6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

6th Gen - Removing stock subwoofers

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2005, 12:04 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

6th Gen - Removing stock subwoofers

My 05 SE has the stock Bose system which totally rocks I added an amp and sub box to the trunk to add some low end.

The questions.
1. How much do you think the stock 6x9 subs really add to the system?
2. If the stock subs are disconnected would it affect the impedence of the rest of the stock system?
3. Do you think removing the stock subs would allow the bass from the trunk to transfer more readily in the main cab of the car?
4. How long will it be before the great pumpkin moves this thread to the audio section?

The trunk is rattling a bit on the outside and it's kinda generic and I don't really want to weigh the car down with a bunch of sound deading materials.
Old 10-31-2005, 01:26 PM

I have a single 12" AudioBahn Titanium with a 1100 Watt Rockford, Rockford Cap and monster cables, and the stock subs in place. I have a Rockford gain control right on the bottom of the dash. So I can turn the bass all the way up and not touch the radio bass. Leave them in. Dont take them out. Its sound fine with them in place.
my .o2
Jon
Old 10-31-2005, 01:56 PM

Sounds a lot like my setup. I have a seperate **** for the sub box as well and an MTX amp. Appreciate your input.

Anyone else ever attempted this or have any ideas?
Old 10-31-2005, 02:35 PM
*moderator*

I took mine out and it sounds good all around no effect to the other speakers and let's the subs in the trunk breathe better...
Old 10-31-2005, 02:37 PM

in the rear, to my knowledge, they are 8" subs not 6X9.. they add a lot.. i was thinking about putting in two 8" renosant engineering subs, but i decided to wait on those...
Old 10-31-2005, 04:04 PM

I have the infinity basslink connected in parallel to the stock subs and it adds great punch to it... No need to take the subs out. However, I'm not impressed with how the bose sound. Everyone says BOSE always develops good bass, but not here... About the rattling, I had that problem on my trunk, but fixed it by putting some silicone under the license plate on the bottom edge.
Old 11-01-2005, 09:36 AM
Banned

The MY05.5 Bose system went to high powered (they kept the 100W amp) 6X9's on the rear deck. Leaving them in will not hurt the performance of your trunk subwoofer. In fact, the 6X9 may be tuned a little higher than your new sub, and you would not want to lose that part of the frequency range.
Old 11-01-2005, 10:33 AM

glad to hear ppl do what I think lol, I was wondering, having the bose system in my SE, if I added a 1000 mtx 81000D amp, and 2 fosgate power dvc 10's in the trunk, and left everything else stock, including the face, do the stock speakers put out loud enough highs to sound clear through bass like that? Someone told me theyd do the install for 175 which is a little expensive but thats not really my worry; the quality of sound is.
Old 11-01-2005, 10:44 AM
my rear view mirrors flap like a f-ing bird

why would you install 6x9 again?

if I ever did this i would just put aftermarket 8" subs in place of the bose, cause tweeter's and the 4 6.5" door spk's are enough high's right now.. try to put aftermarket 3 way's in place of the rest of the bose, 2 8" on the rear deck, a box, some sound material on the trunk lid, and good to go..

6x9 won't give you that pound that an 8" would either..
Old 11-01-2005, 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by logik05se
glad to hear ppl do what I think lol, I was wondering, having the bose system in my SE, if I added a 1000 mtx 81000D amp, and 2 fosgate power dvc 10's in the trunk, and left everything else stock, including the face, do the stock speakers put out loud enough highs to sound clear through bass like that? Someone told me theyd do the install for 175 which is a little expensive but thats not really my worry; the quality of sound is.
the bose will sound lovely man... i have met members with video installed on the bose and it sounds great..
Old 11-01-2005, 11:06 AM

I actually phrased that wrong, I ment does the stock head unit put out loud enough sound to sound clear through heavy bass.
thanks tek
Old 11-01-2005, 11:23 AM

Wow, lots of great input from all you. You are almost all correct.

Originally Posted by tototee999
in the rear, to my knowledge, they are 8" subs not 6X9.. they add a lot.. i was thinking about putting in two 8" renosant engineering subs, but i decided to wait on those...
The actually are 6x9 subs. and Tek is correct, they won't hit as hard as the round 8"

Originally Posted by jaydabee
....Leaving them in will not hurt the performance of your trunk subwoofer. In fact, the 6X9 may be tuned a little higher than your new sub, and you would not want to lose that part of the frequency range....
Yeah I don't think the 6x9 can hurt the subs http://www.mtx.com/caraudio/archive/...4000Loaded.cfm
but my goal was to help eliminate some truck rattle and as JSmith said, "to let the subs breathe" and I agree with the possible loss of frequency range (probably some mid-bass in there too). That is a concern.

Originally Posted by Wakkus_Maximus
....About the rattling, I had that problem on my trunk, but fixed it by putting some silicone under the license plate on the bottom edge.....
- - - -I will try that, but I kinda checked already and it seems more like the whole trunk lid. The 3 10's hit pretty hard.

....having the bose system in my SE, if I added a 1000 mtx 81000D amp, and 2 fosgate power dvc 10's in the trunk, and left everything else stock, including the face, do the stock speakers put out loud enough highs to sound clear through bass like that?.....
- - - I added an MTX amp http://www.mtx.com/caraudio/products...hunder5302.cfm
and I had the MTX sub box, everything else is stock and it kicks!!

It would kick even more if I turned up my subs but I just don't like the rattling from the trunk. Yours will sound fine too.

Originally Posted by jsmithsole
....I took mine out and it sounds good all around no effect to the other speakers and let's the subs in the trunk breathe better....
- - - Please tell me a little more about your system, you have done exactly what I am thinking about doing.

Thanks again everyone.....
Old 11-01-2005, 01:01 PM

I actually phrased that wrong, I ment does the stock head unit put out loud enough sound to sound clear through heavy bass.
thanks tek
I've experienced subs with bose before and you will need like two 12" subs with high power to not hear the high's off the bose.. two small 10" sub with enough power to bump the inside shouldn't harm the high at all..

infact I did that on my 02 max and it sounds nice and even... not too loud that will rock your block, but enough just for you and your passengers to enjoy...
Old 11-01-2005, 01:47 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

In actual fact, they are 8" subs.
I've taken them out and they are round. 8" round to be exact.
At least in my car they are.
Old 11-01-2005, 01:56 PM

i know when most people think of 10's they dont think much base, but these things were insane, rockford fosgate power dvc's 2ohms. Used to set off alarms everywhere with them.
Old 11-01-2005, 01:57 PM

Is that right??? Can anyone else confirm this? I coulda swore I was told or read it somewhere that they were 6x9 subs. If they are 8inch subs all the better.

But now I am curious. Gonna check when I get off work.
Old 11-01-2005, 03:03 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Apollos2
Is that right??? Can anyone else confirm this? I coulda swore I was told or read it somewhere that they were 6x9 subs. If they are 8inch subs all the better.

But now I am curious. Gonna check when I get off work.
In Feb of 05 they started installing 6X9's to replace the 8" subs on the rear deck of the Bose system. The 6X9's actually out perform the 8" subs that they replace . They also added a stiffening bar to the rear deck at that time.
Old 11-01-2005, 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by Tek-Niq
I've experienced subs with bose before and you will need like two 12" subs with high power to not hear the high's off the bose.. two small 10" sub with enough power to bump the inside shouldn't harm the high at all..

infact I did that on my 02 max and it sounds nice and even... not too loud that will rock your block, but enough just for you and your passengers to enjoy...
hey i got 2 kicker l7s in my 05 maxima with a kicker amp that 850 watts and each subs rms is 750 and i got all my stock bose in there and ti sounds good the boes is giving off enought power
Old 11-01-2005, 03:22 PM

I bought my 05 in November of 04. And while it's not inconceivable for a 6x9 to out perform an 8" sub, it's not likely if all things are equal. (ie cone material, magnet weight etc)

How do you know the 6x9 out perform the 8's? and is it possible to add the stiffening bar to the rear deck after the fact?
Old 11-01-2005, 03:31 PM

I bought my 05 in November of 04. And while it's not inconceivable for a 6x9 to out perform an 8" sub, it's not likely if all things are equal. (ie cone material, magnet weight etc)

How do you know the 6x9 out perform the 8's? and is it possible to add the stiffening bar to the rear deck after the fact?
I can tell you haven't took the trunk panels off the car... cause you can't put a strut bar back there... infact the rear deck acts like a strut bar, it goes from on side to the other and is hard metal..

and is proven that a round sub will hit harder than a oval spk... 6x9 are usually for highs and not bass..

if you want high's on the rear deck, do 6x9's, but with the bose system and the rear deck like it is i dunno how you will fit them. the rear deck seems to be cut out perfect for the subs only..
Old 11-01-2005, 04:00 PM

Tek I think you may have misread my post. np

I certainly haven't take the trunk panel off and I agree with you about the 8" rounds working better than the 6x9 subs. It was Jaydabee that said the 6x9s outperform the 8s.

I don't want to add 6x9 2 or 3 way spkrs to the rear deck. My original question had more to do with the affect of removing the stock subs in an attempt to allow my MTX subs bass to enter the cabin easily and to help eliminate some trunk lid rattling.
Old 11-01-2005, 04:12 PM

thats ok, i tried to answer two questions in one post and didn't split them...

but, why would you take out the 8's to get bass to flow through? the 8's can act as midrange bass for your system, and your bigger subs can give you your deep bass..

a nice high, midrange, and sub system will give you the best of all worlds, and will sound best.. you prob won't need the bass flow into the cabin..

you get me..
Old 11-01-2005, 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by Tek-Niq
..but, why would you take out the 8's to get bass to flow through? the 8's can act as midrange bass for your system, and your bigger subs can give you your deep bass..

a nice high, midrange, and sub system will give you the best of all worlds, and will sound best.. you prob won't need the bass flow into the cabin..

you get me..
Well that is why I posted the questions, it may not even be a good idea but I had to ask, because people on the org do all different kinds of stuff to their cars. So far it sounds like only JSmithsole is the only one that removed his stock subs for the sake of his sub box. I am curious to see what else he has to say about it.

I may just have to get in there and pull them and try it out for a while.
Old 11-01-2005, 06:10 PM
*moderator*

I can't honestly attest that the removal of the stock subs helped that much, in theory it sounds like a great idea and it was my installers idea, so I guess more than anything I trusted a professional opinion. The midrange bass does bring up a good point and I may try putting them back in to see what happens...
Old 11-02-2005, 06:48 AM
Banned

Yes, you can add the stiffening bar to an 04 with a Bose system. It goes on top of the rear deck and attachs to the screws that hold the Bose amp in.

As for 6X9's outperforming the 8's, that is because the 6X9's they are using were specially made to have more throw than a conventional 6X9. You can't just blindly assume that 8's are always better. Go out and listen to a new 05. The bass is much more pronounced than in an 04. The original 8's were kind of muffled in my opinion.
Old 11-02-2005, 07:15 AM

BOSE = bring other sound equipment

period
Old 11-02-2005, 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by joebangaa
BOSE = bring other sound equipment

period
Not even The Bose stock system rocks. I think it would cost a ton of money to replace it with something aftermarket that sounds better.

JSmith, thanks for that reply. At most I may just try to disconnect them. Still gonna check out that 8" vs 6x9 once I get a chance to climb around in my trunk
Old 11-02-2005, 03:59 PM

Not even The Bose stock system rocks. I think it would cost a ton of money to replace it with something aftermarket that sounds better.

JSmith, thanks for that reply. At most I may just try to disconnect them. Still gonna check out that 8" vs 6x9 once I get a chance to climb around in my trunk
whatever you say buddy
Old 11-10-2005, 03:52 PM

I found a much better solution than messing with the stock subs. Highly recommended for an easy upgrade to the bass and your system in general.

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=439367
Old 11-10-2005, 04:09 PM
KC's FINEST

Fold half of the seat down, that's what I do. Dont remove anything.? How would the sound be better by removing other speakers?
Old 11-10-2005, 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by KCmaxx
Fold half of the seat down, that's what I do. Dont remove anything.? How would the sound be better by removing other speakers?
I have folded the half seat down before that just seemed generic to me to keep driving around like that. I just thought if the stock subs didn't really add that much, what if they were removed? Would that allow my sub box to breath?

The real answer was some sound deadening material. Now it's hitting harder than ever
Old 09-24-2006, 07:29 PM
SmokinMaxSE

Originally Posted by jaydabee
In Feb of 05 they started installing 6X9's to replace the 8" subs on the rear deck of the Bose system. The 6X9's actually out perform the 8" subs that they replace . They also added a stiffening bar to the rear deck at that time.
That's very interesting. I can get the subs to rock the seats at volume 25. I can't see anything out the rearview mirrors cause they are shaking like crazy. My last car had a Pioneer deck,6x9 speakers and 12" sub. The Boss is cleaner at all levels. I'm amazed that you can crank it so high and it still sounds good. I always found myself playing with the settings on the pioneer because the tweeters were hissing or the speakers were rattling. I think I might add a basslink for low volume and thats it.

Oh yeah, I haven't looked but I know 6x9's aint rockin the seats at volume 25. Must be the 8" .
Old 09-24-2006, 10:24 PM

Ok guys, I know this is an old thread. However I do need help with something related. I purchased an 04 SE with the bose system from a private seller earlier this year. However I was quite disappointed with the sound of this particular bose system. It definitely didn't sound anything like the bose I know of. I checked the fuses and harness and couldn't find anything wrong with it. The problem was it didn't have enough bass even if I turned up the bass to full. I could barely get any sound from the stock subs, meaning I have to put my ear right on the sub itself to know there's sound coming from it. I did take it to the dealer and they said there was nothing wrong with it. After some convincing, they decided to replace the amp. Still, I don't find any significant change. A month ago, I got an I35 with the bose system as well, and I it has the bass that I was looking for even though it only had one sub in the rear. I definitely now know that the bose on the max doesn't sound the way it's supposed to. I can't take it to the dealer anymore as it's over 37k already. Is there anyone who could help? Any would be greatly appreciated.
Old 09-24-2006, 11:06 PM
Newbie just Registered

Originally Posted by azrael
Ok guys, I know this is an old thread. However I do need help with something related. I purchased an 04 SE with the bose system from a private seller earlier this year. However I was quite disappointed with the sound of this particular bose system. It definitely didn't sound anything like the bose I know of. I checked the fuses and harness and couldn't find anything wrong with it. The problem was it didn't have enough bass even if I turned up the bass to full. I could barely get any sound from the stock subs, meaning I have to put my ear right on the sub itself to know there's sound coming from it. I did take it to the dealer and they said there was nothing wrong with it. After some convincing, they decided to replace the amp. Still, I don't find any significant change. A month ago, I got an I35 with the bose system as well, and I it has the bass that I was looking for even though it only had one sub in the rear. I definitely now know that the bose on the max doesn't sound the way it's supposed to. I can't take it to the dealer anymore as it's over 37k already. Is there anyone who could help? Any would be greatly appreciated.
That sounds normal, but the previous owner could just screwed it up even more. Many of us add subs to Bose to get more bass. The stock HU isn't all that great to begin with. Some here have replaced the stock HU, but leave the Bose and found sound quality to improve overall.
Old 09-25-2006, 04:15 AM

Originally Posted by azrael

My 04 doesn't have that much bass either. I came from a nice system in my previous car. I find the two 8" subwoofers are more tuned for midbass, instead of earth shaking low end bass. So the rear subs adds nicesly to the overall sound spectrum, but they won't shake the car.
Old 09-25-2006, 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by VQMAX05
I have a single 12" AudioBahn Titanium with a 1100 Watt Rockford, Rockford Cap and monster cables, and the stock subs in place. I have a Rockford gain control right on the bottom of the dash. So I can turn the bass all the way up and not touch the radio bass. Leave them in. Dont take them out. Its sound fine with them in place.
my .o2
Jon
I agree. I have a 12" Kicker Solobaric sub with a 700 watt Kicker amp and I have the stock subs in place. I also have a remote gain control at the bottom of the dash. Keep the subs in
Old 09-25-2006, 12:47 PM

Bose subs suck, can't even hear them outside the car....I do not think that was the purpose though. I read the speakers were carefully placed by Bose engineers..maybe to make the best possible sound inside the cabin. However, I like hearin the subs outside of the car. Sounds great inside....but I need more bass. Gonna install two 12's soon....not sure which brand yet.
Old 09-25-2006, 01:05 PM

i got the solution to all your problems people. in fact im doing this hopefully before the mcc meet, im taking the 2 8" subs out, and using those holes as a port coming from a fiberglass box, housing two of these subs, and the box will be hanging down from the rear panel, hidden away from view when you open the trunk; i still havent done any measuring but with luck ill make them fit.
Old 09-25-2006, 01:18 PM

Didn't read the whole thread.

My .02 cents....

With my 01 BMW, trunk is freaking SUBMARINE tight - I took out the factory rear deck speakers - increased the boom form my aftermarket sub a LOT! More then dropping the seats.

Can check my vids on RealmofExcursion, under RE Audio - 12" XXX - Omarvelous
Old 09-25-2006, 01:26 PM

for the lazy people, can you post some links???

Quick Reply: 6th Gen - Removing stock subwoofers