6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Can't get my back seat to go down

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2005, 04:25 AM

Can't get my back seat to go down

Both back seats used to drop down fine and now the passenger side rear seat (with the lock and most open area) lock will not disengage the seat. I've pulled on the strap, pushed down the release on the rear deck lid, and still the rear lock on that side won't disengage.

I haven't checked so see if I could get access from the back but is there any simple method that someone knows of to get this seat down so I can see what is happening with my lock?????
Old 12-14-2005, 07:49 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Get in the trunk. Pull the release and kick the seat back. Do this under adult supervision in case your trunk closes on ya while you're in there.

CM.
Old 12-14-2005, 08:26 AM
Newbie just Registered

Originally Posted by CanadianMoFo
Get in the trunk. Pull the release and kick the seat back. Do this under adult supervision in case your trunk closes on ya while you're in there.

CM.
He can use the anti-hijack trunk release
Old 12-14-2005, 09:06 AM
SuPeRmOd

Originally Posted by xavalancheowner
Both back seats used to drop down fine and now the passenger side rear seat (with the lock and most open area) lock will not disengage the seat. I've pulled on the strap, pushed down the release on the rear deck lid, and still the rear lock on that side won't disengage.

I haven't checked so see if I could get access from the back but is there any simple method that someone knows of to get this seat down so I can see what is happening with my lock?????
did you try your key? the lock may be locked oh and you do know you have to push the seat open while pressing the lock or pulling the strap, right?

Originally Posted by RHMax
Old 12-14-2005, 11:37 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by RHMax
ha ha I forgot all about that damn thing

CM
Old 12-14-2005, 04:19 PM

Yup, did all those things before I posted and the damn thing won't go down. That other handle is for the trunk release, not the seat release. There are two straps for each rear seat as you all know.....but the p/s doesn't want to work!!!!!!!
Old 12-14-2005, 05:53 PM

I had to have that entire lock assembly replaced over a year ago (under warranty), as pushing down the button did not release the latch.

The bad thing is the new lock is not 'keyed' to the original key, so I now have one more key to keep track of; a key that fits nothing but that one seat lock.

By the way, I did crawl into the trunk and lay on my back so I could look at the lock, but was unable to actually see anything, as it the whole thing is deeply immersed inside the parcel deck housing that covers everything. I could not figure how to remove the housing.

I will probably be going back to the dealer with this latch, as about eight months after they replaced the lock, that seat stopped latching altogether, no matter how hard I try. In the few emergency stops I have made in recent months, that seatback flops down on top of whatever is in that seat.

But, other than that, and having the dealer perform the new check on the routing of wires under the driver's seat, there is not a single thing bothering me with this car. Every mile I drive, I love this car more.
Old 12-14-2005, 06:59 PM

WOW!! I had no idea the button inside the car was there. When I bought the car I thought I checked under all the covers, but I seemed to have missed one. All this time I thought the only way to drop the seat backs was from the trunk..

By the way, may be a stupid question, but did you try leaning in hard on the seat pushing it into the latch incase it just under preasure?
Old 12-14-2005, 11:40 PM

Yup; tried pushing very hard, and also tried slamming it shut very hard.

I think my dealer's service man either did not adjust the new latch/lock exactly right when he installed it, or did not fasten everything securely. As a result, he gets to open everything back up and redo it.

I would probably just leave this situation as it is, except that my wife and I travel a lot, and usually have things on the back seat which we prefer to remain uncrushed. Such as our young grandchildren. Also, I have a fetish about having everything perfect.

I wish the latch/lock was more accessible, as this is the kind of thing I like to adjust, if only I could get to it.