6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

GF ran into a blocked exit with the 05

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2005, 07:53 PM

GF ran into a blocked exit with the 05

I'll let the pictures do the talking.

Basically the GF was heading back to her dorm and she mistook a blocked entrance (wasnt a exit) for an exit on I95 near Natick,MA.. She tried her hardest to stop but she ended up hitting the barricaded entrance at 30mph. That was the result. My worry is would there be structural damage to the car? If you look at the picture it seem the metal barricade bashed into pillars (where the A-pillas are located?) Do you also think I have to replace the whole hood or could the mechanic just pop out the dent and fix it? We are not reporting this to the insurance agency thus I will be paying for it.

Last but not least, anyone know of a good place in MA. to get this fixed? I know sh*t happens but the biggest thing that was bugging me the whole night was the amount of glass on my leather seats and floor. Its going to be a b*tch to get it all out.......
Old 12-19-2005, 08:06 PM

damm once shes ok thats all that matters.

the hood could be sanded and filled and painted back.
Old 12-19-2005, 08:08 PM

yeah, her friend who was in the passenger side almost freaked because the beam was about 7 inches from her face...... it was crazy for her
Old 12-19-2005, 08:08 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Yeah the damage doesn't look bad really. Windshield, junkyard hood and some minor work on the front doors.

At least she's fine.
Old 12-19-2005, 08:15 PM
Nations 1st 6th Gen Turbo

Holly ****, that s ks. The hood looks repairable, the pillar looks more tricky. Get a shop VAC to get all the glass out. Your GF must of really been distracted "CELL PHONE" to run into a closed barrier.

Hope your GF will be picking up some of the tab because it will not be cheap if you get it fixed by a good shop. Actually the window is probably the cheapest, however the pillar will need to be straighten before a new one can be put in. Good luck...
Old 12-19-2005, 08:24 PM
SHIFT_om nom nom nom

Originally Posted by chernmax
Holly ****, that s ks. The hood looks repairable, the pillar looks more tricky. Get a shop VAC to get all the glass out. Your GF must of really been distracted "CELL PHONE" to run into a closed barrier.
pwn3d.

Time for a new g/f.
Old 12-19-2005, 08:28 PM
Banned

I thought the scratch on my hood was bad.....yeah DUMP HER! lol
Old 12-19-2005, 08:51 PM

lol.... i hope she doenst see this.

yeah well, since she does have insurance, i was thinking i get the hood sanded, filled and repainted, the pillars fixed and then use my insurance for the free windshield repair.

thats what i have going so far. if the repairs cost > $2000 i rather go through the insurance agency.

i just dont want her points to go up.
Old 12-20-2005, 03:45 AM

IF you decide on a new hood, I have one. Shipping it up would be the only issue. Glad your GF is OK. PM me.
Old 12-20-2005, 05:15 AM

I can assure you the repairs are going to far exceed $2000 if you want it to look right.

Also, unfortunately all that glass in your AC vents is going to suck. There is no way to get it out of there and you will ALWAYS have noise (and little pieces of glass) coming out of your vents. I know this because this happened to my wife's Murano. I ended up selling it and getting her into a Lexus GX 470.

I am sorry to tell you this, but you have a really big problem on your hands getting your max done right...regardelss of the cost you are willing to accept.
Old 12-20-2005, 05:25 AM

I've had bad experiences with body shops, but I've found one that is more **** than anywhere else. Lenny's AutoBody in Middleboro, it's far from you I know, but you'll be more satisfied than going elsewhere. He only does insurance work though.

At least noone got hurt, except your g/f's feelings when you dumped her.
Old 12-20-2005, 05:46 AM
§è~® f®ÈÄk

Good thing you're not going through the insurance, some companies will not allow you to repair the pillars/roof components and will total out the car. GL on getting it fixed right.
Old 12-20-2005, 05:52 AM

Originally Posted by nismos14
Good thing you're not going through the insurance, some companies will not allow you to repair the pillars/roof components and will total out the car. GL on getting it fixed right.
I would personally rather total the car and start over. If insurance co would rather total a car (big $$) as opposed to repairing the damage (little $$) there would have to be a good reason (ie safety).
Old 12-20-2005, 05:54 AM
Nations 1st 6th Gen Turbo

A little glass cleaner and some rubbing compound should do the trick. It would be easier to dump your girlfriend and walk away from the whole situation. If she could do this sober, god forbid if she ever gets behind the wheel after having a few, or ???

All kidding aside, glad she and her friend are OK, whatever came through the window on the passengers side, if I where sitting there, you would have been cleaning up more than just glass!!!
Old 12-20-2005, 06:11 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by nismos14
Most insurance companies would look at the damage to the A-pillar and say the roof strength is compromised and total it rather than take a chance with a rollover later on. Hitting something at 30mph and having the bumper/absorber (or crumple zones) take the most of it is one thing... having the car stopped by jamming the A-pillars into a barricade doing 30 is another thing altogether...

Hopefully he can sort it out... I don't know if there's anything he can do now because he's waited a couple of days and he didn't report it or call the cops (from what I can see).
Old 12-20-2005, 06:39 AM

it happened last night. the cop was the guy who told my girl not to report it. lol its weird too because he basically said " its not my right to tell you what to do but u should have a mechanic look at it. If you take it to a insurance agency they will most likely jack up your points and say its totalled."

*just wondering... how many step points is this kind of accident? 3? *

this sucks a lot because the car only had 1500 miles on it.... i rather have my 03 take that kind of beating and keep the 05, but then again, i love my 03 and my girl. Cant dump either...
Old 12-20-2005, 06:48 AM

Again...if it is totaled its totaled. Points or no points you dont wanna half A** fixing a new car and be driving around in a vehicle that is not safe. Another thing to think about is resale...if you don't fix it right you will take a beating when you sell it because any good "car guy" will be able to tell its been wrecked.

Good luck bud.
Old 12-20-2005, 06:54 AM
.org extraordinaire

Right On The Money Vig

Originally Posted by viguera
Most insurance companies would look at the damage to the A-pillar and say the roof strength is compromised and total it rather than take a chance with a rollover later on. Hitting something at 30mph and having the bumper/absorber (or crumple zones) take the most of it is one thing... having the car stopped by jamming the A-pillars into a barricade doing 30 is another thing altogether...

Hopefully he can sort it out... I don't know if there's anything he can do now because he's waited a couple of days and he didn't report it or call the cops (from what I can see).

Right on the money, I saw an 2004 Impala with damage to front drivers pillar at the local autowreckers. I asked them whats wrong with the car, they told me it was a write off cause of structural failure. I couldnt beleive it :O

Id be lookin at getting another car bro, sorry about your fate.

Kam
Old 12-20-2005, 07:31 AM

hey thanks for the feedback guys. i needed it because ive been stressing out at work about what to do. I guess the best thing to do is take it to the insurance co. and have them pass judgement on the max. I dont want to put anyone in jeopardy because the repair was half a$$ed.
Old 12-20-2005, 07:39 AM

Originally Posted by maximo-SE
hey thanks for the feedback guys. i needed it because ive been stressing out at work about what to do. I guess the best thing to do is take it to the insurance co. and have them pass judgement on the max. I dont want to put anyone in jeopardy because the repair was half a$$ed.
Maybe you could get a new one and enjoy the improvements to the 06.
Old 12-20-2005, 07:55 AM

damn, glad your girl is ok. i thought it'll be a little scratch from the title of the thread...then i saw the pics...
Old 12-20-2005, 08:27 AM

glad everyones ok.
Old 12-20-2005, 08:43 AM
RVC

Glad noone was hurt...but I would seriously consider getting rid of that car. My brother's Lincoln LS had damaged pillars and got totaled. Good luck!
Old 12-20-2005, 08:45 AM

Ouch... glad they were both okay, Maximo.... all the best getting that fixed.
Old 12-20-2005, 08:59 AM

That sucks man about your car....but it's good to hear that your girl and her friend is ok. Hearing that they are all right is what matters. If you lived down this way i would try to help you out because i got shop. hope everything goes well with fixing car.
Old 12-20-2005, 09:08 AM

thanks guys
Old 12-20-2005, 09:30 AM
my rear view mirrors flap like a f-ing bird

holy crap!.... my girl also banged up my 02 maxima to the point I thought was totaled, I was mad and all, but still with her man, no need to get rid of her lol. **** happens, we all have to learn one way or another, is too bad thats the result you ended up with.

get it fixed no matter what and have great sex after HAHAHAHA... she will appreciate you more if you keep your cool..
Old 12-20-2005, 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by Tek-Niq
holy crap!.... my girl also banged up my 02 maxima to the point I thought was totaled, I was mad and all, but still with her man, no need to get rid of her lol. **** happens, we all have to learn one way or another, is too bad thats the result you ended up with.

get it fixed no matter what and have great sex after HAHAHAHA... she will appreciate you more if you keep your cool..
lol, i always apprecaite your comments tek-niq.. thanks
Old 12-20-2005, 10:04 AM
dot dot dot ...

Lesson learned, don't let gf drive car.
Old 12-20-2005, 12:12 PM
KC's FINEST

I say chop it, and have the first drop-top 6th.... heh

Naw, let'em total it. Let us pick parts, and you get a new one.
Old 12-20-2005, 12:35 PM

if you decide to fix it...make sure that before cleaning all the glass out of the interior, you put on the heater full blast to get anything out that fell into the air vents (especially the window one)
Old 12-20-2005, 01:08 PM
GrandPa

All that matters is that they are OK. Good thing she wasn't going faster.
Old 12-20-2005, 01:54 PM

Hell, I'm impressed the A-pillars held up so well. 30mph is pretty fast into the pillars.
Old 12-20-2005, 02:06 PM

This is the reason why you have Car Insurance.

So don't be scared. Use it.
Old 12-22-2005, 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by jasonjm
This is the reason why you have Car Insurance.

So don't be scared. Use it.
Good point, but then there is the concern of the premuims going up rediculously. But hey if you got the dough...pay for it yourself.
Old 12-22-2005, 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by maximo-SE
I'll let the pictures do the talking.

Basically the GF was heading back to her dorm and she mistook a blocked entrance (wasnt a exit) for an exit on I95 near Natick,MA.. She tried her hardest to stop but she ended up hitting the barricaded entrance at 30mph. That was the result. My worry is would there be structural damage to the car? If you look at the picture it seem the metal barricade bashed into pillars (where the A-pillas are located?) Do you also think I have to replace the whole hood or could the mechanic just pop out the dent and fix it? We are not reporting this to the insurance agency thus I will be paying for it.

Last but not least, anyone know of a good place in MA. to get this fixed? I know sh*t happens but the biggest thing that was bugging me the whole night was the amount of glass on my leather seats and floor. Its going to be a b*tch to get it all out.......
Yes! Collison repair Speicalist in hype park, at 22 wilton street. His name is mike and he does great work.......
Old 12-22-2005, 07:30 PM

HOLY CRAP!! Wow.. I am glad that everyone inside is ok.. Thats almost a nightmare.. I hope you get everything fixed bro.. Good Luck.. If you were in the Dallas TX area i could help you out.. Take Care, andhopefully it wont hurt your pocket book too much..
Old 12-22-2005, 08:25 PM
Banned

What exactly was the object that struck the windshield?
I mean...whatever it was, wasnt it sitting on the ground and bashed the front bumper and grille too?
Old 12-23-2005, 06:55 AM

Originally Posted by 04BlackMaxx
What exactly was the object that struck the windshield?
I mean...whatever it was, wasnt it sitting on the ground and bashed the front bumper and grille too?
You can tell it was some sort of barricade, high enough for the front to slip under (mostly). If you look at the A pillars you'll see exactly how high it was and how wide the cross-beam was -- doesn't look like more than 4-5 inches, and at least the width of the car.
Old 12-23-2005, 07:14 AM

hey guys, here is a update. The car isnt totalled. Pillars were not compromised. Cost will not be more than 2500. I guess thats a good thing since all I cared about was the people in the car. I was so psyched about getting a 2006 325XI too...... oh well. I still love my maximas. thanks for all the support, advice and kind words.

Quick Reply: GF ran into a blocked exit with the 05