6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

how many people would be interested in a skid plate to cover the y-pipe

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2005, 10:42 AM

how many people would be interested in a skid plate to cover the y-pipe

if i can get enough people interested in this then i will spend the money and fabricate the piece myself. it would be made out of probably 3/16 or 1/4 " diamond plate. which is not exactly cheap stuff to come by. but this would be good for protecting the y-pipe and would also tighten the chassis and would also lower the cars center of gravity. thought probably not enough to make much of a difference.this would also improve the airflow under the car. please reply if you are interested or e-mail me if have improvements or idea's. please.
Old 07-21-2005, 12:58 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

hmmmm dont think ill be off roading my max anytime soon.
Old 07-21-2005, 01:09 PM
GrandPa

Originally Posted by maxmale
if i can get enough people interested in this then i will spend the money and fabricate the piece myself. it would be made out of probably 3/16 or 1/4 " diamond plate. which is not exactly cheap stuff to come by. but this would be good for protecting the y-pipe and would also tighten the chassis and would also lower the cars center of gravity. thought probably not enough to make much of a difference.this would also improve the airflow under the car. please reply if you are interested or e-mail me if have improvements or idea's. please.
Here goes my 2 cents. It sounds like a good idea but I suggest that you make one for yourself and test it out. Than post pictures and test results. Later Warren
Old 07-21-2005, 01:47 PM

i ws already going to do that. i was just gauging interest.
Old 07-21-2005, 05:22 PM
Moderator GT-R

On what does your y-pipe drag?
Old 07-21-2005, 05:45 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

and there's no way that the little piece of metal you are talking about is going to lower the center of gravity, nor is it going to stiffen the chassis.

airflow is going to be messed up by so much other stuff under the car that you can forget about any improved aerodynamics.

admit it...you think it would be cool and are trying to dream up reasons to talk yourself into it....
Old 07-21-2005, 07:42 PM

Are you talking about covering just the y-pipe or a majority of the bottom of the car?
Either way, the last thing I need is for something else to rattle... Hope you use some rubber bushings when you mount the shield.
Old 07-22-2005, 06:43 AM

damn you people are harsh. it would cover a majority of the front end. id actually like to extend it all the way to the front of the fender to help with scratches and what not.
Old 07-22-2005, 07:47 AM
wsu

application

Originally Posted by maxmale
damn you people are harsh. it would cover a majority of the front end. id actually like to extend it all the way to the front of the fender to help with scratches and what not.

This is purely speculation, because I don't know the driving situations of any of the people who posted on this string, but I could see a legitimate reason(s) for putting a skid plate on one's Maxima. Probably the majority of Maxima owners limit their driving to urban/pavement or highway driving, for which a skid plate might be superfluous, but if a skid plate didn't cost a lot of money and did not otherwise negatively impact the car's performance, I would consider it. When I go fishing, some of the areas I drive are grown high with weeds or the gravel/dirt roads are such that the car is at risk of bottoming out (fortunately, this has not actually happened yet). Furthermore, many driveways or even business entries can have abrupt vertical angles or dips such that the bottom of the vehicle is contacted. A skid plate would be a reasonable precaution to preclude certain vehicle damage in these situations.

One more thing, I'm pretty sure that a skid plate would indeed lower the center of gravity of the car-perhaps not significantly, but strictly speaking I believe it would have to have such an effect.
Old 07-22-2005, 08:25 AM

If I had a Y-Pipe I might consider it. I scrape my Greddy pipes toward the front when I go over speed bumps cause of my drop. Have to hit it an angle. Good luck to you with the project