6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

anyone cover their car up with a car cover

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2006, 11:06 AM

anyone cover their car up with a car cover

was watching the series 24 today and seen a 6th gen maxima (red SE) when jack was making his escape. the guy had it covered up in a parking lot. jack found the key fob hit the button and the alarm chirped. uncovered the car and drove away. was suprised to see a nissan when it seems like they have a contract with ford becuase everyhing in the show is either a expedition, crown victoria, or lincoln. was wondering who keeps a car cover on their car and does it hurt the paint. i know the one for my wifes car nissan wants like 189 but the dealer said he would give us a discount on it. is it a good idea to use a car cover on it. thought that it would hurt the finish and hold heat messing up the interior. but i know it will keep the sun out
Old 04-22-2006, 01:00 PM
Nations 1st 6th Gen Turbo

I use a garage...

On a serious note, covering a car is always a good idea...
Old 04-22-2006, 03:30 PM
my rear view mirrors flap like a f-ing bird

I keep mines covered if its going to snow that day or so, it is so much easier to take the snow off when its covered, or I'm going to a auto show. I'll clean the car the day before and cover it, so I don't have to clean it the same morning or so...

but I do own a cover for sure, very helpfull..
Old 04-22-2006, 05:44 PM

I own a cover also. I work in NY and I take the train up on Mondays and back home on Fridays. I park in a lit garage and I cover it. It keeps dirt, dust and everything else off the car. You should see some of the Benz's and BMWs in the garage uncovered. They look like crap with all the junk sitting on them. I can't imagine not having the cover.
Old 04-22-2006, 10:52 PM

im a college student bought my car cover for $25 at costco... works great freakin rained like anything today and not a drop on the car =)
Old 04-22-2006, 11:22 PM

Having a climate-controlled garage where my Maxima spends 90% of its time, I don't use a cover. It the weather is predicted (or looks) to be threatning, I stay home (one of the perks of retirement).

If I had to park outside, I would find one of those 'cushy' covers that would keep hail from damaging the paint. We get hail here far too often.

With any car cover, make sure the inside is soft, so as not to affect the car finish, and don't tighten the cover too tightly around the lower edge of the car, as some ventilation helps reduce the tendency for moisture to be trappped and cause rust.

If a Maxima is going to be left in a 'dirty' situation for days on end (like jayMAX22's car), a cover sounds perfect.
Old 04-23-2006, 06:05 AM
mwh

Originally Posted by dirtyo2000
was watching the series 24 today and seen a 6th gen maxima (red SE) when jack was making his escape. the guy had it covered up in a parking lot. jack found the key fob hit the button and the alarm chirped. uncovered the car and drove away. was suprised to see a nissan when it seems like they have a contract with ford becuase everyhing in the show is either a expedition, crown victoria, or lincoln. was wondering who keeps a car cover on their car and does it hurt the paint. i know the one for my wifes car nissan wants like 189 but the dealer said he would give us a discount on it. is it a good idea to use a car cover on it. thought that it would hurt the finish and hold heat messing up the interior. but i know it will keep the sun out
I would be careful using any cover on dirty/dusty paint or on a windy day. Good chance you will get swirl marks and do more damage than anything. My Max is garaged and I don't see a need for one. On my Harley I have two covers; one is light weight and breathable for use in the garage and the other is for outside weather (cotton padding and fitted) that I use on road trips and it has caused some swirl marks on my otherwise perfect stock paint.
Old 04-23-2006, 07:44 AM
GrandPa

I used to have my car parked in a garage. I finally was able to get a spot where I reside which is outside. I only put the cover on when I have the car detailed and will be going away in a couple of days, when I know its going to snow or will not be using the car for a week or so. I dust the car every morning when the cover is not being used.
Old 04-23-2006, 10:49 AM

thanks for the replies. the car is garage when not being driven guess the question was asked wrong but still explained i love this site. going to get one for when she goes places and the car will be parked for a while. like theatrical plays or where there will be a lot of dust in the air and noone will be around for awhile. going to the dealer tomorrow and see what kind of deal he has and how special there custom made cover is. i hate covers that tell you what kind of car it is but i have no choice when it comes to theres. just something about everyone knowing whats under the cover that bothers me. a friend of mine has one and said that someone stole the lights out of his max. he believes they crawled under the cover and use it to hide them why they worked the car over. guess its a wild world out here but hey i guess thats what insurance is for. ill get one for her and call it a birthday gift. thanks all