6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Cattman Exhaust w/Resonator Video

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2006, 01:05 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Cattman Exhaust w/Resonator Video

I recently purchased a Cattman Exhaust system with the resonator option, as well as a set of Progress springs; already had the Progress sway bar.

Car handles beautifully; much better than the stock springs. Immediately noticeable.

If anyone is considering purchasing from Cattman Performance, I would highly recommend it. Brian Catts was the one to answer the phone and take my order. Outstanding customer service from the beginning to the end. Highly impressive.

Anyway, below is the address. Videos are 2.25mb and 3mb. Let me know what you guys think of the sound. The videos are before and after exhaust installation. Only other mod is Injen CAI. The exhaust is low, mean, and viscious below 3k rpm, above 3k rpm the CAI rips open and the exhaust mellows. Kind of like the growl before the roar. I'll try to get some video of full throttle; the video here is only half...they are to show volume levels at daily normal driving. stationary shots are @ 4ft from the exhaust tip, motion shots were taken from center of console, and passenger seat headrest. orig=2min, cattman=3min long. sorry if they bore you; and apologies for the dirty car. I promise to wash it.

http://home.insightbb.com/~kstraumins/index.html
Old 04-18-2006, 01:57 PM
my rear view mirrors flap like a f-ing bird

thats what I'm talking about, nice growl... don't sound loud at all, but do you have an intake?
Old 04-18-2006, 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by Tek-Niq
thats what I'm talking about, nice growl... don't sound loud at all, but do you have an intake?
From the webpage:

Additional modifications include Injen CAI,
Old 04-18-2006, 02:01 PM

NIIIIIIICE !!!
Old 04-18-2006, 02:14 PM

I had the Magnaflows installed on Thursday and it sounds exactly like that. Mine is way too loud for me. The droning sound is overwhelming under load. Once the pipes heat up it gets even louder. Of course it sounds mean and good to everyone outside of the car but inside it's like a drum and will give you a headache after driving through DC traffic for an hour coming home from work. The factory resonator will be coming back on as soon as I can get an appointment to get it done. I dont know how people stand it. I had the Magnaflow mufflers on my 05 Max with factory resonator and it was good enough for me with an automatic. For those of you who like a deep tone, you won't go wrong here.
Old 04-18-2006, 02:19 PM
Old Maxima Legend

video1 :

armrest cam was cool ! very quiet exhaust setup (stock)

video2: much deeper tone, very nice at idle.

driving...wow ! totally transformed your car didnt it, i would be very happy with this setup and the external styling of the 6th gen, deep exhaust note but clean and classy .. just like the 6th gen.

great video and excellent selection !
Old 04-18-2006, 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by viguera
From the webpage:

good eye.... I didn't read it lol...
Old 04-18-2006, 02:24 PM
KC's FINEST

Originally Posted by 3.5 Lover
I had the Magnaflows installed on Thursday and it sounds exactly like that. Mine is way too loud for me. The droning sound is overwhelming under load. Once the pipes heat up it gets even louder. Of course it sounds mean and good to everyone outside of the car but inside it's like a drum and will give you a headache after driving through DC traffic for an hour coming home from work. The factory resonator will be coming back on as soon as I can get an appointment to get it done. I dont know how people stand it. I had the Magnaflow mufflers on my 05 Max with factory resonator and it was good enough for me with an automatic. For those of you who like a deep tone, you won't go wrong here.
Ive had the magnaflows for awhile now and they really havent gotten that much louder. I also had the factory resonator removed at install, drove away from the shop, turned around and had a magnaflow res. put in. Without any res. I couldnt even hear myself! You do know that once the factory res. is removed it cant be reinstalled, youll have to buy an aftermarket piece. But it makes a world of difference...
Old 04-18-2006, 03:01 PM
Not for rookies!!

Wow good post, thanks for making these videos.
Old 04-18-2006, 04:23 PM

@ KC; how come you cant reinstall the factory Res once removed? I do have a res installed now that is stainless throughout. It is the same with almost as the stock pipe and about 16" long. It is straight through and it sounds like no resonator is installed at all. My car sounds like a stock car with no mufflers and a straight pipe from the engine to the back. Not quite that loud but loud. I set alarms off on my block when I drive down the street early in the morning.
Old 04-19-2006, 12:49 AM

Try putting on headers on that setup, it'll get 10-times louder. I have XS/SSAC Headers, with a 27" long resonator and no muffler, just tips, on my setup and at start-up, I turn heads. The car sounds just beastly from anywhere from 2k to 6k. But hey, I'm a performance junkie, I love that sound, be it loud or not to others.

3.5 Lover: I love doing that on some of the more.. "rich" streets around here. Most of their cars have alarms and such, so I give 'em a nice 4k salute and.. "boop boop.. wee. wee. wee. wee. wee." Lol. So much fun sometimes.
Old 04-19-2006, 03:14 AM
Going Ginsu

You've got a Cattman exhaust? For an '05?
Old 04-19-2006, 05:31 AM

thanks for the complements. I can't imagine how loud it would be w/o the resonator. It is perfect for me and my kids love it. Apparently now I drive them to school in a race car. Of course the wife hasn't had the pleasure of being a passenger yet.
Old 04-19-2006, 07:07 AM

Thats sounds pretty cool! The cai gives me wood, I cant wait to instal mine in a couple more weeks. Has anyone done the exhaust with the stock resonator? If so how loud was it? I still want it to have a class to it (I use my car for biz and I wouldnt want them to think I am just some big kid even know I am) Just a little more tone would be cool.
Old 04-19-2006, 08:32 AM

The mufflers with stock resonator sounds good but not nearly as loud as the magnaflow resonator. The stock resonator is huge and muffles the sound a lot. I am waiting on KC to give me an answer as to why you cant re-install the factory resonator once you take it off. My installer says he can do it.
Old 04-19-2006, 03:00 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I love your setup man. It sounds mean and business like! I kept my mufflers but removed the stock resonator and had custom pipes fitted on. I have an AEM CAI and UDP. Next engine mod will be CE Y pipe. Has anyone noticed a sound change from the stock Y pipe?

My car scares people when I floor it from 2 to 3 rd while in a tunnel...I love it!

How old am I again?
Old 04-19-2006, 04:27 PM

Oh my....
I'm getting my wallet out right now to buy that. I've been holding off. But now its time. That sounded awsome. Thanks for the vids.
Old 04-19-2006, 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by xorbitman
How old am I again?
big 5-0..........lol...
Old 04-19-2006, 06:28 PM

sounds really good dood....I had my resonator removed from stock pipes, then threw on a pair of greddy mufflers, at first I HATED IT and either wanted to take it off or quiet it down. Honestly Ive had it for about 2 months now, and i really dont even hear it anymore lol.

Nice work.
Old 04-20-2006, 10:20 AM

i've been wondering what the difference would be in replacing the bent section of pipe with a straight one as opposed to buying the whole greddy/cattman exhaust - with or without new mufflers
Old 04-20-2006, 02:52 PM

If you get just the Greddy mufflers it won't be as loud because that resonator on our cars is huge and muffles a lot of the sound that you would get with the aftermarket resonator or no resonator. The experts here will let you know about that crimped section in the rear and front of the exhaust. I cannot see from what I saw in that pipe where you would gain any HP from just replacing those two sections of pipe but again this is not my area of specialty. Guys here know more than me, I am just a student taking notes.
Old 04-21-2006, 01:30 PM

Thanks for posting this sound samples, I bought the Magnaflow's and was wondering what different sounds were available on this car. It sounds good, but I'm amazed at how different your catmans sound in contrast to the Magnaflow's.

I'll see if I can't get my hands on a digvid-cam. I by far prefer the magnaflow's after hearing your catman's, large sound difference for sure. Catman's sound like another good match for the Max though.

I know a guy with Flowmasters on his 05 Max. . . , the sound dose not match the car *at all*.

PS: Don't bother getting muffler's without removing that resonator, it's massive and dose a *VERY* good job of making the Maxima quiet.
Old 04-21-2006, 01:52 PM

can any one explaing me something about this??/ good?? or bad??
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NISSA...56773263QQrdZ1
Old 04-21-2006, 02:08 PM

00-03

One problem with this exhaust is that it is for a 00-03 not 04 and would be a single exhaust which I am thinking would not work for a 04.

There are 04-06 Greddy knockoffs on e-bay check this

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/STAIN...spagenameZWDVW

or this one

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Nissa...spagenameZWDVW

Check this thread.

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=459411

Stay cool!

04WHITESE
Old 04-21-2006, 04:05 PM

I'm not sure why you guys bother with these bolt on's.

Most muffler shops are pretty versitile. It cost me 30 bucks to cat back and 300 flat for the muffeler's and install.
Old 04-21-2006, 08:29 PM

some of those crimps are there for a reason....our cars need some backpressure...carefull with your experimenting or you will end up losing alot of off the line power....trust me, it happened to me, but i fixed it.
Old 04-21-2006, 10:19 PM

Originally Posted by 3.5 Lover
If you get just the Greddy mufflers it won't be as loud because that resonator on our cars is huge and muffles a lot of the sound that you would get with the aftermarket resonator or no resonator. The experts here will let you know about that crimped section in the rear and front of the exhaust. I cannot see from what I saw in that pipe where you would gain any HP from just replacing those two sections of pipe but again this is not my area of specialty. Guys here know more than me, I am just a student taking notes.

Dude i need to find you around town, because i wanna hear your car, I want two of whatever made his car sound like that. By the way is this Trey??
Old 04-22-2006, 12:37 AM
VIP

I'll definately be doing Cattman's setup for the 6th gen. Fo sho.
Old 04-22-2006, 08:09 AM

I was under the impression that the mufflers used in the Cattman system were the Magnaflow's. Either way, I enjoy the sound; car runs a little smoother, no noticeable gain in hp; but then again I didn't purchase it for any 'claimed' hp gains.

thanks again for the comments. I'll have to have sometime take video of my brother and I racing at the track in a couple weeks. His 05 Altima vs my 05 Max.
Old 04-22-2006, 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by straumi
I was under the impression that the mufflers used in the Cattman system were the Magnaflow's.
they are, what makes you think otherwize?
Old 04-23-2006, 12:25 AM
.org extraordinaire

The only thing a hi/mid-end car like the Maxima deserves is............

REMUS!!!!

I saw 5th gen at my dealership with a single remus Oval muffy on. Damn did it sound sweet. Same 3.5VQ as ours but only one muffler. I asked the rep if he had a full cat back but the guy said the only thing that was isntalled was the muffler and aftermarket lights...... whatever that means.

Anywhoo, I think i might invest in some qual remus mufflers and go it from there.

Then again mufflers might not be needed..................... LOL TEK-NIQ i think i found a place that does "piping"............ see what I'm saying?

Kam
Old 04-23-2006, 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by kamilkluczewski
Then again mufflers might not be needed..................... LOL TEK-NIQ i think i found a place that does "piping"............ see what I'm saying?

Kam
hell yea, I have a name of a business that has done work for my dyno shop, I'll give them a call on monday for sure..

keep me updated..