6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Fogs keep burning out...

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2005, 07:39 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Fogs keep burning out...

Anybody have any problems with these things? This is the third time in the last 12 months that my passenger side fog has burnt out -- of course, it has to be the hard one to replace...

I've switched bulb makes and all, and I've been replacing fogs/bulbs in my cars for years so I know all the tricks -- don't touch the bulb itself, blah blah. Seems like everything is fine for a while then one day it just stops working... AFAIK there's no moisture in the housing and the driver's side bulb is as happy as it can be (replaced at the same time).

Any suggestions? If it was easier to replace I would just do it and live with it as some kind of freakish electrical problem, but it's really a hassle to have to get in there.
Old 11-29-2005, 08:07 PM

I'm having the same issues. Replacing the bulbs gets annoying, but at least not more than 15 min job now.
Old 11-29-2005, 08:53 PM
SuPeRmOd

i think several made it out with bad wiring. if warranty is up, all i know is getting a RL kit and fog kit. otherwise, rewire oem yourself.
Old 11-29-2005, 11:24 PM

Yeah i have the same problem. first my PIAA EXTREME fog light on the driver side burned out. I then replaced with some cheap Ebay bulbs, and both of those burned out... now im driving with no fogs... its starting to get annoying..
Old 11-30-2005, 08:22 AM

Well warranty is up by 4k miles, but even if not I wouldn't wanna take the car in just for that... most of the time they don't have enough people working in the shop and they have no loaners, so it becomes a real hassle to either have to wait or drive 2 cars just for that.

But either way... I think it's time I start looking at those HID fog threads now to see what's up. My only concern would be if the current wiring would be a problem with the HID fog kit, because I wouldn't wanna mess those up...
Old 11-30-2005, 09:36 AM

Not sure if it was a line being thrown at me by Nissan service, but when I inquired about new fogs to them...He told me they would continue to blow, if I replaced the factories with aftermarkets..It sounds like rubbish to me, but that's what he said.
Old 11-30-2005, 09:49 AM
SuPeRmOd

^^ it's happening to both oem and aftermarket bulbs. My PIAAs have been good for over a year while others' stock and a/m blow after a month.

dealer-bull. same bull they told me "$100 to change fog bulbs since we gotta pull the bumper... and those 04s are complicated...." right then and there, I realized, You'll only be seeing me for warranty work.
Old 11-30-2005, 10:59 AM
andymax95

I'm on my third pair also. Really sucks.

Has anyone done a rewire so that the fogs can turn on with the parking lights, I think that would be a cool look in the early mornings instead of wasting them HID's

Old 11-30-2005, 11:07 AM
Nations 1st 6th Gen Turbo

Wow, still have my original, no problem...
Old 11-30-2005, 11:44 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I am having the same problem, same side. I switched mine to Silvania Silverstars. Now I am on 4th one in one year. I hear that in Canada ( where I live) there is also a problem with the daytime running lights ( Canadian requirement).

Are there blueish lights availble for the fogs?
Old 11-30-2005, 02:05 PM

If anyone has any idea how to rewire I'd love to know because blowing fogs is aggravating.

-Ed
Old 11-30-2005, 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by chernmax
Wow, still have my original, no problem...
me too! hmmm... do you guys ALWAYS turn on your fogs? cos I don't...maybe that's why I still have the original fogs...
Old 11-30-2005, 04:07 PM

i thought mine were blown too but i guess it was just the fuse...the guy that installed my hid fogs said it was the fuse and changed it to 20 instead of the stock 15
Old 11-30-2005, 05:44 PM
Banned

my passenger side fog burned out after driving 34k miles/23 months. mine's still under warranty, i gotta get a new bulb from the dealer.
Old 11-30-2005, 06:13 PM
The "Other" project

I like most have gotten pretty quick at changing them myself, I have replaced each one at least 3 times, at least they alternate left to right for me......
Old 11-30-2005, 10:26 PM

I don't understand the wide variation between cars. I have never replaced a bulb in six years on my 2000 SE or in eighteen months on my '04 SL. And I do check fairly often to be sure all lights work.

I do feel Nissan should make a greater effort to avoid major labor just to replace a light bulb. But they don't seem to care.

I still remember the tirade a customer gave my service manager about twenty years ago when he was told the entire dash had to be removed to replace the radio dial bulb in his 'Z', and it would cost $200 (a lot of money back then).

Some things never change . . .
Old 12-01-2005, 01:09 AM
GrandPa

Originally Posted by viguera
Well warranty is up by 4k miles, but even if not I wouldn't wanna take the car in just for that... most of the time they don't have enough people working in the shop and they have no loaners, so it becomes a real hassle to either have to wait or drive 2 cars just for that.

But either way... I think it's time I start looking at those HID fog threads now to see what's up. My only concern would be if the current wiring would be a problem with the HID fog kit, because I wouldn't wanna mess those up...
I sent you a PM.
Old 12-01-2005, 01:11 AM
GrandPa

Don't you have to take off the bumper to get to these bulbs?

Warren
Old 12-01-2005, 04:44 AM

Originally Posted by ramberg
Don't you have to take off the bumper to get to these bulbs?

Warren
No, but I think that would actually be easier...

If you have the stock intake, you have to remove the airbox to get to the driver's side. For the passenger side you have to remove the cover and wiper fluid filler tube, and if you have Man Hands then you might have to hire somebody with girly hands to do it for you, because there's not a whole lot of space in there.

It's just enough of a hassle for the dealership to justify charging you a full hour worth of labor for something like that. You end up spending $5 on a bulb and $95 in labor if it's up to them.
Old 12-01-2005, 04:51 AM

Originally Posted by lightonthehill
I don't understand the wide variation between cars. I have never replaced a bulb in six years on my 2000 SE or in eighteen months on my '04 SL. And I do check fairly often to be sure all lights work.
Seems to happen a lot with some cars... remember the fun people had trying to figure out the common denominator when it came to the shimmy or the bad struts? Some cars seem to come out of the factory perfectly, but more and more those are looking like one-offs rather than the standard...

Originally Posted by lightonthehill
I do feel Nissan should make a greater effort to avoid major labor just to replace a light bulb. But they don't seem to care.

I still remember the tirade a customer gave my service manager about twenty years ago when he was told the entire dash had to be removed to replace the radio dial bulb in his 'Z', and it would cost $200 (a lot of money back then).

Some things never change . . .
You should see the kind of crap that MB tries to get away with... to replace a burnt out bulb around the speedo they wanted to replace the whole instrument cluster.
Old 12-02-2005, 05:53 AM
http://www.cardomain.com/my/ed

I just replaced my passenger side fog light about a month ago. I hope this isn't a sign of things to come. It was easy to do but it is irritating to do.