6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

My new maxima.

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2006, 12:36 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

My new maxima.

Finally after 2.5 months of searching. I bought an 04 SE. Silver with black leather with the drivers preferred ans sensory packages with Bose. Now I need some cash for mods. Anybody want to by an '90 SE with 177K miles.
Old 03-28-2006, 12:40 PM

Welcome! We just sold our 91 SE, great car but I'm sure you won't be missing it too much with the new 04 that you have.
Old 03-30-2006, 01:44 PM

Not trying to hijack, but I just realized that I can't start my own thread and figured you might have some good info for me anyway, having just gone through the process.

It’s time to replace my 99 Jeep GC Ltd, so I’ve narrowed my search down to the Maxima, and a dealer in town has one that fits my requirements. (White 04 SL, 30k miles) I plan on having it inspected, but I wanted to see if the experts out there can shed any light on potential issues that I should be aware of before buying this car, which will likely happen tomorrow or Saturday. I’ve perused the forum for a while this afternoon, and read up on some other sites, reviews, etc., and it seems to be a solid choice. Goodbye 15 MPG!

Any help would be much appreciated, and if all goes well I’ll probably be a regular around here soon.
Old 03-30-2006, 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by JRTWildcat
Not trying to hijack, but I just realized that I can't start my own thread and figured you might have some good info for me anyway, having just gone through the process.

It’s time to replace my 99 Jeep GC Ltd, so I’ve narrowed my search down to the Maxima, and a dealer in town has one that fits my requirements. (White 04 SL, 30k miles) I plan on having it inspected, but I wanted to see if the experts out there can shed any light on potential issues that I should be aware of before buying this car, which will likely happen tomorrow or Saturday. I’ve perused the forum for a while this afternoon, and read up on some other sites, reviews, etc., and it seems to be a solid choice. Goodbye 15 MPG!

Any help would be much appreciated, and if all goes well I’ll probably be a regular around here soon.
I'd check for the infamous shimmy, with further info on the thread here:

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=348639&page=7

My car had it when i first purchased my max and just NOW got the issue addressed properly, 8 months later after plenty of visits at the dealer, which there is a TSB to "fix it". Read that link to get a better understanding.

I wish i knew about Maxima.Org back then!
Old 03-30-2006, 04:30 PM

Yikes, that's about enough to scare me out of the car and I only read one page! Funny thing is that I test drove an 04 SL a couple of months ago and it had a bit of a pull to the right and a slight shimmy around 60 mph. I'll make sure I get this one cranked up as fast as they'll let me on the turnpike.

So is there much difference in shimmy occurance between the SL and the SE? (I'm sure this is covered somewhere) I thought perhaps with the smaller wheels on the SL it would be better, but maybe not.

I suppose all cars have their known faults though. (Do they? Accord? G35?) Might have to rethink my choice, but I really like how the Max drives and looks.
Old 03-30-2006, 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by majestic_maxi
I'd check for the infamous shimmy, with further info on the thread here:

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=348639&page=7

My car had it when i first purchased my max and just NOW got the issue addressed properly, 8 months later after plenty of visits at the dealer, which there is a TSB to "fix it". Read that link to get a better understanding.

I wish i knew about Maxima.Org back then!
What did they do to fix your shimmy?? My dealer tried to tell me it's a simple slider adjustment/balancing, but I think they are just trying to delay it long enough for my warranty to run out.

Ming
Old 03-31-2006, 05:54 AM

Originally Posted by macming
What did they do to fix your shimmy?? My dealer tried to tell me it's a simple slider adjustment/balancing, but I think they are just trying to delay it long enough for my warranty to run out.

Ming
After 7 months of MULTIPLE Road Force Balances, tire rotations, etc... I had to get Nissan Consumer Affairs involved (once again THANK GOD for the ORG and the stickies on how to properly pursue this!!!!) i went to another dealer who addressed the issue by adjusting the Steering Rack Assembly (TSB-04085) from the 1st first visit. After a couple of weeks the shimmy reappeared where they adjusted the Steering Rack a second time and it came loose again, so they just Warrantied (sp) it out, just 2 weeks ago so i'm still "testing" the new one out.
Old 03-31-2006, 06:29 AM
Nations 1st 6th Gen Turbo

Not all Maxima's come with the shimmy option, thanks goodness mine didn't. Welcome to the 6th Gen Forum...
Old 03-31-2006, 06:33 AM

Originally Posted by chernmax
Not all Maxima's come with the shimmy option, thanks goodness mine didn't. Welcome to the 6th Gen Forum...

Good point Chern!... some were unfortunate to have the shimmy so don't discredit the Maxima because of this, just look for it before you decide on purchasing it
Old 03-31-2006, 06:51 AM

So suppose I go test drive this Max today and there's no shimmy - do you suppose I'm probably safe? I'd imagine after 30k miles it would have developed by then if it was going to.

That was one of the big reasons that the Max has such a good reputation in my mind - an incredibly smooth ride at any speed. I remember in high school taking a road trip with my friend when he had his parents new 95 Max, we cut a 4-hour trip down to 2 hours, going about 135 and it felt like 55.

Majestic - just saw you're in Denver as well. What octane do you use? I read a bit from another post, but it sounds like there are several opinions.

I'll finish the shimmy thread today, productivity at work will have to suffer in the name of research.
Old 03-31-2006, 07:44 AM
*moderator*

I never had the shimmy either!!
Welcome aboard!!
(oh and of course you bought the BEST color!)
Old 03-31-2006, 07:57 AM

So suppose I go test drive this Max today and there's no shimmy - do you suppose I'm probably safe? I'd imagine after 30k miles it would have developed by then if it was going to.

That was one of the big reasons that the Max has such a good reputation in my mind - an incredibly smooth ride at any speed. I remember in high school taking a road trip with my friend when he had his parents new 95 Max, we cut a 4-hour trip down to 2 hours, going about 135 and it felt like 55.

Majestic - just saw you're in Denver as well. What octane do you use? I read a bit from another post, but it sounds like there are several opinions.

I'll finish the shimmy thread today, productivity at work will have to suffer in the name of research.
I just use what the manual says to use, 91 Octane. I try to keep it simple and not try to guess or worry too much about the consequences using a lower octane, piece of mind i spose you could call it

SilverMax_04, who lives in Colorado Springs, has some good insite and info on Octane on what us high altitude drivers should use (i think the manual has a little info on it as well), but it runs good on 91 so I stay with that...

About your purchase.. I'd say if the Shimmy is definitely NOT there and there's no other serious problems heard, seen, or felt, i'd say go for it. Every car is prone to it's problems, but catching any issues in the warranty period or better yet, before the purchase is a major plus.
Old 03-31-2006, 09:35 AM

Probably a good idea, if I do buy one I'll just put 91 in it to be safe.

That's true, I will have just under 6k miles left on the factory warranty in case something goes wrong.

After reading through that entire shimmy thread, I'm starting to wonder if I should just look for an 05 to be on the safe side. (Not that it would guarantee anything) Of course that will start to get the price into the range of an 04 TL, which was my second choice behind the Max due to price.

Decisions, decisions. I think I'll know more after I test drive that one tonight. If it shimmies, I might have to end up with a boring-@ss Accord.
Old 03-31-2006, 05:29 PM

Just got back from the test drive, got it up to just over 80, no shimmy whatsoever. I ended up walking out because they didn't accept my offer, but I may go back this week and get it anyway. Great car.
Old 03-31-2006, 07:17 PM

Just got back from the test drive, got it up to just over 80, no shimmy whatsoever. I ended up walking out because they didn't accept my offer, but I may go back this week and get it anyway. Great car.
Not to insult your intelligence, but make sure you read the thread about the shimmy carefully and how to really detect if you have it. Cause it's really more annoying and frustrating than anything, but getting it fixed by the dealer is another story (went there literally 10 times, 2 different dealers)

Many people have been fortunate to not have it, but you're in a position to actually CAN back out of the deal, unlike me and many others....

Not to beat this shimmy topic to death, just hate to see you deal with it! Send me a PM if you have questions to not hack this thread up over this much discussed topic!