6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

In a debate...dont know what to do?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2006, 03:16 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Actually my max is more than the truck in insurance. The airbags make the price higher. At any rate I got dibs on that grill if you sell it! LOL Stick with it bro, you'll kick yourself in the **** if you don't.
Old 01-17-2006, 04:18 PM
Nations 1st 6th Gen Turbo

Originally Posted by SmokeMaximus
Actually my max is more than the truck in insurance. The airbags make the price higher. At any rate I got dibs on that grill if you sell it! LOL Stick with it bro, you'll kick yourself in the **** if you don't.
Depends on what type of SUV, and crash test rating. I don't see how a 50G Armada will come in lower than a 30G Max. (Strictly my opinion)

As far as dibs, WAIT, check reply #34 above...
Old 01-17-2006, 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by chernmax
Depends on what type of SUV, and crash test rating. I don't see how a 50G Armada will come in lower than a 30G Max. (Strictly my opinion)

As far as dibs, WAIT, check reply #34 above...
DOH! You got me on the grill, but trust me on the insurance, been there done that. The armada is not 50g either.
Old 01-17-2006, 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by BLAXIMA2K4
Well I went to the stealership yesterday for a little browse. Ive been really interested purchasing a Titan. Taking Im trading my Max in for it. I went there looking for a fully loaded crew cab Titan and somehow got convinced into a fully loaded Armada for about $50k. Theyre willing to pay off my Max with a few grand down if I go for the Armada. Total for the Armada will be about $54k. They say Ill be losing money if I go for a cheaper Titan since Ill still owe about $10k on the Max. With the Armada for $50k they said I wont have to worry about that $10k. Ive got a wife and 2 kids now. I figured the roomy interior of a Titan is enough. Do you guys think this is a stupid move? Or is the 7 seater "moving apartment" Armada overdoing it? What do you guys think?
That's a raw deal. I just purchased a used 05 max two days ago. The dealer had it listed for $23,000. It had a little over 18,000 miles on it. I traded in an 01 Sentra SE that I still owed about 4500 on it. I checked KBB and it said my car was worth about $5600 in EXCELLENT condition. My car was nowhere near excellent condition. I had over 87,000 miles on it, the driver's side window didn't work, it had been in an accident but was repaired, the tires were worn out, not to mention countless scratches, door dings, etc. They paid off my car and gave me another $1500 on my trade. They then took $3000 off the price of the car. I didn't put down a single dime. I said all that to say this, NEGOTIATE. If you only owe $10,000 on your car, you should get at least another $5k-$7k on top of that. I'm not sure how many miles you have on it but it looks to be in excellent condition. Plus, if you financed your Max through NMAC and you're in good standing, you're probably pre-qualified for any vehicle on the lot without a credit check. Like other's have said, they would much rather have your max sitting on the lot than a gass guzzler. I can guarantee if you traded it your max wouldn't be there long. Be patient, check other dealers, you'll get what you want.

Oh, and go for the titan. More flexibility than the Armada. I also own a Dodge Ram Quad Cab and there's plenty of room for 5 adults and the Titan's cab is bigger, you will be fine.
Old 01-17-2006, 06:35 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Friend,

That is way high for an Armada. Around here dealers are selling big SUV's for 10 - 16 K off sticker.

I would call a few other dealers before buying. I would think that you could negotiate 10K off an Armada sticker EASILY (I was at a Nissan dealer in KY 2 weeks ago and he offered more than this off the bat)....then sell you Max yourself for $15,000. This is even more true if you can find a 2005, of which there are plenty around.

Armada = Price High $30's before tax.
Maxima = +5,000.00 to you after payoff of $10,000.

Way better than $54,000
Old 01-17-2006, 07:06 PM

A dealer telling you they'll pay 10k for your max without passing the cost along to you doesn't seem to add up...

check edmunds.com and price the armada with all the options you want. take 3% off the invoice price and you'll be close to what the dealer is paying. They also lost any dealer and cosumer incentives currently going on.

If all works out, make the deal for the armada, get them to agree on what they will give you for the max, then tell them what YOUR willing to pay for the armada. Maybe you could come out ahead if they need to boost sales.

good luck...

PS...I haven't always been able to afford Nissan, but the ones I had always possessed a quality above the competition...usually in sportiness...(280z, 200sx, 05 Maxima!!!)
Old 01-18-2006, 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by chernmax
Everyone is missing the true core of the discussion. Are you going to sell your newly installed ActiveTuning Grill????
I want the grill......

When it comes to the TITAN and ARMADA.....GAS GUZZLERS!! If you need a bigger SUV, Check on the 4 runner...fits the family and can be bought with a 270hp V-6 or go with the Pathfinder with the VQ40. 50k for an Armada buy a QX 56. Just nicer!!
my.o2
but i still want the grill if you decide to do it.
Jon
Old 01-18-2006, 09:46 AM

ok im not sure what you mean by you owe 10K or you will owe 10K after trade in? What are they giving you for your max? and what do you owe on your max? Now i everyone here knows where you stand. So your buying the overpriced truck for 50K, ok that sucks. Also how many miles do you have on ur max?
Old 01-18-2006, 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by maximob
A dealer telling you they'll pay 10k for your max without passing the cost along to you doesn't seem to add up...

check edmunds.com and price the armada with all the options you want. take 3% off the invoice price and you'll be close to what the dealer is paying.
Hey just curious about that 3%. Is that estimate pretty much standard for all car manufacturers or just Nissans?
Old 01-18-2006, 04:22 PM
guille

hey guys what sup with this turbo for maxima??? check it up http://www.turbo-kits.com/altima_turbo_kits.html it is the same for altima than maxima ????

Old 01-19-2006, 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by bigmixx
That's a raw deal. I just purchased a used 05 max two days ago. The dealer had it listed for $23,000. It had a little over 18,000 miles on it. I traded in an 01 Sentra SE that I still owed about 4500 on it. I checked KBB and it said my car was worth about $5600 in EXCELLENT condition. My car was nowhere near excellent condition. I had over 87,000 miles on it, the driver's side window didn't work, it had been in an accident but was repaired, the tires were worn out, not to mention countless scratches, door dings, etc. They paid off my car and gave me another $1500 on my trade. They then took $3000 off the price of the car. I didn't put down a single dime. I said all that to say this, NEGOTIATE. If you only owe $10,000 on your car, you should get at least another $5k-$7k on top of that. I'm not sure how many miles you have on it but it looks to be in excellent condition. Plus, if you financed your Max through NMAC and you're in good standing, you're probably pre-qualified for any vehicle on the lot without a credit check. Like other's have said, they would much rather have your max sitting on the lot than a gass guzzler. I can guarantee if you traded it your max wouldn't be there long. Be patient, check other dealers, you'll get what you want.

Oh, and go for the titan. More flexibility than the Armada. I also own a Dodge Ram Quad Cab and there's plenty of room for 5 adults and the Titan's cab is bigger, you will be fine.
I'll agree with everything said here, except that neither the Titan nor the Armada should be considered. If you thought the Maxima's brakes were a can of worms, both the Titan and Armada are barrels of worms. You know it's bad when there's a website dedicated to the problem. http://www.nissanarmadabrakeproblems.com My neighbor has a Titan and is on his third set of brakes/rotors in less then 20K miles. He says he "thinks they've finally nailed the problem." Go read a few forums, and see how owners are guaranteeing you will have problems. They basically took the Maxima's brakes (yup, the same 12.6" rotors), and figured they'd use it on a vehicle with TWICE the weight. As if the mileage wasn't bad enough... For $50K, you could do a LOT better and not get your a$$ reamed in the process.... If third row seating is your main criteria, get a minivan. At least then you wouldn't be putting your family and someone else's family at risk with brakes that don't work and road-handling manners practically designed to flip over. My sis-in-law's Honda Odyssey has 244hp and still gets close to 30mpg with cylinder deactivation. Another cool thing was the active noise cancellation that's built into the sound system. Oh, and it has 24 cup-holders! Seriously though, if I ever bought a minivan.... nah, I better not finish that sentence.
Old 01-19-2006, 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by guille
hey guys what sup with this turbo for maxima??? check it up http://www.turbo-kits.com/altima_turbo_kits.html it is the same for altima than maxima ????
Old 01-19-2006, 11:22 AM

I wouldn't do it. Sounds like a raw deal, plus, there is plenty of room in the Max for two kids. You've got the other SUV, what more do you need?

I've hauled 4 kids, in various different sizes, in lots of different vehicles and aside from the Quest I had, this Max is by far the most comfortable. I have 2 girls still at home and it's plenty comfortable for them.

If you really want the Armada, sell the max first on your own. You'll get much more $ for it. When I was looking to buy my max, I had a an '02 Xterra and the dealership would only give me $14.5 for it when I owed over $17,000. I sold the Xterra for exactly my payoff and was then able to buy my max for at a great price.
Old 01-19-2006, 01:26 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by Maxium
We all do what we have to... Though $54K is an a$$ load of money to drop on a Armada. --Maybe I missed it but how does one lose money if you choose a cheaper Titan? Is it because the dealer gets you to spend more money on an Armada, which provides more leverage to pay off your Max? Which means you've in turn have really spent more, but 10K more? Common sense says they are moving numbers around. Interested what that would look like on paper, by that see what they are willing to pay for the Max, then use that number to get in the cheaper Titan... If it only worked that way in real life... Good luck!

OK, there are several things going on here. 1st, what makes the Armada the price that you have? Does it have aftermarket stuff on it?? The financing company will only finance you for up to 110% of the car's value. This value is whatever it is worth after you factor in payoff and trade in plus goodies that are on it. So, with aftermarket they are able to mark up cars and get you financed. An Armada may have more goodies that can load it down unlike the Titan. I would look at this a couple of times b4 you did it. Take your car's worth-Armada + Payoff= price of car. 1500 for taxes divided by 60 gives you the base payment. You have to then add your finance charges which vary with int rate and credit.... Watch out for the stealership. They have big teeth, better to eat you with...
Old 01-19-2006, 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by belal242
ok im not sure what you mean by you owe 10K or you will owe 10K after trade in? What are they giving you for your max? and what do you owe on your max? Now i everyone here knows where you stand. So your buying the overpriced truck for 50K, ok that sucks. Also how many miles do you have on ur max?
My area has Armadas priced from $42-$48,000 and that is before they start giving those huge rebates b/c they can't sell the damn things. When I got my Pathfinder they wanted to put me in an Armada for roughly the same price, I passed on it b/c of the problems with them.
Old 01-20-2006, 08:18 AM

just do what i did and get both of the cars that you want.........im just kidding but i would probly get that Armada, cause its so damn big lol i like the titan 2 but the armada more
Old 01-20-2006, 11:54 AM

Just to clear it up...the reason why the Armada was $50k was because it was an 06 Fully loaded, I mean to the T with everything. If I get an Armada or a Titan, its going to be an LE fully loaded.
Old 01-20-2006, 12:04 PM

According to Edmunds, people are getting 06 Armadas fully loaded for $46,597 (on average). You are right though MSRP on a fully loaded Armada is about $50,175.
Old 01-20-2006, 01:26 PM

According to today's news, with crude oil up to $68 they are calling for gas prices to be at an national average of @ $2.75 by May 06. This should be your deciding factor- $77 to fill up is killer.

Thank god my wife drives our Pathfinder only 12 miles, round trip, to go to work.
Old 01-21-2006, 09:30 PM

Blaxima2k4, check your inbox.
Old 01-23-2006, 07:20 PM
Banned

Towing I can understand...the max cant do it...but if your reason is family, and you have a family of four..the max fits the bill with its 4 seats....unless you have severely obease children? For $50,000 you have so many choices, I'd get a BMW M3 and cram 'em in the back, heh heh...My .02