6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Newbie Intake Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2006, 08:45 PM

Newbie Intake Question

I have a 04 6spd, Im thinking of putting a intake on, The only thing im scared of is fkin up my enigne, example-Cold air intake, if I hit a puddle of water That **** will fk my enigne up. Are there any "safe intakes" or some better then others.

Also something that can give me an incrase in horsepower not just sound

Thanks

Sorry for the possible repost
Old 03-30-2006, 10:56 PM

Unless you are drive through deep water you will not have any problems. The filter is nicely tucked away.
Old 03-30-2006, 11:06 PM
dot dot dot ...

What's an intake? ...
Old 03-31-2006, 03:13 AM

that would be cai
Old 03-31-2006, 03:56 AM

my advice, get the fujita. as far as i know we don't have a single person on here that has hydrolocked their engine. just don't be stupid and you'll be fine.
Old 03-31-2006, 05:42 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Okay maybe this will help.Yesterday while meeting with KUBLKMAX here in Kansas we had super hard rain and hail...BOO.HAIL!......but anyways we drove from shop to shop in it and i have the Fujita CAI........LOVIN it....no problems no water lock not nuthin. I was a little hesitant to get back on the highway to go home in the storm but it did just fine. So in a nut shell..DONT WORRY BOUT IT!!!...Like Maxmale said...."just dont be stupid" meaning dont put yourself or you ride in the danger of a 2ft puddle or anything like that.
Hope this helps NOOB!!

Keep Krusin!
Chef
Old 03-31-2006, 06:39 AM
Nations 1st 6th Gen Turbo

Originally Posted by djfris
I have a 04 6spd, Im thinking of putting a intake on, The only thing im scared of is fkin up my enigne, example-Cold air intake, if I hit a puddle of water That **** will fk my enigne up. Are there any "safe intakes" or some better then others.

Thanks

Unless I missed it, I have not read a single post by any 6th Gen member regardless of the brand CAI installed who ever got water in their engine through the intake.

My Injen CAI was my first mod over 2 years ago and I have driven over puddles, through downpours, etc and have had ZERO problems...

Just remember, it's a Car, not a Submarine!

And before you ask, it will NOT void your Warranty either...
Old 03-31-2006, 06:45 AM

Originally Posted by chernmax
Unless I missed it, I have not read a single post by any 6th Gen member regardless of the brand CAI installed who ever got water in their engine through the intake.

My Injen CAI was my first mod over 2 years ago and I have driven over puddles, through downpours, etc and have had ZERO problems...

And before you ask, it will NOT void your Warranty either...
Funny you say that Chern about the Warranty thing, because i was at both my local dealers and asked the service manager about that and they said it would void the warranty, even if it was Nismo CAI and THEY installed it.. crazy?!

I asked a few techs as well since i'm getting some warranty work done on my ride, and they mentioned "nothing is really in stone on the topic, but if your going in for service just remove the CAI just to be safe"

I spose it comes down to the dealership/service manager......
Old 03-31-2006, 07:23 AM
Nations 1st 6th Gen Turbo

Originally Posted by majestic_maxi
Funny you say that Chern about the Warranty thing, because i was at both my local dealers and asked the service manager about that and they said it would void the warranty, even if it was Nismo CAI and THEY installed it.. crazy?!

I asked a few techs as well since i'm getting some warranty work done on my ride, and they mentioned "nothing is really in stone on the topic, but if your going in for service just remove the CAI just to be safe"

I spose it comes down to the dealership/service manager......
No bust on you, however your stealership is full of ****. The stealership would have to prove that your CAI was the cause of any warranty problem. If you went to a dealership and they denied you warranty work because of a CAI, I would tell the service manager point blank I am filing a complaint against his dealership for not honoring your factory warranty with Nissan Corporation.

I have had warranty work done on my ride twice, the first time the dealer tried that he backed down after I told them I would file a complaint.

1-800-NISSAN-1
Option 7
wait for the next menu options
Option 4

For both of these have your Vin# ready
Old 03-31-2006, 07:36 AM

Originally Posted by chernmax
No bust on you, however your stealership is full of ****. The stealership would have to prove that your CAI was the cause of any warranty problem. If you went to a dealership and they denied you warranty work because of a CAI, I would tell the service manager point blank I am filing a complaint against his dealership for not honoring your factory warranty with Nissan Corporation.

I have had warranty work done on my ride twice, the first time the dealer tried that he backed down after I told them I would file a complaint.

1-800-NISSAN-1
Option 7
wait for the next menu options
Option 4

For both of these have your Vin# ready
Nothing personal taken Thanks for the info Chern....

I've had multiple records opened with Nissan Consumer Affairs over other concerns, but not for a CAI as i don't have one yet. I figured i'd try to avoid the pain and suffering of dealing with NCA and ask first before I installed one just to make sure (probably my first mistake was asking) it wouldn't void anything. All the threads about warranty questions I was hesitant to throw one on because of it and not to mention my excessive amount of visits to my dealerships and phone calls to Nissan over other issues.

It would seem kind of odd that Nissan would void a warranty for something they sell, and especially install . It's sad that my Regional Rep knows me well from other issues that don't get taken care of because of answers i get/denial of warranty work i get from my local dealerships.....
Old 03-31-2006, 08:31 AM

Originally Posted by djfris

Thanks

If you're that concerned about it, I would just get a warm-air intake like the Berk. You'd have to practically submerge the whole front end of your car to hydrolock the motor.
Old 03-31-2006, 08:40 AM
SuPeRmOd

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=413817
Old 03-31-2006, 10:26 AM
Out of Order . . .

Also, if you are worried about taking the car for a swim, you can get the Nismo intake which comes with a bypass valve to prevent water from entering the engine. I have one for sale in the classifieds if you are interested.
Old 03-31-2006, 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by az02se
Also, if you are worried about taking the car for a swim, you can get the Nismo intake which comes with a bypass valve to prevent water from entering the engine. I have one for sale in the classifieds if you are interested.
How well does the bypass work? And why are you selling yours? And, this may be a stupid question, but does hydrolocking completely destroy the engine or just stall it (or does it depend on the amount of water, etc)?

Thanks
Old 03-31-2006, 03:29 PM

where do I get that fujita intake or is the Nismo better with the bypass
Old 03-31-2006, 04:11 PM

Curious, how do our stock intakes keep from getting water in it? I mean, the front air scoop must always get water going into it just by simply driving through heavy rain, what keeps this water from going into the intake?
Old 03-31-2006, 08:33 PM
Out of Order . . .

Originally Posted by Monotaur
How well does the bypass work? And why are you selling yours? And, this may be a stupid question, but does hydrolocking completely destroy the engine or just stall it (or does it depend on the amount of water, etc)?

Thanks
The bypass, when needed, works very well. It just opens a new path for the air to come in. I am selling mine because I was trying to make it fit on a 5.5 gen and was unable to move the battery far enough out of the way (short of relocating it elsewhere.) Lastly, hydrolocking can completely destroy parts of the engine, such as breaking/cracking pistons, bending rods, etc. In these cases you would need a full bottom end rebuild.
Old 03-31-2006, 08:35 PM
Out of Order . . .

Originally Posted by Killah Kane
Curious, how do our stock intakes keep from getting water in it? I mean, the front air scoop must always get water going into it just by simply driving through heavy rain, what keeps this water from going into the intake?
The stock intake has a U shaped peice just before the air box. At the base of this is a hole which allows water to drain out before it reaches the air filter.
Old 03-31-2006, 08:38 PM
Out of Order . . .

Short of taking your car swimming (I.E. large puddles of fairly deep water) the bypass is not really necessary. As long as you are careful, you should be fine. I am not familiar with the fujita intake, the Nismo just caught my eye because it was all black, not
Old 04-08-2006, 06:17 PM

Pertinent Questions...

Whaddup ya'll. I just purchased a Maxima SE about two months ago and stuff. Now I have been reading up on all the comments from the blog. What I would like to know is why arent the smaller bulb lights on the headlights on? Are they the fog lights, because they do have bulbs, but I saw on a picture on here they were on. Can anyone let me know about that?

Also, this may seem intangible and ludacris now, but has anyone even thought about tryin to get the skyview roof to open and close? It has been on my mind and I am wondering if that is even possible. Also, the LED light upgrade was very interesting, but has anyone found someone closer like in the south? You know us country boys dont like goin up there ;-)

Another thing, I saw the pictures of the Xenarc computer and monitor... does this computer interfere with the regular driver information screen and steering wheel mounted controls from the factory?

Old 04-08-2006, 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by Propa Teknique
What I would like to know is why arent the smaller bulb lights on the headlights on? Are they the fog lights, because they do have bulbs, but I saw on a picture on here they were on. Can anyone let me know about that?
Yes, they're fog lights.
Old 04-08-2006, 09:36 PM

I prefer the Stillen non cold air intake cuz its easier to clean the filter. I had a CAI in my Spec V and it was a pain to clean.
Old 04-09-2006, 05:05 PM

I drove 4 hours in non stop heavy rain to the SEMA show this weekend in PA. Had no problems at all. I have the Fujita cold air intake.
Old 04-09-2006, 05:21 PM

Fujita sounds like dragon ball jk Yea fujita is the way to go
Old 04-11-2006, 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by Kramer2k
Yes, they're fog lights.
Thanks Kramer... So they must be burn out huh?
Old 04-11-2006, 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by maxmale
my advice, get the fujita. as far as i know we don't have a single person on here that has hydrolocked their engine. just don't be stupid and you'll be fine.

Cai owner here. Here's a story. Was driving to my destination ( about a 3 hour drive in the pouring rain. Car ran strong, but when I headed off the highway and got to my first traffic light, the car had a rough idle at a stop were it almost felt like she was gonna stall out. So you'll know when you get water up in your engine. I did, and she was fine just had to dry up a bit.