6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Is it possible to put a "Start Engine" Button?

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2005, 05:29 PM

Ok guys, you see in the maxima where are the two buttons for heating seats, there is one in between them. I was wondering this extra one could be an optional thing to add for example a "engine start" button. So is that possible?
Old 11-23-2005, 05:37 PM
*moderator*

Why would you want that when your already in the car? Get remote start in an alarm system like I have. So to answer your question I would say yes, but I don't see the need for it...
Old 11-23-2005, 06:19 PM

I'm kinda siding with jsmithsole but i mean it would be kinda neat to get in your car with your buddies and fire the car up with the push of a button. But still you would hafta first insert your key and turn it to the "on" position and while your doing that why not turn it the rest of the way? Kinda like the first S2000's neat race car type feature but in the end, pointless.
Old 11-23-2005, 06:31 PM
my rear view mirrors flap like a f-ing bird

you will still need the key to do it, is won't be like the lexus cars..
Old 11-23-2005, 07:35 PM
Nations 1st 6th Gen Turbo

How about installing a credit card swip dingy instead. Push button, sorry, no added value in my opinion, nothing but added wiring which could potential lead to vehicle electrical or start problems, if your looking for extreme I say go old school and install a hand crank in front of the car, equally effective...
Old 11-23-2005, 08:11 PM
* THIS SPACE FOR RENT *

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
lol now thats funny a hand crank ol'e skool model "T"
Old 11-23-2005, 09:00 PM
Banned

Hows that work in the lexus? I wish this car had Mercedes Keyless-Go, now thats cool...Id like to have a Mercedes too while im at it, prolly easier just go get a car with the features already in it.
Old 11-23-2005, 09:15 PM

Originally Posted by 04BlackMaxx
Hows that work in the lexus? I wish this car had Mercedes Keyless-Go, now thats cool...Id like to have a Mercedes too while im at it, prolly easier just go get a car with the features already in it.

From what i understand there is still a key but it just has to be in your pocket or on you and it has a chip or something in the key that the car can sense, so when u get near it, it unlocks, you get in and hit the start button. Thats how i understand it, quote me if i'm wrong

Zach
Old 11-23-2005, 09:24 PM
*moderator*

Originally Posted by FrostMaxima
From what i understand there is still a key but it just has to be in your pocket or on you and it has a chip or something in the key that the car can sense, so when u get near it, it unlocks, you get in and hit the start button. Thats how i understand it, quote me if i'm wrong

Zach
You are correct they call it:
" Keyless Go vehicle entry and starting system"
Old 11-24-2005, 06:53 AM

My wife's 2005 Murano has something similar to that...RFID chip in the key fob so you just get in and turn the thing where the key goes (no key inserting needed) and the car starts. Also when you get close to the car you can unlock the doors by pushing a button on the door handle, again no key required (so long as the fob is in your pocket or whatever). I had hoped that Nissan would offer the same thing on the Max when I got mine, but unfortunately they don't

Dan
Old 11-24-2005, 07:59 AM
my rear view mirrors flap like a f-ing bird

Originally Posted by FrostMaxima

Zach
yea thats how i understand it also.... I wish I had that..
Old 11-24-2005, 08:52 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by Tek-Niq
yea thats how i understand it also.... I wish I had that..
What I like about Keyless-Go is the convenience though... all you gotta do is have the key on you, and if you touch the door/trunk handles the car opens automatically. That way if you're loaded with crap you don't need a 3rd hand to go fishing for keys and hitting the keyfob -- especially since the Max trunk doesn't fly open, but that's another thread...

It's nice too that you can't get locked out... if you leave the key in the car, it won't lock and it will keep flashing telling you to pick it up. And all you gotta do is step out of range and the car auto-locks.

Of course they came out with that option in '03, the year after I picked up my car.
Old 11-25-2005, 11:21 AM

I installed The Clapper. It works great until you drive by a sporting event.
Old 11-25-2005, 11:43 AM
GrandPa

^^^^^
Old 11-25-2005, 12:17 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

you guys just gave me an insane idea! ... damn, I should have thought of this sooner!
Old 11-25-2005, 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by pkane3
I installed The Clapper. It works great until you drive by a sporting event.

Hahahhahaha
Old 11-25-2005, 12:38 PM
SuPeRmOd

so what happens when your key slips out of your pocket and you get out, go to work or whatever.

come back and the car is gone?
Old 11-25-2005, 01:09 PM
Z

Well, you'd notice that your keyfob isn't in your pants. People attach their carkeys w/ keyfob to their set of house keys, right? As soon as those keys slip out, you hear them. You'll also feel a lighter pants pocket. You'll notice it. My FX has it, and I love starting and opening my car without a key or keyfob. =D
Old 11-25-2005, 01:17 PM
SuPeRmOd

not really. my keys are separate. why carry my house keys around? and if your key opens your door from your pocket, keyfob seems unecessary.

even 1 key and fob are light/quiet, and unnoticed in a jacket pocket or missing.

of course, that's more of an irresponsible issue than function one. I know there has to already have been a case alreay. "no insurance, u left the key in the car."
Old 11-25-2005, 02:45 PM

If you wanted a push button starter, you should have gone with the Avalon or Lex
Old 11-26-2005, 10:20 AM

It really bugs me that the Maxima didn't include optional push button start. I was suprised to see the non-flagship Murano have them as an option, but not the flagship Maxima?

The Altima and the Maxima are litterally a carbon copy of each other. My brother just bought an Altima and his car keys and fob are exactly identical to mine. Why pay several thousand dollars more when the features between both cars are very close or identical.
Old 11-26-2005, 12:18 PM
*moderator*

Originally Posted by MaxMus
Why pay several thousand dollars more when the features between both cars are very close or identical.
I would say these two cars are far from a carbon copy of each other. Features aside, I simply look at my car and then look at an Altima, case closed!
Old 11-27-2005, 07:57 AM

Originally Posted by chernmax
How about installing a credit card swip dingy instead. Push button, sorry, no added value in my opinion, nothing but added wiring which could potential lead to vehicle electrical or start problems, if your looking for extreme I say go old school and install a hand crank in front of the car, equally effective...
I agree, how about Biometrics? Where a finger print could simply start the car...
Old 11-27-2005, 02:32 PM

Na, Blood Sample, DNA testing
Old 11-27-2005, 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by MaxMus
It really bugs me that the Maxima didn't include optional push button start. I was suprised to see the non-flagship Murano have them as an option, but not the flagship Maxima?

The Altima and the Maxima are litterally a carbon copy of each other. My brother just bought an Altima and his car keys and fob are exactly identical to mine. Why pay several thousand dollars more when the features between both cars are very close or identical.
I was originally looking at the Altima. But when I looked at the Maxima and saw that it had more features, more hp, and more style for such a small amount more $$'s than a comparably equiped Alt, I had to get the Max!!
Old 11-27-2005, 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by maximob
I was originally looking at the Altima. But when I looked at the Maxima and saw that it had more features, more hp, and more style for such a small amount more $$'s than a comparably equiped Alt, I had to get the Max!!
I think styling right now is the only factor IMO... if you look at the 06 Max and Altimas, you'll see that other than DPP, Bluetooth and the Elite Package, the cars are very close in terms of features... And if you add a couple of things to the 3.5 Altima you end up in the same price range as a 3.5 SL Maxima.

Price-wise they're close, performance-wise they're close (on paper at least) and other than the fact that the Altima comes with 16" wheels ($1600 option to 18s) you're not looking at several thousand... you're looking at a few hundred between both. I'm not sure if the Altima should be cheaper (doubtful) or the Max should be more expensive (hope not! ) but I know that's one of the main complaints that you'll hear... both cars are really really close in some aspects.
Old 11-28-2005, 12:39 PM

Maybe we can just hook up a brain wave sensor in the car and it can then be controlled with our thoughts. Hell, we wouldn't even have to get off the couch and the car could drop off the kids at school all by itself.

Evolution....
First we walked on all 4's
Then we walked on 2 feet,
Then we road horses,
Then we invented the car and had to crank it,
Then the electronic ignition,
Then the power door locks,
Then keyless entry,
Then pushbutton starter,
Then Keyless-Go.....
Are we really that lazy that we can't even take the damn key out of our pocket, push the button to unlock the doors, insert the key and turn it? Does that use extra brain power or burn extra calories that we can't spare? Yikes.......
Old 11-28-2005, 04:07 PM
Nations 1st 6th Gen Turbo

Originally Posted by BadBlackMaxSL
Maybe we can just hook up a brain wave sensor in the car and it can then be controlled with our thoughts. Hell, we wouldn't even have to get off the couch and the car could drop off the kids at school all by itself.

Evolution....
First we walked on all 4's
Then we walked on 2 feet,
Then we road horses,
Then we invented the car and had to crank it,
Then the electronic ignition,
Then the power door locks,
Then keyless entry,
Then pushbutton starter,
Then Keyless-Go.....
Are we really that lazy that we can't even take the damn key out of our pocket, push the button to unlock the doors, insert the key and turn it? Does that use extra brain power or burn extra calories that we can't spare? Yikes.......
Damn dude, lighten up on the juice, we only walked on all 4's to inspect our *****... I still clean my grass with a rack vice a proton neutralizer. But I hear you…
Old 11-28-2005, 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by BadBlackMaxSL
Maybe it's just me, but I AM that lazy...

Seriously though... locking up is one of those things you do out of necessity. You lock your doors (to your car and your house) because you don't want some fool to come around and clean you out. For the most part, the whole lock & unlock business is just a nuisance... unlocking most of all, since it requires a free hand to fetch the keyfob, hitting the button then using the right key to start the car. God forbid if you should have to open the trunk with 6 bags of crap from Home Depot in your hands.

But I guess it's one of those convenience features that will eventually make it out to every car out there. Hell, I'm sure power windows and remote keyless entry is for the lazy too, but I'll be damned if I'm buying a car without them nowadays...
Old 11-28-2005, 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by Maxima2006SE
next u will be asking for an auto pilot(driver) for the max... What's the matter with a simple turn of the key?
Old 11-28-2005, 09:07 PM
SuPeRmOd

Originally Posted by viguera
Maybe it's just me, but I AM that lazy... : )

Seriously though... locking up is one of those things you do out of necessity. You lock your doors (to your car and your house) because you don't want some fool to come around and clean you out. For the most part, the whole lock & unlock business is just a nuisance... unlocking most of all, since it requires a free hand to fetch the keyfob, hitting the button then using the right key to start the car. God forbid if you should have to open the trunk with 6 bags of crap from Home Depot in your hands.

But I guess it's one of those convenience features that will eventually make it out to every car out there. Hell, I'm sure power windows and remote keyless entry is for the lazy too, but I'll be damned if I'm buying a car without them nowadays... : )
so you're saying, the Max should read your mind and open the trunk or door upon your approach? now that's a mod

no one said you had to lock your doors. but i know what you mean; totally sucks to have to reach for AND pull open a door in this day and age

I know dude isn't serious crying about the Altima and Maxima keys/fobs matching
Old 11-28-2005, 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by NismoMax80
so you're saying, the Max should read your mind and open the trunk or door upon your approach? now that's a mod
Hey, they're already teaching monkeys to play video games using their brains, this mod can't be far behind...

Originally Posted by NismoMax80
no one said you had to lock your doors. but i know what you mean; totally sucks to have to reach for AND pull open a door in this day and age
Well a couple of years ago I'm sure people would have said the same about having to actually put the key in the door to unlock it... or having to manually roll down the windows, or put the key in the trunk to open it, etc.

There are a ton of "features" that come with cars nowadays that would seem like nonsense, or like things that only lazy people want to have. I'm sure the electric starter seemed like one back in the day as well... but nowadays you probably wouldn't dream of buying a car without power windows or keyless entry.

And as far as having to reach for the door... you already see that in minivans and SUVs. You can remote open/close the doors and tailgates, and in "high end" cars like the S/CL class or Maybach you have power-assist door closing as well. Yeah, people can be SO lazy sometimes...

Color me lazy though... I want my Keyless Go.
Old 11-29-2005, 08:32 AM
SuPeRmOd

you gotta point. you can always do the PMR mod: shave doors and install remote actuators to pop all 5 doors. But what's nice about Keys, the keyfob will likely need a new battery the day your far from home.

it's nice to dream and want many features, but I suppose I'm too much of a realist. I see too many features as just more things to go wrong and jack the price up.

if I was one of the ones wanting all these "high-end" features, I would save and wait for them to come out, or make sure I could mod them.

back to push starters: as stated earlier, just make one yourself cheap and save the rest of us $1000 each for an oem feature I would care less about.
Old 11-29-2005, 02:00 PM

Wouldn't it be possible to use the Transponder Chip in the key to "sense" that YOU are in the car, and install a pushbutton start to work around that.

It would be the same as a smart fob. I don't know about the range of the transponder chip's sensitivity. One way to check would be to copy the key to your Maxima, and see if you could start the car with the "real" key in different locations in the vehicle.

Just a thought for some fun mods.

BK
Old 10-28-2007, 06:50 PM

bump
Old 10-28-2007, 06:54 PM
SuPeRmOd

Originally Posted by DeusExMaxima
bump
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=540424

why?
Old 10-28-2007, 06:59 PM

Was funny to see this old thread on a topic thats now active, sort of.
Old 10-28-2007, 08:05 PM
SuPeRmOd

has anyone done it or tried yet? i would think something like remote start with the button may work, but don't let it shut off when u drive.
Old 10-28-2007, 09:13 PM

No one with a Maxima, to my knowledge. Owners of otehr cars have retrofitted theStart button, though. Most use an S2000 button, but the Altima button is being used too.
Old 10-29-2007, 09:40 PM

once the car are is on, i dont think you need to worry about the car turning off if you have a start button. isn't its functino similar to a starter, which is just start the car?

i know a guy that has one, and you can turn the car on (if you have the keyfob around) and drive aroudn with out it . as long as you don't turn off the car, you can go drive around forever.

and what happens if you leave the keyfob on the ground next to the car? same thing that would happen if you leave your car keys next to the car on the ground.

i guess you've never used the lexus keyless type mechanism. its very convenient. you are more likely to lock yourself out or forget to lock your car with the key and keyfob than with the keyless system

Quick Reply: Is it possible to put a "Start Engine" Button?