6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Preventative maintenance help

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2005, 02:01 PM

Preventative maintenance help

Im in the air force and im deploying for about 45 days... is it cool to leave the car sitting?, im going to cut the insurance to minimums to save some cash
Old 11-16-2005, 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by xamxes
Im in the air force and im deploying for about 45 days... is it cool to leave the car sitting?, im going to cut the insurance to minimums to save some cash
You should be fine with nothing to worry about, check the tire pressure and take it for a long drive before you park it. Leave it at your work on base or a friend in base housing and have them start it once a week if the WX is that bad. Might get a car cover depending on where you are at. 45 days is not long so no worries. Hope this helps.

I am in the AF also and leaving for a short tour to Keflavik Iceland on 28 Nov. Family is staying and I am going solo so I do not have to put stabil in it and keep it on blocks for a year.

Good luck on the TDY.
Old 11-16-2005, 05:26 PM
Nations 1st 6th Gen Turbo

Originally Posted by xamxes
If your financing, you may not be able to cut your insurance, they may notify your bank since they still hold the note, if not, say nothing...

I would also keep the gas tank full, check all fluid levels, tire pressure, disconnect one of the battery terminals and deploy, that baby will fire back up demanding to be driven hard and put out wet...

I've made numerous 6 month deployments and have had zero problems. A good secure car cover is also recommended if not garaged...
Old 11-17-2005, 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by carcus
You should be fine with nothing to worry about, check the tire pressure and take it for a long drive before you park it. Leave it at your work on base or a friend in base housing and have them start it once a week if the WX is that bad. Might get a car cover depending on where you are at. 45 days is not long so no worries. Hope this helps.

I am in the AF also and leaving for a short tour to Keflavik Iceland on 28 Nov. Family is staying and I am going solo so I do not have to put stabil in it and keep it on blocks for a year.

Good luck on the TDY.
cool, i was maily worried about the startup

keflavic huh? are you aircrew?
Old 11-17-2005, 08:42 PM
Nations 1st 6th Gen Turbo

Oh those Air Force deployments are so tough. Four....
Old 11-17-2005, 11:31 PM

All good recommendations above.

A car cover is a good idea if your Max will not be garaged. The sun is hard on tires and the cover helps protect the tires from the sun. Normally if you are putting over 10 K miles a year on the tires, they will wear out before the sun starts to degrade them too much. With this much time just sitting, the tire wear is reduced and the sun exposure increased. You will probably not be gone long enough to justify buying individual tire covers, so the car cover is probably a better, more cost-effecitve option. If you have a friend with tire covers for one of their vehicles, you might try and borrow them. I have tire covers for my pickup truck, but with a little work they would more than cover my Max's tires.