6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

went to track with tuned safc II

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2005, 10:15 PM

went to track with tuned safc II

Alright i finally made it to the track since i got this thing tuned a little. and overall i am very happy. I have consistently been running 9.5s and tonight i broke into the low 9.4s. i ran a 9.431 to be exact. and this was against a stock s2000 and beleive it or not i smoked his a$$. i was very thrilled at this kill. I know i defeated the driver not the car because i have seen them go out in stock form and run 9.2/9.3s. and this guy ran a 9.9. and he had volk rims and exhaust. i am not sure what was wrong but i don't think it was driver error because i asked him to run again and he refused. he also had his hot a$$ girlfriend with him so i bet he felt bad to get beat by a fat a$$ 4 door. I also ran three dsm eclipse's all were gst's two of them were spider's and one coupe. and i was honestly very dissapointed in these cars i was for sure it was going to be a closer race but yea i beat those guys pretty bad. their best run out of the three of them was a 9.9 to my 9.450. I also ran against a modded scion tc(I/H/E) this race was a joke. After i beat that s2000 none of the civic's or integra's would even race me. Oh and this is a late entry but i also beat a turbo SI last week he had to have messed up because i beat him with a 9.6 to his 9.8(i was heat soaked) but he didn't want a rematch either. Overall i had a great night at the track. I am very confident that with some good tire's i will break into the 9.3's.
Old 09-02-2005, 10:32 PM
Banned

nice number!

so you're in 14.6 ~ 14.7, i guess.

what other mod does your car have?
Old 09-02-2005, 10:41 PM

intake, greddy sp2, y-pipe.
Old 09-03-2005, 08:48 AM

what kind of race are you guy's running? because 9 seconds is hella fast for the quarter mile. good to hear about all your victories. nothing feels better than having guys back down from a rematch!
Old 09-03-2005, 09:47 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

must be 1/8 mile
Old 09-03-2005, 09:51 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by stunta666
what kind of race are you guy's running? because 9 seconds is hella fast for the quarter mile.
1/8 mile track
Old 09-03-2005, 10:44 AM

of course it's 1/8 there isn't a maxima on planet earth that i know of that runs nine seconds in the quarter.
Old 09-03-2005, 11:02 AM
my rear view mirrors flap like a f-ing bird

Originally Posted by maxmale
of course it's 1/8 there isn't a maxima on planet earth that i know of that runs nine seconds in the quarter.
mines with 22's...lol

time for a shot of nitrous...
Old 09-03-2005, 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by VTmaximaVT
nice number!

so you're in 14.6 ~ 14.7, i guess.

what other mod does your car have?
is this right sound kinda high to me... that 14.6 looks like stock numbers.. correct me if I'm wrong please..
Old 09-03-2005, 11:17 AM

i think andymax95 had 14.6 with his bone stock max
Old 09-03-2005, 02:00 PM

Yeah, 14.625 to be exact....and he made an interesting comment one time.
I think it went: "How much did you spend to make your Maxima go slower". An interesting thought regarding "performance" mods. Do they really make a difference? Not in theory or estimate hp gains or even dynos, but real time slip proof. Can anyone produce a time slip with a better qtr mile?
Old 09-03-2005, 03:14 PM
Old Maxima Legend

i agree this is around a 14.6-14.7 at around 94/95 mph, nice run. you know once i was at the track and was sitting next to a s2000. i thought man im trying to get some good videos and this guy is going to spank me (i never show videos of me getting owned) lol ! anyways after watching the videos from that night the s2000 was running 15's with one 14.9. i thought to myself, man i should have raced the guy. i really thought the s2000 was much faster than the times i have seen. I have never seen the s2000 even reach a mid 14 second run, but i have only seen a few and they are certainly good handling cars.

if a person has some extra money to play around with, dyno runs will really aid in finding out how a mod is doing. but i know that by the time i spent money on a mod, i really didnt feel like paying more cash to do the dyno.

anyone concerned with performance from a 6th gen will certainly need to see whats the smallest size wheel you can get on the car. im not sure what the stock rim size is but even a lightweight 17 or even a 16 ( not sure it would fit) will do wonders for the car. if i were into 6th gen performance its the first place i would start.

anyways, good run, thats one of the best things about the maxima, pulling a sleeper move on some folks
Old 09-03-2005, 04:38 PM

17's are the lowest we can go... when I start doing performance mods I will go with a light 17 and do track with it..

with juice a member of cardomain hit 13.9 1/4 mile... not bad..
Old 09-04-2005, 08:45 AM
andymax95

Went to the track last week, around 75 degrees and 95% humidty. Well I was very disappointed on my runs, my best being a high 14.5x.

Now this may sound like nonsense but with the obe II computers i really believe our mods aren't adjusting to the cars computer, I feel like the ecu is retarding it self back to its stock settings.

I know in my 4th gen without an obe II, mods made my car trap quicker and faster, but with the 6th gen. No matter what mods are done and no matter how much money is put in i stay at the same trap speeds and et since i've owned the car. Actually I ran quicker with just an intake on my car.

Old 09-04-2005, 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by andymax95
Went to the track last week, around 75 degrees and 95% humidty. Well I was very disappointed on my runs, my best being a high 14.5x.

Now this may sound like nonsense but with the obe II computers i really believe our mods aren't adjusting to the cars computer, I feel like the ecu is retarding it self back to its stock settings.

I know in my 4th gen without an obe II, mods made my car trap quicker and faster, but with the 6th gen. No matter what mods are done and no matter how much money is put in i stay at the same trap speeds and et since i've owned the car. Actually I ran quicker with just an intake on my car.
this is sad stuff to hear.... this is why I've held off on performance mods... maybe nitrous is the way to go at first..

help me save some money, I'd hate to waste all this money on catbacks systems for nothing..
Old 09-04-2005, 10:27 AM
Old Maxima Legend

andy then you need to use some taste and planning take weight off the car without cheaping its apearance. ideas: tires (toyo proxes t1-s are lighter than just about every tire, light weight wheels ( when i put on the ssr comps, my max ran .3 faster versus the stock wheels and i changed 16 inch stock wheel for 16 inch aftermarket. put some money here after doing some homework and you will be rewarded. like everyone says taking 1 lbs off unsprung weight acts like taking 8-10 lbs off the chassis.

my ssr comps were 8 lbs lighter than the stock wheels per wheel. when i did the calculations i thought hey, no way. this is like taking 320 lbs off the car. went to the track and just like they say, the car was running .3 faster.
Old 09-04-2005, 11:41 AM

What about the black maxima thats running the headers under the hood he got gains right?
Old 09-04-2005, 04:15 PM
Old Maxima Legend

i did a little looking around on those stock honda s2000's it appears that the 2003 model is slower ( dont know why ) than both the 2000, and 2004 models. both the 00 and 04 are running .7 faster from the 2003 which runs around 14.9 ? hey i have no idea on this one.
Old 09-04-2005, 08:38 PM

you know i thought for sure the s2000 would have been a low 14 second car.
Old 09-04-2005, 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by andymax95

you know if this is true. then wouldn't resetting the ecu at the track help because it takes a little while to relearn everything mileage wise i mean. so if you reset the ecu wouldn't you see gains at least untill your ecu reprograms itself? just curious.
Old 09-04-2005, 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by Ceasars Chariot
anyone concerned with performance from a 6th gen will certainly need to see whats the smallest size wheel you can get on the car. im not sure what the stock rim size is but even a lightweight 17 or even a 16 ( not sure it would fit) will do wonders for the car. if i were into 6th gen performance its the first place i would start.
I agree, that a lightweight rim is a great place to gain legit power. I replaced my stock 18x7.5s with 18x8 lightweight A-Tech rims and I felt the improvement immediately, especially off the line. My rims are about 10 lbs lighter than stock, which is 40 lbs of rotational and unsprung weight. Also the tire is 40 series which is slightly smaller than the stock 45 series, another bit of weight savings. It may be arguable as to whether or not engine mods make a difference due to ECU compensation, but there is NO doubt that lighter rims and tires improves performance in many respects.
Old 09-04-2005, 09:31 PM

One other point is that there are ways of reducing weight in a car other than rims and tires. For example, there are lighter batteries, lighter exhaust systems (check out the size of those two stock mufflers), lighter seats (electric seats weigh a TON), and other ways of reducing weight (try removing and weighing your spare tires, jack and tools and see if that isnt significant!!). Altogether, with the aforementioned weight reduction, I bet you can remove 200lbs EASILY. No ECU compensation to worry about here.
Old 09-05-2005, 09:31 AM

Those are definitely good ways to reduce weight. Now comes the point were you remember what you bought the Maxima for. I bought it for a luxury ride with good performance and good looks.
Old 09-05-2005, 11:25 AM
GrandPa

Very nice numbers. You have to find a 1/2 mile track.
Old 09-05-2005, 07:31 PM

Then maybe what needs to happen is chip replacment, just like is available for so many other cars.

Weight reduction is true gain but I did buy the Max for the luxury, albeit, speed and the sweet 3.5 was a big factor too.

Sadly the Maxima seems to be the mod invisible car to many companies.... Even Nissan itself. Time for Nismo to step up to the plate.
Old 09-05-2005, 08:27 PM

headers and a chip are definetly in the plans for my car if someone would ever freakin make them.
Old 09-06-2005, 02:14 AM
GrandPa

Originally Posted by ramberg
Very nice numbers. You have to find a 1/2 mile track.
Sorry I meant a 1/4 mile track.
Old 09-06-2005, 06:02 AM
andymax95

you know if this is true. then wouldn't resetting the ecu at the track help because it takes a little while to relearn everything mileage wise i mean. so if you reset the ecu wouldn't you see gains at least untill your ecu reprograms itself? just curious.

Now lets say you reset the ecu. So before leaving for the track, reset your ecu and then most likely you are gonna have to beat on your car to learn/adjust to those driving conditions. But when you get to the track, will the ecu remember these new driving conditions/upgrades. Now one has yet to show specifics on our ecu's/obeII. Some say you reset, and your good with the new mods, others say it adjusts after a week of learning and others say within a month, the ecu resets to its normal settings.

What we need is a piggy back system for our cars. Most say not possible, but if you look around, 80% of cars that preformance upgrades are made for have piggy back systems.

Old 09-06-2005, 06:49 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Nice numbers Maxmale! I would have thought they would be a little better, but I think the Max would shine a little more in the 1/4 mile. The sweet thing is that you were smokin' those other cats! That had to be a great feeling!! I think the numbers will be better in the 1/4 mile because that was one of the first things I noticed when I bought my Max, the pull from 50mph plus. The pull just does not stop, so your ride didn't really get a chance to "show out" beyond the 1/8th. Also, the guy from Azntuners ran a 14.2 on the last page of his site and he's got an Auto. That run was without nitrous and with virtually the same mods, with the exception of the headers. I'm not sure if he has a Y-pipe though, so that could make up a little on the headers. He actually ran a 13.1 and a 13.9 with the nitrous. Nevertheless, the dyno results on your car and Warren's show that the mods definitely increase the horsepower and thus would increase the 1/8 and 1/4 mile times. Also, I read an article about the ECU issue this weekend and your SAFCII should make the difference. It did appear to make a difference in your dynos afterward with an increase of 10hp on a couple of different runs. It seemed to allow you to get the most out of the mods. I'm getting the Y-pipe put on this week with a dyno before and after, just to confirm some gains. We really need a 1/4 mile track run. I'm sure there are critics who will argue there will be no difference, but I say let the Max rip the 1/4 mile and let's see. I'm looking for the closest 1/4 mile track near me for a possible run soon with the stock shoes and socks. Anyway, good job and once we get a set of headers for the Max, IT'S ON!! PEACE.....
Old 09-06-2005, 10:47 AM

you also have to remember that the track that i go to sucks. i know a guy that runs his 05 mustang gt with an intake and one of those piggyback tuner modules and his best time was a 9.345. so if i had a better track and better tire's, i could see as much as .1-.3 seconds improvement. yea i also agree with maxdizzle i think i would show a little better times than 14.7. in the 1/4. hell i dont even get traction untill the top of second gear and then i break traction going into third.
Old 09-06-2005, 01:54 PM

hell i dont even get traction untill the top of second gear and then i break traction going into third.
Theres the answer to your track times. Sounds like ya just need more practice controlling the wheelspin.
Old 09-06-2005, 02:05 PM
dot dot dot ...

So .. how 'tuned' are you?

I bet the tuning will help more if you had headers.
Old 09-06-2005, 02:36 PM
VQ Wizard

Originally Posted by NmexMAX
So .. how 'tuned' are you?

I bet the tuning will help more if you had headers.
I bet the 'tuning' would help more if it was actually done.
Old 09-06-2005, 02:43 PM
dot dot dot ...

That's what I was getting at .. moreso, as stated by you, he had a better day at the dyno .. I know, it happens to all of us ...
Old 09-06-2005, 03:33 PM
GrandPa

Originally Posted by maxdizzle1
Nice numbers Maxmale! I would have thought they would be a little better, but I think the Max would shine a little more in the 1/4 mile. The sweet thing is that you were smokin' those other cats! That had to be a great feeling!! I think the numbers will be better in the 1/4 mile because that was one of the first things I noticed when I bought my Max, the pull from 50mph plus. The pull just does not stop, so your ride didn't really get a chance to "show out" beyond the 1/8th. Also, the guy from Azntuners ran a 14.2 on the last page of his site and he's got an Auto. That run was without nitrous and with virtually the same mods, with the exception of the headers. I'm not sure if he has a Y-pipe though, so that could make up a little on the headers. He actually ran a 13.1 and a 13.9 with the nitrous. Nevertheless, the dyno results on your car and Warren's show that the mods definitely increase the horsepower and thus would increase the 1/8 and 1/4 mile times. Also, I read an article about the ECU issue this weekend and your SAFCII should make the difference. It did appear to make a difference in your dynos afterward with an increase of 10hp on a couple of different runs. It seemed to allow you to get the most out of the mods. I'm getting the Y-pipe put on this week with a dyno before and after, just to confirm some gains. We really need a 1/4 mile track run. I'm sure there are critics who will argue there will be no difference, but I say let the Max rip the 1/4 mile and let's see. I'm looking for the closest 1/4 mile track near me for a possible run soon with the stock shoes and socks. Anyway, good job and once we get a set of headers for the Max, IT'S ON!! PEACE.....
I might be going to English Town, NJ in Oct to run the 1/4 mile. Warren
Old 09-06-2005, 04:18 PM
GrandPa

Originally Posted by SR20DEN

I quess the tuning worked since his dyno was better than the last one. I think he needs a little more practice taking off. Since you run your ride at the track maybe you can give him some advice on what to do at the track to get better times. This would help alot even for me since I haven't ran my ride yet. Warren
Old 09-06-2005, 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by SR20DEN
well i know they tuned it a little.they tried to level the air fuel out at 12.5. should i get it leveled out at 13.5?
Old 09-06-2005, 09:57 PM
VQ Wizard

Originally Posted by ramberg
I quess the tuning worked since his dyno was better than the last one. I think he needs a little more practice taking off. Since you run your ride at the track maybe you can give him some advice on what to do at the track to get better times. This would help alot even for me since I haven't ran my ride yet. Warren

His dyno chart shows no gains based on the SAFC settings. His chart only shows that he had a better baseline on the dyno that day.