6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Noise in front some where and bad smell.

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2005, 09:07 PM

Noise in front some where and bad smell.

When I am driving there is a really annoying sound but not all the time, it is like once a week and it comes and goes, it sounds like is comming from under/above the dash.( It sounds like wires are banging on plastic / the window wipers are tapping on the glass)

2nd there is a bad smell when i put the heat up around 82-90.
But it isn't all the time like, every other day.
Any one have any idea? This is a 06 SE Fully loaded.
The dealer can't find the problem, it never happens when i bring it there.

Thanks.
Old 12-06-2005, 05:47 AM

MAXIE06SE,

I cannot help you eith the noise but I can feel your pain on the smell. My max is OK, but my wife has a Murano (same VQ engine) and it has a smell like something has died under the hood from time to time.

I have taken it to the dealer and there is no evidence of a mouse or anything like that has ever been in or under the car. Smells like death....makes you wanna toss your cookies.

Baffles me and the dealer. What does the smell you are complaining about remind you of? If it is like rotten eggs, nothing to worry about.
Old 12-06-2005, 07:05 AM

Originally Posted by MAXIE06SE
When I am driving there is a really annoying sound but not all the time, it is like once a week and it comes and goes, it sounds like is comming from under/above the dash.( It sounds like wires are banging on plastic / the window wipers are tapping on the glass)

2nd there is a bad smell when i put the heat up around 82-90.
But it isn't all the time like, every other day.
Any one have any idea? This is a 06 SE Fully loaded.
The dealer can't find the problem, it never happens when i bring it there.

Thanks.
Is your seat heater on when the smell occurs? If so, read the posts about the recall.
Old 12-06-2005, 07:57 AM
Nations 1st 6th Gen Turbo

Depending on how many miles you have on it, you may want to change the in cabin air filter (recommended at about 20K). If something is lodged on the intake side of the filter, you may be cooking it down with the heat, doesn't cost anything to check, it's located behind your glove box, your owners manual shows how to easily remove it. Just a thought...
Old 12-06-2005, 09:26 AM

Yea it smells like a very bag egg, why is that nothing to worry about? and my car jas 3k miles, Thanks for the replys.. What about the Noise?
Old 12-06-2005, 12:46 PM
my rear view mirrors flap like a f-ing bird

the smell is normal..... and will go away soon....

the noice i dunno....
Old 12-06-2005, 01:02 PM
Moderator GT-R

Originally Posted by Tek-Niq
the smell is normal..... and will go away soon....

the noice i dunno....
Go away soon? I'm at 45,000 miles...
The only thing I can contribute is that it seems to happen when I am standing on the throttle. It reminds me of rotten catalytic converter smell.

Pay attention to when it happens. I am not sure it is not exhaust smell from the car in front of me because the situations where I notice it most is the afterburner launch that is a Dallas custom as you roll through the tollbooth. One thing that shoots holes in this idea is that I do not remember this happening in my previous cars, certainly not as often.
Old 12-06-2005, 02:52 PM

new here, anyway take it in get it checked out man..
Old 12-06-2005, 02:55 PM
dla
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by MAXIE06SE
Yea it smells like a very bag egg, why is that nothing to worry about? and my car jas 3k miles, Thanks for the replys.. What about the Noise?
If it smells like a rotten egg it's coming from the exhaust. During the refining process SOME sulfur is removed from the gasoline. When gas is burned the sulfur is an exhaust gas and it bonds with oxygen to create sulfur dioxide which smells just like a rotten egg. The smell usually appears after fast accelerations. How the smell gets in the cabin is still unknown. Most likely through the intake with the AC vent on fresh air. Each state has a maximum amount of sulfur allowed in the gasoline after refining. The more sulfur in the gas the more chances of laying a rotten egg.

The smell will go away, but you could always lay another egg with the power of your right foot.

As for the noise, sorry can't help ya!
Old 12-06-2005, 07:35 PM
RVC
Donating Maxima.org Member

Niose

I hear that kinda noise in mine too, the only thing I could find was the plastic over the gauges is not in there tight. So when you tap on them or go over a bump it makes this annoying rattling sound and it annoys the pi$$ out of me! Anyone else have this problem?
Old 12-07-2005, 07:22 AM

Didn't somebody have this problem and it was a bad seal somewhere near the injectors and when the car warmed up it went away b/c the gasket expanded as it warmed? Who wants to search for it???? Anyone???
Old 12-07-2005, 02:26 PM

I remeber reading that also, But i'm not able to search
Old 12-12-2005, 09:11 PM

About 3 times now I've heard a constant ticking sound behind my dash. It ticked loudly about every second. I found that if I turned on my a/c or defroster the sound stopped. I have a suspicion that it has something to do with the cold weather as this problem started on a very cold night last month. I'll have it checked the next time I'm at the dealer.
Old 12-13-2005, 12:17 PM
dla

MagicMax and MAXIE06SE:

If the noise is a constant clicking noise that is associated with the A/C then there is a tsb for that on the 05 (not sure for the 06). Other noises are covered in the Sticky TSN no. 05110.

http://www.nissanhelp.com/Bulletins/Maxima/2005/1.htm

Hay, I might be two for two on this one!
Old 12-13-2005, 08:41 PM

Thanks a lot dla. I think you hit the nail right on the head for my problem. That's exactly what I think is happening. Thanks again!
Old 12-13-2005, 09:16 PM

The noise does it only happen when the fan/blower is on high? I have a noise with my max that sounds like air rushing past a piece of paper when my blower for the fan is at full blast. It is not constant as the auto feature doesn't usually keep the blower on full blast for long. It is annoying and I haven't had time to go searching for it but it does appear to come from the front near the defrost ports.
Old 12-16-2005, 02:44 PM
dla

Bikerbeng:

In short I think it’s the heater box selector flap that isn’t closing/opening all the way.

I had a similar issue with mine last winter. I never posed it because the noise was only there when the outside air temp was below 50°F and by the time Nissan got the new parts (like 8 plus weeks) it was like summer! Mine only happened when the blower was on the middle three settings and the selector was on anything but defrost. Mine sounded like that plus it had a whistle. Nissan replaced the entire heater core box (or what ever it was called) which I think included the selector flaps. So far so good. BTW, I had to take it to the stealership three times before I convinced them there was a problem. Additionally, the service manager told me ALL Maxima’s sounded that way. So I went to the sales lady that I ordered the car from and told her, she then gave me 8 sets of keys for Max’s on the lot and said “go check it out and bring back the keys when you’re done” . Only one of eight that I checked had the whistle . The service manager didn’t like that! Downside, they had to remove the entire dash and I had to drive an Altima for two day!

Let me know if you need more info on this, I’ll have to dig up my service record.
Old 12-17-2005, 05:36 AM

Originally Posted by dla
Bikerbeng:

In short I think it’s the heater box selector flap that isn’t closing/opening all the way.

I had a similar issue with mine last winter. I never posed it because the noise was only there when the outside air temp was below 50°F and by the time Nissan got the new parts (like 8 plus weeks) it was like summer! Mine only happened when the blower was on the middle three settings and the selector was on anything but defrost. Mine sounded like that plus it had a whistle. Nissan replaced the entire heater core box (or what ever it was called) which I think included the selector flaps. So far so good. BTW, I had to take it to the stealership three times before I convinced them there was a problem. Additionally, the service manager told me ALL Maxima’s sounded that way. So I went to the sales lady that I ordered the car from and told her, she then gave me 8 sets of keys for Max’s on the lot and said “go check it out and bring back the keys when you’re done” . Only one of eight that I checked had the whistle . The service manager didn’t like that! Downside, they had to remove the entire dash and I had to drive an Altima for two day!

Let me know if you need more info on this, I’ll have to dig up my service record.

Thanks for the info on this issue. It hasn't gotten to the point where it bothers me so much that I want the dealership to rip my dash apart to fix. I will keep this info for future reference though.