6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Anybody experice this when they hit the gas?

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2006, 08:45 AM

Anybody experice this when they hit the gas?

When I floor the car, there is a ton of white smoke that billows out the exhaust. Mind you, we've had some cool temps lately, but even when the temp is in the 40's (F), when I floor the car on the highway, it's like some coolant is passing into the head and there is a ton of white smoke.

There is no coolant in the oil; no oil in the coolant, no coolant leaks that I can see (or smell), and the car doesn't smoke under normal acceleration or idling (even when cold).

It doesn't matter if I've been in the car for 15 minutes or 3 hours, the moment I hit the gas, a ton of smoke out the exhaust.

I've owned 34 cars in my lifetime and this is the first one that does this...
Old 02-17-2006, 09:32 AM

I have the same problem. It seems to me that when you stomp on the gas it dumps more fuel in the combustion chamber than can be ignited so the unburned fuel passes out of the tailpipe. Just my opinion.

Mike

Old 02-17-2006, 09:36 AM
Newbie just Registered

Originally Posted by xavalancheowner
When I floor the car, there is a ton of white smoke that billows out the exhaust. Mind you, we've had some cool temps lately, but even when the temp is in the 40's (F), when I floor the car on the highway, it's like some coolant is passing into the head and there is a ton of white smoke.

There is no coolant in the oil; no oil in the coolant, no coolant leaks that I can see (or smell), and the car doesn't smoke under normal acceleration or idling (even when cold).

It doesn't matter if I've been in the car for 15 minutes or 3 hours, the moment I hit the gas, a ton of smoke out the exhaust.

Stealership time.
Old 02-17-2006, 09:51 AM

Yeah get that checked out. Never had that problem myself. Only problem i had when i floored it i would get a rotten egg smell in the car, but it went away after i replaced the exhaust.
Old 02-17-2006, 10:19 AM

I've never had that problem, but when I'm sittin at a stoplight i can see the white air from the exhaust in my mirrors. this happens even though the engine is warmed up and temps below 60. I wouldnt say i have smoke comin out but jus the condensation of the air.

Old 02-17-2006, 10:25 AM
.org extraordinaire

I live in Whitby, and dude I get the same thing, but I never get it when its summer time. I wouldnt be to worried about it. Stelershat will only give you a bullshat answear.

No worries man, my ride is fine and I jam the gas any chance I get.

Kam
Old 02-17-2006, 12:16 PM

catalytic convertor???

it's the condensation that the cat produces. you're just letting out the condensation that's been built up.

it's for emissions because the cat converts harmful gases into a less harmful luquid.
Old 02-17-2006, 12:38 PM

I get it (see it) too but only when its cold outside. It is the 3.5 liter beast under the hood that pumps out a lot more exhaust when you mash it and the high flow mufflers kick in to let the beast breathe. Long live the beast!!!!
Old 02-17-2006, 12:50 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Same here

My 05 SE with 9,500 miles does the exact thing in cold weather.
I was told pretty much the same - it is normal.
Regardless, does not look cool - punch it and it looks like the Batmobile is taking off.
Kind of embarrasing.
Old 02-17-2006, 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by y2za
My 05 SE with 9,500 miles does the exact thing in cold weather.
I was told pretty much the same - it is normal.
Regardless, does not look cool - punch it and it looks like the Batmobile is taking off.
Kind of embarrasing.
i Wouldnt mind to be seen driving around the batmobile, have you seen it lately
besides, when its cold even you let out some white smoke when you breathe,... same principle X 1000
Old 02-17-2006, 01:38 PM

But the car has done this in warm weather as well - I'm just wondering if the pocket of air (gurgling) in the coolant has something to do with it.

Glad to hear that some of you are experiencing this as well since I will not hit up the stealership for this issue. Actually, and I hate to admit this, I'll be dealing with the local Chrysler dealership since they know more about this car than the local Nissan dealership (sad but true).....
Old 02-17-2006, 01:52 PM

But the car has done this in warm weather as well - I'm just wondering if the pocket of air (gurgling) in the coolant has something to do with it.

Glad to hear that some of you are experiencing this as well since I will not hit up the stealership for this issue. Actually, and I hate to admit this, I'll be dealing with the local Chrysler dealership since they know more about this car than the local Nissan dealership (sad but true).....
when you say warm, define it for me, cause 40 seem pretty cold to me, i live in s. california and some mornings it does the same thing, i dont think its bellow 50 outside.
Old 02-17-2006, 02:26 PM
RVC
Donating Maxima.org Member

I think it's just excess fuel in the combustion chamber being burned and becomes smoke out the exhaust. I noticed mine does it when I downshift into 3rd on the highway and mash the gas. My 02 did it too. I wouldn't sweat it.
Old 02-17-2006, 05:53 PM

I notice the white smoke when I'm idling in cold temps. It bothered me when I first saw it, but I started looking at other cars at stop lights and it seems fairly normal.
Old 02-17-2006, 06:03 PM

It appears you are seeing the results of combustion. Burning a gallon of gasoline produces (through the products of combustion) almost a gallon of water. You are seeing the water vapor coming out of the tail pipe.

You are not seeing a gasoline vapor. The cat-converter will change any unburned gasoline to a non-volitile compound.

So, this water vapor is normal.

See my post on the subject of lower-sulfur gasoline in the Fluids and Lubes section of this site:

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=456754
Old 02-17-2006, 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by Majestic_MAx05
Only problem i had when i floored it i would get a rotten egg smell in the car, but it went away after i replaced the exhaust.
I have seen a truck (the ford types) get pissed off when i overtook him in a rental "Volvo" {that car has power} and I could smell the gas he wasted .... open roads.... coz, i had my vents in fresh air!!

flooring it.... waste of money!! .. get some other piece of car...(even someone in a camry could floor their car!!)

maxima: this car begs for a smart driver and even smarter driving!
Old 02-17-2006, 08:52 PM

mine does it to, kinda like it
Old 02-19-2006, 05:42 AM

Same thing here !!

Our 2005 has the same white smoke only when floored in the winter and summer with the smell of rotten eggs.If I floor it say 3 or 4 times in a row it clears right up.I hope this is normal coobie
Old 02-19-2006, 06:56 AM

Thanks for the input - I thought it may be related to the fact that there is air trapped in the coolant recirculation and that this may be causing it.

About Maxima's deserving to be driven by smart drivers, what do you clarify as a smart driver? One that wears oversized jeans, rolls one pantleg up, leaves the tag on the hat and tilt the hat to the left, wears a faux fur coat in the winter, has the IPod plugged in the ears when the main stereo subs pound the truck, tilts the power seat so far back that the drivers head is only visible from the back seat window, and finally chromes out the entire car so it shines like a diamond?

If so, I'm not smart. I just love to enjoy the power this baby has and the only way to have fun is to push it hard. If I wanted to drive smart, I'd buy a Smart car since you can't have any fun in those.
Old 02-19-2006, 08:28 AM
The "Other" project

I see the same with mine, I have just had the feling that it stems from the fact that the exhaust has a HUGE resionator and just builds up condensation, maybe I'm wrong........
Old 02-19-2006, 10:00 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

the other day i was messin aroudn with the last gen TL, we were rollin at around 10 then he slowed down next to me and gunned it and his car did the same exact thing. Then i spanked him.
Old 02-19-2006, 10:01 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

unburned fuel passing through would be black smoke not white. i have that problem in my turbo civic, never have enough fuel.
Old 02-19-2006, 10:11 AM
MDS

Mine absolutely does it. I don’t think it has anything to do with water vapor because mine does it when the car is fully warmed up, during winter or summer. I also with agree with 6thGenMax that it is not unburnt fuel. Poor combustion usually results in carbon build up, which creates black smoke. I have reason to think it is oil that works its way into the combustion chamber though the PCV valve.

Other threads discussed the benefits of an oil catch-can. They sell them on EBay

(http://search.ebay.com/search/search...can&category0=)

Others made them from parts purchased at Home Depot. If what these people said is true, there is a lot of oil that works its way through the PCV valve hose, into the throttle body, and ultimately into the cylinders. If I remember correctly, one person claimed that when he disconnected his PCV hose and revved the engine, oil actually sprayed out of the hose. If that is true, it would easily explain why we see white smoke when we floor it. It seems possible that the high rpms create the “blow-by”, which sprays the oil out of the PCV valve. Or it is also possible that the oil builds up in the hose or throttle body and when we floor it, the extra pressure blows it all out of the system at one time. Those with the oil catch can claim they have to empty the can on a regular basis, which supports the theory that a lot of oil works its way through the PCV valve hose into the cylinders.

I’ve never installed an oil catch can, candidly because I am a poor mechanic and fear I may hurt my car more than I help it. Apparently, the PCV valve hose operates under a vacuum. For that reason, the oil catch cans have pressure fittings and need to be installed correctly.

I don’t like leaving a smoke screen when I floor it, but I don’t think there is anything wrong with my car. Although, I will say that my car seems to run better after I clear it out. Sometimes it idles a tiny bit harsh. If I blow out first and second gear, the car runs better.

Anyway, if anyone who reads this installed an oil catch can, I’d appreciate your feedback about how much oil it catches. My guess is that our PCV valve is our culprit.