6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Carputer install

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2006, 07:03 AM
Not for rookies!!

Pictures of carputer install

Stock LCD screen removed from the top and replaced with the Xenarc 700TSV. The storage bin below the stock hu was removed and the LCD was placed there.

Close up of 700TSV. Running windows xpmce, with roadrunner as the frontend, and iguidance for navigation.

Powermate permanently placed right below the armrest. This device can be configured to do a number of things including volume up/down, track back/forward/play/stop etc.

DVD drive permanently fitted inside the glovebox (had to lose the glovebox light...oh well)
Old 02-28-2006, 07:03 AM
Not for rookies!!

Part 2

CPU located in the trunk.

Cpu with the rear seat pushed forward.

Video inputs for tv tuner, in trunk.

GPS navigation receiver...mounted on top of the rear deck.

TV tuner antennea...located by the rear glass.

I have full gps navigation, the ability to play all types of music (mp3, wma, etc) and watch all formats of movies (divx, avi, etc), Bluetooth, TV tuner and wifi.

The carputer has a microprocessor controlled auto power-up/shutdown interface which is based on ignition key input. (turn the key, the computer comes on…turn the key off the computer automatically goes through the shutdown procedure)

All the wires for the rearview camera are connected however I don’t have the ***** to have someone drill a hole in the trunk.

Of course everything is connected to the HU via a Pac aai-nis unit, so sound quality is not an issue at all as everything sounds GREAT...the sounds while watching a movie is reminiscent of watching one at home with my surrond sound setup.

Everything was professionally installed and as you all can see looks stock.
Old 02-28-2006, 07:31 AM

Holy Friggin Crap!!!! That is a great setup!!!!

Are you going to add monitors for the rear passengers?? If so, how and where?

If I may ask, approximately what is the total price tag on this type of project?
Old 02-28-2006, 07:37 AM
Nations 1st 6th Gen Turbo

Wow, something different...
Old 02-28-2006, 07:45 AM
Not for rookies!!

Originally Posted by BadBlackMaxSL
Holy Friggin Crap!!!! That is a great setup!!!!

Are you going to add monitors for the rear passengers?? If so, how and where?

If I may ask, approximately what is the total price tag on this type of project?
The unit can be found here, after installation everything would run you about $2,500. I got some of the items at huge discounts, so probally only came with $1700 out of pocket. Of course you could find complete systems for less, or you could also buy the individual pieces and build it yourself. But after doing alot of research this is what I thought would be the best fit for me.

I have no immediate plans for additional monitors, but who knows what the future will bring.

PS
You can't tell from the picture, but the powermate below the armrest, glows blue on and off...definately looks cool while it is glowing.
Old 02-28-2006, 08:44 AM

Very nice.

Does the system have internet access through the gps antenna?.
Old 02-28-2006, 08:46 AM
Not for rookies!!

Originally Posted by EricP
Very nice.

Does the system have internet access through the gps antenna?.
Thanks, I have a wifi usb adapter in the trunk. But am contemplating a permanent internet solution using my cell service.
Old 02-28-2006, 02:22 PM
.org extraordinaire

WhOLLY FRIGGIN CROOOP BATMAN!!! Now im motivated. I will definately try that by the summer.
Kam
Old 02-28-2006, 02:31 PM

WOW - AMAZING stuff right there!

Nice work!
Old 02-28-2006, 04:52 PM

I Love It. It's definitely on my todo list.

Does anybody know if engine management devices like the SAFC_II that chernmax got would plug into the carputer for quick loading of saved profiles?
Old 02-28-2006, 06:01 PM

nice job man thats a mod i can see myself trying to get
Old 02-28-2006, 06:03 PM
GrandPa

Looks great. See you March 18th.
Old 02-28-2006, 06:08 PM
Play with my balls

that's a good looking setup. i was going to build my own, but this looks like a complete setup.
Old 02-28-2006, 06:15 PM

this is insane. great great mod
Old 02-28-2006, 06:20 PM
*moderator*

Very nice, way to step up!!
Old 02-28-2006, 06:26 PM

speechless....... just kept on lookin at the pics. thats some amazing ****. good job.
Old 02-28-2006, 07:27 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Can you still use the ***** and cd drive in the dash?
Old 02-28-2006, 07:59 PM
Not for rookies!!

Originally Posted by 02maxxxSE
Can you still use the ***** and cd drive in the dash?
Yes the functionalibilty of the HU remains untouched, except for being use along with the pac unit for sound from the computer.
Old 02-28-2006, 08:02 PM
Not for rookies!!

Thanks for all the kind words guys.
Warren I will see you on the 18th and I will be sure to bring my camera.

I will take more picks over the weekend.
Old 02-28-2006, 08:10 PM

nice setup
can this tell you stuff about your car ie:rpms, mph, and other goodies with the car?
Old 02-28-2006, 08:15 PM
Not for rookies!!

Originally Posted by imnotoriousjoe
nice setup
can this tell you stuff about your car ie:rpms, mph, and other goodies with the car?
I would need more than my current setup for that.
I have not really looked into it for the 6th gen max, however I have seen similar setups for other cars/manufacturers.
Old 02-28-2006, 08:25 PM
THIS IS...

Wow that is pure sex. Nice job, it looks very clean.
Old 03-01-2006, 12:09 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Wow, Im speechless!! Great job in a beautiful set up!!
Old 03-01-2006, 06:01 AM
Not for rookies!!

While I appreciate all the kind words, I definitely can't take all the credit for the idea of retrofitting our cars and putting a computer in them...I am merely trying to follow and expand on the trail that viguera started.

There is quite the community of people all over the world who have been doing this to their cars for awhile now. Having a car with an information screen and a place to move it to makes this type of mod easier; 6th generation maxima owners don't have to fabricate a place to put the touch screen in.
Old 03-01-2006, 07:06 AM

Is there a way for you to import and export data from the computer? Do you have to plug into a usb port on the computer in the trunk or is it wireless? For example, If you have a handheld device and you want to sync that data with that on the cars computer- how would you do that? I work out of my car a lot...... sales.... and lugging my laptop and working with my handheld device is cumbersome and a pain. A setup like this would be awesome. Now if I could only convince the wife that it is REALLY needed for me to function.

Again, props on a mod that is intelligent in design and function.
Old 03-01-2006, 07:09 AM

very nice setup.

I am also running a carputer in my 4th gen. But my setup was much cheaper. A $180 touchscreen monitor that I fabricated into the dash & a laptop that's under the seat.

I am using my cell service for internet connections via bluetooth.

What kind of front end are you running??? I've tested a few already and haven't found one that works good for me yet.

If you want info displayed about the the ECU and whatnot, just get an OBDII connection but it's rather pricey.

I am "saving" up for this right now.
My max is also converted from fuel to run on LPG (Liquified Petroleum Gas) and I was able to hook up into the ECU of the LPG which lets me tune the ECU of the LPG by telling it at what RPM's it should switch from fuel to LPG & diagnose problems with it.
Old 03-01-2006, 07:36 AM
Not for rookies!!

Originally Posted by BadBlackMaxSL
Is there a way for you to import and export data from the computer? Do you have to plug into a usb port on the computer in the trunk or is it wireless? For example, If you have a handheld device and you want to sync that data with that on the cars computer- how would you do that? I work out of my car a lot...... sales.... and lugging my laptop and working with my handheld device is cumbersome and a pain. A setup like this would be awesome. Now if I could only convince the wife that it is REALLY needed for me to function.
My system includes 8 usb 2.0 ports. Believe it or not I am currently have all of them in use; 1) wifi 2) bluetooth 3) wireless mouse/keyboard 4) touchscreen 5) gps receiver 6) powermate 7) dvd drive and 8) TV tuner.

Now of course I really don't need to have all those things. So what I do when I need to connect my USB or portable Hard Drive is to disconnect something. I currently have to move my rear seat forward in order to assess the computer, a better solution would be to have a powered USB hub permanently mounted somewhere up front.

When I first got it, my wife only thought that it was a navigation unit, I slowing eased her into the fact that I had put a computer in my car on a long trip from NY to Atlanta and then Orlando…the fact that I had already loaded mp3s of songs that she likes definitely helped.

BTW
I did not tell her the entire truth about the full cost of this project
Old 03-01-2006, 07:49 AM
Not for rookies!!

Originally Posted by BourneJ
very nice setup.

I am also running a carputer in my 4th gen. But my setup was much cheaper. A $180 touchscreen monitor that I fabricated into the dash & a laptop that's under the seat.

What kind of front end are you running??? I've tested a few already and haven't found one that works good for me yet.

If you want info displayed about the the ECU and whatnot, just get an OBDII connection but it's rather pricey.

My max is also converted from fuel to run on LPG (Liquified Petroleum Gas) and I was able to hook up into the ECU of the LPG which lets me tune the ECU of the LPG by telling it at what RPM's it should switch from fuel to LPG & diagnose problems with it.
After trying out a few frontends, I finally decided on Road Runner. My only issue with RR is that it does not natively support Iguidance (I know that there is a way to work around this, but it would have made my life easier if the support was there) Mobile Impact is pretty cool too, but I had problems with its mp3 playback.
I found that the others for the most part were overly complicated and the developer(s) do not offer up enough support (yes I know that for the most part the software is free and being developed as a hobby, but Road Runner is updated very frequently)
I am very curious about Street Deck and may give that a try when they start selling the software by itself.

Your system is impressive; please keep me informed of your progress.

edit;
My choice of frontend was based on the following;
Easy to use in the car environment
Looked somewhat stock when view by others (good skins)
Intergrated well with Iguidance
Provided good audio media support
Provided good video media fullscreen support
That's about it...Having am/fm radio intergration isn't important because I use my HU for that and I still haven't fully decided on the rearview camera or the xm module.
Old 03-01-2006, 09:00 AM
Jedi Knight

looks good...are you on mp3car.com? I need to rebuild my carputer...I miss it already...
Old 03-01-2006, 09:53 AM
.org extraordinaire

Originally Posted by BourneJ
very nice setup.

Czlowieku co ty robisz w Maximie z gazem??? :O mam nadzieje ze to nie nowa wersja maximy bo bym sie chyba zalamal. Ja mieszkalem kiedys w Stalowej Woli jak bylem maly. Na ul.Poniatowskiego 17, przy przedszkolu.

English from above: Man, what are you doing with LPG in a maxima? If you told me it was a new 6thgen i would have a breakendown :O, I used to live is Salowa Wola when I was much much younger. At ul. Poniatwoskiego 17, right beside the kindergarten school.

A laptop is the easiest was to make a carputer but I i guess the hardest to niceley intergrate into the vehicle.

Thanks / Dzieki

Kamil
Old 03-01-2006, 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by kamilkluczewski
Czlowieku co ty robisz w Maximie z gazem??? :O mam nadzieje ze to nie nowa wersja maximy bo bym sie chyba zalamal. Ja mieszkalem kiedys w Stalowej Woli jak bylem maly. Na ul.Poniatowskiego 17, przy przedszkolu.

English from above: Man, what are you doing with LPG in a maxima? If you told me it was a new 6thgen i would have a breakendown :O, I used to live is Salowa Wola when I was much much younger. At ul. Poniatwoskiego 17, right beside the kindergarten school.

A laptop is the easiest was to make a carputer but I i guess the hardest to niceley intergrate into the vehicle.

Thanks / Dzieki

Kamil
It's a 4th Gen; LPG has come a long way since they started. I have a sequential install that is connected with the Fuel Injectors; it's not one of those $400 installs; I've done about 15K KM on it and so far no problems at all. I couldn't be happier with it.

Sorry for the off-topic; pm me with questions Kamil.

Back on topic; I've actually installed Road Runner as a front end a couple days ago but haven't tested it yet (too busy with work); I've changed from NeoMediaCar since it was constantly hanging up on me while driving.
Old 03-01-2006, 10:07 AM
Not for rookies!!

Originally Posted by nupe500
looks good...are you on mp3car.com? I need to rebuild my carputer...I miss it already...
Yes I am, that forum has tons of usefull information.
Old 03-01-2006, 10:24 AM

Nice mod. I am currently in the process of doing this mod.
I'm using an old CPU.
Like you I have everything set up for the reverse camera. I
just couldn't bring myself to drilling a hole in my trunk also. What
I plan to do is mount the camera where my back winshield meet the back part of the roof. I decided to pass on the navi system however.
Old 03-01-2006, 10:30 AM
Not for rookies!!

queenambeach last week I took a trip from New York - Atlanta - Orlando - New York and having the navigation system made my trip so much easier.

Would having the camera there be any more beneficial than looking our your shoulder? Another solution to the drilling issue is to buy a licence plate frame camera...no drilling necessary.

Goodluck on your install.
Old 03-01-2006, 10:40 AM

i have no idea how you spent so much money - you could have done that for a lot cheaper - but whatever works - nice setup

had mine since last summer - viguera def. helped on the finer points - i use frodoplayer right now - but due to the lack of support i'll probably be moving over to roadrunner soon - here's 1 pretty bad picture
http://thewolfweb.com/photos/00417543.jpg

for all those interested - this is a very good forum/community
http://mp3car.com/vbulletin/
Old 03-01-2006, 10:51 AM

Very cool. One of my friends is in the process of building his own computer. When ever its done we are probably going to put in my car. Can't wait to see this in person.
Old 03-01-2006, 10:55 AM
Not for rookies!!

Originally Posted by OmarBadu
i have no idea how you spent so much money - you could have done that for a lot cheaper - but whatever works - nice setup

had mine since last summer - viguera def. helped on the finer points - i use frodoplayer right now - but due to the lack of support i'll probably be moving over to roadrunner soon - here's 1 pretty bad picture

for all those interested - this is a very good forum/community
http://mp3car.com/vbulletin/
I was fully aware of alternatives when I choose to buy my system please see post 5.. I preferred this route because I don't have the time or patience to buy the parts and build a system from scratch. I also preferred to have everything completed on my schedule and not waiting on someone else's (for assistance with this project). I also do not have any tape or other type of household adhesive holding my touch screen in place...it was professionally installed with brackets.

And yes Omar, this whole system works very well for me.
Old 03-01-2006, 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by wesallenjr
I was fully aware of alternatives when I choose to buy my system please see post 5.. I preferred this route because I don't have the time or patience to buy the parts and build a system from scratch. I also preferred to have everything completed on my schedule and not waiting on someone else's (for assistance with this project). I also do not have any tape or other type of household adhesive holding my touch screen in place...it was professionally installed with brackets.

And yes Omar, this whole system works very well for me.

Old 03-01-2006, 11:02 AM
Not for rookies!!

Originally Posted by Mystery
Very cool. One of my friends is in the process of building his own computer. When ever its done we are probably going to put in my car. Can't wait to see this in person.
I am going to be at the local meet for NYCmaximas on the 18th of this month so if you are there you will be able to see it in person.
Old 03-01-2006, 01:58 PM

i think that is awesome and great job.

Quick Reply: Carputer install