6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Cattman cat-back exhaust for 6th Gen

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2005, 11:53 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Here are some before and after pics. What I like about the Cattman system from a visual point of view, is that its improved over the stock "fake" tail pipes, yet isnt overt, like the 4-5" single sewer pipe systems. It is really sharp looking. See for yourself.

What do you guys think?
Old 10-01-2005, 11:54 AM

More pics.
Old 10-01-2005, 12:13 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

hey Dues, that setup looks awesome. cant wait to get the cash for mine.
Old 10-01-2005, 12:44 PM
my rear view mirrors flap like a f-ing bird

I like it.....
Old 10-01-2005, 01:19 PM
Maxima.org Sponsor

Hey Deus, thanks for putting those up, the system looks great on your car. That, and my other experience with the 6th gen really makes me want to trade up my '02...

The Cattman tips are obviously a little larger (I think they're around 70-80mm) than the stock set, but I wonder how much. If you have a tape measure or ruler handy, could you get the inside and outside diameters of the new and old tip openings? On the old set, I'm referring to the opening of the "fake" chrome tip, not the actual exhaust tube inside of it.

Thanks,

Brian C Catts
Cattman Performance
Old 10-01-2005, 04:51 PM

Brian: Here are the measurements of the tips. The old "fake" outer pipe is oval, so I measured the inner and outer x and y axes as follows: Y-axis 2 10/16" inner and 2 14/16 outer; X-axis 2 7/16" inner and 3 2/16 outer. The new tips are round and measure 2 9/16 inner and 2 15/16 outer. Keep in mind, too, that the old tips are angle cut whereas the new tips appear to be cut straight down, at no angle.

For those who want to maintain more stealth, the mufflers could be powdercoated flat black, much like the stock mufflers. I even thought about bronze tips to match my rims, but Im afraid of discoloration due to heat.

By the way, audio/video clips are coming soon. Just wait til you hear this!!!
Old 10-01-2005, 08:41 PM

Very nice setup. I know i asked about this before when this product was still in development but are there any plans to have options on the tips? I would really love to have this set up, the only thing holding me back is that i want oval tips. I'd even be willing to pay a little more, as long as i get what i want in the end.
Old 10-01-2005, 09:02 PM

I'm not sure of the possibility of substitution, but the oval tips are nice too. I am very very pleased with this set up. Everyone loves the sound and the slightly more aggressive look.
Old 10-02-2005, 05:18 PM
Maxima.org Sponsor

Originally Posted by Mystery
Very nice setup. I know i asked about this before when this product was still in development but are there any plans to have options on the tips? I would really love to have this set up, the only thing holding me back is that i want oval tips. I'd even be willing to pay a little more, as long as i get what i want in the end.

We may try some other things down the line, but this is the only style available right now because they are integral to the mufflers.

Brian C Catts
Cattman Performance
Old 10-02-2005, 05:32 PM
Nations 1st 6th Gen Turbo

Not bad dude, nothing but respect, however I am still a big fan of the GReddy SP-II catback system.
Old 10-02-2005, 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by Cattman
We may try some other things down the line, but this is the only style available right now because they are integral to the mufflers.

Brian C Catts
Cattman Performance
Well thats better then never. I'm not even close to being able to purchase this any time soon. So i'll be able to wait.
Old 10-03-2005, 10:18 AM

How loud is that setup... Do you find that it drones when you are just, "sunday driving?" Just wondering if the HP gains > Noise gains. Although that looks wicked mean on your ride. My friend had a 1.6el, with this huge cannon on it. On the highway it was murder driving with it. For the 5-10 hp gain (which we couldn't really feel), I don't think it was worth it.

I have read the post for sound deadening material... Now the weight and cost keep going up and up. So is it even worth it? Is there an exhaust with less restictions that keeps our motors from screaming? Does that exist?

Taylor
Old 10-03-2005, 11:59 AM
Maxima.org Sponsor

The basic exhaust system (w/o a resonator) is "sporty" but even with a performance y-pipe and no cat its not loud. There's no way you'd describe it as "screaming", so certainly such a thing is possible.

Plus, anyone with particular concerns about volume can opt for the resonated version, which will be substantially quieter.

The quietest possible setup would be the catback with resonator, operated with a stock y-pipe (and cat). The loudest possible setup would be the catback w/o a resonator and a performance y-pipe (w/o a cat). That is the system that Deus has on his car (and his comments indicate that its not particularly loud).

If you want to be confident that it won't be too loud, just get the resonated version; unless you're determined for the car to sound like stock (when inside) there's probably no need for sound deadening material.

Sound is a very subjective thing, but I think I can absolutely guarantee that the car will not sound like a 1.6 litre Sentra w/ a grapefruit-shooter exhaust going down the highway.

Brian C Catts
Cattman Performance

Originally Posted by FreeRyder
How loud is that setup... Do you find that it drones when you are just, "sunday driving?" Just wondering if the HP gains > Noise gains. Although that looks wicked mean on your ride. My friend had a 1.6el, with this huge cannon on it. On the highway it was murder driving with it. For the 5-10 hp gain (which we couldn't really feel), I don't think it was worth it.

I have read the post for sound deadening material... Now the weight and cost keep going up and up. So is it even worth it? Is there an exhaust with less restictions that keeps our motors from screaming? Does that exist?

Taylor
Old 10-03-2005, 12:27 PM
Preacha

Originally Posted by Cattman
The resonator won't take away any power, it's a straight-through design, with no louvers protruding into the airstream.

Brian C Catts
Cattman Performance
So, basically your system w/ resonator vs your system w/out resonator will contribute the same gains in horsepower, just difference in sound?

Old 10-03-2005, 01:34 PM

I havent received the resonator to test it, but I imagine it will be quieter. I installed the sound deadening, not only to quiet the exhaust some, but to quiet the car in general from road noise and other outside noise. The exhaust is certainly not unbearable. To the contrary, almost everyone who has ridden in the car, both adults and children, like the sound a LOT. It is very mean sounding, very low exhaust note. The sound deadening was $20, was easy to install (a bit messy with the glue) and was noticeably quieter, and probably weighs a few pounds. Remember, the Cattman exhaust is quite a bit lighter weight, so even with a few pounds of sound deadener, it is still lighter than stock. In my opinion, the exhaust is well worth it. I love coming out to the car in the morning and firing it up and hearing that really deep sound emitting from the pipes.

By the way, I think its important to buy a y pipe along with the catback because the point of most restriction determines the power output. The stock y pipe has a huge crimp in it. If you look at my pics of the stock cat back, it has one HUGE crimp, and several other significant crimps. You need to eliminate ALL the crimps to make the exhaust work right. The Cattman resonator should not be much of a restriction since it contains no baffles. As I indicated, I havent received it yet, but when I do, Ill give you guys my impression of how much it quiets it. Also, I ll post sound and video clips when I get the time.
Old 10-03-2005, 03:16 PM
Maxima.org Sponsor

Originally Posted by Preacha
So, basically your system w/ resonator vs your system w/out resonator will contribute the same gains in horsepower, just difference in sound?

Exactly.

BCC
Old 10-11-2005, 06:16 PM
Maxima.org Sponsor

2004+ Maxima exhausts now in stock

The new Cattman 04+ Maxima exhausts are in stock now and ready to ship.

Brian C Catts
Cattman Performance
Orders: 520.730.9309 (w/ tech support) and 800.759.9920 (w/o tech support)
Tech ?s: bcatts@cattman.com

Cattmobile: 02 6M Maxima w/ Cattman Performance (CP) combo intake, CP headers/y-pipe, CP FastCat, 2.5" CP catback, CP short shift kit, Energy Suspension shifter bushings, CP coilovers, CP FSTB, Progress RSB, 245.45.18 Toyo Proxes4 tires, 18x8 ROH Drift R rims
Old 10-11-2005, 07:22 PM

Great to hear.. any sound clips ready?
Old 10-11-2005, 07:25 PM
.org extraordinaire

Wow

I'm arleady having wet dreams about this exaust system, I had a custom made exaust for my OLDS with Magnaflows and a 3" pipe with a highflow cat all the way from the heads. WOW!!! This is my old setup which I miss very much.

After the fantastic experience with my lowering kit purchase and all the help from Brian of Cattman Performance, im looking forward to this kit.

One thing you can trust from Catman is outstanding customer support and excellent product quality.

Brian I will be contacting you for one of thease systems after christmass as I want my Max to sound and feel like it means business.

Take Care,

Kam Kluczewski
Old 10-12-2005, 06:50 AM
SuPeRmOd

Cattman Cattback Exhaust Discussion

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=434053

So they're out! and 2 versions to boot. you choose a resonator option, nice.

I'm wondering, the oem tips have drain holes. Are they necessary in these? Your setup looks soooo clean. Maybe fluid will just come out? I know oem has a rolled lip.

Can't wait for sound clips. Brian, please post some here if possible, and also the dynos when available.
Old 10-12-2005, 10:51 AM

Ill try to post sound/video clips in the next couple days in a new thread.
Old 10-12-2005, 02:33 PM

Hey Dues, this part includes the Y-pipe, catalytic converter, all the tubing and two mufflers right? I want to buy one of those systems, but it has to look stock, and sound stock. The fines for modificated exhausts in PR are $100 each, and they are very active on this. Had an aftermarket muffler on my PT cruiser for 6 months, had 3 $100 tickets for excessive sound...
Old 10-12-2005, 02:48 PM

I have a y pipe on my car, but its from CE. The Cattman exhaust includes the piping after the y pipe, the split before the mufflers, and the mufflers themselves. If u have exhaust police, u may want to opt for the additional resonator which he sells as an option.
Old 10-12-2005, 05:03 PM

Yeah that would be the best deal. The thing is that then I would have to buy a Y-pipe and I believe that an intake. So we're talking about a number close to $1k, too much for me at this moment. I think I'm going the way of the RSB first...
Old 10-12-2005, 06:36 PM

Its better to improve ur suspension before engine performance anyway, but save ur pennies for the exhaust - its worth it.
Old 10-13-2005, 01:15 PM
Maxima.org Sponsor

Originally Posted by Wakkus_Maximus
Yeah that would be the best deal. The thing is that then I would have to buy a Y-pipe and I believe that an intake. So we're talking about a number close to $1k, too much for me at this moment. I think I'm going the way of the RSB first...

I'd just add that there's no reason to feel like these other intake/exhaust parts HAVE to go with the catback exhaust. Sure, they're worthwhile parts, but no reason at all you can't run the catback by itself (because it will make power by itself). I'm sure we'll have a number of customers who only add the catback.

Brian C Catts
Cattman Performance
Old 10-15-2005, 06:55 PM
.org extraordinaire

Cattman

wait you guys do make a y-pipe for the 6th gen right?

If so,

How much for a Y pipe, including high-flow cat or two, and catback system with resonator?

Thanks,

Kam
Old 10-16-2005, 03:38 PM
Maxima.org Sponsor

Originally Posted by kamilkluczewski
wait you guys do make a y-pipe for the 6th gen right?

If so,

How much for a Y pipe, including high-flow cat or two, and catback system with resonator?

Thanks,

Kam

No, we don't have a gen6 y-pipe yet, but will be designing a one at the same time we do the gen6 header set.

Look for something in the December-January timeframe.

Brian C Catts
Cattman Performance
Old 10-18-2005, 11:21 AM
.org extraordinaire

$

What do you expect as a full Header to Tips; Price with Cats and Reso?

Thanks,

Kam
Old 10-18-2005, 01:33 PM
Maxima.org Sponsor

Originally Posted by kamilkluczewski
What do you expect as a full Header to Tips; Price with Cats and Reso?

Thanks,

Kam

Sorry Kam, I have no idea what we'll need to charge for a gen6 header set that's not developed yet. Whatever it is, the cat will probably add about $150 to the price, which is less than what we charge for the seperate Cattman FastCat we sell for the 97-03.

Brian C Catts
Cattman Performance
Old 10-22-2005, 10:36 AM
Newbie just Registered

I met Dues last night at the LA area meet, more than 2 dozen Maxes with 5 6th gens (pics soon). His car sounds mean and smooth, not ricey. You'd know that there was a modded Nissan/Infiniti coming. As for resonator or no resonator; it's definitely sounds more sporty w/o. If you don't want much sound then you might want to.
Old 10-22-2005, 01:15 PM

Come on Deus still waiting for those audio clips of new exhaust, want to hear it before I buy it.
Old 10-22-2005, 01:39 PM

Ill work on getting them today. Ill post it in a new thread. You will NOT be disappointed.
Old 10-22-2005, 09:42 PM

interested in the sound too! Can't wait to get my Max, all these parts coming out I am going to have some fun with it!
Old 10-26-2005, 02:28 PM

dude that exhaust is awesome
Old 02-25-2007, 08:06 AM

wow this threads long time...well i was searching and found this i said still too much money what you think/.???
http://www.sportcompactonly.com/Catb...parts_c-27.htm
Old 02-26-2007, 12:41 PM

Have any one here bought one of this cattback exhuast from ebay..??? i need some opinions
Old 03-05-2007, 06:49 PM

any one ???
Old 03-06-2007, 04:22 PM

Just get the Cattman exhaust. I love the response and power. Oh, and the sound is nice too.
Old 03-06-2007, 06:39 PM

thx you i will need save money i got y-pipe today my struts and spring and rims waiting on brakes to arrive i need MMI where i can get it????

Quick Reply: Cattman cat-back exhaust for 6th Gen