6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

6th gen mods, maintance and warranty?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2006, 03:35 PM

6th gen mods, maintance and warranty?

HI everyone, I just bought a 2005 SE 6speed max and I'm damn proud to join this fine forum. I test drove new coupe 6mt accord, tsx, and my maxima and was sold the first time i hit the clutch and chirped 3rd on the max. Got it for 23k on the road with 11400 miles on it. So it guess it was a pretty good deal. Its in spotless mint condition, beige/tan in color, leather with sunroof. Ummmm sexy, anyway!

I'm planning on starting to mod this thing. I've already dropped my system in it from my old car and WOW! I kept stock bose HU and speakers and just added a 12" audiobahn woofer with pioneer amp to spice it up a bit and its more than enough!
I'm also installing a 55 dry zex kit thats laying in my closet ready to go, as soon as its gonna get warmer here in MD. Needless to say colder zex spark plugs are going in it too and i'm planning on getting an injen/aem intake. (havent decided which one yet). THen I want to lower it on cattman springs and put a set of deep dish 19's on it. Then my project would be complete!

So my question is, how is LEN STOLLER nissan dealership would react to my mods. Does intake void warranty? I know nitrous would and I would have to remove the damn thing everytime i take it for warranty work. (hopefull wouldnt be as often) How about springs? Would they void the 36k warranty on suspention parts?

Another thing, I do my own oil changes and tire rotations and stuff do I have to start doing it at the dealer now to keep my warranty? I'm new to this whole warranty thing and i dont wanna mess up on something stupid like bringing it in for an oil change and them seeing something that will void it and terminating my warranty. ( like ZEX or intake ) so any input on this would be appreciated.

P>S> sorry my post is so damn long!
Old 02-06-2006, 04:12 PM

First off welcome to the family. You have made a wise decission grasshopper. As for your warrenty the nitrous will kill the warrenty. remeber if you have engine problems you would have to remove the whole system not just the bottle. I was reading in my owners manual about the springs. My stealership told me that if they put them on it would not void warrenty on suspention parts. I am not 100% on that sounds sketchy. No you do not have to take it to them for oil changes. I don't recommend it if you can. They use cheap oil. But I am sure there are guys on here that have had more experiance than I will warrenty crap. But welcome anyway.
Old 02-06-2006, 07:28 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

When I first bought my max I asked the manager straight up..."If I mod this car will it void my warrenty?" His response...without even any hesitation..."Yes!" A couple weeks ago I actually called the Nissan Warrenty # and talked to a guy....I think his name was Steve...but any way I asked him specfically the same question...HIS response was...If the malfunction is due to the mod then yes... but it will not void the entire warrenty...just the area where the mod/malfunction is. I then went on to say..."so if for some reason I do have a problem in an area where I...I should replace the stock part before bringing it in...?"

He said yes. Hope this helps.
Old 02-06-2006, 08:20 PM
Nations 1st 6th Gen Turbo

I have only taken my car in once for warranty work since purchased new in Sept 2003, my car is pretty heavily modded and my problem was a hesitation when accelerating, Sheehy Nissan tried to give me **** at first but I stood my ground and told them to prove to me which mod was causing the problem and I'll remove it and pay for it. After 2 days of working on it, the problem turned out to be 2 fried spark plugs on the rear bank.

The service manager later apologized for thinking it was a mod that caused the problem before looking at the car. Bottom line, I can't think of any bolt on mod that will void your warranty. NOSC is not a bolt on. I say do what makes you happy and deal with issues if they ever surface on a one-on-one basis and have fun...
Old 02-06-2006, 08:37 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

HERE IS ALL YOU NEED TO KNOW BRO.. THIS IS LAW!!!

http://www.granatellimotorsports.com/magnusonmoss.htm

DONE!!!
Old 02-07-2006, 04:07 AM
GrandPa

Welcome to the org. Good luck with your ride. I installed a wet kit. http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=436621 . I haven't used it yet. Waiting for the track to open.
Old 02-07-2006, 05:37 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

good to know. thanks guys
Old 02-07-2006, 08:37 AM
my rear view mirrors flap like a f-ing bird

I read the zex plugs are not that good.... with a low shot like you have you should stick with those plugs if you are not going to use it often.

if you are, we run IKH16 stock plugs in our cars, I would get a 2 step colder plugs like the Denso IKH22. it will work better with a nos set up..
Old 02-09-2006, 04:56 PM

warranty q's

Ok I've purchased a certified used max with 100k warranty on it in addition to my 3 year 36k warranty. One of my friends told me that beside my 36k 3 year warranty i also have 5 year 60k warranty on motor and tranny. Also, he said that if I call Nissan headquarters and cancel 100k warranty they send me a check for $1000? Is that true? Cuz technically i dont need a 100k warranty if im covered anyway till 60k thru nissan? Then if need comes I can always buy 100k warranty at 60k 4-5 years into the future. Prolly will sell the car b4 then. So any input?
Old 03-07-2006, 12:33 AM

My friend has been suggesting that i take the resonator off my max. I am very unfamiliar with all this, and was wondering if the resonator is bolt on or one piece. If it is connected, then would removing it (Im guessing by sawing or cutting) void the warranty? I have the extended warranty. Thanks for any input.