6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

DRL's??

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2005, 04:45 AM

DRL's??

According to this pic, we have a daytime running light. I have that light on my car, but It is not running during the day. Hell, I have never seen it on.

Old 12-30-2005, 04:52 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I think it's for canada only.
Old 12-30-2005, 06:04 AM
http://www.cardomain.com/my/ed

That is only for the Canadian models. New cars in Canada have to have daytime running lights by law.
Old 12-30-2005, 06:14 AM

Oh, I see. So it can not be activated on the states cars?
Old 12-30-2005, 07:00 AM

Speaking of lights... why are the lights on our Cars so dim? Not dim, but sure as hell not as bright as they should be. My feeling is that the stock headlights should be better. Any cheap, easy suggestions?
Old 12-30-2005, 07:04 AM

Originally Posted by Dblock905
Speaking of lights... why are the lights on our Cars so dim? Not dim, but sure as hell not as bright as they should be. My feeling is that the stock headlights should be better. Any cheap, easy suggestions?
You must not have the HIDs....I seldom get flashed cause mine are so bright. The highbeam is unreal how much it illuminates.
Old 12-30-2005, 07:18 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I've been flashed only a couple of times by oncoming traffic 'cause they thought the dims were too bright. When they see the brights they know better. I only let 'em see bright if I'm on a divided highway. I don't want both of us blinded in two way traffic.
Old 12-30-2005, 07:27 AM

have you checked to see if yours were aimed correctly, some people had that problem
Old 12-30-2005, 07:41 AM

are you kidding? I don't have HIDS, but I have the 9012s instead. Those are pretty darn bright bulbs. I've been flashed multiple times because people have thought I had my brights on. Definitely have yours checked to see if they are aimed correctly. They are MUCH brighter than the standard halogen bulb.
Old 12-30-2005, 08:54 AM

I have the HID's and they are DEFINATELY bright. I always wanted a car with HID's and I am glad I have one now. The highbeams are UNREAL as Max02gle said, when I use them I kinda feel like the road in front of me is illuminated by daylight!
Old 12-30-2005, 10:00 AM

I also get flashed for my HIDs. But back to the initial question. I would also be interested in finding out how to activate/install the dayrunners.
Old 12-30-2005, 10:50 AM

Wow i have the 9012's and have been flashed at so many times. I just hit them with the high's after to blind them a bit
Old 12-30-2005, 12:44 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I want to change out my headlights for HIDs, they're so dim. Anybody know of a link or can tell me how to do it? Any suggestions on an HID vendor?
Old 12-30-2005, 02:01 PM
*moderator*

Originally Posted by lclrod
I also get flashed for my HIDs. But back to the initial question. I would also be interested in finding out how to activate/install the dayrunners.

I looked into the daytime runnning lights, the socket where it would go on the US version is just solid plastic, looks like it would have to be cut out/open. I also looked online to try and possibly find the OEM modules for the DRL's and no luck...
I thought about installing some kind of aftermarket light in that socket, but I don't really want to mess with the housing!
Old 12-30-2005, 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by jsmithsole
I looked into the daytime runnning lights, the socket where it would go on the US version is just solid plastic, looks like it would have to be cut out/open. I also looked online to try and possibly find the OEM modules for the DRL's and no luck...
I thought about installing some kind of aftermarket light in that socket, but I don't really want to mess with the housing!
i was thinking the same... I really wanted to have 3 sets of HIDs but I guess I'll have to settle with 2 sets.
Old 12-30-2005, 06:23 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Since i have taken mine apart, the problem lies with the Chrome Part. You would have to drill through that as well.. but if you tape it off really good you could carefully drill it.. What i would suggest instead of a light would be to install some LED's.. Might be able to get some PVC Pipe and cut it up to help keep the light in place, and seal it off. just a thought.. Had a friend that had it set up, that when you tuned off your car the LED's (Blue in his case) would light up his interior of his lights.. LEGAL because the car is off.
Old 12-30-2005, 07:08 PM
*moderator*

Originally Posted by MAXIMA-GHOST
install some LED's.. Might be able to get some PVC Pipe and cut it up to help keep the light in place, and seal it off. just a thought.. Had a friend that had it set up, that when you tuned off your car the LED's (Blue in his case) would light up his interior of his lights.. LEGAL because the car is off.

That's the other option I was thinking as well, more of an accent light, or you could hook them up to the alarm and have them blink when it's armed...
Old 12-30-2005, 08:42 PM

guys .. do not bother with the DRL's... (unless u change the stock bulbs) ...

I have had mine changed (both sides) over three times now ( 54000 km ) ... and have never seen any car that reqd. so many changes for these bulbs.... small bumps (that shock the absorbers) on the road will make these bulbs break!!

The 6th gen MAX really stands out here, on Canadian roads, not for obvious beauty reasons, but coz. it is the one car that has it's DRL's off!! (mostly coz they are broken)
Old 01-03-2006, 09:23 AM

Thanks for that research...I guess i'll just do w/out them. I have no desire in drilling anything, especially if what tubells said is true.
Old 01-04-2006, 11:36 AM
.org extraordinaire

lol

Originally Posted by 02MaxGLE
Thanks for that research...I guess i'll just do w/out them. I have no desire in drilling anything, especially if what tubells said is true.
Mine is going in next week to have the passengers DRL replaced. But you know what I'n the day i dont mind having other stooges out there seeing me and it saves me from the wear and tear on the xeons. Plus if you get a nicer bulb they can shine pretty bright.

Kam
Old 01-18-2006, 11:55 AM

newbie question?

where can i find those 9012's bulbs for my max!?
Old 01-18-2006, 12:06 PM

I found replacements online for like $30 a piece. I believe they were on ebay. Just search online and you'll find them somewhere. You could go to the dealer, but I know they'll charge you A LOT for each bulb. They are not available in stores yet, though. Seems weird since our cars have been out for a few years now.
Old 01-18-2006, 12:07 PM

wanting to know or any suggestions on which bulbs to get that look like xexnon? for my 05 max! thanks guys!
Old 01-18-2006, 12:10 PM

Here's an ebay listing for the 9012 bulbs:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/TOSHI...spagenameZWDVW
Old 01-18-2006, 01:02 PM
.org extraordinaire

Originally Posted by kamilkluczewski
Mine is going in next week to have the passengers DRL replaced. But you know what I'n the day i dont mind having other stooges out there seeing me and it saves me from the wear and tear on the xeons. Plus if you get a nicer bulb they can shine pretty bright.

Kam
HAHAHAH i had the passenger side DRL replaced last week and drivers side DRL replaced today. :O WTF!

I need to find some whicked bulbs to stuff in there and see what happens.

MUAHAHAHAHA, now only if could figure out how to have the DRLs stay on all the time even with the dual xenons and the turning lights, thats would be awesome.

Kam
Old 01-18-2006, 03:47 PM

The HIR 9012 can replace a stock 9006/ HB4 bulb.

So I guess if we get a 9006 HID kit, it would work ?
Old 01-19-2006, 12:57 PM

O.K., I'm stupid. How do you know what kind of lights you have? I thought I had the HID's because they are so incredibly bright. What is a 9012? I have an '04 SE, DDP.
Old 01-19-2006, 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by ttbeam
O.K., I'm stupid. How do you know what kind of lights you have? I thought I had the HID's because they are so incredibly bright. What is a 9012? I have an '04 SE, DDP.
You have the HID's which are D2S they come factory with the Drivers Preferred Package.
Old 01-19-2006, 05:58 PM

You have the HID's which are D2S they come factory with the Drivers Preferred Package.
Old 01-19-2006, 05:58 PM

Old 01-22-2006, 02:59 PM

how long do our HID's last? Just curious. Also, any of you had your fog lights burn out fast, mine last about 4 to 6 months and then I am replacing the bulb.. what gives? Do you think the housing gets too hot? That makes me think about the HID's lasting... even tho those do not get hot, I think it may be related to the flickering when we turn out light switch to "ON" all the way from "OFF" it passes throught the "AUTO" setting and then the "PARK" lights part where it turns the heads and fogs off for a split second... that can't be good for the HID's!
Old 01-22-2006, 03:08 PM

I just posted this but can't see it on the posts...

How long do our HID's last? Just curious. Also, any of you had your fog lights burn out fast, mine last about 4 to 6 months and then I am replacing the bulb.. what gives? Do you think the housing gets too hot? That makes me think about the HID's lasting... even tho those do not get hot, I think it may be related to the flickering when we turn out light switch to "ON" all the way from "OFF" it passes throught the "AUTO" setting and then the "PARK" lights part where it turns the heads and fogs off for a split second... that can't be good for the HID's!
Old 01-22-2006, 04:26 PM
*moderator*

Just so you guys know, when I was doing my LED project I checked out the DRL slot on the US version. You can see an outline where the socket would go but it's one solid piece of plastic. So I got a wild hair and decided to drill a little hole to see what was behind it. Inside it's all sealed off, it would probably take a bit of work or removing the lens and doing some work to even insert an aftermarket bulb to run as a US version DRL...

I'm putting this one behind me now...
Old 12-03-2010, 06:58 PM

Just so you guys know, when I was doing my LED project I checked out the DRL slot on the US version. You can see an outline where the socket would go but it's one solid piece of plastic. So I got a wild hair and decided to drill a little hole to see what was behind it. Inside it's all sealed off, it would probably take a bit of work or removing the lens and doing some work to even insert an aftermarket bulb to run as a US version DRL...

I'm putting this one behind me now...
Came across this old thread and I remember another org member drilling a hole in this sealed off section and installing a park light/running light in this location. He had a pic of it too. I thinking about installing a 168 parking light bulb in this space and modding the stock parking light/blinker so it would be a blinker only. Swithchbacks are a 2nd consideration, but haven't seen too many people talk about this mod. How many others have done this mod??
Old 12-03-2010, 07:36 PM
KC's FINEST

My first actual hunt was back when I was in my early teens. We had just moved to Colorado and three of us (all about the same age) headed out into the Cattleman's Association land (cattle were in a different part of it). We were just out for a walk and to do some shooting.

Didn't take long until one of the guys had one. We just let it drop and moved on. Within five minutes one of the other guys had one and suggested we have squirrel for lunch. We went back and got the first one and the guys started cleaning theirs.

While they were busy, I went out and got one myself. Amazing how good they taste when you clean/skin them in fresh stream water, then fry and serve with fried potatoes.
Old 12-03-2010, 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by KCmaxx
My first actual hunt was back when I was in my early teens. We had just moved to Colorado and three of us (all about the same age) headed out into the Cattleman's Association land (cattle were in a different part of it). We were just out for a walk and to do some shooting.

Didn't take long until one of the guys had one. We just let it drop and moved on. Within five minutes one of the other guys had one and suggested we have squirrel for lunch. We went back and got the first one and the guys started cleaning theirs.

While they were busy, I went out and got one myself. Amazing how good they taste when you clean/skin them in fresh stream water, then fry and serve with fried potatoes.
Well now I'm really confused?!?!?
Old 12-04-2010, 06:03 AM

I was looking at some of the earlier posts and it was mentioned that both the plastic and chrome piece needs to be drilled. Thought it would be just the outer plastic, but the extra inner chrome drilling makes this mod more of a hassle and increases the chance for something to go wrong. Looks like I might resort to plan 'B' by going the switchback route.