6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

How To Reset Ecu

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2006, 09:40 PM

How To Reset Ecu

If Anyone Knows How To Reset The Ecu. Plz Let Me Know.

Thx

Tom

Old 01-25-2006, 10:02 PM

Your link is missing a few important letters!

Here's the real link:
http://maxima.theowensfamily.com/ecu.asp
Old 01-25-2006, 10:07 PM
dot dot dot ...

It's in the FSM, I have it at work... I can find it tomorrow if that (A33B)method doesn't work.
Old 01-25-2006, 10:08 PM

Originally Posted by 9Nails
Your link is missing a few important letters!

Here's the real link:
http://maxima.theowensfamily.com/ecu.asp
Thanks, those will probably help.
Old 01-25-2006, 10:10 PM

Originally Posted by NmexMAX
It's in the FSM, I have it at work... I can find it tomorrow if that (A33B)method doesn't work.

YEAH... I WAS THINKING ABOUT BUYING FSM BUT DON'T HAVE MONEY FOR IT AT THE SAME TIME.
Old 01-25-2006, 10:11 PM
dot dot dot ...

The A33B technique seems like a sick joke at first, but after a few times (like 5) you'll get used to it.
Old 01-25-2006, 10:13 PM

The A33B technique seems like a sick joke at first, but after a few times (like 5) you'll get used to it.
I have done it in my 04 so I know it works. Yeah its kinda weird but timing is key.
Old 01-25-2006, 11:22 PM

Originally Posted by Glude
I have done it in my 04 so I know it works. Yeah its kinda weird but timing is key.

THX GLUDE.
Old 01-26-2006, 01:51 AM

just curious, what purpose would resetting the ecu satisfy?

thanks,
neir
Old 01-26-2006, 08:04 AM
dot dot dot ...

Good stress reliever
Old 01-26-2006, 08:21 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

All i had to do on my Dodge Ram 1500 HEMI, was to disconnect the Neg. Terminal on my battery for a bit.. And you can spped the process, by turning your ignition key while its un-hooked. This will help drain it..

From what i understand, that when you reset the ECU you erase you drive habits that the car learns. This helps optimize max performance, or so they say. When i reset the one on my Ram, it increased my HP and MPG, and worked well with after market parts. The computers are designed to reset back to Stock Performance, even after you add aftermarket parts on it. Thats the reason to buy a TUNER, or Chip to keep what you set it to. This worked for my Ram, and i had to do it 2-3 times a month to get it to work correctly.. It does work. As for the Maxima, i think i read somewhere on here that it basically does the same thing.. It's a Learning/Smart Chip in your ECU that needs to be reset/drained..etc..

Hope you understnd my meaning.. guys??

LAter,,,
Old 01-26-2006, 09:15 AM
Stang-seeking Max Missile

Originally Posted by MAXIMA-GHOST
All i had to do on my Dodge Ram 1500 HEMI, was to disconnect the Neg. Terminal on my battery for a bit.. And you can spped the process, by turning your ignition key while its un-hooked. This will help drain it..

From what i understand, that when you reset the ECU you erase you drive habits that the car learns. This helps optimize max performance, or so they say. When i reset the one on my Ram, it increased my HP and MPG, and worked well with after market parts. The computers are designed to reset back to Stock Performance, even after you add aftermarket parts on it. Thats the reason to buy a TUNER, or Chip to keep what you set it to. This worked for my Ram, and i had to do it 2-3 times a month to get it to work correctly.. It does work. As for the Maxima, i think i read somewhere on here that it basically does the same thing.. It's a Learning/Smart Chip in your ECU that needs to be reset/drained..etc..

Hope you understnd my meaning.. guys??

LAter,,,
Thanks for the tip- I know I'm gonna give it a shot. I seemed to have lost some power over the past few days. I'm wondering if my computer has made an adjustment. Earlier this month, I got a Nismo CAI. Response, power and sound were great until this week. Maybe resetting it will get that power back- worth a try.
Old 01-26-2006, 09:43 AM

Guys, what will resetting the ECU do for my car? What reason would someone want to reset the ECU for? I am curious

Will performing the ECU resetting procedure harm my car in anyway??
Old 01-26-2006, 09:50 AM
SuPeRmOd

Originally Posted by Killah Kane
Guys, what will resetting the ECU do for my car? What reason would someone want to reset the ECU for? I am curious

Will performing the ECU resetting procedure harm my car in anyway??
i swear the posts right above yours could maybe possibly assist you in developing a conclusion for your inquiry
Old 01-27-2006, 06:19 AM

off topic... but does anyone know how to get the 'service engine soon' light off without having to go to the dealer?

Thanks in advance!
Old 01-27-2006, 06:24 AM
Nations 1st 6th Gen Turbo

Originally Posted by Killah Kane
Reading is your friend...
Old 01-27-2006, 06:24 AM
SuPeRmOd

Originally Posted by Swerv
off topic... but does anyone know how to get the 'service engine soon' light off without having to go to the dealer?

Thanks in advance!
that is exactly this topic.

You should also read the STICKY "Problems with 6th gen..." along with the other ones.
Old 01-27-2006, 06:26 AM
Nations 1st 6th Gen Turbo

Originally Posted by Swerv

Thanks in advance!
If everything seems normal then make sure your gas cap is on tight, drive for a while, should go out. No thread jacking in the future...
Old 01-27-2006, 06:30 AM

Originally Posted by chernmax
If everything seems normal then make sure your gas cap is on tight, drive for a while, should go out. No thread jacking in the future...
Thanks, sorry about that.
Old 12-27-2006, 02:37 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

guys, flashing our ECU's is possible just by the pedal/timing method? we dont need an Apexi etc etc..right? cause when i installed a new K&N filter...even such a small mod, throttle response felt crazy...but only for like 2 days. so im hopin that method works.. are those the directions uptop? thanks.
Old 12-27-2006, 07:47 AM
dot dot dot ...

I wouldn't call that method a 'flash' or a substistute for a piggyback by any means. It does just what it's called, 'resetting' the ECU.

Originally Posted by bmorekaotic19
flashing our ECU's is possible just by the pedal/timing method?
Old 12-31-2006, 08:13 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

my SES light came on again, for the umpteenth time, while under warranty, dealer dealt with it, now out of warranty and on again, tried the "A33B" multiple times, never even gets the SES light to flash...some secret I am missing??? Takes something special to see the error codes? I had a mechanic with some type of analyzer that checked it and then cleared it for me twice. Something available to public. I do own the FSM, but, cannot find a reference to resetting the ecu anywhere...
Old 01-01-2007, 06:51 PM
dot dot dot ...

Originally Posted by Memphoman
some secret I am missing???
When you perform it, is your coolant temp greater than 160*F? And, are you performing the IAVL procedure prior as well?

Originally Posted by Memphoman
I do own the FSM, but, cannot find a reference to resetting the ecu anywhere...
EC 65 -66
Old 01-02-2007, 11:31 AM

hmmm interesting, so if my car blows up after doing the described process, i know who to blame.....if im still alive.......
Old 01-02-2007, 11:38 AM
dot dot dot ...

The day your car blows up as a result of that procedure is the day I will sign over all my retirement, life savings and all my personal possessions to you.
Old 01-02-2007, 02:23 PM

MY bad, tried it on a stone cold car, will attempt with a warmed up car ASAP, IAVL translation pls...
Old 01-03-2007, 04:47 PM
dot dot dot ...

ttp://forums.maxima.org/showpost.php?p=2411638&postcount=103
Old 05-13-2007, 11:21 AM
SmokinMaxSE

I'm thinking since we have "fuel injection" wouldn't pressing the gas pedal that many times "flood" injectors?????????

Does the method really work?
Old 05-14-2007, 06:25 AM
dot dot dot ...

Originally Posted by SmokinMaxSE

Of course it works, people on here have been doing it for years.
Old 05-14-2007, 08:09 AM
I Donate! Why Don't You?

Just checked the link and it seems pretty easy.

but

I always thought that disconnecting the battery for over 10 minutes resets the ECU. I am lost.
Old 05-14-2007, 09:27 AM
dot dot dot ...

It does, but this is the official/formal/non ghetto way. Also, the IAVL/throttle position reset is also related to this procedure.
Old 04-04-2008, 08:33 PM

Not to beat a dead horse but I've done the "idle air volume learning" procedure for my vehicle about 87459087435480 times now with a stop watch. I've also tried the 987590438 variations of the "idle air volume learning" procedures provided on other nissan related sites. Sometimes the SES light is gone after ignition and sometimes it's not. One thing that it does have in continuous fashion is a severly rough idle and the SES light comes on while driving. It will blink really fast on and off and then stay on after awhile. I just had my spacers installed and I'm wondering if I can just pull my neg cable and let the car sit over night and see if that will work. Maybe I just don't have the timing right for the procedure. Any help will be appreciated. Kevin
Old 04-05-2008, 10:10 AM
dot dot dot ...

Get the code read, report it, and we will help you after we get the code.
Old 04-05-2008, 05:00 PM

P0300 - Hard
P0223 - hard and soft
P0123 - hard and soft
p0113 - soft

They all seems related to not doing the learning process correctly. I called the stealership and they said they would do an alignment (ecf programming) for 108 bucks. Thought it was a fair price to get my car back on the rode. It's been suspected that my tech touched the throttle body plate. I was told that throws the whole system out of whack and would definitely require an alignment. Nissan confirmed the suspected mistake. If any of you pro's were a beginner enthusiast like me, would you resort to letting the dealership do this to ease the stress?

Any advice on this will be great.

Thanks Again
Kevin

PS As of next week I'll be setting up my annual contribution and will no longer be hijacking and, in some cases, killing threads.

Get the code read, report it, and we will help you after we get the code.
Old 05-11-2010, 11:07 AM

ECU Resetting Procedures

Timing is extremely critical. If it is NOT DONE within the specify time, the ECU will not reset and the Check Engine Light (CEL) will continue to remain ON.
A stop watch or an analog clock with a seconds needle will be useful.

Operations Procedures

1. Confirm that accelerator pedal is fully released, turn ignition switch ON and wait 3 seconds.
2. Repeat the following steps (2a and 2b) procedures quickly five times within 5 seconds.
2a. Fully depress the accelerator pedal (HARD).
2b. Fully release the accelerator pedal.
3. Wait 7 seconds, fully depress the accelerator pedal and keep it for approx. 10 seconds until the CEL starts blinking.
4. Fully release the accelerator pedal (while the CEL is still blinking)
5. Wait about 10 second.
6. Fully depress the accelerator pedal and keep it for more than 10 seconds.
7. Fully release the accelerator pedal (The CEL light will continue to blink).
8. Turn ignition switch to OFF position and now you can start the car. The CEL light should be gone.

If the CEL light continues to remain ON, repeat the above steps. Timing is EXTREMELY critical to resetting the ECU.
Old 05-11-2010, 11:09 AM

If you pulled the neg cable off don't forger ro reset the moon roof if you have one..

press DOWN on the moonroof switch for two seconds to reset the sunroof switch, while the sunroof is fully closed.
Old 05-15-2010, 02:26 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Heres another link: http://vbxmaxima.8m.com/ecu.html
Old 06-22-2010, 01:07 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

This method does not seem to be working for my 2001 maxima GLE.

I tried resetting the ecu like a million times with a stop watch and everything what do I do?

Plus when i checked under the dash for the ecu - (next to the gas pedal), to do the screw driver trick, there was no screw its all flat on the side of the ecu. Is this normal? on the passenger side i took the panel off and there is a strip that i was able to take off and tried to start the car but it wouldnt and i could not see the ses sign in the dash itself. So i reconnected it and the car started but the light is still on.

Should i try the battery trick?
Old 06-22-2010, 06:23 AM
dot dot dot ...

Originally Posted by mpenney
that wont work on a 6th gen, nor 5th gen, only a 4th gen, cripes.

Originally Posted by BosMaximaJ
This method does not seem to be working for my 2001 maxima GLE.

I tried resetting the ecu like a million times with a stop watch and everything what do I do?

Plus when i checked under the dash for the ecu - (next to the gas pedal), to do the screw driver trick, there was no screw its all flat on the side of the ecu. Is this normal? on the passenger side i took the panel off and there is a strip that i was able to take off and tried to start the car but it wouldnt and i could not see the ses sign in the dash itself. So i reconnected it and the car started but the light is still on.

Should i try the battery trick?
Are you aware you have a 5.0th gen, and this is the 6th gen forum, and the method mentioned very early on in this thread is for a 5.5 gen or 6th gen, and you have neither?
Old 07-01-2010, 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by SmokinMaxSE
I'm thinking since we have "fuel injection" wouldn't pressing the gas pedal that many times "flood" injectors?????????

Yes, the method works flawlessly. It may take a few times because the timing in the process is so crucial. As for the injectors, this will have no bearing on the vehicle since it is not "ON". It can't be compared to what could happen with a carbeurator for example.

Quick Reply: How To Reset Ecu