6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

What do you hate most about...

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2006, 10:02 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

There is only 2 things that I can really say I dislike about the car,

1 of course being the dumb wide turning radius, and the other which i have posted in another thread, is the terrible placement of the cluster. The way I sit/steering wheele position makes it pretty much impossible to see speedo/tach. I can see the speedo up to about 40 and the tach up to about 3000 rpm.

Other than that, I really do love the car.
Old 01-12-2006, 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by NismoMax80
.....I like my screen much better than other simple displyas. you know you can adjust the brightness right?? You could have bought the NAVI......
When I said hard on the eyes, I wasn't refering to brightness, just the color. I'm glad you like it so much better, actually I could care less but I was aware of the NAVI option. My dislike for the orange color wasn't greater than having to dish out another grand for something I didn't need. Plus even with the Navi screen the dash lights are still orange right? So we're back to square one....
Old 01-12-2006, 12:04 PM
SuPeRmOd

Originally Posted by lowkey122
Plus even with the Navi screen the dash lights are still orange right? So we're back to square one....
you said display, so I figured you meant the orange screen which becomes full color with NAVI. you can pm gec about his led color change if you're interested to change all the orange to another color.
Old 01-12-2006, 03:06 PM

I would prefer to have RWD but I don't really hate anything about the Max. I think it's a good looking car and value for the money. Anything I didn't like - I changed (Grill, Wheel Gap, etc)
Old 01-12-2006, 03:45 PM

turning radius, and the rather small rear window. i'm used to seeing out a large glass when backing out etc.
Old 01-12-2006, 04:27 PM
* THIS SPACE FOR RENT *

Front wheel gap/turning radius/gauge cluster positioning/no automatic mirror when car is in park or turned off like mercedes/grille... other then that i love it but cant wait till it gets out of the bodyshop to see if i can get rid of her. I've got a year left on lease
Old 01-12-2006, 08:50 PM

that this car is such a good looking beast, that so many people went out and got it ... and now my 3 yr old does not get that much attention as it did in the first two years!!
Old 01-13-2006, 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by jjs
Not quite....

this is the most singularly stupid statement I have seen in a while...

""The paint could chip less"

I agree. but you know if you drove the speed limit, it won't chip like that."
It's OK you thought that was stupid, I thought the same when I saw you had a 300C
Old 01-13-2006, 12:33 PM
jjs

Originally Posted by STARR
It's OK you thought that was stupid, I thought the same when I saw you had a 300C

Owww, OUCH, ARRRGHHHH...oh that hurt!!!! (not)

Words of wisdom from a newbie. Hope you have better things to contribute.

Old 01-13-2006, 01:05 PM

i wish my cornering lights were in the front so i could call them fog/driving lights and when it just starts to get dark outside i could drive with them on for a while then when it gets totaly dark i could compliment them with my hids
Old 01-13-2006, 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by OmarBadu
turning radius is horrible

hard to flick signal for a lane change without having it go into full turn mode

other than that i'm happy
I agree with the turning radius but not the flash to pass, I drive cross country with mine and believe me I flash my signal to pass without it going into the turning mode many times.

Originally Posted by BLAXIMA2K4
I hate that its black and I have to keep it CLEAN everyday!
I hear ya, I knew when I went with Onyx it would be work but it sure looks sweet!

I really don't hate anything about my Max. It is a geat car.
Old 01-13-2006, 04:27 PM
RVC
Donating Maxima.org Member

I hate all the problems I am having with mine...hopefully the buyback process will go smooth.
Old 01-13-2006, 07:03 PM

Fog Lights, Shimmy, Wish rotors and brakes couldve tooken more of a beating
Old 01-14-2006, 06:28 PM

the grill definitely......but that's why the aftermarket exists for all of us....
Old 01-14-2006, 07:04 PM

Hate the wheel gap in front, turning radius, and amber LED interior.. Grill is still one of the least fav's on the car. All in all i love my MAX.. LAter..
Old 01-15-2006, 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by BLAXIMA2K4
I hate that its black and I have to keep it CLEAN everyday!
but once you clean it, you feel better. right?
i wish i had purchased the black max instead of my silver one.

my next car is going to be black.
Old 01-15-2006, 04:22 PM
*moderator*

Originally Posted by regalgs on dubz
i wish my cornering lights were in the front so i could call them fog/driving lights and when it just starts to get dark outside i could drive with them on for a while then when it gets totaly dark i could compliment them with my hids

You mean like this...
Old 01-15-2006, 04:24 PM
SuPeRmOd

Originally Posted by minsbang
but once you clean it, you feel better. right?
i wish i had purchased the black max instead of my silver one.

my next car is going to be black.

Cleaning my Max after a few neglected winter months (or even weeks) is a powerful Anti-depressant.

Last winter, started feeling down and saw a nice clean black car. Looked at my grey, salty Max and went to the carwash. After a few minutes, felt like day one driving her home again
Old 01-16-2006, 03:46 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

- the rare deck rattling
- the seats takes a while to heat up
- the grill
Old 01-16-2006, 04:50 AM
MDS

The gauges are too small and their tunnels block the upper portion of their view.

The HVAC buttons are small and require a deliberate look to use.

The rear end of car sags heavily when carrying passengers or weight in the trunk.

Turning radius large

No release to open trunk from outside of car. (Must always have keys or walk around the car to its driver’s door.)

Non –HID lights have very narrow high-beam dispersion pattern. The sides of the road remain unlit.

The engine could easily operate at 2500 rpms or 2600 rpms at 80 mph instead of 3000 rpms. It would make it feel more relaxed.
Old 01-16-2006, 08:19 AM

Thing I hate the most:

Poor service and incompetence from Nissan dealerships in my area.

Things I dislike about the car:

-Turning radius
-Poor fit and finish
-Winter driving capability
Old 01-16-2006, 11:41 AM

Turning Radius & Info Screen & Base

No excuse for such a poor turning radius...both my F250 Superduty and my Expedition have better turning abilities than the Maxima. You really have to plan and line yourself up properly to get into tight spaces or normal turns that otherwise aren't a problem.

The info screen is starting to get a bit of haze to it, does collect a lot of dust, and is prone to scratching pretty easily if you aren't careful.

Bose base can't handle much of anything.

But I still do love the car and the power.
Old 01-16-2006, 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by MDS
The rear end of car sags heavily when carrying passengers or weight in the trunk.
Agreed.

Originally Posted by MDS
No release to open trunk from outside of car. (Must always have keys or walk around the car to its driver’s door.)
Damn, i never notice this. There's no keyed lock back there? Now I have to go out in the cold and look for myself

My main dislike is no LSD. I'm surprised no one else has mentioned this. No LSD in a 265hp FWD car is absolutely rediculous. Nissan cheaped out there.
Old 01-19-2006, 09:14 AM

The light in the trunk leaves much to be desired but other than that Im happy.
Old 01-19-2006, 10:57 AM

The only thing that I can honestly say I HATED was the grill but I got an aftermarket one pretty quickly.

I do not like the turning radius either but don't find myself in too many positions where it's needed.

Two things that have not been mentioned yet that I have found to be not very desirable is the comfort of the front seats. When I'm a passenger, it's not possible to put your head back and relaxe, the same can be said for the driver's side but it's not something I tend to try to do while driving. Also, the backseat seat belts are way too grabby, and to release it you have to unbuckle it and let it retract and then buckle it again.

I pretty pleased with everything else. Have never regretted the purchase and never dislike driving it.
Old 01-19-2006, 11:49 AM
Stang-seeking Max Missile

Suds In The Trunk

The Seals, Or Lack There Of On The Trunk- Every Time I Wash The Car, I Have Madd Suds In The Trunk! That's It- Overall, I Love My Car!
Old 01-19-2006, 01:01 PM

No one's said this yet: I have a 4th gen I-30t 5 speed, and a 6th gen Max 6 speed. After 6k miles of driving, I'm not wild about the 6 speed. Why do I need more closer ratio gears with a more powerful engine? When the light turns green, I'm usually in third gear by the time I get across the intersection. Maybe I just need more time to get used to it. I still drive both cars.

Driver's seat is too flat for a performance car, and the seat doesn't support you enough on the edges in a fast turn. That's important when driving a stick. I'd love to get high-end racing seats for the front. The quality of the upholstering overall is not too good. The leather is loose in some areas.

+ paint chips on black with WHITE primer (only 6k miles!) Damn EPA.
+ turning radius
+ stock Bose should play MP3's (like the G35's does and like the Nissan salesman said it would)

Also wish I'd held out for black exterior with burnt orange leather interior (supposedly available only with Captain's rear seat package), but my black/grey is otherwise terrific.
Old 01-19-2006, 08:00 PM
You Don't Wanna Play Me

I hat the fact that you practically have to have a degree in physics to change/ modify the headlights. lol , not really that hard but it's a pain in the ***.

oh and the tractor trailer turning radius.

But as soon as i stomp on the gas or see a chick giving me the EYE while I'm in it makes me forget it.

Chris
Old 01-21-2006, 06:44 AM
mwh

I have only had my Max for a month -so far the only thing I have noticed is the turning radius is lame. The more I drive it the more I LOVE IT!

After seeing how easy the road ruined the front-end paint on my black '02 SE Altima I had the invisible-pattern shield (mylar) installed on the front of the Max. Last week got caught in a wind storm (60+ mph winds) near a construction site and there were stone marks across the front portion of the hood and the shield protected it -no scratches
Old 01-21-2006, 07:39 AM

Originally Posted by dmargaros
No excuse for such a poor turning radius...both my F250 Superduty and my Expedition have better turning abilities than the Maxima. You really have to plan and line yourself up properly to get into tight spaces or normal turns that otherwise aren't a problem..
Do either of those trucks have their engine AND transmission completely between the two front tires? Maxima's turning radius could be made tighter if it were a rear-wheel drive. I hope Nissan considers this for the next gen. But I really appreciate the roomy interior as a result of the engine layout. I guess it's a no-win situation. Perhaps a shorter transmission can be engineered?
Old 01-21-2006, 10:12 PM
Banned

This thread is gettting alarmingly large...i forgot about the seats that take too long to get warm. The seats need to get hot as fast as the wheel does. Whats the point of heated seats when by the time they are hot the car is hot and the heater has already warmed the cabin? Seriously the weakest heated seats.
Old 01-21-2006, 10:18 PM
SuPeRmOd

Originally Posted by TheGame
I hat the fact that you practically have to have a degree in physics to change/ modify the headlights. lol , not really that hard but it's a pain in the ***.
Personally I love that fact.
Maybe you've heard of a 5th gen HID theft issue? Possibly...
Old 01-22-2006, 04:36 AM

Definately The Turning Radius.

Quality Of The Paint.

Stock Grill.

Shift ****. Mine Broke Like 3 Times Already.
Old 01-22-2006, 04:57 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Turning radius -
it's tough to get it parked at the grocery store, but I don't mind it too much because I like the wide wheel base.

Orange Screen
I sure wish that I could change it now that I've lived with it for a few months

Lack of Full RDS
I like that it displays the name of the radio station, but most other RDS equiped radios display the song, artist, etc in with a memo button.
Old 01-22-2006, 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by rob2000007
Lack of Full RDS
I like that it displays the name of the radio station, but most other RDS equiped radios display the song, artist, etc in with a memo button.
mine does song title artist station, and during the breaks it says "We'll be right back!!" or something along the lines of that
Old 01-22-2006, 06:51 PM

I'm a new owner of a 06 Maxima, nice ride, we love it, so far the only complains with the car is the turning radius, very wide, bluetooth not capable of showing incoming calls, phonebook, etc, etc on the screen, this car has a nice massive huge screen and there is no way to see anything from the phone in it, well, if there is a way please let me know, like I said, I just picked up the car a couple of days ago. And so far no capable of connecting and IPOD. What I would like to see is plug my IPOD and have it fully integrated in my stereo (BOSE).
Thanks.
Old 01-23-2006, 01:47 PM

Not an engineer...

Originally Posted by 9Nails
Do either of those trucks have their engine AND transmission completely between the two front tires? Maxima's turning radius could be made tighter if it were a rear-wheel drive. I hope Nissan considers this for the next gen. But I really appreciate the roomy interior as a result of the engine layout. I guess it's a no-win situation. Perhaps a shorter transmission can be engineered?
Both trucks are MUCH longer and MUCH wider than the Maxima. As far as engine and transmission between the two front tires, I am assuming (though I could be wrong) that the Expy 4x4 must have some sort of gear in the front between the wheels?
Old 01-23-2006, 06:11 PM

I love my max, but ya..the turning radius is terrible...and compared to others in its class the interior sure could use a lot of help.
Old 01-24-2006, 07:23 AM

Dash squeaks whenever the weight of the car shifts (turning, stopping, starting, etc.)
Old 01-25-2006, 11:06 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

The only thing that really bothers me is the inclusion of a tape deck... honestly I have never ever used it, nor have I even seen tapes for sale anymore. I wish that space was used for either extra storage or some kind of auxiliary input.

Quick Reply: What do you hate most about...