6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Need some help/advice guys...

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2006, 08:24 AM

Need some help/advice guys...

I am retiring my 97 I30t, and want to get a new car. I've set a budget for myself as a maximum of 30 grand. I have narrowed my choices down to mainly two: Brand new 06 maxima or used G35 coupe. Which would you get?

I am getting a quote on a 06 max with dealer preferred package for 27,300 including the 1500 rebate. this would not include navi, and I didnt get a quote on one with navi (I will soon).

My other choice is a used 2004 G35 coupe, of which there are many to choose from. THe one I am looking at now stickers for 31,500 and has navi and the brembo brakes and spoiler, and has about 20K miles. The miles dont bother me as I dont put many on anyway. The sticker is above my budget, but i can deal it down to below that.

Considering these two options, what would any of you on here do? I know they are two very diff cars, but I've been driving sedans for all of my driving life, and want to see if I can try something different (hey, you only live once anyway, right?). Your opinions are greatly appreciated!
Old 01-12-2006, 08:40 AM
dla
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I love my max, but if you truly have no need for a sedan then go for the coupe. Good luck getting under $30K!
Old 01-12-2006, 08:46 AM
SuPeRmOd

Drive both first.

G is a lot less room and just remember you'll have RWD in those NY winters.

Now if you don't require much room and have a winter vehicle, it's all about the TEST DRIVE.
Old 01-12-2006, 11:16 AM

Yes, drive both. I went from a 350Z to a maxima b/c the no room got old.
Old 01-12-2006, 12:04 PM

If you're looking for reasons NOT to buy a Maxima, I can't give you any.

I needed a car that would fit my family of 4, be roomy enough that an adult can fit in the back without stradeling the front seats or burring their knees into the drivers back, and I wanted a car with good gas mileage. It should have enough power to get on the freeway without causing a comotion too. I also wanted a car with enough features today so that in 4-8 years it would still be the car that I would buy. Many sedans fit those needs so I looked at several, test drove a few, and decided that the Maxima was the right car for me. I fits perfectly for my needs, has many of my wants, and even threw in a few bells and whistles that I didn't expect.

The reason I bought the Max was because I had a Mustang GT Convertable. It was a nice car, but my life's priorities changed with my family. And the Mustang wasn't fitting in any more. It was a great car for me or my wife, but when we tried to go out as a family, it wasn't as fun. Back seat was too small, the trunk was small, and the doors had to be swung open so wide that it was hard to get out of in typical parking lots. My lesson was that even if the car fitted me then, I should have thought more about my future.
Old 01-12-2006, 02:29 PM

Well for me i chose the max because I like roomy car. also in VA the winters here get harsh some times so RWd isn't a good choice. YOu should try looking at the AWD sedan g35. They seem pretty nice. I don't know about the room though. hope i helped. good luck
Old 01-12-2006, 05:28 PM
http://www.cardomain.com/my/ed

The g35x is a good choice for a sedan if you can find it in your price range. I love my max though. The g35 coupe is smallish. I guess it depends on your needs. If you have a winter vehicle and no kids to tote around. I test drove the g35x and it handled and accelerated great and you can get around in snowy weather. I wouldn't try that if it gets deep. You could also try out the Z a used one is normally reasonable. I just like the sporty feel of the max with the quad exhaust. You do have a mini-dilema on your hands.
Old 01-12-2006, 06:39 PM

i wouldn't pay 27300 with just the driver preferred package unless that was including tax/title/license/fees - that price is just around VPP price - you can get it a little lower unless that included everything
Old 01-12-2006, 06:51 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Stick with the Maxima. Cant go wrong.
Old 01-12-2006, 06:59 PM

If you have 1 or fewer friends, get the G35 coupe.
If you have 2 or more friends, get the Max, your friends will appreciate not having to fold themselves into little packages to get into your car.

To me, the G35 coupe is like a second car, you have a sedan/SUV for your regular driving around town, hauling friends, family, coworkers, groceries and your coupe is for the weekends- when you and your lady are cruising through the twisty mountain highways to your weekend getaway. Ahhhh, one can dream, right? And if you knock her up on your weekend away, you will then need the Max to fit the babyseat, stroller, diapers and formula. Good luck in your quest.
Old 01-12-2006, 07:51 PM

thanks for the replies guys, they really made me realize a lot of things I didnt realize prior to my original post. The reason I considered the coupe is because several of my friends are telling me to get that, but then I realized that I've driven my I30 for the past 6 years now, and today, 6 years later, I didnt need to worry about kids. But six years from now puts me at 31, and made me realize whether I would need to worry about that? (yes, i keep my car for a longer term than most).

All-in-all, i want to get the most bang-for-the-buck like most people out there. I want a car that looks impressive. I am worried about nissan service issues, and am considering to just spend less and have the maxima serviced at Firestone or something (if i go with the max).

I drove a used 2004 G35 coupe with navi today, they were asking 31,500.

The best price on the brand new max so far is 27,300 NOT including T/T/L. I am purchasing the car in the VA/MD area (since that is where I am now) and registering it in Florida (since my family recently moved there). 27300 is for the Driver Preferred Package, splash guards and floor mats. Is that still too much? What is a decent price to ask for to avoid the haggling thing? Thanks again for the advice.
Old 01-12-2006, 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by OmarBadu
i wouldn't pay 27300 with just the driver preferred package unless that was including tax/title/license/fees - that price is just around VPP price - you can get it a little lower unless that included everything

that sounds like a great price to me, for a 06 im assuming? i bought my max at a good deal in may of 05 for 29500 out the door so after taxes he should be about a 1000 less than that. well then again i had the sunroof too. But at this time of year thats a good price. but if they are giving a 1500 rebate now, i would wait a lil longer because the 07's should be out real soon and the way they are pricing sounds like it. Forget fall release im expecting late summer. Good luck.
Old 01-12-2006, 10:07 PM

i paid 27500 after TTL in raleigh, nc (although was offered the same deal in dallas, tx) - they were running a 1250 rebate

i have the driver preferred package/sunroof/floor mats/splash gaurds - silver

i work for ibm so they have to give me VPP if i want it which is 2.66% below invoice - i found out exactly what that price was at one dealership and went to the next town over and told them i wanted a little lower than that - they of course told me no and it's too low - so i left and gave them my # to call me when the price/car is ready - then they called as i was driving out of the dealership - went back in - haggled with me more so i left again - they called a week later and had the paperwork ready
Old 01-13-2006, 05:48 PM

27,300 seems pretty darn cheap for an 06 with dpp brand new.....isnt the invoice about 29k?
Old 01-13-2006, 06:04 PM
SuPeRmOd

Originally Posted by willysmooo
27,300 seems pretty darn cheap for an 06 with dpp brand new.....isnt the invoice about 29k?
more like 32000.

I paid invoice @ 29k for my 04.
Old 01-13-2006, 07:08 PM

28,600 for my 04' SL
Old 01-13-2006, 08:10 PM
Nations 1st 6th Gen Turbo

Always good to ask a Max forum to choose between a new 2006 Max or a used G35. I wonder what the majority would say???

I sure hope you didn't post this in a G35 forum, you'll be up all night with recommendations...
Old 01-13-2006, 08:41 PM

hopefully u only asked this question here (maxima.org) ....
why i love my max:

1: it looks good (understatement)
2: it drives well (same as above)
3: its unique (at least it used to, but still more than a g35)
4: g35 prob has more resale value .. but why? for the name, or can it hold more golf clubs?
5: its not a camry/accord! or even a lexus/tl (new latter is really cool tho..!!)
6: it started the revolution in modern sedans looking like boats!! (need the space .. we are getting bigger!)
7: it does not have its seat controls on the right hand side (driver) of the seat!!! (did they import the design from australia??)
8: it can be modded (this site is testament , else contact Deus/chernmax)
9: young and old, .. both enjoy it.. (not sure if this is good... but it is)
10: its name is MAX! (ran out of ideas here.. but u get the picture
Old 01-14-2006, 08:58 AM

Well thanks again for the posts, here is an update:

The 27,300 price quote was BEFORE TTL, but included teh 1500 rebate. THe same dealer offered 29,000 for a black/black WITH navi, sunroof and driver preferred package, again, including the rebate but before TTL. Shall I ask for 29,000 INCLUDING the tax, or is that pushing it? I am registering my car in FL, so the tax is 7%, so nearly 2 grand.

I asked about G35s on here because I know that a lot of people on here dont only drive a Maxima. I tried to look for a G35 board, but didnt find one specific one liek we have here for maximas. I've been on here for a while, and have always seen others ask about other vehicles...I asked to see what people had to complain about and what people felt strongly for about their vehicles...which of course, is going to help me make a decision. Not everyone on here is happy with their vehicle...there are a few that are quite upset, and I would like to know about that.

Anyway, I test drove a 2006 that had only 10 miles on it last night, and it had a noticeable shimmy at around 55 through 65 mph. I asked the dealer if they heard about a lot of problems with shimmy's, and of course, they said no. Any further input? Thanks again
Old 01-14-2006, 06:31 PM

i was offered the same price in TX and NC that i mentioned - tx = 3% and nc = 6%
Old 01-14-2006, 07:39 PM

I got my MAX at a Used Car dealer.. an 05, with 15K on it at $25,000 includind TT&L, and i put $1500 down. My payments are about 410, and I pay a little over that each month. 6%apr.. I got a carfax with the car, with garentee buyback if it there was any probs with it.. had it checked out, and it was in tip top shape. You can always try Used Dealers. I really hate used car dealerships, but they had a great deal, and they paid 18K for my 03 Hemi Ram, with massive aftermarket stuff on the truck, with 22"s. Well worth over 20K, it was a steal. they paid off my truck, which i owed under 18K on it. No stealership would give me what i wanted since it had aftermarket stuff on it, they wanted 9K-12K for it.. If i took all my stuff off they would give me 7-9K. which is BS... they never use the KBB anymore. they use what they call the BLACK BOOK, which is an auction book. they will buy what you have at AUCTION PRICES.. I think there should be a law against that.
the KBB states what your vehicle should be worth as long as it is the condition explained. the dealers make anywhere between 3-7000 off each deal.

Best time to buy a car as at end of month, end of quarter.. last day if possible.. they are more willing to make a deal. Haggle the crap out of them, say you are going to a different dealership, then most of the time they will call you back, haggle more or take what they offer. this is my 7th vehicle, and i have gotten really used to haggling the crap out of them.
Old 01-16-2006, 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by Stillen_I30
Well thanks again for the posts, here is an update:

The 27,300 price quote was BEFORE TTL, but included teh 1500 rebate. THe same dealer offered 29,000 for a black/black WITH navi, sunroof and driver preferred package, again, including the rebate but before TTL. Shall I ask for 29,000 INCLUDING the tax, or is that pushing it? I am registering my car in FL, so the tax is 7%, so nearly 2 grand.

I asked about G35s on here because I know that a lot of people on here dont only drive a Maxima. I tried to look for a G35 board, but didnt find one specific one liek we have here for maximas. I've been on here for a while, and have always seen others ask about other vehicles...I asked to see what people had to complain about and what people felt strongly for about their vehicles...which of course, is going to help me make a decision. Not everyone on here is happy with their vehicle...there are a few that are quite upset, and I would like to know about that.

Anyway, I test drove a 2006 that had only 10 miles on it last night, and it had a noticeable shimmy at around 55 through 65 mph. I asked the dealer if they heard about a lot of problems with shimmy's, and of course, they said no. Any further input? Thanks again

Shimmy on a 06 WOW! i thought that was taken care of in the 05 models. Well i guess its the same half half prob.
Old 01-16-2006, 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by MAXIMA-GHOST
I got my MAX at a Used Car dealer.. an 05, with 15K on it at $25,000 includind TT&L, and i put $1500 down. My payments are about 410, and I pay a little over that each month. 6%apr.. I got a carfax with the car, with garentee buyback if it there was any probs with it.. had it checked out, and it was in tip top shape. You can always try Used Dealers. I really hate used car dealerships, but they had a great deal, and they paid 18K for my 03 Hemi Ram, with massive aftermarket stuff on the truck, with 22"s. Well worth over 20K, it was a steal. they paid off my truck, which i owed under 18K on it. No stealership would give me what i wanted since it had aftermarket stuff on it, they wanted 9K-12K for it.. If i took all my stuff off they would give me 7-9K. which is BS... they never use the KBB anymore. they use what they call the BLACK BOOK, which is an auction book. they will buy what you have at AUCTION PRICES.. I think there should be a law against that.
the KBB states what your vehicle should be worth as long as it is the condition explained. the dealers make anywhere between 3-7000 off each deal.

Best time to buy a car as at end of month, end of quarter.. last day if possible.. they are more willing to make a deal. Haggle the crap out of them, say you are going to a different dealership, then most of the time they will call you back, haggle more or take what they offer. this is my 7th vehicle, and i have gotten really used to haggling the crap out of them.

Used car stealerships have been using the black book on buy backs or trade in for years. Lawss hahaha good luck arguing in court with that. My family has been in the Used car business for years. Im sorry dude, all i can say is its ok to walk because someone will give you the price your looking for.
Old 01-22-2006, 05:29 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by OmarBadu
i paid 27500 after TTL in raleigh, nc (although was offered the same deal in dallas, tx) - they were running a 1250 rebate

i have the driver preferred package/sunroof/floor mats/splash gaurds - silver

i work for ibm so they have to give me VPP if i want it which is 2.66% below invoice - i found out exactly what that price was at one dealership and went to the next town over and told them i wanted a little lower than that - they of course told me no and it's too low - so i left and gave them my # to call me when the price/car is ready - then they called as i was driving out of the dealership - went back in - haggled with me more so i left again - they called a week later and had the paperwork ready
I paid 28000 in Frederick, MD which included a 1500 rebate.

I also have the dpp/sunroof/floor mats and splash guards but mine also listed an Environmental Package costing 900. Does anyone know what the Environmental Package is? It said something about glazing. Hope I wasn't ripped off and all they did was clean the car for 900 bucks!
Old 01-24-2006, 02:44 PM

Well I am not getting the car anymore, just found out I am moving to NYC and will not require the car...so I'm just gonna sell my I30t for now and wait until I get out of the city to get something. Thanks for all the help and advice.

For anyone who is interested in a new max, the best offer i ever received was 29,000 before taxes, and after the 1,500 rebate for a black/black 06 brand new with Driver preferred package, sunroof, navigation, splash guards and floor mats.
Old 01-25-2006, 07:14 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by MAXIMA-GHOST
If i took all my stuff off they would give me 7-9K. which is BS... they never use the KBB anymore. they use what they call the BLACK BOOK, which is an auction book. they will buy what you have at AUCTION PRICES.. I think there should be a law against that.

Why on earth should a dealer pay significantly more for your trade than what they are going for at auction? Because a book says so? Last time I checked Kelly black book weren't writing checks for cars. Can you tell I work at a dealership.