6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Having trouble starting

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2005, 06:31 PM

Having trouble starting

I parked and left my car outside for 2 straight nights. Didn't drive for a day and a half, and on the 2nd morning i went out to take it for a spin, and the car just wouldn't start. After a while of struggling, I was able to jump start it back to life.

I'm wondering if any of you had this kinda problem. The Max has about 17000mi and previously never had this type of trouble. (never parked outdoor before hehe)

What's weird is that the same thing happened to my bro's 2001 Altima 2.5 before. It was parked outdoor in cold nights, undriven for 3-4 days and on the 4th morning I tried to start the car, it was cranking but just wouldn't start. 2-3 days later, it started up fine without help of jump cables.

What could it be? Any ideas?
Both times, it was foggy and cars were wet with morning dew. I'm wondering if that has anything to do with high humidity or water...
Old 12-13-2005, 06:44 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

So you're saying you had to jump yours? I ask because you mention "a while of struggling" and I don't know if that means you tried to jump it or start it, and it eventually did -- somehow.

What did it sound like though? The crank will "tell" you where the problem is, if it's the battery, starter or a problem with the fuel pump. If the car is moving fine now and doesn't have any problems, I'd still take it to have at least the battery checked out... could be that it's on its way out and the charge from driving it around "fixed" it, but it could be only a temporary fix...

After that battery mess I had, I went and got the Stinger terminals so I could keep an eye on the voltage. I check every week or so just to make sure there are no alternator/battery problems waiting to jump at me -- again -- when I least need them...
Old 12-13-2005, 06:54 PM

I jumped it. It was cranking but was too weak to churn up the motor to life.

I was thinking it might be water shorting out the battery... if that's ever possible... :P

I'm leaving it outside again tonight. I'll see tomorrow if same problem occurs.
Old 12-13-2005, 07:33 PM

Doubt this is the problem in CA but this is what my wifes altima fell under. Considered a "cold soak"

http://nissanhelp.com/Ownership/Bull.../NTB04-111.htm
Old 12-14-2005, 09:09 AM
http://www.cardomain.com/my/ed

I don't think it gets as cold in cali as it does over here in the northeast. I went out this morning and it was 18 degrees my car started right up. Sometimes even when I dont drive it all week when we stay below freezing. If the temperature does drop below freezing where you are it could be that the gas lines may have enough moisture to freeze up. I had that problem with my expedition. I added some gas line anti-freeze and the problem went away. If you are not getting freezing temps then you may need to look into the cold soak theory. good luck.
Old 12-14-2005, 06:08 PM

High humidity and water used to be a major problem with some vehicles (especially the distributor on Chrysler products). But the Maxima (as with most cars these days) does not use one of those old style distributors, and should not be bothered much by moist conditions.

From your description (battery turned engine over too slowly to start), I would look first at the battery. A battery that is used every day to start a garaged car can overcome a slow discharge (from whatever situation). But a car that has sat two nights in the cold is harder to start, and any slow discharge that may exist has had two days in which to bring down the power of the battery.

I would make sure the fluid level in the battery is correct, make sure the battery pole connections seem clean, and are making good contact with the cable clamps, then have the battery checked to see if it will hold a charge.

If it won't, the only option is a new battery. If it will, then you may have a short/drain which slowly draws down the battery. That must be found and fixed, and, unless one is 'electrically adroit', would probably have to be found by a professional.
Old 12-15-2005, 01:23 PM

Thx.
It started up fine today and yesterday mornings. Now I'm really pondering what caused it to happen.
The battery looks alright, but I guess I better have the battery checked soon...