6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

What's the difference between the TC and VDC?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2006, 07:28 AM

What's the difference between the TC and VDC?

I have officially moved up to the 6th gen forum when picked up an 04 yesterday from an org member (the torched has been passed on to me by "glennjr"). I just noticed that I don't have a traction control button but have the VDC. The manual describes each one having exactly the same purpose. Does any one know what the real difference is? Thanks.
Old 03-21-2006, 09:35 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Traction control is for front tire spin under power.

VDC is more involved in correcting over/understeer before you are aware it is happening.

At least thats what I recall. I don't have either. Just the LSD in my 6 speed. My next car will have some sort of VDC for sure.

CM
Old 03-21-2006, 09:53 AM
Not for rookies!!

The following was taken directly from nissan's website;

Vehicle Dynamic Control (VDC)*
A car's performance is a complicated thing. Torque ratios, g-forces, steering angle, yaw rate. Maxima is available with Vehicle Dynamic Control to keep a watchful eye on all of it. An arrray of sensors "read" if your Maxima is moving from its intended line of trajectory and respond immediately to compensate for understeer or oversteer to help keep you out of trouble.

Traction Control
To help keep your wheels from spinning, the Traction Control System automatically reduces engine output to help regain traction. You'll find it particularly valuable during acceleration or in slippery conditions.

BTW
I have both.
Old 03-21-2006, 10:16 AM
Newbie just Registered

TCS - monitors drive wheels only
VDC - monitors all 4 wheels
Old 03-21-2006, 12:37 PM
Banned

Yeah but if you let the car correct all the problems, what does the driver learn? Nothing!
Old 03-21-2006, 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by 04BlackMaxx
Yeah but if you let the car correct all the problems, what does the driver learn? Nothing!
Yes safety equipment is an awful burden. Make sure you disconnect your airbags, ABS, and seatbelt in your car so that each time you drive you will LEARN something.

VDC and ABS are the two biggest innovations in terms of safety since the seat belt. Unlike some people, I'm under no illusion that I can perform better than these systems.

The idea is to prevent accidents so the driver will be alive to LEARN better driving skills in the future. Going into a corner too fast or brakeing too hard shouldn't have to cost you your life.

CM
Old 03-21-2006, 01:05 PM
Not for rookies!!

Originally Posted by CanadianMoFo
Yes safety equipment is an awful burden. Make sure you disconnect your airbags, ABS, and seatbelt in your car so that each time you drive you will LEARN something.

VDC and ABS are the two biggest innovations in terms of safety since the seat belt. Unlike some people, I'm under no illusion that I can perform better than these systems.

The idea is to prevent accidents so the driver will be alive to LEARN better driving skills in the future. Going into a corner too fast or brakeing too hard shouldn't have to cost you your life.

CM
What he said ^
Old 03-21-2006, 04:34 PM

Thanks for the info guys, that explains things a whole lot better because the owner's manual gives exactly the same description for both. Unless it was really a typo on their part.
Old 03-21-2006, 05:13 PM

So then why did Nissan take out the VDC after the 04 models?

its not like VDC and TCS cant coexist.
Old 03-21-2006, 05:28 PM
Newbie just Registered

Originally Posted by SmokeNismo
So then why did Nissan take out the VDC after the 04 models?

its not like VDC and TCS cant coexist.
TCS comes standard, VDC is an option.
Old 03-21-2006, 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by RHMax
TCS comes standard, VDC is an option.

OOoo that's right, I forgot.
Old 03-21-2006, 07:25 PM
Banned

I had my ABS disconnected all winter thanks to nissans great innovations, I had no problem. You should know your car enough not to have a computer modulate the braking for you.
Old 03-21-2006, 10:24 PM

04BlackMax - ABS is one of the best automotive developments of recent decades. It may not operate as we would like on frozen surfaces, but then it was never designed for that.

For normal driving on normal roads, many tests with very experienced and highly qualified drivers have proven many times that ABS not only enables shorter stops, but keeps the rear from sliding to the side, greatly improving the driver's ability to maneuver the car during full emergency braking.

As a driver with over fifty-five year's experience, and one who thought he was 'better at braking than some fancy device', I was very dubious of ABS early on. After many years driving with ABS, I now know my initial feelings were wrong. I will never own a vehicle without ABS.
Old 03-21-2006, 10:29 PM

azrael - You may have wondered how to turn off the TCS when your VDC-equipped Maxima does not have a TCS switch. On VDC-equipped Maximas, the VDC switch turns both the TCS and VDC systems off or on simultaneously.

Also - GENERALLY SPEAKING (there are exceptions, of course), the TCS system is most helpful at low speeds, while the VDC is most useful at normal road speeds.
Old 03-22-2006, 05:50 AM
Banned

My old car had ABS too...I agree in dry situations its good...however, it is absolutely 100% useless in snow...you MUST get off the brake and let the car catch traction again and brake moreIve been in a few slides this winter, nothing serious, but I can save the car from a slide by letting off the brake and re-applying, you all know what Im talking about. I know it pulsatesa trillion times a second...but thats useless in snow, the tires need more time to roll. It is laughable how ABS performs in snow, but I agree in the dry or rain its useful, in snow its helpless.
Old 03-22-2006, 07:47 AM

Originally Posted by lightonthehill
azrael - You may have wondered how to turn off the TCS when your VDC-equipped Maxima does not have a TCS switch. On VDC-equipped Maximas, the VDC switch turns both the TCS and VDC systems off or on simultaneously.

Also - GENERALLY SPEAKING (there are exceptions, of course), the TCS system is most helpful at low speeds, while the VDC is most useful at normal road speeds.
Are you saying that I still have the TC feature even if I don't have the switch for it?
Old 03-22-2006, 07:54 AM
Newbie just Registered

Originally Posted by azrael
Are you saying that I still have the TC feature even if I don't have the switch for it?
If you don't have the switch, you don't have the feature. TCS button is next to the power mirrie control.
Old 03-22-2006, 09:15 AM

If you don't have the switch, you don't have the feature. TCS button is next to the power mirrie control.
I thought that was the VDC button?
Old 03-22-2006, 09:23 AM
Newbie just Registered

Originally Posted by Monotaur
I thought that was the VDC button?
I don't have VDC, I only have TCS. If you have VDC, you won't need TCS since VDC is essentially the same w/ TCS for all 4 wheels.
Old 03-22-2006, 09:39 AM

I don't have VDC, I only have TCS. If you have VDC, you won't need TCS since VDC is essentially the same w/ TCS for all 4 wheels.
oh oki, now that makes me feel a lot better
Old 03-22-2006, 10:56 AM

UH?
man that sounds like a poem to me
Old 03-22-2006, 06:02 PM

RHMax's post is headed in the right direction.

All 6th gen Maximas with VDC also have TCS. When the vehicle has VDC, the TCS system is under the control of the VDC system, hence no separate 'TCS OFF' switch is needed.

With vehicles equipped with VDC, when we turn off the VDC, we are also turning off the TCS system.

Some functions handled by the TCS and VDC systems use portions of the ABLS (Active Brake Limited Slip) and ABS (Antilock Braking System). Turning off the TCS/VDC does not turn off the ABLS and ABS systems.

TCS/VDC systems are automatically 'ON' whenever the engine is started. To keep them off (which most folks would do if on snow or ice), they must be turned off every time the engine is started.
Old 03-22-2006, 08:36 PM

Ok.. so basically, if I have a blank switch plate between the mirror controls and the heated sterring wheel, I don't have either, correct? I don't have VDC, and I'm pretty certain that I don't have TCS.

Thanks!
Old 03-22-2006, 08:43 PM
Newbie just Registered

Originally Posted by Monotaur
Ok.. so basically, if I have a blank switch plate between the mirror controls and the heated sterring wheel, I don't have either, correct? I don't have VDC, and I'm pretty certain that I don't have TCS.

Thanks!
TCS wan an option on '04, but standard on '05 on. If you have blank button between mirrors and heated steering wheel, then you don't have either.
Old 04-09-2006, 09:29 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

navi help plz

is it possible to install a factory navi in my '06 maxima sl and an ipod?
Old 04-09-2006, 09:47 PM

Originally Posted by slykidd
is it possible to install a factory navi in my '06 maxima sl and an ipod?
ummm...wrong thread, though I do see you still can't start your own yet.
Surely you can install both a factory navi, and an ipod via the SAT using the pac aai-nis unit. However it may be more versatile if you to install a carputer just like the one that UNMATCHED has fpr about the same about of money to install a factory navi. He may be the person to ask regarding this setup
Old 04-09-2006, 10:24 PM

do not mean to thread jack, but you cannot install factory navi, i have an 05 without navi, and i work for nissan they wont even do it for me, the job may be possible if you find someone willing to do so, but it will run you more then 3 grand without a doubt.
Old 04-09-2006, 11:53 PM

As a driver of almost 30 years and an amateur race driver for more than 20 years here is my take on all this. I agree with lightonthehill: ABS is one of the greatest safety inventions since the seat belt. I was skeptical until I drove a 1987 Supra Turbo and jammed on teh brakes in the rain on rail road tracks around a turn and the car stopped instantly. I was sold. Traction control is a different matter. From talking to Tadashi at Technosquare, he indicated that TC is controlled by reducing engine timing. Since I have the skill, I find that I drive without TC a lot of the time. Its good in rain perhaps, but thats it. VDC may be ok to use, especially for avarage skilled drivers. I havent used it so Im not sure about it. Maybe in street situations like most of us are in, it may be good. Certainly not in racing competitions though. When I raced in my time trial last year, I had my TC on. If I run it this year, I may take it off. I want all the timing I can get. My 2 cents.