6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

What do you hate most about...

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2006, 11:45 AM

I would have to say the suspension..
Old 01-25-2006, 09:01 PM
Nations 1st 6th Gen Turbo

Actually, The absolute number one annoying failure is the Cassette. WTF was Nissan thinking...
Old 01-25-2006, 10:00 PM

Originally Posted by chernmax
Actually, The absolute number one annoying failure is the Cassette. WTF was Nissan thinking...
Cassette? Those are like 8-track players, right? Friggin' useless waste of space.

I would have rather had an Xbox tucked behind there than a tape deck! Hmmm... I wonder...
Old 01-26-2006, 04:50 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Again the terrible turning radius.
Also,
-Despite having leather seats, we have fuzz on the doors and dashboard.
-For a luxury car there are only 2 headrests in the back seat.
-I have just had my car at the dealer for over 2 weeks awaiting a small plastic item that is backordered nationwide(on a TSB)>
-Weak interior quality compared to Toyota and Acura.
-Lack of running lights.
You would expect better in their "flagship". You'd also expect Nissan to have enough parts to service their cars, especially a cheap piece of plastic already known to fail.
Old 01-26-2006, 07:16 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by 9Nails
Cassette? Those are like 8-track players, right? Friggin' useless waste of space.

I would have rather had an Xbox tucked behind there than a tape deck! Hmmm... I wonder...
cassette decks are actually used in alot of highline luxo cars...i.e. lexus ls430....pretty sure the logic behind that is more expensive cars are usually aimed towards older buyers. older buyers still have cassettes.
Old 01-26-2006, 07:55 PM

Torque steering!
Old 01-26-2006, 08:39 PM
Nations 1st 6th Gen Turbo

Originally Posted by logik05se
cassette decks are actually used in alot of highline luxo cars...i.e. lexus ls430....pretty sure the logic behind that is more expensive cars are usually aimed towards older buyers. older buyers still have cassettes.
WTF are you talking about , older drivers have had the newer technology while you were still sucking your thumb. We may be older but not stupid. I’ve always had the latest in technology, and since I make the greenbacks, I also decide on how much my kids get.

Your logic and thinking are both flawed…
Old 01-27-2006, 03:20 AM
2004 Smoke

I have had about 30 beefs with this car since new, but here are the main ones:

- Overall low quality - lots of things breaking/failing, all the time
- Increasing number of re-calls
- Shimmy that Nissan can not fix after many repeated attempts
- Seats that don't heat very well
- Turning radius of a tractor trailer
- Info screen that won't return to the main screen after inuse (crappy software logic)
- Cheap, easy to scratch plastics on doors and shift plate
- 1-2 inches missing headroom with sunroof
Old 01-29-2006, 07:23 PM

Shimmy, and poor rotors!
Old 01-30-2006, 11:57 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

i just got mine two days ago and i love the car so much. but if i was to complain about something it would be the work that i have to put into it just to change the HU. i've been readiing the post and am not to sure how to accomplish this. don't know where to get my hands on the metra kit. one other thing would be the car payments. really hate those.
Old 01-30-2006, 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by chernmax
WTF are you talking about , older drivers have had the newer technology while you were still sucking your thumb. We may be older but not stupid. I’ve always had the latest in technology, and since I make the greenbacks, I also decide on how much my kids get.

Your logic and thinking are both flawed…
Older people enjoy the books on cassette tapes and not all of them are available on CD's.....
Old 01-31-2006, 06:08 AM
jjs

Some of us have stuff on cassettes since that was the only medium available at the time. Many of the things I have on tape are irreplaceable...one example being club music from Sweden I got many, many years ago from a transfer student I was seeing.
Old 01-31-2006, 05:13 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

What I don't like

I submitted this in another thread but figured it fitted nicelly in here:

Dislikes:
- Noticeable downshift from 3 to 2 when coasting to a stop.
- Gas pedal a bit too sensitive and spring too soft.
- Auto anti-dazzling mirror: no manual override. This feature is flawed. When driving with constant illumination from rear, all 3 mirrors dim very nicely and provide a fairly good glare reduction. The problem is that the minute the illumination in the rear disappears, the mirrors turn clear. In stop and go traffic, or if a car follows too close, the mirror is too slow to respond and the driver gets full light intensity in vision. A manual override to keep it on at night would solve this.
- Sound system: no mp3 support. Most other manufacturers (including Infiniti or 350Z) offer this either standard or as an option. Having 6 cd changer built in just does not do it. One mp3 cd is worth about 10 normal cd as to music capacity. I installed a JVC 12 disk mp3 changer, works great.
- Poor design of controls for heater/ac system. Buttons are too small to operate with gloves in winter. Driver must read them to properly identify. Trying to hit "rear defrost" without looking carefully will quite likely get you the front defrost. At this point, any settings you have selected are gone as there is no way to turn the front defrost off but by selecting some other mode of operation. You can always press "Auto" but it possibly will not blow the way "YOU" wanted it to do before. On "Auto", the system is usually adequate only for normal situations. Quite often in the winter, I have the system set for heat on my feet to dry the snow on the boots. The present system on the Altima is vastly superior.

- Curved door panel armrests: nice design but my arm is straight. Not comfortable.
- Air bag indicator on dash top. Why would I want to know that there is nobody sitting beside me!. This indicator attracts the eye at night as it is too high. Either put it somewhere on the console or remove it altogether.
- 12V power outlets: they do not operate unless the vehicle is left with key in the ignition at accessory position. Why? If one is concerned the a constant drain on the battery might discharge it, then leaving things just make it worse. FOund while looking for power for an mp3 CD changer.
- Manual shift: I don't see why a manual shift feature is provided as the computer will override the selection whenever it feels like it. If I want to select a gear that is way out of range, then fine. But if I want to keep it in a specific gear, then the computer should be out of it!.
- Car is a bit noisy: sometimes it almost feels like a door is oppened a crack. More insulation in the doors?? Better than the Altima though.
- I just hate the noisy flasher indicator. In my opinion, a luxury car should be quiet!
- Foglight operation: why can't the foglights be turned on on their own? You must have regular night driving lights on for the foglights to turn on. It defeats the purpose of having low mounted lights to drive in fog. As they are now, they only provide minimal illumination increase.
- Storage compartment at bottom of dash console: difficult access when car is parked. Also, quite small. Cassette deck should have been deleted to make room for more storage.
- Dash display console: when trip or fuel economy displays are selected as well as the radio being on, the trip readings do not stay on. They only display for about 15 seconds. The display of radio channels and trip do not compete for space, why then not leave the information I request when I want it displayed! Frustrating. When you need to use the trip odometer, it is because you want to see it!
- Cruise control indication. The dimmer control for the dash and console controls illumination of everything BUT these two green lights. Very annoying when driving at night with cruise control. Two bright green dots! also, why would I need to know it is ON and SET! One indicator would have been enough.
- Speedometer indication: why not use a larger portion of the display? As it is, the normal 0 to 100 kph covers only about 75 degrees. Altima speedo vastly better.
- Trunk lid heavy to open. Due to the strut system. Of course this way they don't extend into the storage area, but it makes it harder to open. Light in trunk fairly dim too.
- Leather seat heater not quick enough when it's cold outside. Only seat center section heated too.
- Heated steering wheel temperature varies quite a bit: from cool to almost too hot to hold without gloves. Also hard to find button in the dark with gloves.
- Torque steer is really too pronounced. The car needs rear wheel drive.
- Vehicle Dynamic Control: not always the best unless you are not in a hurry. Also, cannot turn it off. Switch only turns off traction control.

Maybe I am picky, but I thought that buying a nice new car would do it. I guess not. Back to my old '64 as soon as the weather turns warm again!

In the mean time, I drive my wife's Altima. She does love the Maxima though. To each his/her own I guess!
Old 01-31-2006, 05:51 PM

What a disortation! We need you on the 7th gen design team!
Old 02-01-2006, 03:49 AM

lol i love how my thread grew to like 4 pages. I dont know its been like 3 months now and im still not liking the maxima as much as i thought i would. I really really wanted a 5th gen 6spd but the car was a gift soo what can i do...
Old 02-02-2006, 07:53 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

turning radius
weak heated seats
road noise
front grille
Old 02-02-2006, 10:24 PM
RuMax96

i hate the car payment, and the woodgrain (both avoidable, in theory), other than that i'm extremely happy

Old 02-03-2006, 05:43 AM

Turning radius, placement of the oil filter (my old galant was a piece of cake to change).
Old 02-03-2006, 10:10 AM

All good answers, but am I the only person that doesn't like the 6 speed?
Old 02-04-2006, 01:35 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

My steering wheel (2005) has very uncomfortable, almost painful vibrations since it was bought. Not only do I feel every irregularity in the road, but, there also is this very fine grinding feeling particularly around 40 MPH.
Has anyone had this experience? I find this the most annoying. At times I even wear gloves. Had I realized this I would not have bought the car. I have never had anything quite like this in about 15 cars.
Old 02-04-2006, 02:52 AM

The heated seats work great in southern California!

Mwahahahahaha!
Old 02-06-2006, 08:01 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

P**s-poor headlights (non-HID)
Can't see the gauges for the steering wheel
Huge turning radius
Weak heated seats
In that order
Old 02-07-2006, 06:30 AM

Turning radius, heated seats take longer to heat up than the engine. That's about it.

iWanaMax - you want a 5th gen over the 6th gen? You're crazy. I've had both (both manuals) and the 6th gen is so much the better car. More and better features, bigger engine, better styling. Aside from turning radius, I can't think of a single thing I liked better in my old max than my new max.

-Nate
Old 02-10-2006, 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by Nate Finch
iWanaMax - you want a 5th gen over the 6th gen? You're crazy. I've had both (both manuals) and the 6th gen is so much the better car. More and better features, bigger engine, better styling. Aside from turning radius, I can't think of a single thing I liked better in my old max than my new max.
-Nate
ummm im not crazy i just love the 5th gens, isnt the engine the same in the 3.5 in the 5th and the 6th gen?
Old 10-22-2006, 10:11 PM
SmokinMaxSE

Now that I've had the max for 7 months I know what I don't like.

1) The trunk lid should lift up on it's own. It's to heavy.

2) The Speed Sensitive Volume doesn't return the EQ settings the right way when driving at low speeds.

3) The doors should lock at 5mph. My last two cars locked on their own and I forget to do this in the Max. I don't want to get car jacked.

4) The Goodyears smoke the pavement to easy.
Old 10-22-2006, 11:18 PM
mixshows

The seats are the most uncomfortable car seats ive ever sat on.
NOT MP3 compatible!

i love the car, but it seems like Nissan lost common sense on a few things.

Old 10-23-2006, 03:00 AM

It seems like a lot of the complaints in this thread were addressed in the 2007's.

We now have:

- mp3 compatible CD players
- White gauges replacing the orange (though the non-navi radio is still orange)
- Downshifting problem addressed with the CVT
- Passenger Airbag indicator moved from top of dash to between radio and heater.
- Buttons on non-navi heater controls are larger and easier to read and identify.
- Foglights have been returned to the lower part of bumper, where God intended them.
- Trip indicators remain on if you so desire, only using the space allocated to the radio's RDS display, or the CD's info display. (non-navi version)
- I detect better bass response with the Bose unit in the 2007 than I did in the 2002 (or the 2006 loaner I had for two days).
- The little storage compartment at the base of the console is larger, and the cassette deck is gone.
- The seats are more comfortable in the '07s.

The turn radius still sucks though, but it feels better to me than the 5th Gen did.

The trunk lid is still heavy, but the keyless Intelligent key system at least helps in regard to the fact that I don't have to be holding the fob to open it.

Harry
Old 10-23-2006, 10:21 AM

Where is my damn coin holder!? In my integra, I had a nice pullout space on the left side next to the steering wheel where I can hold atleast $10 worth of quarters. I've only had my max for about 6 weeks, so maybe I haven't found the magic compartment yet? I hate carrying change in my pockets and having a compartment/pocket in the car for it would be really helpful.
Old 10-23-2006, 11:27 AM
mixshows

ive been wondering about the coin holder myself. its amazing how something so small like a coin holder or even armrest placement can make such a big difference on how we enjoy our cars.

Old 10-23-2006, 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by HzMajesty
wide turns, shimmy, road noise (mostly due to bad roads not the car)
Funny you say shimmy.... I was just going to make a post about this. I have an '06 that I picked up about 2 weeks ago. The car has about 1100 miles on it and there was a terrible vibration at highway speeds. Had the car in twice for balancing in and once for rotor replacement. The balance helped, but not completely. Still a shimmy/vibration on the highway and it drove me crazy as I am in my car a lot for sales calls. I could really feel the vibration on the floor.

Finally, I got fed up and took it to NTB and had them put the tires one a "road force" machine. This is a machine that measures all sorts of things on the tire. Shape, tread levels, all sorts of stuff.

Long story short, the mgr calls me to the shop to show me my two rear tires. They are shaking and shimmying (sp?) like crazy. He said the two tires were/are defective and to take it back to Nissan. Dealer just ordered two new Eagle RS-A's for me today. I hope that solves the problem.

The guy at NTB wasnt trying to sell me anything or screwing me around. He showed me the problem and even went as far as saying " these arent just defective, I wonder how they got through inspection."

Not sure if thats the case for you, but thought I would share with others. I thought I was going crazy and they proved the case I wasnt.
Old 10-25-2006, 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by manchur
I
Dislikes:
- Buttons are too small to operate with gloves in winter.
- Car is a bit noisy: sometimes it almost feels like a door is oppened a crack. More insulation in the doors?? Better than the Altima though.
- I just hate the noisy flasher indicator. In my opinion, a luxury car should be quiet!
- Trunk lid heavy to open.
- Also hard to find button in the dark with gloves.
- Torque steer is really too pronounced. The car needs rear wheel drive.
-
Maybe I am picky, but I thought that buying a nice new car would do it. I guess not. Back to my old '64 as soon as the weather turns warm again!

In the mean time, I drive my wife's Altima. She does love the Maxima though. To each his/her own I guess!
Heated Wheel --- No need for gloves!
Noisy car --- u prob need a LEXUS not a NISSAN!
Luxury car .. quiet ..... again... who said this was a luxury car... this is a NISSAN = performance being key
Trunk Lid heavy.... are u kidding??
- Heated Wheel button -- too dark with gloves .... again, Why the need for gloves?
Torque steer --- G35 for u???

Maybe I am picky.... YOU KNOW IT!!
Old 10-25-2006, 08:32 PM

turning radius
road noise
torque steer
trying to keep auto upshifted at low speed
wandering...follows ruts in road
placement of heated seat switches
perpetually loose sun visor clips
cheap materials/ fit and finish
joystick P.O.S. dash thingie
BOSE
shift **** that has come loose

Wow....and I thought my American sucked
Old 10-26-2006, 09:02 AM

I hate the poor turn radius. The audio system has no bass. The acceleration is very poor compared to other cars in its class. The gas mileage is horrible. Besides that everything is great
Old 10-26-2006, 09:25 AM
Banned

Poor accelleration you think? Thats one of my favorite things, I think a 6 second 0-60 in a car as big as this with a V6 is commendable.
Old 10-26-2006, 09:42 AM

Just like everyone has mentioned....the turning radius is DOOODOOO!!!

Everything else is great!
Old 10-26-2006, 01:15 PM

Speaking of the display......

I hate how you can't see it in bright sunlight.
Old 10-26-2006, 06:13 PM

how 'bout that rattling from the 3rd brake light when the sub is going
Old 10-27-2006, 06:22 AM

Originally Posted by 04BlackMaxx
Poor accelleration you think? Thats one of my favorite things, I think a 6 second 0-60 in a car as big as this with a V6 is commendable.
Well in comparison to my stock '97 max, which ran a 15.1, I consider this ('07)car to be an absolute pig. I find 15.3 totally unacceptable for this car. It does weigh 3630 lbs with 3/4 tank of gas but I think the real cause of its' poor performance is the cvt trans. I drove an '06 and it definitely felt quite a bit quicker. I argued with the salesman that the '06 would kill the '07 but he felt that the smoothness of the cvt just made the speed of the '07 feel deceptively slow.
Old 10-27-2006, 07:25 AM
Banned

Well according to car and driver the 2004 went 15 seconds flat and a 1997 15.5...not much of an improvement, but the 0-60 is a full seconbd better now.
Old 10-27-2006, 09:57 PM

I know what you are gonna say, but I just wish the fit and finish was nicer for a 30k+ car...leaves a lot to be desired. On the outside you wont find anicer car in the range, but the turning radius, the chipping of paint, the rattles, the bad struts etc....cheap looking material on the inside. I just wish it could be more like the g35,...or even the new altima(not out yet) looks SOOOOOOOOO FREEEKINNN NICE!!!

Quick Reply: What do you hate most about...