6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Headlight flicker?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2005, 09:30 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Headlight flicker?

Hello,

Lately I've been noticing that my driver's side headlight 'filckers' ever so slightly (especially when braking or going over bumps). It doesn't seem like anything is loose and is causing it to vibrate, but rather a very slight (very hard to see sometimes) and quick series of dips in intensity. Has anyone else had this? I'm wondering maybe if there is a lose wire or perhaps a bad ballast? So far, it only seems like it's on the driver's side... I know this is going to be very difficult to reproduce for the dealership.

Thanks!
Old 12-01-2005, 10:47 AM
You Don't Wanna Play Me

If you have HID's I'd say it was a bad connection. Also the bulbs itself could be loose in the housing if the actual headlight assembly is tight.

Chris
Old 12-01-2005, 12:22 PM
my rear view mirrors flap like a f-ing bird

hey, as a truck driver I see this happen all the time. it might be a flicker like you say it is, but i see cars dip on the road ofter with HID's and the light look like they are flickering, but they are not. I can't explain it in words. but have you ever been in front of a car with HID's and think he's flashing his lights at ya, but then you look and he's not?

well i think is the fast flash that the car goes through when it hits a dip. remember the hids are focust on lighting the roads and all of a sudden they point upward or downward cause of a dip, it may seem like they are flickering for sure.. since they are being projected to a certain spot on the road, if they are pointing down for the bump even for a second and then back up is going to seem like a flicker.

I hope this make sence, I just can't explain it. you have to see it happen I guess.
Old 12-01-2005, 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by Tek-Niq
hey, as a truck driver I see this happen all the time. it might be a flicker like you say it is, but i see cars dip on the road ofter with HID's and the light look like they are flickering, but they are not. I can't explain it in words. but have you ever been in front of a car with HID's and think he's flashing his lights at ya, but then you look and he's not?

well i think is the fast flash that the car goes through when it hits a dip. remember the hids are focust on lighting the roads and all of a sudden they point upward or downward cause of a dip, it may seem like they are flickering for sure.. since they are being projected to a certain spot on the road, if they are pointing down for the bump even for a second and then back up is going to seem like a flicker.

I hope this make sence, I just can't explain it. you have to see it happen I guess.
Yeah, I think I know what you mean... and I don't think it is what is happening. I mean, one time it happend while pointing at the white wall inside my garage... it happens very quickly, but looks like the entire left side turns off or gets dim (for like a few milliseconds... very quick).

Oh, and yeah.. I do have HIDs (and love them!). I'll probably ask the dealer about this next time I bring it in for maintenance. Thanks.
Old 12-01-2005, 07:12 PM
Banned

I see terrible flicker from halogen chevy cars, especially Grand Prix and Cavaliers
Old 12-02-2005, 08:08 AM

Well, I think I may have figured it out last night... not sure though. I was stopped somewhere where I was facing a white wall, but unfortunately at the edge so that only my driver's side headlight was hitting it (so I couldn't see the passenger's side light). Anyway, I noticed that the level of the cutoff was dipping ever so slightly as the engine vibrated slightly (I know, the VQ is generally very smooth, but once in a while it will vibrate). Now, maybe my driver's side cutoff is vibrating when I go over small bumps or brake (my rotors are very slightly warped, maybe enough to jiggle the cutoff)? This would actually make the low beam seem just a tiny bit brighter for an instant until it returned to normal (or perhaps it goes the other way too.. maybe it seem dimmer). Either way, I think this might account for the flicker.

So, if this is true does this mean that my driver's side headlight aiming screw is loose or something else needs to be adjusted? If not, I think I can live with it...better than a dying balast or something.

Thanks!
Old 12-02-2005, 08:12 AM

i have this same problem with my hid's. if i hit a hard enough bump it flickers, i was thinking since the car is older maybe i have bad ground which i will check this weekend even though the kit is brand new.
Old 12-02-2005, 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by Monotaur
Well, I think I may have figured it out last night... not sure though. I was stopped somewhere where I was facing a white wall, but unfortunately at the edge so that only my driver's side headlight was hitting it (so I couldn't see the passenger's side light). Anyway, I noticed that the level of the cutoff was dipping ever so slightly as the engine vibrated slightly (I know, the VQ is generally very smooth, but once in a while it will vibrate). Now, maybe my driver's side cutoff is vibrating when I go over small bumps or brake (my rotors are very slightly warped, maybe enough to jiggle the cutoff)? This would actually make the low beam seem just a tiny bit brighter for an instant until it returned to normal (or perhaps it goes the other way too.. maybe it seem dimmer). Either way, I think this might account for the flicker.

So, if this is true does this mean that my driver's side headlight aiming screw is loose or something else needs to be adjusted? If not, I think I can live with it...better than a dying balast or something.

Thanks!

just incase you need it, this explains where the adjustment screws are...

http://www.6thgenmaxima.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=64
Old 12-02-2005, 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by Tek-Niq
just incase you need it, this explains where the adjustment screws are...

http://www.6thgenmaxima.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=64
Thanks, looks like I'll have to sign up.
Old 12-02-2005, 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by Monotaur
Thanks, looks like I'll have to sign up.
sh*t thats right sorry..... but its free
Old 06-17-2009, 09:22 PM

Got a problem... 2005 Maxima, 34,000 miles. My driver's side headlight flickers and then goes out. If I shut the lights off and back on, it may fire up for a second then goes out again. Is the bulb bad? It's just one side.
Old 02-19-2013, 10:33 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I have a similar problem and hope someone can help as the dealer can't figure it out. I love my 2004 Maxima but in the last 2 years the headlights flicker very quickly and then go back to normal. There is no correlation between speed or bumps. I can see it in the back of other cars/trucks when it happens and I have people pull over to let me pass because they think I'm doing it on purpose. I'm afraid of a road rage incident if this continues. I took it to the dealer and described the problem but of course they couldn't replicate it and there is no rhyme or reason to when it happens. I have halogen lights and 86,500 miles on it. Did have corroded battery wire replaced with no change. Help. Would have posted a new message but due to 15 post rule I can't.
Old 02-20-2013, 12:39 AM

Originally Posted by lovetobenana
I have a similar problem and hope someone can help as the dealer can't figure it out. I love my 2004 Maxima but in the last 2 years the headlights flicker very quickly and then go back to normal. There is no correlation between speed or bumps. I can see it in the back of other cars/trucks when it happens and I have people pull over to let me pass because they think I'm doing it on purpose. I'm afraid of a road rage incident if this continues. I took it to the dealer and described the problem but of course they couldn't replicate it and there is no rhyme or reason to when it happens. I have halogen lights and 86,500 miles on it. Did have corroded battery wire replaced with no change. Help. Would have posted a new message but due to 15 post rule I can't.
I would say it's a low voltage issue but that will most likely happen at start up not while driving. My suggestion is your bulbs(D2S) maybe coming to the end of it's lifespan so you might want to consider replacing both of them and try that. Not sure how good the ignitors are or if it would cause it too flicker, I would only assume not. But for your first step try changing the bulbs and make sure the connections are properly fastened. And if it works come back and tell others