6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Weak Heat on Seats and Steering Wheel

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2005, 10:02 AM

Weak Heat on Seats and Steering Wheel

It's starting to get chilly here in Minnesota, so I decided to turn on my headed seats and heated steering wheel in my 2005 Max SL. They are taking forever to warm up and when they finally do, they don't get all that hot. My 2002 Max they were much warmer.
The car warms up before the seats and steeerting wheel.
Anyone else notice this? Is their a fix?

Thanks,

kirkster
Old 10-07-2005, 10:08 AM

I was playing around with the heated seats on mine, and they burn. Took a few seconds to warm up and then the heat poured in. Kinda silly question, did you set the heat to high?
Old 10-07-2005, 10:15 AM

Yep on high.....
Old 10-07-2005, 10:46 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I noticed it doesnt warm up that quickly either, normally takes like 5 mins before you feel any kind of heat
Old 10-07-2005, 10:50 AM
* THIS SPACE FOR RENT *

Thank god im in florida still need the A/C on high till mid december
Old 10-07-2005, 11:09 AM
SuPeRmOd

winter's nigh, so I suppose these posts would appear again by the newer owners....

Wheel heats up hot and fast. (at least everyone but you so far).

Seats do take awhile, but for mine, 2 min Max and much quicker than the car/heat. the warmer the temp or thicker clothes you wear, the less you notice the seats.

both have timers and do not stay hot continuosly.
Old 10-07-2005, 11:16 AM

i have to second MAXDOUT04's comments. thank god I'm in sunny Fla. still in the mid to upper 80's. lots of sun..
Old 10-07-2005, 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by spoon787
i have to second MAXDOUT04's comments. thank god I'm in sunny Fla. still in the mid to upper 80's. lots of sun..

clearwater!? I love that area in florida- i'm vacationing down there once year! its beautiful there!

I wish I was living there- startin to get chilly here at night jersey
Old 10-07-2005, 02:17 PM

I would think there is something that regulates the heat. Tying to cover my bases before bringing it in. My 2002 Max got hot very quickly both on the seats and wheel. My '05 is lame compared to the '02.
Old 10-07-2005, 05:43 PM
Moderator GT-R

Originally Posted by kirkster57
I would think there is something that regulates the heat. Tying to cover my bases before bringing it in. My 2002 Max got hot very quickly both on the seats and wheel. My '05 is lame compared to the '02.
My '04 seat heaters are on par with my '01. The heated wheel rules.
Old 10-07-2005, 06:01 PM

As NismoMax80 said, the steering wheel warms quickly (I can tell it is warming up in less than ten seconds, and it is comfortably warm within 20 seconds and very warm in less than 40 seconds), but the seats are a little slower, at least on my '04 SL.

I wish Nissan had set the steering wheel 'limiter thermostat' (interior temperature at which the heated steering wheel system is allowed to come on) at 75 degrees instead of 68 degrees. My old bones need all the help they can get. I absolutely LOVE my heated steering wheel.

Be aware that it is up to the operator to TURN OFF THE SEAT HEATERS when comfortable, otherwise, they will be on every time you start up the car. At least on my '04 SL they are.
Old 10-07-2005, 06:59 PM
The Ultimate Driving Machine

The seats in my car take forever to warm up, and seem to not really get that warm. I work for a BMW dealership and those seats get nice and toasty quick and stay that way. I want mine to be like those
Old 10-07-2005, 08:15 PM
*moderator*

Originally Posted by lightonthehill

Be aware that it is up to the operator to TURN OFF THE SEAT HEATERS when comfortable, otherwise, they will be on every time you start up the car. At least on my '04 SL they are.

I've gotten in my car later in the day way too many times and forgotten that they were on, all of the sudden you're burning and it's like You'd think I'd learn...
They do lag though, the VW seats heat up quick and nice!
The remote start works well on cold mornings, by the time I head out to my car, nice and toasty...

Sterring wheel is awesome though (yes I use it here in So Cal)
Old 10-08-2005, 01:04 PM
2004 Smoke

There have been many posts on this last winter.

My 2004 steering wheel is reasonably fast and nice and warm, however my seats are anemic. I usually arrive at work before I feel anything, and even then it isn't super warm. I think I will complain to my dealership this winter to see if they can find a fix.

The heated seat feature seems to very between different cars - all over the map.
Old 10-08-2005, 02:58 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I preveiously owned a 2000 jeep grand cherokee which was fully loaded and had heated seats. Now in that car it took about 2 minutes to warm the seats up, and when you turned it to high, you could really feel some heat. I must admit, the first time I turned on the heated seats in my 2005 SL, I couldn't even tell that the seats were working and at one point I considered going to the dealership to find out if they were defective. So yeah in my opinion they are weak.
Old 10-08-2005, 03:41 PM

49 degrees today in Cleveland so I tried out the heating features just to test them and report the findings. As with everyone else, the steering wheel warms very fast and the seats take @10 minutes. I don't mind the time too much, its slower to heat than my 02 Acura TL but I think it may be that the Max's seats are more paded and that may difuse the heat a little more. I can complain but I won't. I'm happy with the heating feature.

O.T.
Now if I can just get the seat to stop "popping" when I turn and my weight shifts the seat, it feels like a bolt is not torqued down all the way. It only does if a few times per day.
Old 10-12-2005, 07:38 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by 2004 Smoke
There have been many posts on this last winter.

My 2004 steering wheel is reasonably fast and nice and warm, however my seats are anemic. I usually arrive at work before I feel anything, and even then it isn't super warm. I think I will complain to my dealership this winter to see if they can find a fix.

The heated seat feature seems to very between different cars - all over the map.
Yes, it's winter again and people are starting to notice the heated seat problem on the 04's. They fixed them on the 05's by adding an extra circuit to provide more power to the heating elements. The 04's seats can't be fixed, they are what they are and Nissan knows it. If the 05 in the original posting has a problem I suggest he take it into the dealer and have them fix it, they should work just fine and dandy.
Old 10-12-2005, 08:51 PM

ok question my heated steering wheel works fine for about 3-4 min then just stops working

I figured it overheated or got too hot and will start up once it cools like the seats but no response after a half hour of driving. Any ideas whats up or does it work like this?
Old 10-13-2005, 08:52 PM

guys .. forget the heated seats ... 6th gen max's are no good for them.. "heated wheel" -->> that works great and I do show it off everytime I can..

but, I did see a show (Top Gear - BBC show) recently and they were test driving a VW 8 cylinder, for mileage.. and they claimed that (on a long journey 100miles+) they did save a substantial amt. on gas by not using the heated seats etc... so if u're max seat dont heat forget it!! that extra comfort would cost u a bit, if it worked right!!
Old 10-13-2005, 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by tubells
guys .. forget the heated seats ... 6th gen max's are no good for them.. "heated wheel" -->> that works great and I do show it off everytime I can..

but, I did see a show (Top Gear - BBC show) recently and they were test driving a VW 8 cylinder, for mileage.. and they claimed that (on a long journey 100miles+) they did save a substantial amt. on gas by not using the heated seats etc... so if u're max seat dont heat forget it!! that extra comfort would cost u a bit, if it worked right!!
I saw that show too. The guy drove 800 miles in an Audi A8 diesel and got 40 mpg but he did not use ANY electronics: defroster, radio, AC, heat, etc. He also left the windows up b/c he said you use about 5% more gas due to wind resistance with them down, even when cracked just a little. They said average MPG under normal conditions was @ 21MPG. I'll take my 24 MPG city/hwy driving and be happy.

On topic, I used my heated seats today and my azz was warm in 6 minutes. I think thats pretty good.
Old 10-13-2005, 09:36 PM
SuPeRmOd

so I bought a fully loaded Max with a bunch of nice toys... but i'll keep them all off to save gas
i guess that's a form of optimism...

My thinking, the seats and wheel have been engineered to warm the seats NOT your butt. the purpose seems to get them to a temp matching body heat so it is no longer cold.

NOT to make them hot and heat you.

like I said earlier, they seem more noticeable the colder it gets. when it's cool out, there isn't much range to get them to the set temp and you think they aren't heating much. well they aren't.

of course this is just my observations and conclusion. but it seems once everything's "warm" the sensors cut-off the heat.

Old 10-14-2005, 07:10 AM
Nations 1st 6th Gen Turbo

Damn, knock on wood again, my heated seats take about 1-2 minutes to warm up and get massage hot. My steering wheel takes like 30-45 seconds and feels great. I am blessed with a pretty solid build 04. Oh and no Shimmy either...
Old 10-15-2005, 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by chernmax
Damn, knock on wood again, my heated seats take about 1-2 minutes to warm up and get massage hot. My steering wheel takes like 30-45 seconds and feels great. I am blessed with a pretty solid build 04. Oh and no Shimmy either...

Ditto.. I tried that heated steering wheel the other day when it was chilly and damp and YEOW! that thing is awesome and heats up quick!
Old 10-18-2005, 08:55 AM

I will give my dealer a call and see what they have to say about it. The seats and wheel in my '02 max was much warmer.

Kirk
Old 10-19-2005, 04:11 PM
wsu

just right

My heated seats are not too hot, not too cold, they're juuuuuuuuust riiiiiiight!

Seriously, there might be a couple of minutes warming time, but that doesn't strike me as a problem. The heat must transfer from the heating element through the seat padding and leather, so some transfer time is to be expected. And for the seat temperature, I have had no under- or over-heating issues.
Old 10-19-2005, 07:33 PM
Nations 1st 6th Gen Turbo

Originally Posted by wsu
My heated seats are not too hot, not too cold, they're juuuuuuuuust riiiiiiight!

Seriously, there might be a couple of minutes warming time, but that doesn't strike me as a problem. The heat must transfer from the heating element through the seat padding and leather, so some transfer time is to be expected. And for the seat temperature, I have had no under- or over-heating issues.
Also, since leather stiffens slightly when it gets cold and if the car has been parked outside in the elements, it will take longer for the seats to get hot.
Old 01-26-2006, 02:20 PM

Heated Seats

Does the part of the seat were your back goes supposed to get warm when you turn on the heater on the seat because i notice that the bottom get really hot and the top does not
Old 01-26-2006, 02:26 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

You gotta push the button the other way. It toggles down (bottom) and up for top and bottom.
Old 01-26-2006, 02:30 PM
SuPeRmOd

Originally Posted by Apollos2
You gotta push the button the other way. It toggles down (bottom) and up for top and bottom.

no it doesn't. up for HIGH down for LOW.

It should heat your butt and lower back, but not the entire seat.
Old 01-26-2006, 02:30 PM
* THIS SPACE FOR RENT *

Is this true that up position is both and just down is bottom only?.... no wonder why i never feel heat on my back, mine only worked the bottom when in the down position and here i thought it was a high/low temp. switch see you do learn something nw everyday thanks APOLLOS2 Now if nismo is right i retract my previous thanks
Old 01-26-2006, 02:31 PM
SuPeRmOd

and the untruths begin
Old 01-26-2006, 02:32 PM
GrandPa

Only the butt and lower back. The switch is for warm and hot.
Old 01-26-2006, 02:38 PM

Lets see how many of us have to chime in to clear this up. One bar is thicker and longer then the other. Giving you a HIGH and LOW setting. Both settings only heat lower back on DOWN.
Old 01-26-2006, 02:45 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by NismoMax80

no it doesn't. up for HIGH down for LOW.

It should heat your butt and lower back, but not the entire seat.

Forgive the wording, thats what I meant by top. I meant the lower back portion of the top of the seat.

But seriously, I don't really feel the heat on the lower back unless I push the toggle switch up. Could be because I have a coat on or something so I don't feel it unless I use the "high" setting.

I will check it out on my way home tonight.
Old 01-26-2006, 02:50 PM
SuPeRmOd

Forgive the wording, thats what I meant by top. I meant the lower back portion of the top of the seat.

But seriously, I don't really feel the heat on the lower back unless I push the toggle switch up. Could be because I have a coat on or something so I don't feel it unless I use the "high" setting.

I will check it out on my way home tonight.
It would blow my mind to find out down is butt only. I think it's the coat thing. I've felt both with low.

and here i thought this would be another boring "how come seats don't heat up in 1.5 seconds?" thread
Old 01-26-2006, 02:50 PM

Yeah, put it on the thicker bar (high) and you can probably feel it on both the seat and lower back.
Old 01-26-2006, 03:29 PM

Maaaan i tell ya!!!! WHO KNEW!!!!

Whole time i've had this car, never knew cr@p about those switches! (not like the manual would tell you anything)... learn something new on here everyday!
Old 01-26-2006, 03:30 PM

Eaxactly^^^^^
Old 01-26-2006, 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by MAXDOUT04
Is this true that up position is both and just down is bottom only?.... no wonder why i never feel heat on my back, mine only worked the bottom when in the down position and here i thought it was a high/low temp. switch see you do learn something nw everyday thanks APOLLOS2 Now if nismo is right i retract my previous thanks
No its not true. The button in the up position is for HIGH and the lower position is for LOW....both positions heat up the bottom and lower back. I do with they heated seats quality could be better, mine seems to take forever to get warm (yes I know that there is a timer for the seats too just like the steering wheel)......
Old 01-26-2006, 04:10 PM

This is a good question! I figured out the high low setting, but my wife thought it was bottom or top as well. The book only says:

2005 Nissan Maxima Owners Manual

The front and rear seats are warmed by built-in
heaters (if so equipped). The switches are located
on the center consoles.
  1. Start the engine.
  2. Push the low or high position of the switch,
    as desired. The indicator light in the switch
    will illuminate.

The heater is controlled by a thermostat,
    automatically turning the heater on and off.
    The indicator light will remain on as long as
    the switch is on.
  3. When the seat is warmed or before you
    leave the vehicle, be sure to turn the switch
    off.
Thanks to ImageShack for Free Image Hosting

Quick Reply: Weak Heat on Seats and Steering Wheel