6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

I have a "REMOTE START" question?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2005, 07:39 PM
my rear view mirrors flap like a f-ing bird

I have a "REMOTE START" question?

Hey Fellas,

we all know that our cars don't turn on unless the "KEY" is in the ignition, right. Ok, now if you install a remote start wich and extra key is placed in the dash so it turns on blah, blah, will a theif be able to turn the car on like any other cause the car thinks there is a key in it?

is prob built in the system some how that it works the same as without the remote start, but I wanna be sure..

I wanted to get one installed until this hit me....
Old 11-30-2005, 07:52 PM

Can't you cut off the key part and leave the Nissan chip (black part)?
Old 11-30-2005, 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by MAXIE06SE
Can't you cut off the key part and leave the Nissan chip (black part)?
prob, but the point is if the car has a key near the ignition already for the remote start to have access to the car starting, I'm assuming if you try to steal the car that it would also start for the thief...

you can whatever you want to the actual key, is the chip that worries me..
Old 11-30-2005, 08:17 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Ask Don, since he knows this type of thing by heart...

My guess is that they hide the hell out of that key in the car, probably inside the dash somewhere. Regardless, I could be very wrong, but I thought that the car was still armed even when on, so if anybody tried to open the doors to get in, the alarm would go off, even though there's a key in the car.
Old 11-30-2005, 09:09 PM

remember, I'm not saying the thief will get ahold of the hidden key or even use it. lets say the key is hidden and the thief makes it in the car, uses a screw driver to try and get it started right. now, will the car turn on cause there is a hidden key in there telling the car there is a key in the ignition.

for example, if you put your key at the end of a screw driver and try to start the car with the screw driver, will the car know the difference between a key with a chip vs a screw driver and a chip.

cause I assume it don't matter what the thief tries to use, if the car thinks there is a key already in it, is going to start.

by placing a key near the ignition for the remote starter, the car thinks there is a key in it the whole time, even when off, no?
Old 11-30-2005, 09:13 PM

You have to buy the immobilizer bypass thingy the model number is 556u its made by DEI. Chances are, the "thief" doesnt know that you have remote start so they will try to other ways of jacking the car rather than looking for the key under the dash. By the time he/she finds it you should be wide awake(unless its done during the day) and popping a cap in his/hers ****. In my case theyll have a Mag light stuck in the back of their head. You are going to need to purchase immobilizer bypass thingy the model number is 556u its made by DEI. You can pick it up at Best Buy or Circuit City.

To answer your question, yes with the immobilizer in place a thief will have full access to start your car, but like i said by the time he/she does someone is there.

maximameng
Old 11-30-2005, 10:09 PM
*moderator*

Originally Posted by Tek-Niq
prob, but the point is if the car has a key near the ignition already for the remote start to have access to the car starting, I'm assuming if you try to steal the car that it would also start for the thief...

you can whatever you want to the actual key, is the chip that worries me..

Yeah but if you hit the brake (which you have to to put in in drive) before you put the key in while remote started, the car turns off. That's the safety feature...
And yes the bypass is there so there's no actual key hidden in the car.
Old 12-01-2005, 05:00 AM

The immobilizer is activated by the remote start first when the engine is remote started, otherwise the immobilizer unit (556U) is inactive and does not send the single to the key cylinder. If they find the 556U unit then all you can hope for is your starter kill. Oh yeah, 556U needs a key and the 555 does not....
Old 12-01-2005, 05:32 AM

thats what I wanted to know, if the remote start did send a signal first to then let the car know to start. I didn't like the fact the car knew there was a key in it the whole time....

thanx fellas..
Old 12-01-2005, 06:24 AM

what is a good remote start to get, and is it best to use the original factory remote?
Old 12-01-2005, 07:36 AM

Originally Posted by 2k2MaxiBlue
what is a good remote start to get, and is it best to use the original factory remote?
You're in SI... you should talk to Don about that GD that he has going on for local people now. I'm sure you can get a decent one from DEI for a few bucks and get him to install it.
Old 12-01-2005, 08:33 AM

i cant seem to find that group deal, can you assist me on that
Old 12-01-2005, 08:53 AM

i cant seem to find that group deal, can you assist me on that
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=441639 -- remote start GD local only. He also has another one on self-installs, but if you're that close you might as well just drive over.
Old 12-01-2005, 08:55 AM

oh clifford is a dei?
Old 12-01-2005, 08:58 AM

oh clifford is a dei?
DEI makes Pyhton, Clifford, Viper and a bunch of others.
Old 12-01-2005, 10:37 AM

I want to get my remote start taken out. I bought the car used and it had it installed. When i try to use it, it cranks about 4 times but never starts. Maybe it is a security issue with the key?
Old 12-01-2005, 10:39 AM

If you want to always stand by your car to remote start then the OEM transmitter is great otherwise go aftermarket
Old 12-01-2005, 10:41 AM

The chip and the key are two different things. I don't think the chip tricks the car into believing there is a key in the ignition. You can't start the car with a copy of the key that doesn't have a chip and you can't start the car with a chip that doesn't have a key. Any good installer will cut the key and only keep the chip. I guess someone could make a cheap copy of your key and start it since the chip is already in the car, but they would need to disable the alarm first. I would be more worried about code hopping.

Old 12-01-2005, 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by glennjr
I want to get my remote start taken out. I bought the car used and it had it installed. When i try to use it, it cranks about 4 times but never starts. Maybe it is a security issue with the key?
I can remember exactly but give this a try, remote start the car and look at FACTORY alarm light it should go out during remote start, meaning it senses a key signature if not then it would be a key issue, i think that's how it goes...
Old 12-01-2005, 10:42 AM

I'm happy with my Prestige Audiovox although my cousin is an installer and did it for free. I think it costs about $500
Old 12-01-2005, 10:44 AM

Love my autopage 855....
Old 12-01-2005, 05:43 PM

valet 561T....add-on remote start to the factory keyless....
Old 12-01-2005, 07:33 PM
I tend to get a bit irritable

WOW Soooooo much misleading info here. To clarify on some it....

556U and 555U Both require a key to be in them. They are Universal interfaces. Ls,Gs,Hs,etc are all learning bypasses, which unfortunately isnt available for Nissan yet.

A chip is a chip, whether attached to a key or not it will work.

The chip is ONLY activated during remote start procedure. No other time is it active. Ultimately meaning if a thief makes it into your car, they can still do nothing as the immobilizer is still active.

Add-ons are possible for the factory remote, but Id recommend against it, the range is only as good as your current keyless entry range. Which also unfortunately deteriorates over time. Remember the factory remote is for keyless only, not intended for distance.

Any "good" installer will break off the key part???? Holy hell why would someone do such a thing to a $100 key???
Old 12-01-2005, 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by glennjr
Most likely one of two things...the installer did a poor job of mounting the ring for the bypass or the wrong/no tach wire connected.
Old 12-01-2005, 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by Pearl96Max
WOW Soooooo much misleading info here. To clarify on some it....

556U and 555U Both require a key to be in them. They are Universal interfaces. Ls,Gs,Hs,etc are all learning bypasses, which unfortunately isnt available for Nissan yet.

A chip is a chip, whether attached to a key or not it will work.

The chip is ONLY activated during remote start procedure. No other time is it active. Ultimately meaning if a thief makes it into your car, they can still do nothing as the immobilizer is still active.

Add-ons are possible for the factory remote, but Id recommend against it, the range is only as good as your current keyless entry range. Which also unfortunately deteriorates over time. Remember the factory remote is for keyless only, not intended for distance.

Any "good" installer will break off the key part???? Holy hell why would someone do such a thing to a $100 key???
I knew it was only a matter of time before he showed...

Oh, and technically it's $125 key, since you have to pay labor to have it programmed.
Old 12-01-2005, 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by viguera
I knew it was only a matter of time before he showed...

Oh, and technically it's $125 key, since you have to pay labor to have it programmed.

LoL I do a search on my name and various other keywords on occasion.

I figured it was pricey, although Ive seen it as low as $80 and upwards of $150
Old 12-01-2005, 11:39 PM

i paid 23 for the key and 20 to get 2 keys programmed :-D
Old 12-02-2005, 05:31 AM

ah see, good to know... thanx Pearl..
Old 12-02-2005, 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by install30
valet 561T....add-on remote start to the factory keyless....
if u dont mind how much did this cost you and someone stated that the distance on the factory system is not very good u have to practically stand next to the car to start it
Old 12-02-2005, 01:16 PM

I was over exaggerating about standing next to the car but I guarantee you won't get distance like that of an after market....
Old 12-03-2005, 01:50 PM
http://www.cardomain.com/my/ed

From personal experience I would say aftermarket sytems are always far superior to factory remotes. My factory remote works from a good distance now but they always fade in due time. I must say my 95 still has good range after finding out that the idiot who did some work on it didnot plug the the sensor back into the antenna housing.
Old 12-03-2005, 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by nimax05
if u dont mind how much did this cost you and someone stated that the distance on the factory system is not very good u have to practically stand next to the car to start it
My cost is about $40......of course not including any labor and mark up....
Old 12-04-2005, 08:44 AM

hi there everybody !! well, so i had the same question couple of weeks ago...and basically got this answer already...anyway...a little dissapointed with remote start installation... wont mention installer or such but it was a very well recommended installer by all of the people in the org...

so these were my finding while insatlling ome neon lights by the footwells... the key bypass, the alarm module and another little clear box, are all hangging from the wires by the steering column, being held by nuthing but zip tights...i have nuthing against zip thights and think they are very good and reliable, the problem comes when you put all this stugg hanging from wires and not from firm stuff, say a piece of metal frame, a screw or stuff like that... also the biggest problem i have is the fact that all this "security" stuff, includind my key bypass WHIT A KEY IN IT is within easy reach, all you have to do is sit in the drivers seat, and put your hand underneath the steering wheel and you will feel the little boxes hanging there from (once again) wires. if you move your hand around you will find the other pieces of the puzzle within inches of one another... also i noticed the wires going to my driver door are just there...bright axs green and blue wires going to the door... man, i mean i was like right there thrugh the whole process and those were like my main concerns when installing the alarm, but my installer reasure me many times that for anyone to be able to reach anything..they would have to have tools, time ( he said it would take him at least 10mins to get there) and to have and idea of where the stuff was...well zhit...the stuff is like right there, even if you didnt know where it was all you have to do is put your head by the brake pedal and look up torward the steering column... tools?? yeah maybe a nail clipper to vut the zip ties and/or the wires... if you dont want to get by the footwell just cut the wires going to the door...they are just as flashy as a bright blue and neon green wires can be...

so i am looking into getting my alarm reinstalled...too bad i just tried to save few bucks but at the end will end up paying maybe more than originally... oh well...

sorry but i had to vent that one out...

luigi...
Old 12-04-2005, 08:46 AM

^^ sorry for all the mispellings but i am like really gone...lots of stuff in my mind and is hard to type one thing when thinking of another...

luigi
Old 12-04-2005, 09:44 AM

I will chime in on this one and mention the installer, which was ME.

The bypass is within reach for Two reasons. 1: so the Owner has access to it, which I explained. 2: theres a limitation to how far it can go with the ring for the steering column. As a matter of fact I even showed you were the bypass was while installing it for you in the event you needed your key. As all keys are needed during the programming of another one.

There is VERY minimal spots to mount ANYthing to metal. Furthermore from experience as well as DEIs recommendation these parts do not like to be screwed into metal needing a little room for movement. Especially the shock sensor( clear box), the more firmly it is mounted, the less effective it is.

The green/blue wires coming from the door are door lock wires, in which case they were wrapped anywhere they can be seen, with the exception of under the dash where the connection needs to be made. Cutting these will result in Nothing else but the doorlocks not working upon arm/disarm.

I urge you to PLEASE take pics of someone elses job when they "redo it" for you. I cant express enough how much I would like to see these pics after they are done from a reputable shop.
Old 12-04-2005, 10:16 AM

aight man, no hostility meant on my post but i just wasnt expecting it to be that easily accessed...

the actual key bypass had gotten loose and i put another zip tie and honestly i thought it was way to easily to access... the wires by the door i guess the cover came loose since they are visible by the door hinge and i just put some electrical tape to kinda cover them some... well, i do take your word on all this, all the credit you have from all the people in the org and all, i dont think this people who does such amaizing things to their cars would be happy if that wasnt the way it is supposed to be, i lso appreciate the fact you allowed me to be all into the installation process and all, so dont take any hostility from me as i am not trying to be mean ..it is just what i saw and stuff...

i do remember the part of the wires not being long enough to put it somewhere else, i just really didnt expect it to be THAT short.

one question though, why would i need access to my key ?? you say i need all my keys to reprogram other one...so what happens if i loose my keys ?? i cant get a new key then ??

also i understand the point of not mounting them to metal...cool...but i just thought it was maddd accesible... i mean you can feel them boxes while sitting at the drivers seat and reaching underneath... well, i guess the point is that still they would need access to my car so i guess i am good to that point...

also, cant the wires be cut in the middle and then add more wire to make them longer so the stuff can be place somewhere else ??

also...i thought i could arm my alarm leaving my proximity snesor unarmed if i pressed the lock button twice but it doesnt seem to work... umm i also forgot how many times i got to press the button to disarm my alarm... help please...

luigi
Old 12-04-2005, 02:40 PM

Don, sent you a PM but i guess as usual, ill get no reply...oh well...thats why i never got to discuss those issues with you before but anywayz...

luigi
Old 12-04-2005, 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by luigi'smax
aight man, no hostility meant on my post but i just wasnt expecting it to be that easily accessed...

the actual key bypass had gotten loose and i put another zip tie and honestly i thought it was way to easily to access... the wires by the door i guess the cover came loose since they are visible by the door hinge and i just put some electrical tape to kinda cover them some... well, i do take your word on all this, all the credit you have from all the people in the org and all, i dont think this people who does such amaizing things to their cars would be happy if that wasnt the way it is supposed to be, i lso appreciate the fact you allowed me to be all into the installation process and all, so dont take any hostility from me as i am not trying to be mean ..it is just what i saw and stuff...

i do remember the part of the wires not being long enough to put it somewhere else, i just really didnt expect it to be THAT short.

one question though, why would i need access to my key ?? you say i need all my keys to reprogram other one...so what happens if i loose my keys ?? i cant get a new key then ??

also i understand the point of not mounting them to metal...cool...but i just thought it was maddd accesible... i mean you can feel them boxes while sitting at the drivers seat and reaching underneath... well, i guess the point is that still they would need access to my car so i guess i am good to that point...

also, cant the wires be cut in the middle and then add more wire to make them longer so the stuff can be place somewhere else ??

also...i thought i could arm my alarm leaving my proximity snesor unarmed if i pressed the lock button twice but it doesnt seem to work... umm i also forgot how many times i got to press the button to disarm my alarm... help please...

luigi
Extended the wires deteriotes the functionality of the bypass, thus making it non practical to use.

If you lose your keys and need new ones programmed, then you would need to remove the one in the bypass to have them All reprogrammed. Furthermore if you lost your keys, at least you can get access to the car (ie: slimjim) then knowing where it was and being accessable you would be able to drive your vehicle home rather than waiting for/paying for a tow.

Yes you can bypass sensors. You only press the button once to disarm/unlock your car.
Old 12-04-2005, 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by luigi'smax
Don, sent you a PM but i guess as usual, ill get no reply...oh well...thats why i never got to discuss those issues with you before but anywayz...

luigi

You meant no hostility, but yet this seems quite hostile being that you just posted the above one 4 hours ago.

Not that I need to explain a 4 hour span of not replying, but I will. I was at the hospital ALL DAY with my wife and newborn children. And that my friend is where my priorities are.
Old 12-05-2005, 12:04 AM

Sounds to me like maybe luigi you had unrealistic hopes from reading the positive reviews. It sounds like a standard install, and it also sounds to me like this wasnt really communicated previous to or during the installation, in which case it is unjust to come on here and bash Don afterwards. Just my two cents.

Quick Reply: I have a "REMOTE START" question?