6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Cattman cat-back exhaust for 6th Gen

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2007, 08:00 AM

some one come out with other catback exhaust less money mean less quality???
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/04-05...92597269QQrdZ1
Old 03-17-2007, 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by SEGirl
thx you i will need save money i got y-pipe today my struts and spring and rims waiting on brakes to arrive i need MMI where i can get it????

I just install the MMI ...

PM Taz , Racingline...

The install of the rear mounts sucked azz cause you need to drop the sub frame to get to it.

Depending on your mileage , I would try to replace your Motor Mounts with the MMI at the same time to save time and money. It will help in the long run since the 6th gen Motor Mounts arent the greatest.

I got the front and rear MMI around $65 bucks for both Shipped.
Old 03-17-2007, 12:42 PM
Maxima.org Sponsor

Originally Posted by SEGirl
some one come out with other catback exhaust less money mean less quality???
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/04-05...92597269QQrdZ1

Its easy to find cheap chinese parts, and yes - oddly enough - less than half the price does mean less quality. Check out the claim they repeat several times about "lightweight tubing" as if that's an advantage, what a hoot. This is paper-thin stainless, and cheap stainless at that. Very subject to cracking and worthless for heat-retention, one of s/s's best features. Also, I'll point out with a tiny resonator like that you'll be constantly be in the drone zone.

BCC
Old 03-17-2007, 01:01 PM

Brian, it might be helpful if you update your website. I would like to see your products but nothing is listed for 04+.
Old 03-24-2007, 04:04 PM
briancopeland

I put my Cattman Catback Exhaust on today. LOVE IT!!! It sounds SO mellow. It went on in less than 30 minutes and included EVERYTHING I needed to get it installed. What a quality piece of work!!! I'm going to have to adjust the stock hangers to get it looking perfect, but man I can't imagine the Greddy one being any better. Can't WAIT for those Cattman Headers!!!

Old 03-24-2007, 04:13 PM

Is your Y pipe on too? Do you have any drone at 1800-2200rpm?
Old 03-24-2007, 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by Pronto
Yes.. that is the question I am dying to know the answer to. My NISMO on the Altima SE I had was awful at that RPM range.
Old 03-24-2007, 05:40 PM

can someone upload a vid i wanna hear the sound i havent purchased this yet cause im scared of the sound
Old 03-24-2007, 06:15 PM
TC*

Im interested in a vid too. Being in NY i need an exhaust with a cat. Does anyone have a sound clip? Thanks.
Old 03-24-2007, 06:40 PM
I Donate! Why Don't You?

Originally Posted by Kashanova
can someone upload a vid i wanna hear the sound i havent purchased this yet cause im scared of the sound
and the word of the day is .......+1
Old 03-24-2007, 09:08 PM
briancopeland

Originally Posted by Pronto
NO Drone. Sounds SWEET!!! The whole RANGE!!! Besides, who hangs around 1800-2200 for more tha 1/2 a second in OUR cars???

I was VERY afraid of the sound as I don't want to go RICER with my Max. The sound is very LOW and MELLOW - Not obnoxious, whatsoever.

Don't think I have a way of posting SOUND easily, but am open to suggestions...

Old 03-24-2007, 09:54 PM
Maxima.org Sponsor

Forgive me if you're familiar with this, but I'll point out that the primary cat is integrated with the stock y-pipe (and the pre-cats are seperate units that bolt between the y-pipe and manifolds). The catback being discussed here doesn't involve any aspect of the emissions system.

I'll use the opportunity to mention that the Cattman performance y-pipes currently in development for the 04-07 Maxima and 05/06 Altima V6 will include an EPA-approved 3-stage primary cat. We'll be integrating a Cattman FastCat, a thick stainless steel "barrel" with a European-made, 200-cell, all-metal catalytic substrate (its used in lot of $300-400 BMW and Audi performance cats). Its the only cat sold for the earlier Maximas that is street legal and will actually make more power than a fresh stock cat. Hate to brag, but this thing is incredible (and expensive) - it makes any ceramic (non-)performance cat look like a joke and is the only cat of its type with an EPA rating that ensures a successful emission test.

We tested a FastCat on the sniffer at the dealership, and that VQ35DE with bolt-ons and headers (and neither pre-cat) cleaned up as well or better than a stock Maxima with all its emissions equipment. We cannot guarantee those results for everyone, that that's our experience.

Brian

Originally Posted by TC*
Im interested in a vid too. Being in NY i need an exhaust with a cat. Does anyone have a sound clip? Thanks.
Old 03-24-2007, 10:18 PM
.org extraordinaire

Originally Posted by Cattman
We tested a FastCat on the sniffer at the dealership, and that VQ35DE with bolt-ons and headers (and neither pre-cat) cleaned up as well or better than a stock Maxima with all its emissions equipment. We cannot guarantee those results for everyone, that that's our experience.
Brian
Forgive me......

YOUR MY FREAKIN HERO MAN!!!!

When are you releasing the entire system

I need some go fast goodies for my car this year

Kamski
Old 03-24-2007, 10:18 PM
Maxima.org Sponsor

I'm not writing this to be critical, but I'd like to point something out. For the people looking for sound clips, I wish there was a solution, but have you ever heard a sound clip and then listened to the actual car? They don't even sound close - that's why we don't do the clip thing.

All the lowest frequencies and tonal subtleties are lost, and its impossible to know how loud it really is - that's a function of the volume setting on your sound card, it doesn't have anything to do with the car that was recorded. A loud exhaust can sound quiet, a quiet exhaust loud... no way to know where the volume should be.

The reactions of different individuals to the same exhaust system is pretty variable. I'd say that about 1 in 10 customers wish ours was quieter, and about the same number wish it was louder. As I've commented before, you can't make a true performance exhaust with a sound that pleases everybody, but I think we come pretty close to the "sweet spot" in the market. These exhausts now include our new 22"/555mm resonator, with some super specifications and 20% more length than the previous component, so that should make a nice bit of difference in the exhaust volume/tone.

Brian
Old 03-24-2007, 10:37 PM
Maxima.org Sponsor

In stages. Catback's out there now, of course. The y-pipe/FastCat for the 5/auto will be out next, followed by a 6M version (that should also fit the 07 Maxima, from what I hear). Header manifolds for 5/auto and 6M follow next, assuming we can solve the O2 snafu that Hotshot ran into.

Mentioning right up front that I've got a terrible record for predicting product release dates, I'm hoping to see the first y-pipe in production within 3 months and some header manifolds by late summer/early fall. Of course there will be dyno testing along the way on parts like these, which should be real interesting because I've got no idea what to expect.

The performance y-pipe for the 02/03 VQ35DE doesn't make a huge amount of power, but the 04+ could be an entirely different situation because although the motor is the same, the y-pipe/cat combination is radically different from the corresponding parts on the 02/03.

Headers should be interesting too, though I won't be surprised if the overall performance from the header/y-pipe/cat combination comes in around where the header/y-pipe performance is on the 02/03, i.e. 23-25whp. Who knows, the stock exhaust manifolds changed significantly and surprisingly, the 04+'s plenum-style manifolds seem to appear a lot more primitive than the more tubular predecessors. The pair I saw looked like something off a Ford flathead V8.

Brian

Originally Posted by kamilkluczewski
Forgive me......

YOUR MY FREAKIN HERO MAN!!!!

When are you releasing the entire system

I need some go fast goodies for my car this year

Kamski
Old 03-24-2007, 10:54 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Brian what size are the y-pipes going to be? 3" or 2.5"?
Old 03-24-2007, 11:12 PM
Maxima.org Sponsor

Originally Posted by Nietzsche
Brian what size are the y-pipes going to be? 3" or 2.5"?
Not sure what size we'll choose yet, though I think that 3" would be too large.

Brian
Old 03-25-2007, 06:38 AM

I'm interested full system. Sounds like it would a nice step up in performance and looks and sound. I was refering to Brianco's CE Ypipe on the question of drone. If your system can keep that annoying issue minimized I bet you will sell quite a few of these systems. Something else that I would like to comment on. I used the word system. This is one thing that has always annoyed me about modding an exhaust. Most people add one piece from one manufacturer and something else from another. All kinds of issues creep up and usually the end result is not the best but albeit better than stock. Also the patchwork system is not always the cheapest way to go. I think your system starting with catback and then to the Y and headers later would be good for people to test and tune each step. If they are satified with each step they could stay there or add on with confidence. Looking forward to seeing the whole system.
Old 03-25-2007, 07:11 AM

Originally Posted by briancopeland
NO Drone. Sounds SWEET!!! The whole RANGE!!! Besides, who hangs around 1800-2200 for more tha 1/2 a second in OUR cars???

I was VERY afraid of the sound as I don't want to go RICER with my Max. The sound is very LOW and MELLOW - Not obnoxious, whatsoever.

Don't think I have a way of posting SOUND easily, but am open to suggestions...

Brian, let me know if you are interested in getting your car dynoed as I have some peeps that are right next to me in Woodstock.
Old 03-25-2007, 08:46 AM
aka The Doom Ship

Originally Posted by chernmax
Not bad dude, nothing but respect, however I am still a big fan of the GReddy SP-II catback system.
+1

The cans look a little too small.
Old 03-25-2007, 09:37 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by AllBlackMax
+1

The cans look a little too small.

Ahhh thats why I love this site. You can almost always see what someone else has done and decide if you like it. I like the Cattman dual mufflers, the would fit with my theme and taste better. (Not to mention I think the Greddy's would scrape the road on my car)

Courtesy of previous pics posted here on the org......

My car with stock exhaust:

Greddy system on AllBlackMax's car

and
Dues's ride with Cattman exhaust

Not trying to start a debate here just putting it out there so each can decide with some nice side by side pix.
Old 03-25-2007, 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by TC*
hey man i hear u, bx here
Old 03-25-2007, 11:10 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by Apollos2
Ahhh thats why I love this site. You can almost always see what someone else has done and decide if you like it. I like the Cattman dual mufflers, the would fit with my theme and taste better. (Not to mention I think the Greddy's would scrape the road on my car)

Courtesy of previous pics posted here on the org......

Stock: my car:

Greddy system on AllBlackMax's car

and
Dues's ride

Not trying to start a debate here just putting it out there so each can decide with some nice side by side pix.
I think the Cattman looks better and tasteful, but I think the Greddy is quieter. I'm considering Cattman with resonator.
Old 03-25-2007, 07:52 PM
briancopeland

Took a picture of mine today:

Old 03-26-2007, 06:45 AM

Looks nice. Let me know if you are ever interested in a dyno. Wouldnt mind hearing the exhaust as well.
Old 03-26-2007, 08:14 AM
Maxima.org Sponsor

I don't believe that you'll find that the Greddy is quieter than the Cattman catback for any Maxima.

I've heard several times that ours seems quieter on the 04+, and we've sold at least 2 Cattman catbacks to customers that were taking off the Greddys because they were louder than they liked. Droning, or excessive resonance, is part of that too - that's just a matter of components, our resonator is quite a bit larger and no one, anywhere, makes a better one.

A Cattman 04+ catback without a resonator would probably be louder than a Greddy, but they're only available that way on a special order basis now.

Brian C Catts
Cattman Performance

Originally Posted by Max_Ash
I think the Cattman looks better and tasteful, but I think the Greddy is quieter. I'm considering Cattman with resonator.
Old 03-26-2007, 08:19 AM
Maxima.org Sponsor

Nice pics, Brian. Although the back panels of our mufflers are visible, you can see that we didn't go for the huge polished muffler can look.

BCC

Originally Posted by briancopeland
Took a picture of mine today:

Old 03-26-2007, 01:23 PM

I just bought a Greddy SP-2 system for the 6th gen I will verify if it drones or not when I get it installed tomorrow. But I haven't heard of anyone that has had saying it drones though.
Old 03-26-2007, 09:47 PM
briancopeland

Nice pics, Brian. Although the back panels of our mufflers are visible, you can see that we didn't go for the huge polished muffler can look.

BCC
Looks great. Although, I think I need to adjust the car's hangers to get it looking JUST right (a little higher and a little less crooked). That said, I'm happy that you saw that I got it on quickly as I made you ship it so fast ;-) Thanks, again!!!

Old 03-27-2007, 05:39 PM

Forgive me if you're familiar with this, but I'll point out that the primary cat is integrated with the stock y-pipe (and the pre-cats are seperate units that bolt between the y-pipe and manifolds). The catback being discussed here doesn't involve any aspect of the emissions system.

I'll use the opportunity to mention that the Cattman performance y-pipes currently in development for the 04-07 Maxima and 05/06 Altima V6 will include an EPA-approved 3-stage primary cat. We'll be integrating a Cattman FastCat, a thick stainless steel "barrel" with a European-made, 200-cell, all-metal catalytic substrate (its used in lot of $300-400 BMW and Audi performance cats). Its the only cat sold for the earlier Maximas that is street legal and will actually make more power than a fresh stock cat. Hate to brag, but this thing is incredible (and expensive) - it makes any ceramic (non-)performance cat look like a joke and is the only cat of its type with an EPA rating that ensures a successful emission test.

Brian
Brian, I shot you an email the other but figured I'd post here just to continue to express interest in seeing you guys develop for the Altima platform. I noticed you said here that the y-pipe will work with the 05/06 VQ35 Altimas, excellent news! Were you able to make any progress on the Cattman catback for the VQ35 Altimas by chance?
Old 03-29-2007, 01:38 AM

how much is this cat back system running for these days?
Old 03-29-2007, 02:51 PM
Maxima.org Sponsor

Originally Posted by kroyo_MAX
how much is this cat back system running for these days?

The price is $849, and I have one system left (w/ the new resonator, BTW). If you miss out on that one, there's a "backorder discount" of 5% if you order in advance, which brings the price down to almost $800. We don't charge the CC till the part's ready to ship, but you get the discount and a lock on the part when its ready.

Give us a call to order, 520.575.6195, open 9:30-5:30 MST (same as west coast time), M-F.

Brian C Catts
Cattman Performance
Old 03-29-2007, 06:51 PM
I Donate! Why Don't You?

Brian, how are we doing with a new grill. People seem to miss RLM grill alot, do you have anything to offer?
Old 03-30-2007, 01:03 PM
Maxima.org Sponsor

Originally Posted by xoomer.com
Brian, how are we doing with a new grill. People seem to miss RLM grill alot, do you have anything to offer?

Funny you should ask. I received sample grills (upper and lower) for the 04-06 Maxima the other day and they appear to be quite well made.

What I haven't had the time to do is put them on a car so I can take pictures and show those around. We're having a small Cattman picnic/meet on Sunday [Cattman 01 April picnic/meet] and I'm hoping to set them up for pictures then. Not sure how that will work out because I think they're supposed to replace the stock grill, rather than overlay it, but hopefully we can set them in place and take some pics.

It would be a nice product because based on the prices I'd have to pay, we could offer these for under $100/set (both grills).

Brian C Catts
Cattman Performance
Old 03-30-2007, 01:57 PM
I Donate! Why Don't You?

Funny you should ask. I received sample grills (upper and lower) for the 04-06 Maxima the other day and they appear to be quite well made.

What I haven't had the time to do is put them on a car so I can take pictures and show those around. We're having a small Cattman picnic/meet on Sunday [Cattman 01 April picnic/meet] and I'm hoping to set them up for pictures then. Not sure how that will work out because I think they're supposed to replace the stock grill, rather than overlay it, but hopefully we can set them in place and take some pics.

It would be a nice product because based on the prices I'd have to pay, we could offer these for under $100/set (both grills).

Brian C Catts
Cattman Performance
NIIIICE. I need pics like yesterday Brian. If the grill looks good (close to what the recommendation earlier were) you just sold one. Please post pics ASAP, lots of people here want to change grills but AT seems to be only one decent option, altough pricey. If people here like your grill, they should be flying off the shelf at the price you've just mentioned.
Old 03-30-2007, 03:00 PM
Maxima.org Sponsor

Oh-oh, if I'd really been thinking, I would have realized I was going to give the wrong impression.

We should find a different thread for this discussion (go back to the original?), but this is not a freshly "designed" set that I have right now. It is a sample grill from the company that we're considering as a grill projects partner. [I wanted to see their work before we got too serious.] I'll wait until I can put them on a car to do pics - its a billet design, polished and black, horizontally linear, no split in the middle and no "edge" around the perimeter. We'll have to see how it looks on the car.

Brian

Originally Posted by xoomer.com
NIIIICE. I need pics like yesterday Brian. If the grill looks good (close to what the recommendation earlier were) you just sold one. Please post pics ASAP, lots of people here want to change grills but AT seems to be only one decent option, altough pricey. If people here like your grill, they should be flying off the shelf at the price you've just mentioned.
Old 03-31-2007, 03:24 PM
briancopeland

We should find a different thread for this discussion (go back to the original?)
Move it over to here:

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=507773

You may get some pre-orders from these guys looking for grills!

Old 04-02-2007, 08:55 AM
I Donate! Why Don't You?

So Brian, any updates/pictures???
Old 04-12-2007, 12:37 PM
briancopeland

Brian (Brian C. Cattman, that is) I'm Brian C. Copeland and it's confusing as hell to know who's posting. Since it's YOUR catback we're talking about I will ASSUME any messages for "Brian" are for you ;-) Just a note to say that I took my '05 up to the NC mountains for the weekend. The exhaust was a "symphony" of musical notes! Especially, in 2nd and 3rd gear! My 66 year-old father even enjoyed riding with me and commented on how well my exhaust sounded. Did I get the one with the resonater? Just curious. I know there was SOMETHING there in the middle in place of a the third cat, but wasn't sure if it was the one with the resonater you're talking about here. Regardless, ME LIKEY. Very happy! It does DRONE a bit on the highway (makes me switch to "manumatic" and KEEP it in 4th gear), but other than that, it sounds REALLY good and I couldn't be happier!

Also, it seems like it took TWO weeks for the ECU to adjust and give me the extra HP. Is this possible or is it my imagination? Finally, my CE Y-pipe has BOTTOMED out around 10 times since I put it on around 6 weeks ago. Did you say that YOURS will not have this problem? How do you manage that and still not have the "kinks" that the stock Y-Pipe has? Regardless, I am so happy with my Catback that I'll be buying YOUR Y-pipe and headers, assuming they're available BEFORE I turn fifty ;-)

Old 04-14-2007, 09:28 PM
Maxima.org Sponsor

Wow, great testimonial, Brian. I'm really glad you're pleased with the product, thanks for taking the time to put that down! Your exhaust has the original resonator we chose for this system. Nothing wrong with that, as you note, it sounds great.

We had the parts on hand to recently build one system with our new REZ22 resonator, and installed it on a local car so I could check the sound. Although there wasn't another car (w/ the old resonator) to compare side-by-side, it seemed quieter. I wouldn't call it a huge difference, but it was noticeable. The next production batch, due later this month, will include the REZ22.

BTW, we're offering $50 discounts for 04-07 Maxima catback backorders placed before the new stock comes in.

Brian

Quick Reply: Cattman cat-back exhaust for 6th Gen