6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

thinking of getting 06, but it seems so big and bulky

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2005, 04:28 PM

thinking of getting 06, but it seems so big and bulky

im thinking of getting a new car, between a4 quattro, tsx, altima 3.5 or the max (5/6 speeds). i like the maxima in general and the price is fair, but i feel like the new max is so bulky and long, like a dmann boat. i like the interior, except for the wierd gauges and center console. the reast of the dash seems kinda empty, like its missing something, the altima is pretty much the same, i guess the rear end id the only diff between the altima and the max. the other cars are i guess in a diff class. what do u 6th geners think.
Old 12-26-2005, 04:41 PM

i didn't like the 6th gen at first, but it grew on me each time i went to the dealer for a test drive. now i got one sitting outside

yeah, the car's kinda bulky, and the turning radius can be a bit better, but i'm not complaining too much.
Old 12-26-2005, 05:11 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by super6
im thinking of getting a new car, between a4 quattro, tsx, altima 3.5 or the max (5/6 speeds). i like the maxima in general and the price is fair, but i feel like the new max is so bulky and long, like a dmann boat. i like the interior, except for the wierd gauges and center console. the reast of the dash seems kinda empty, like its missing something, the altima is pretty much the same, i guess the rear end id the only diff between the altima and the max. the other cars are i guess in a diff class. what do u 6th geners think.

I think you should make up your own mind after careful consideration and driving experience with each of your possible choices, and not rely on what other people think you should buy.
Old 12-26-2005, 05:40 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Well those are very different cars you have on the list... the TSX is not even on the same league as the Max, and -- if anything -- you should be thinking TL, which is on the same price/performance range.

The A4 is a weird choice because you have everything from "crap" in the 2.0 (do they still make the 1.8 sedan?) to "good" in the 3.2. Still, you're in a similar league performance-wise (255 for the A4 vs. 265 for the Maxima), but you're looking at $5k more MSRP and 300 lbs. more on the Audi.

The Maxima is a lot bigger (a foot bigger than the A4) and while that translates into crappy turning radius it also translates into more room somewhere... whether it's a bigger trunk or more interior space, that's always a plus.

But in the end it's your choice... I'd say take a day and schedule test drives and see for yourself.
Old 12-26-2005, 05:56 PM

when i first seen it i had mixed feelings about it, then after a little bit of time it grew on me so much that now i have a set of keys to one.
Old 12-26-2005, 06:23 PM
Z

Originally Posted by viguera
Well those are very different cars you have on the list... the TSX is not even on the same league as the Max, and -- if anything -- you should be thinking TL, which is on the same price/performance range.

The A4 is a weird choice because you have everything from "crap" in the 2.0 (do they still make the 1.8 sedan?) to "good" in the 3.2. Still, you're in a similar league performance-wise (255 for the A4 vs. 265 for the Maxima), but you're looking at $5k more MSRP and 300 lbs. more on the Audi.

The Maxima is a lot bigger (a foot bigger than the A4) and while that translates into crappy turning radius it also translates into more room somewhere... whether it's a bigger trunk or more interior space, that's always a plus.

But in the end it's your choice... I'd say take a day and schedule test drives and see for yourself.

Let's not say anything stupid please. The 2.0T FSI in the Audi's is an unbelievable engine. Let's talk when Nissan throws an FSI engine in one of their cars or even AWD anywhere near as good as Quattro. Sh*t, with about $600 an A4 2.0T will eat up every 6th gen on the road.

As far as the original post is concerned, it's nothing but a bait thread. A soap box for someone to rag on the 6th gen and trying to be subtle about it. We get it, you don't like it. What was the point of you making this thread?
Old 12-26-2005, 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by NYPD-Arnold

As far as the original post is concerned, it's nothing but a bait thread. A soap box for someone to rag on the 6th gen and trying to be subtle about it. We get it, you don't like it. What was the point of you making this thread?
My thoughts exactly! The guy is a troller.
Old 12-26-2005, 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by AscendantMax
i didn't like the 6th gen at first, but it grew on me each time i went to the dealer for a test drive. now i got one sitting outside

yeah, the car's kinda bulky, and the turning radius can be a bit better, but i'm not complaining too much.
that's how I felt about the max when they first came out. I even posted my opinions on how i disliked it.. but then the design grew on me and after a test drive, forget about it.. the rest is history.

You should go test drive all of the cars from your list.
Old 12-26-2005, 07:15 PM

I dunno i think my galant picks up faster
Old 12-26-2005, 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by NYPD-Arnold
Let's not say anything stupid please. The 2.0T FSI in the Audi's is an unbelievable engine. Let's talk when Nissan throws an FSI engine in one of their cars or even AWD anywhere near as good as Quattro. Sh*t, with about $600 an A4 2.0T will eat up every 6th gen on the road.

first off, i didnt say i don t like the 6th gen, i said there are a few things i dont like about it, no car is perfect (maybe m5 is). the point was that i wanted opinions of 6th gen owners and how they feel about the performance of the car and looks of the interior.
Originally Posted by lobewiper
My thoughts exactly! The guy is a troller.
lobewiper, whatever a troller is u are defenatly one of those
Old 12-26-2005, 08:41 PM
http://www.cardomain.com/my/ed

Test drive like they said. I love my car but I understand some of the things that you don't like. It is a toss up and really a matter of taste. The max performs great but the quatro really handles. The max is bigger than the cars you mentioned but believe me it is deceptively quick and powerful. Don't let the size fool you. Size does matter but it depends on how you use it lol. It's a lot of bang for the buck.
Old 12-26-2005, 09:40 PM
Z

first off, i didnt say i don t like the 6th gen, i said there are a few things i dont like about it, no car is perfect (maybe m5 is). the point was that i wanted opinions of 6th gen owners and how they feel about the performance of the car and looks of the interior.

You're asking people about what they think of the car they just spent $30k on? What exactly do you expect someone like that to say...? No really.
Old 12-26-2005, 10:42 PM
dot dot dot ...

That has to be one of the weirdest option car lists I've ever seen.

TSX, too small for me.
A4, I like German, but wouldn't like to fix one, and do not like their TBW.
Altima's a good choice, but I'm strange in that I would think I was going a step down from my Maximas ... (I know, I'm psycho)

I'd take the 6MT A34.
Old 12-27-2005, 03:38 AM

super6, I think the word you were looking for is "definitely"...

Troll...from http://www.catb.org/~esr/jargon/html/T/troll.html

1. v.,n. [From the Usenet group alt.folklore.urban] To utter a
posting on Usenet designed to attract predictable responses or flames;
or, the post itself. Derives from the phrase "trolling for newbies"
which in turn comes from mainstream "trolling", a style of fishing in
which one trails bait through a likely spot hoping for a bite. The
well-constructed troll is a post that induces lots of newbies and
flamers to make themselves look even more clueless than they already
do, while subtly conveying to the more savvy and experienced that it
is in fact a deliberate troll. If you don't fall for the joke, you get
to be in on it. See also YHBT.

2. n. An individual who chronically trolls in sense 1; regularly
posts specious arguments, flames or personal attacks to a newsgroup,
discussion list, or in email for no other purpose than to annoy
someone or disrupt a discussion. Trolls are recognizable by the fact
that they have no real interest in learning about the topic at hand -
they simply want to utter flame bait. Like the ugly creatures they are
named after, they exhibit no redeeming characteristics, and as such,
they are recognized as a lower form of life on the net, as in, "Oh,
ignore him, he's just a troll." Compare kook.
Old 12-27-2005, 06:22 AM

I missed the power of my 5th when I got the 6th. There was a noticeable TQ difference. All in all, the 6th is a much better car. I love it!!
Old 12-27-2005, 07:09 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Maxima long, and bulky? You must be a very young person. I drove a 1975 Ford elite for my first car. Thats big, the max is tiny!
Old 12-27-2005, 07:21 AM
Nations 1st 6th Gen Turbo

If this is a boat, I am one happy skipper. ZERO regrets...
Old 12-27-2005, 07:31 AM

Originally Posted by iwanaMAx
I dunno i think my galant picks up faster
Since your not sure, I'll tell you, NO IT"S NOT...
Old 12-27-2005, 07:39 AM
Stang-seeking Max Missile

I had an A4

3 months ago, I got my new Max, and I'm glad I did. My lease was up on my 2002 A4 3.0 Quattro- it was a great car but should be for $39K. The Quattro system was remarkable. I test drove a new A4 2.0Q and was impressed but not enough to get one- it was @$3K more than the max, which has 55 more hp. Overall, the Max seemed like the better value- it's a lot of car for the $.
As impressed as I was w/ my A4, I needed more space(I now have a 1 yr old son). I told the Audi dealer that, until I can afford an A6 4.2Q, I won't be back. The max is the size of an A8 and feels substantial- I'm very happy w/ it and highly recommend it to anyone seeking a well-rounded package w/ considerable power. Also, I'm having a blast hookin' it up- I just ordered my Nismo Cold Air Intake, which will bump me up to 280 horse and a Trenz grille ( got tint 1st). I do think the TSX is a waste of $- I'd rather have a V6 Accord. Get the Max. Hope this was helpful.
Rich
Old 12-27-2005, 08:06 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

max versus others

I chose the max for the extra room. I have two boys and needed the space. If space was not an issue, i would have opted for a smaller car. In my opinion, the altima does not compare to the max - call it snob appeal. In my opinion, the V6 accord - is ............smaller - does not have the sporty appeal. The TSX - looks really nice, if i did not need the space, it might have been an option. The acura TL - can't really afford. The infiniti G35 - would love but can't afford. The lexus 350 (or is it 250?) would love but can't afford.
All in all, i am very pleased - but have only raked up 7K miles!
Old 12-27-2005, 11:50 AM

TSX felt sluggish going in and out of traffic, and this was after driving my 6th gen for some time now....
my friend just purchased the '05 TSX and he loves my max more than his TSX.
Old 12-27-2005, 02:29 PM

I missed the power of my 5th when I got the 6th.
I thought it was just me. My 2002 max seemed to pick up alot quicker than the 2006 I have now.
Old 12-27-2005, 02:54 PM
my rear view mirrors flap like a f-ing bird

Originally Posted by Max Dragon
I thought it was just me. My 2002 max seemed to pick up alot quicker than the 2006 I have now.
maybe somewhat alittle slower. you have the 18's and some added weight on the 6th gen with basicly the same engine..

I had a 02 also, and I think i stepped it up when I got my 6th gen. there's no going back here, unless I buy another for a second vehicle..
Old 12-27-2005, 03:08 PM

Love my MAX!!!
Old 12-27-2005, 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by chernmax
Since your not sure, I'll tell you, NO IT"S NOT...

yeah it does, im sure now
Old 01-06-2006, 02:27 PM

Hmmm, considering that we shopped the Maxima against the Toyota Avalon, Ford 500, Chevrolet Impala, etc, I think the Max is actually a bit on the small side.
Old 01-06-2006, 02:46 PM

All I know is I considered a TSX before the max. I liked it in every way until I stepped on the gas. Very Slow.

You should add a G35 to your list.
Old 01-06-2006, 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by Scramblinman
Hmmm, considering that we shopped the Maxima against the Toyota Avalon, Ford 500, Chevrolet Impala, etc, I think the Max is actually a bit on the small side.
Wow, that comment is kind of interesting considering other MAX owners on the Org refer to the 6th Gen as a boat. Interesting, very Interesting...
Old 01-06-2006, 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by Scramblinman

I hate american cars. From my experience, they are poorly built and designed, with exceptions to some of course.
Old 01-07-2006, 04:12 PM

hey i brought one and never drove it wife gave me all the input and i found this site so im learing to live with it. go for it. dont want to be the only one lol
Old 01-10-2006, 06:33 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Your first impression is very important, IMO. If you first think it's big and bulky. Don't go with it. You may look at Audi A3, instead of A4. This is the all new design.
Old 01-10-2006, 07:07 AM

i was just looking through this thread while im bored at work at noticed someone saying there galant picks up faster than a max.

All i can say to that is LOL
Old 01-10-2006, 07:48 AM

I looked at many cars before I was going to start making payments again. I tested the Max and then tested an Acura TL. The Acura has that typical car feel to the interior. Everything is square and placed exactly where you expect it and looks exactly like you imagine. The Acura even had the typical car ride, although the brakes could be less grabby. The Maxima on the other hand seems like it was designed with thought instead of tradition. It has an arching dash that makes you feel that you're sitting comfortably in the car and not tucked under the dash. And the three gauge cluster inspired from motorcycles has a modern look to them. Even the control cluster was designed to look up-to-date and the radio isn't shaped like the typical rectangle that you expect. It offers me a sense of openness and comfort. My wife really appreciates the cars interior since it doesn't feel like you're so wrapped in to the car.

I'm only going on my second week of ownership, but I seriously feel that I will enjoy this car for a long, long time. I would genuinely recommend a test drive to anyone thinking about a new car purchase. It's not the everyone car, but it's definitely the car for me.
Old 01-10-2006, 08:04 AM

just to add, ( i know i know, im post whoring it up rite now) i love my max, test drove a few diff cars before the purchase and the max just fits me rite. But the one thing i wish they would correct more than anything is the placement of the cluster. The way i position my seat/steering wheel, i cannot see how fast i am going nor the rpms( i can see speedo up to about 40 and tach about 3k rpm). Thats the biggest design flaw in the whole car IMO.
Old 01-10-2006, 08:08 AM
Newbie just Registered

Originally Posted by logik05se
just to add, ( i know i know, im post whoring it up rite now) i love my max, test drove a few diff cars before the purchase and the max just fits me rite. But the one thing i wish they would correct more than anything is the placement of the cluster. The way i position my seat/steering wheel, i cannot see how fast i am going nor the rpms( i can see speedo up to about 40 and tach about 3k rpm). Thats the biggest design flaw in the whole car IMO.
On that thought, I wish they would made the cluster move w/ the steering like the 350Z.
Old 01-10-2006, 08:30 AM

Originally Posted by 9Nails
I looked at many cars before I was going to start making payments again. I tested the Max and then tested an Acura TL. The Acura has that typical car feel to the interior. Everything is square and placed exactly where you expect it and looks exactly like you imagine. The Acura even had the typical car ride, although the brakes could be less grabby. The Maxima on the other hand seems like it was designed with thought instead of tradition. It has an arching dash that makes you feel that you're sitting comfortably in the car and not tucked under the dash. And the three gauge cluster inspired from motorcycles has a modern look to them. Even the control cluster was designed to look up-to-date and the radio isn't shaped like the typical rectangle that you expect. It offers me a sense of openness and comfort. My wife really appreciates the cars interior since it doesn't feel like you're so wrapped in to the car.

I'm only going on my second week of ownership, but I seriously feel that I will enjoy this car for a long, long time. I would genuinely recommend a test drive to anyone thinking about a new car purchase. It's not the everyone car, but it's definitely the car for me.
no way the max interior is nicer than the new tl, that inerior is perfect, olnly better one may be the m3.

i did consider the a3 but from what ive read the car handels like crap, plulled a .71 in skidpad, thats worse than some suv's, still i may test drive it.
Old 01-27-2006, 10:45 AM

i finally test drove a 6spd today....wow! very sweet ride, not as fast as i expected, more of a difference in the mid range, and handeling wasnt as bad as i expected. inerior feels a bit cheap but overall impression is very good, i really dont know if i should go for it.
Old 01-27-2006, 02:02 PM

lol go for itt man..
Old 01-27-2006, 06:13 PM

i finally test drove a 6spd today....wow! very sweet ride, not as fast as i expected, more of a difference in the mid range, and handeling wasnt as bad as i expected. inerior feels a bit cheap but overall impression is very good, i really dont know if i should go for it.
You know you want it, quit trying to justify yourseft. The new 6th gen now owns you... You will get it, you will love it, you will drive it, you will get over your old Max B!tch...
Old 01-27-2006, 06:59 PM

does the 6th gen rear suspension have the shoks and springs separately?? i dont know why but i hate that, wounder y they do it, i know its usually to place the shoks closer to the wheel to improve ride quality

Quick Reply: thinking of getting 06, but it seems so big and bulky