6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Nissan Encourages Performance Upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2005, 11:57 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Nissan Encourages Performance Upgrades

Hi Everyone!

A friend of mine up here in Montreal who sells performance parts for Nissans' spoke with a Nissan Canada Marketing Rep who wanted the names of the dealerships that were asking owners to remove the mods before honoring warranties. Apparently Nissans new position on performance upgrades is this:

1. Nissan wants to be recognized as a performance leader in the industry and is prepared to encourage owners to upgrade their vehicles as long as they are not racing their vehicles publicly or professionally.Warranties on vehicles with mods will be honored.

2. The upgrades or mods that are sanctioned are as follows. CAMS, Cold Air Intakes, CAT Backs, Mufflers, Most Super-chargers (Such as Vortech) , suspension upgrades. Audio/Video systems (electrical). Any Nismo part.

3. The parts must be from recognized industry leaders. (Stillen, Injen, etc.)

4. Installation must be done by professionals. (Mods, Audio/Video)

5. Turbos are not encouraged!

6. Nissan ( and Infiniti) are particularly interested in owners with moded vehicles who participate in shows where prizes are awarded for mods. (Free Advertising for Nissan).

Mod away my fellow Maxi-friends!
Old 08-23-2005, 12:04 PM
I'm needing a caw

Yeah right. So can we come to you to pay when the Nissan dealer refuses to honor the warranty because of an intake? Remember, Nissan dealers are privately owned. Each has their own policy
Old 08-23-2005, 12:05 PM
SuPeRmOd

incredible news, but means jack w/o an official statement by Nissan in print. So they'll warrant Screens and PS2s, etc? Seems unlikely. This could means everything to Org members with their approved mods.
But this is from Canada....

Originally Posted by Jeff92se
Nissan dealers are privately owned. Each has their own policy
^^^ Biggest reason why this would never fly. Warranty work is frowned upon as is, it'll be tough to find a dealer willing to accept more.
Old 08-23-2005, 12:22 PM

Jeff don't be so negative man. My dealer installs the Greddy Cat back and they are installing all my mods. And they told me that they will honor my warranty. And they are honoring a fellow Max owner's blown 6 speed....even though with all his mods we know he must have been racing.
Old 08-23-2005, 12:23 PM
I'm needing a caw

That's nice. Looks like you found the one in a million honest Nissan dealer. Try that in the states.

Originally Posted by xorbitman
Jeff don't be so negative man. My dealer installs the Greddy Cat back and they are installing all my mods. And they told me that they will honor my warranty. And they are honoring a fellow Max owner's blown 6 speed....even though with all his mods we know he must have been racing.
Old 08-23-2005, 12:25 PM

And Jeff, I know what you are saying...let's see if we can encourage Nissan to come out with something public...written would be nice. By the way my dealer was chosen to upgrade a stock 350Z to Nismo performance specs with decals and all for our car show here earlier this year...man you should have seen that beauty!
Old 08-23-2005, 12:28 PM
I'm needing a caw

Maybe we can gather all the Nissan dealers in a circle, sing Kumbaya and roast marshmellows over the camfire.

And Jeff, I know what you are saying...let's see if we can encourage Nissan to come out with something public...written would be nice. By the way my dealer was chosen to upgrade a stock 350Z to Nismo performance specs with decals and all for our car show here earlier this year...man you should have seen that beauty!
Old 08-23-2005, 12:30 PM

Ok Lol Kumbaya!
Old 08-23-2005, 12:33 PM
SuPeRmOd

I have marshmallows!

The dealers would warrant Nismo parts except.... were ostracized. Funny though how a recent Mag article linked included the Maxima as one of Nismo's recipients. But Mags are gosspel!!!!
Old 08-23-2005, 12:33 PM
Going Ginsu

Yeah right. So can we come to you to pay when the Nissan dealer refuses to honor the warranty because of an intake? Remember, Nissan dealers are privately owned. Each has their own policy
The local one will talk you up about voiding the engine warranty for a K&N panel filter. Or how non-OEM tires can void suspension/transmission warranty.
Old 08-23-2005, 12:41 PM
SuPeRmOd

Originally Posted by savagecat
The local one will talk you up about voiding the engine warranty for a K&N panel filter. Or how non-OEM tires can void suspension/transmission warranty.
wait, you seriously heard someone claim warranty void due to tires now that person was just plain moronic and I would tell everyone and their momma he is a crook, especially Nissan.

btw, in case you somehow think i'm way off: I had my oem tires replaced under warranty with another name.
Old 08-23-2005, 12:42 PM
Conecarver

The "publicly vs professionally" could be important. In the USA there are rumors of bounties being paid by local dealers for proof of modded cars running local amateur racing events like autox and drag. The proof is then used to deny warranty coverages.
Old 08-23-2005, 01:18 PM
Going Ginsu

Originally Posted by NismoMax80
wait, you seriously heard someone claim warranty void due to tires now that person was just plain moronic and I would tell everyone and their momma he is a crook, especially Nissan.
My razor keen sense of intuition tells me you've never contacted Nissan Corporate. They won't answer warranty questions unless you give them your VIN. Of course I've figured a few VINs out for emergies (like can I NOS my Maxima and still get my transmission covered), but still ....

btw, in case you somehow think i'm way off: I had my oem tires replaced under warranty with another name.
A buddy works at an area Honda shop ... oh the stories. Half the time the cars on the racks are theirs.
Old 08-23-2005, 03:22 PM

That's nice. Looks like you found the one in a million honest Nissan dealer. Try that in the states.
I understand your negativity! My dealer here in new york has no problem with it!
Old 08-23-2005, 03:27 PM
I'm needing a caw

You mean you have had some warranty work done on already?

Originally Posted by 20"by10"
I understand your negativity! My dealer here in new york has no problem with it!
Old 08-23-2005, 03:37 PM
Newbie just Registered

...A friend of mine up here in Montreal who sells performance parts for Nissans' spoke with a Nissan Canada Marketing Rep ...
I would ask you to ask your friend to call Nissan warranty department, not some marketing rep. I know because I use to be a marketing rep, and this sounds like a marketing line to me.
Since:
WHAT IS NOT COVERED:

DAMAGE, FAILURES OR CORROSION DUE TO ACCIDENTS, MISUSE OR ALTERATIONS:
- Installation of non-Nissan approved accessories or components.

- Improper installation of any Nissan-approved or aftermarket accessory or component.
link
Old 08-23-2005, 03:46 PM
Newbie just Registered

Some dealers may overlook certain mods to retain the service and satisfy customers. However, if Nissan caught them on servicing parts that could have been damaged by "alterations", the dealer could get in trouble with Nissan, as much as if they get repeated negative customer reviews.
Old 08-23-2005, 04:17 PM
Going Ginsu

You mean you have had some warranty work done on already?
I really hope you're kidding....
3750 brake wobble
7000 " "
11250 " "
15000 brakes refinished
18750 brake wobble
22500 " "
26250 " "

So I'm rolling up on 30K and would like to have my brakes replaced completely - rotors, calipers, pads. I'm not exactly holding my breath.
Old 08-23-2005, 04:24 PM
I'm needing a caw

So you are running x drilled and or aftermarket wheels too correct?
Old 08-23-2005, 04:42 PM

"So I'm rolling up on 30K and would like to have my brakes replaced completely - rotors, calipers, pads. I'm not exactly holding my breath."

Are brakes covered in the 36K warranty???

Anyway my dealer has done almost all of my mod installs except for the springs.
JJT
Old 08-23-2005, 05:04 PM
Going Ginsu

So you are running x drilled and or aftermarket wheels too correct?
...and aftermarket valve stems.
Old 08-23-2005, 05:09 PM
Going Ginsu

Originally Posted by JiuJitsuThug
"So I'm rolling up on 30K and would like to have my brakes replaced completely - rotors, calipers, pads. I'm not exactly holding my breath."

Are brakes covered in the 36K warranty???

Anyway my dealer has done almost all of my mod installs except for the springs.
JJT
Up until the 15K mark they had to kiss my butt under the lemon law. So now I've got to prove persistant problem to Nissan. I complained to Nissan Corp and got told that the local dealer will be in contact with me. Yeah, :

This will give me an excuse to get Stillen's 4 piston brake kit.
Old 08-23-2005, 06:34 PM
SuPeRmOd

My razor keen sense of intuition tells me you've never contacted Nissan Corporate. They won't answer warranty questions unless you give them your VIN. Of course I've figured a few VINs out for emergies (like can I NOS my Maxima and still get my transmission covered), but still ....
your intutition sucks then. I've talk to several people at Nissan, even had them call me and have a 1.5 hour convo about a lot of issues. I posted what I was told last year.
Specific to this topic:
"Warranty of a specific part is only void if a modification causes that oem part to malfunction. The decision is at the discretion of the independent dealer. Deosn't matter who makes it or installs it."

If a dealer decides to warrant the work they do fo you, that's their choice. Most will tell you even if they install it and it fails, you're on your own.

Now Nismo is different, but of course, unavailable for Maximas.

You don't need to lie about VINs, just be honest and inquisitive.

I think 1 dealer is encouraging mods to profit off a growing business.
Old 08-23-2005, 11:41 PM

Wow what did I start?!

My dealer sells the Nismo AEM CAI to Max owners and says its an approved part. Of course one would be prudent to remove this just berfore winter up here just in case we get a bad one....ahem. Not for anything that Intrawest owns Mount Tremblant, Quebec......and Denver Colorado......and Whistler BC!(My other passion.....my new parabolic racing skis!) Opps did I say that....in August?

I kinda agree with Carcus about the whole HP thing, I did mine mostly for show and tell and the sound. This is a soul searching thing...going back to my 350CI Vette days. She was called Darth Vader...LOL and she looked like a flatend version of the Helmet! Complete with the Black & White fuzzies! I'm going to knock myself out laughing now! Cragar Mags, Thrush Mufflers, Hurst Tranny....JBL....pioneer...aaaaaaahhhhh! Etc...etc....etc....Sorry for the rant everyone.

By the way that cool dense air in October/November is amazing!
Old 08-24-2005, 07:34 AM
Nations 1st 6th Gen Turbo

"Warranty of a specific part is only void if a modification causes that oem part to malfunction. The decision is at the discretion of the independent dealer. Deosn't matter who makes it or installs it."

If a dealer decides to warrant the work they do fo you, that's their choice. Most will tell you even if they install it and it fails, you're on your own.
This is almost the exact words the Nissan dealers here in Maryland told me. I say MOD ON...
Old 08-24-2005, 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by BEJAY1
The "publicly vs professionally" could be important. In the USA there are rumors of bounties being paid by local dealers for proof of modded cars running local amateur racing events like autox and drag. The proof is then used to deny warranty coverages.
My cousin was telling me about Mitsubishi surfing online forums for vehicles involved in any form of racing; namely EVOs. If you are stupid enough to list incriminating information online, then so be it.
Old 08-24-2005, 05:59 PM

And they are honoring a fellow Max owner's blown 6 speed....even though with all his mods we know he must have been racing.
What Gen is this blown 6 speed?
Old 08-24-2005, 11:01 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Offical Quote from Nissan

incredible news, but means jack w/o an official statement by Nissan in print. So they'll warrant Screens and PS2s, etc? Seems unlikely. This could means everything to Org members with their approved mods.
But this is from Canada....

^^^ Biggest reason why this would never fly. Warranty work is frowned upon as is, it'll be tough to find a dealer willing to accept more.
This is from the offical nissan site , strange they don't provide s tune parts for the Maxima .Wonder what R tune parts they are refering to for the Maxima. And I note that the CAI is a R tune part ...ummm..

http://www.nissannews.com/events/nis...02023423.shtml
NISMO S-tune, R-tune, Legacy and Lifestyle Components [Aug. 3, 05]

NISMO components are designed exclusively for Nissan vehicles by NISMO engineers for the sole purpose of optimizing performance and amplifying each vehicle’s performance dynamics. NISMO components have been available since 2003 in the United States through Nissan dealers nationwide. The lineup of components and accessories now includes over 230 products covering 10 different Nissan vehicles. The additions to the NISMO catalog so far for the 2006 model year include new 19-inch wheels for the 350Z, cold air intake and headers for Titan, Frontier and Xterra, and Maxima 19-inch wheels and cold air intake.

Installation of NISMO equipment is also offered by most Nissan dealers. NISMO, long recognized as the premier supplier of high-performance aftermarket components and accessories for Nissan vehicles, offers four distinct categories of products: S-tune, R-tune, Legacy and Lifestyle merchandise.

S-tune: For Street Performance, Backed with Extensive Warranty
S-tune components are engineered for the enthusiasts that drive their Nissans on both the street and track. Each S-tune component is covered by the Nissan Parts and Accessory Limited Warranty – up to 36 months or 36,000 miles if installed at time of vehicle sale (see actual warranty and dealer for details). “S-tune components provide a synergistic improvement to the vehicle, with all the bits working in harmony to extend and amplify that specific vehicle’s performance attributes. They’re not a ‘one-size-fits-all’ application,” said Kenneth Zapp, senior manager, Specialty Vehicle Group, Nissan Marketing.

“Plus, Nissan’s Parts & Accessories Limited Warranty on S-tune components is something that the aftermarket just can’t match,” Zapp continued.
S-tune components are available for:
· 2003 – 2006 350Z
· 2002 – 2006 Sentra
· 2002 – 2006 Altima
· 2000 – 2004 Frontier
· 2000 – 2004 Xterra

Available bits include stainless steel cat-back exhaust systems, lightweight forged alloy wheels, cast alloy wheels, shift *****, sway bars, shock and spring kits, aero kits (front and rear spoilers, side sills), as well as branded accessories like floor mats and license plate frames.

R-tune: Ideal for the Weekend Racer
NISMO R-tune parts, on the other hand, are intended for the hard-core enthusiast or weekend racer. The goal with R-tune components is maximum performance, which obviously can compromise street civility.

They are intended for off-highway use only and, as such, no warranty is offered for R-tune components.

R-tune components are available for:
· 2003 – 2006 350Z
· 2002 – 2006 Sentra
· 2002 – 2006 Altima
· 2000 – 2006 Frontier
· 2000– 2006 Xterra
· 2004 – 2006 Titan
· 2004 – 2006 Maxima

Available R-tune components vary by application, but include headers, camshafts, cold air intakes, brake pads, lightweight flywheel, power steering oil cooler kit, clutch disc and clutch cover, limited-slip differential, front strut tower bar, lower tie bar, rear stabilizer bar and bushing kits.
Old 08-25-2005, 04:18 AM
SuPeRmOd

Originally Posted by blackpaladin67
R-tune components are available for:

· 2004 – 2006 Maxima

Available R-tune components vary by application, but include headers, camshafts, cold air intakes, brake pads, lightweight flywheel, power steering oil cooler kit, clutch disc and clutch cover, limited-slip differential, front strut tower bar, lower tie bar, rear stabilizer bar and bushing kits.
so there's a glimmer of hope?
Old 08-25-2005, 09:15 AM
Going Ginsu

so there's a glimmer of hope?
Dunno. I just called the local Dealer/Parts shop (Sheehy Nissan) and was told that Nismo makes 0, that's z-e-r-o, parts for the 6th Gen Maxima according to their computer.
Old 08-29-2005, 09:38 PM
RVC

My dealer said I can't even put mufflers on my max....nissan dealers stink, so does n.m.a.c. So I have decided to trade my max in for a Cadillac CTS-V. I have an Escalade EXT and the service I get at the Caddy dealer is unsurpassed.
Old 08-30-2005, 04:14 AM
SuPeRmOd

Dunno. I just called the local Dealer/Parts shop (Sheehy Nissan) and was told that Nismo makes 0, that's z-e-r-o, parts for the 6th Gen Maxima according to their computer.
well that dealer is out of the loop:
http://forums.maxima.org/showpost.ph...9&postcount=34
Old 08-30-2005, 05:12 AM

Sheehy Nissan $ucks, their dealership looks like $hit and their customer service (unless your buying a car) is like, Why are you bothering me. One poor lady for an oil change was in the lounge for 4.5 hours. I will never take my car there again...
Old 08-30-2005, 08:02 AM
Going Ginsu

Originally Posted by chernmax
Sheehy Nissan $ucks, their dealership looks like $hit and their customer service (unless your buying a car) is like, Why are you bothering me. One poor lady for an oil change was in the lounge for 4.5 hours. I will never take my car there again...
That *just* happened to my neighbor - 4 hours for an oil change. That places blows.
Old 08-30-2005, 08:04 AM
Going Ginsu

well that dealer is out of the loop:
http://forums.maxima.org/showpost.ph...9&postcount=34
"Out of the loop" is a little kind when you're describing a group that are clueless assclowns.
Old 08-30-2005, 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by chernmax

Which Sheehy? because i just go my oil change done at the one in manassas, and they close at 5pm on fridays so i got my car in late beacuse of traffic at 4:30pm and i was out by 4:50pm plus the oil change was free.
Old 08-30-2005, 02:21 PM

One of the Dealerships here has their own drive through. Works great.
Old 08-30-2005, 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by belal242
Which Sheehy? because i just go my oil change done at the one in manassas, and they close at 5pm on fridays so i got my car in late beacuse of traffic at 4:30pm and i was out by 4:50pm plus the oil change was free.
The Sheehy in Waldorf, on 301...
Old 08-31-2005, 11:15 AM
GrandPa

Originally Posted by RVC
My dealer said I can't even put mufflers on my max....nissan dealers stink, so does n.m.a.c. So I have decided to trade my max in for a Cadillac CTS-V. I have an Escalade EXT and the service I get at the Caddy dealer is unsurpassed.

You don't need the dealer do install aftermarket mufflers on your ride. If you have problems with your car and the aftermarket parts were not the fault, you would still be under warrenty. Before you trade in for the Caddy read up on it, they have been having problems with them. Warren