6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Where is the GPS receiver for the nav unit located?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2006, 05:36 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Where is the GPS receiver for the nav unit located?

Hello,

I've search for this information but I cannot find it (maybe I missed it though?). Does anyone know where the GPS receiver unit is for the stock navigation unit? The reason I ask is that I found what looks to be a "complete" nav center console + screen for an 05 Maxima:

http://cgi.ebay.ca/NISSAN-MAXIMA-200...spagenameZWDVW

I think I may remember reading that the actual receiver was near the glove box, so in that case this wouldn't help us to convert from non-nav to nav. However, if the receiver is in the center console area, then this might.

Thanks
Old 03-01-2006, 05:44 AM
Not for rookies!!

Does that include the dvd drive also?
Old 03-01-2006, 09:57 AM
.org extraordinaire

Originally Posted by Monotaur
Hello,

I've search for this information but I cannot find it (maybe I missed it though?). Does anyone know where the GPS receiver unit is for the stock navigation unit? The reason I ask is that I found what looks to be a "complete" nav center console + screen for an 05 Maxima:

http://cgi.ebay.ca/NISSAN-MAXIMA-200...spagenameZWDVW

I think I may remember reading that the actual receiver was near the glove box, so in that case this wouldn't help us to convert from non-nav to nav. However, if the receiver is in the center console area, then this might.

Thanks
DUde!....

its behind the security led in the centre of your dash. Right under the windshield in the middle, you have to pop the panel off with something to gain access to it.
Thanks,
Kam
Old 03-01-2006, 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by kamilkluczewski
DUde!....

its behind the security led in the centre of your dash. Right under the windshield in the middle, you have to pop the panel off with something to gain access to it.
Thanks,
Kam
Ok, thanks... so I'm guessing that this does NOT have the receiver too then... oh well.
Old 03-01-2006, 10:28 AM
Nations 1st 6th Gen Turbo

Don't confuse GPS with a NAVI unit. The console listed is a stock setup, NOT NAVI, I copied and zoomed the picture in and the buttons below the screen do not have the NAVI control buttons (Map, Dest, etc) which means it's probably the same as what you have now. Also if it where a NAVI, there is an additional DVD drive that should come with it to load and store the Navigation DVD software. That drive would be located all the way at the bottom of the console behind the flip up access door. Good Luck
Old 03-01-2006, 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by chernmax
Don't confuse GPS with a NAVI unit. The console listed is a stock setup, NOT NAVI, I copied and zoomed the picture in and the buttons below the screen do not have the NAVI control buttons (Map, Dest, etc) which means it's probably the same as what you have now. Also if it where a NAVI, there is an additional DVD drive that should come with it to load and store the Navigation DVD software. That drive would be located all the way at the bottom of the console behind the flip up access door. Good Luck
Ok, thanks chernmax. I belive that you are correct - probably not a NAVI unit. But, aren't the NAVI controls on the row of buttons with the joystick, and not the climate controls? Actually, if they are then they are also missing... so pretty useless.

Thanks again.
Old 03-01-2006, 11:24 AM
1993 SE

Would you be able to upgrade that dvd drive to a real one? sorry
Old 03-01-2006, 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by swowlinc
Would you be able to upgrade that dvd drive to a real one? sorry
Anything is possible if you invest enough time, money and effort. But if you do, you may be able to view a DVD, but you NAVI will not function because it needs to be in the DVD drive in order to work.
Old 03-01-2006, 11:46 AM

Ok, thanks chernmax. I belive that you are correct - probably not a NAVI unit. But, aren't the NAVI controls on the row of buttons with the joystick, and not the climate controls? Actually, if they are then they are also missing... so pretty useless.

Thanks again.

Actually your correct, with that said, why is he not displaying those buttons in his Ebay thread. Nor the DVD Nav drive, the key components for the NAVI system.

Just an example of what NAVI buttons look like for reference. Good Luck

Old 03-01-2006, 01:50 PM

Ok, I actaually called the guy... he said that everything is there (computer, GPS antenna, console, etc), and that it was a NAV unit since it came out of a Maxima not an Altima.

So, I think I'll pass... thanks.
Old 03-01-2006, 06:42 PM

he said that everything is there (computer, GPS antenna, console, etc), and that it was a NAV unit since it came out of a Maxima not an Altima.

Good Call, his knowledge of what he has for sale is worthless...

There was a guy on the Org before trying to sell a console unit he stated was a NAVI that he got cheap. I believe his thread title in the 6th Gen section was "What's this worth". The finding was non-Navi with a monochrome screen. No one on the Org bought it. Funny theirs one up on Ebay now. Could be strictly a coincidence also, but HHmmmmmmm...
Old 03-02-2006, 08:13 AM
dla

Ok, I actaually called the guy... he said that everything is there (computer, GPS antenna, console, etc), and that it was a NAV unit since it came out of a Maxima not an Altima.

Wise move!

Actually your correct, with that said, why is he not displaying those buttons in his Ebay thread. Nor the DVD Nav drive, the key components for the NAVI system.

Just an example of what NAVI buttons look like for reference. Good Luck

chernmax: is that a police scanner you have mounted above the navi? Is that your under cover ride?
Old 03-02-2006, 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by dla
Wise move!

chernmax: is that a police scanner you have mounted above the navi? Is that your under cover ride?
Yes, I do volunteer rescue work in my area and I have all the local and state police, fire and military channels programmed in which gives me superb insight to storm trooper locations. The only way to understand the man, is to listen to him...