6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Rattling sound during acceleration - any thoughts??

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2005, 05:05 PM

quick fix for those with the exhaust bracket rattle.

i ordered my new brackets yesterday and they will be here on tuesday, but i could not wait. so i just used a washer to stabalize the pieces of the bracket and voila, no more rattles. just thought id share.
Old 07-16-2005, 05:05 PM

oh and by the way both of my brackets were broke.
Old 07-16-2005, 05:29 PM
GrandPa

Originally Posted by maxmale
i ordered my new brackets yesterday and they will be here on tuesday, but i could not wait. so i just used a washer to stabalize the pieces of the bracket and voila, no more rattles. just thought id share.
I have the same setup as you and have had no problems. I will remember this fix if it rattles. Thanks Warren
Old 07-16-2005, 07:21 PM

heat shield!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

the brackets are NOT the items that caused my rattle.
it was the heat sheild over the exhaust manifold closest to the fire wall.

what i did was removed the entire piece by way of force. it's only tack welded in one spot but shows signs of three tack welds.
the reason WHY this piece is rattling because one of the welded holes has a sharp end on the other side of the heat shield.

if you do NOT want to get rid of the whole heat shield for fear of god knows what. then bend the piece to the floor as FAR as possible so that no points of the shield besides the welded part are to hit the exhaust manifold at ANY point in time.

i'll post a picture as soon as i get my digi cam back. i hope this helps atleast someone understand what i'm talking about without pics... lolz
Old 07-17-2005, 12:05 AM
GrandPa

I understand what you are saying. Warren
Old 07-17-2005, 02:41 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Rear Heat sheild

I have got the same rattle which occures only on certain types of bumpy roads and only at slow speeds , I tracked it down to my rear heat shields near the Fuel tank and bent them around for a bit and it went away but then came back about a week later .. going to put it up on a hoist to see what the final fix is .. Our pipe work is slightly different but has in common a hugh amount of heat sheilding allmost along the entire length of the pipe work...
Old 07-17-2005, 02:52 AM

Originally Posted by nick wolff
heat shield!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(previously posted in another thread, but decided it would be more important as an individual one...)

the brackets are NOT the items that caused my rattle.
it was the heat sheild over the exhaust manifold closest to the fire wall.

what i did was removed the entire piece by way of force. it's only tack welded in one spot but shows signs of three tack welds.
the reason WHY this piece is rattling because one of the welded holes has a sharp end on the other side of the heat shield.

if you do NOT want to get rid of the whole heat shield for fear of god knows what. then bend the piece to the floor as FAR as possible so that no points of the shield besides the welded part are to hit the exhaust manifold at ANY point in time.

i'll post a picture as soon as i get my digi cam back. i hope this helps atleast someone who might understand what i'm talking about... lolz
nick,

i found that the rattle in my car comes from the aftermarket intake. underneath the berk short ram intake is a hollow box, the one that the stock air filter is attached to moves around and creates the rattling or clicking sound you hear. that was my problem, maybe its that and not the heat sheild.. just my 02
Old 07-17-2005, 05:50 AM
Banned

We are all talking about the faint buzzing sound from outside the car when throttle is applied right?
Old 07-17-2005, 05:51 AM
Banned

I pulled the heat shield around the exhaust off my 96 taurus because it got caught on something and was falling apart...and yes I had to rip the damn thing off by force
Old 07-17-2005, 03:14 PM

i was saying that that's what happened with my car and that's what i did to fix it.
it may not apply to everyone. but for those who have an acceleration rattle at any RPM range (mine was 1500 and 2500) with their cars, this might be of use to someone.
Old 07-18-2005, 10:47 AM
Nations 1st 6th Gen Turbo

Although the problem fix may work for some and your fix to date does not have any noted problems as a result of the heat shield removal, heat shields are a protection item to prevent heat from burning up something (wiring harness, electronic modules, connectors, plastic pieces, etc).

Removal for car use during short daily sprints may not produce any immediate problems, however make a good road trip and the heat generated may just burn something up and leave you stranded in the middle of no mans land. I would not recommend removing them, however find a way to secure them better...
Old 03-28-2006, 06:56 PM

Noises from my engine....Help!

I was driving to work today, and i got to the highway and punched it. During the acceleration i herd a strong vibrating noise from my lower engine bay. Every time i punched it the noise kept coming up. while driving home i got the same thing. at the stop light i put the car in Neutral and stepped on the gas to see if i could replicate the same noise. It sounded very faint but not the same as in when i accelerated. I'm not sure what the heck this is. When i got home i put the car in park and pushed the gas a little more but this time with my head out the window, still faint, but this time i herd a new sound. Every time i let the gas go a sucking noise like in a CAI would do but softer, not sure if thats Normal. Keep in mind my car is all stock. The only conclusion i can come up with so far is that the noise can really be herd when in high rpms especially when the car downshifts to accelerate faster. once it shift up and rpms go down, you cant hear it anymore. I hope you guys have some ideas about what this is???????
Old 03-29-2006, 03:45 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Heat shield on your cat might be loose.
Old 03-29-2006, 05:08 AM

i have been noticing a noise coming from my engine as well, at 4000rpm and above i get a strange sucking noise and it is a high piched noise not like that associated with an intake, sounds to me like it is coming from the im.
Old 03-29-2006, 10:06 AM

LIke the previous poster stated, might be the heat shield. I had a noise upon acceleration and it turned out to be that.
Old 03-29-2006, 10:10 AM
Nations 1st 6th Gen Turbo

Originally Posted by CanadianMoFo
Heat shield on your cat might be loose.
Agree, my initial guess also......
Old 03-29-2006, 04:52 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I have a squeeking noise wich I no to be the electoronic motor mount which have allready been replaced by the dealer once, it sounds like a bird chirping when I give it a little gas. Also have the rattle sound again, and creacking when I stop hopefully thats just a lube job. Oh and while i'm rambling im pretty sure I have the water in the heating core issue. Needless to say my dealer is going to be busy fixing. Sorry if I hijacked the thread I just needed to vent.
Old 03-29-2006, 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by phips25
I have a squeeking noise wich I no to be the electoronic motor mount which have allready been replaced by the dealer once, it sounds like a bird chirping when I give it a little gas. Also have the rattle sound again, and creacking when I stop hopefully thats just a lube job. Oh and while i'm rambling im pretty sure I have the water in the heating core issue. Needless to say my dealer is going to be busy fixing. Sorry if I hijacked the thread I just needed to vent.
phips25, did the squeaking noise happen when you gave it just a little gas, and at around 1000 RPM (both revving up and revving down)? Mine does the same thing, and I'm at 35.5K miles... wondering if I should take it to the dealership for this or if this is normal? If you don't mind me asking, what exactly did they say was wrong?

Thanks!
Old 03-30-2006, 09:15 AM

Is your sound kind of like a rattling noise, like sheet metal or tin rattling??
Im curious b/cause im experiencing the same w/ my Max. Brought to the dealer, they did a minor inspection and of course they couldnt replicate the noise.

My noise usually occurs b/tween 1500 - 2000 RPM's at 20-40 MPH. But more frequent when car has been sitting for a few hours.

Hope you find the solution to your noise, and it will help me out.
Good luck!
Old 03-30-2006, 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by silvermouse5150
Is your sound kind of like a rattling noise, like sheet metal or tin rattling??
Im curious b/cause im experiencing the same w/ my Max. Brought to the dealer, they did a minor inspection and of course they couldnt replicate the noise.

My noise usually occurs b/tween 1500 - 2000 RPM's at 20-40 MPH. But more frequent when car has been sitting for a few hours.

Hope you find the solution to your noise, and it will help me out.
Good luck!
This is most definately a loose heat shield. A lot of us have had this problem in the past (mine rattled at around 2200 RPM).
Old 03-30-2006, 10:32 AM

Thank you Monotaur

Originally Posted by Monotaur
This is most definately a loose heat shield. A lot of us have had this problem in the past (mine rattled at around 2200 RPM).
Thanks so much, I could totally see this as something that would never be located.

Thank goodness its nothing major.
Old 04-01-2006, 12:26 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Yes mine is at very low rpms when you give it just a little gas. Originaly my dealer dinied anything was wrong but I had the general manager come out for a listen and he heard the same noise. They told me it was an electronic motor mount and that they replaced it well its back again. Just to clarify mine is a very quiet squeek chirping sound. Also the have told me my heat shield is fine but I still have a rattling noise. I guess Ill bite the bullet and take it back again.
Old 04-02-2006, 08:15 PM

hey guys, thanks for the responses, i have been very busy so haven't been on lately. I'm taking the car in on Thursday to the stealership. Me and my friend tried to replicate the sound while in park, it seemed like the noise was coming from the rear of the car. we will see. Also i have had that bird chirp as well, and today my radio started to act stupid flipping back and forth on stations. This things going nuts. Hope the stealership helps. Ill keep you guys posted.
Old 04-03-2006, 06:54 AM
Banned

It sounds like an A/C unit kicking on....Im not ripping the heat sheild off though, it dosent bother me now that i know what it is.
Old 04-20-2006, 12:37 PM

OK update and solution found, I took the car in like 3 weeks ago, and they found tiny pebbles and gravel on top of my heat shield, how they got there i have not idea, i drive only on reg roads. Anyways that of course did not help my problem the noise came back after 20min. But what i did notice was that the noise would only start up after i drove the car for about a 1-2 or until the engine warmed up. I went back to the stealership and took a drive with my service tech, really nice guy. Well every time i punched it or even pushed on the gas a little the rattling metallic sound would start up. The service tech was puzzled but had an idea. The sound was very difficult to locate but we both agreed after a few miles of driving that it was coming from under the car in the center. He said there is a exhaust pipe located in that area and he would check there. Well after a hour he came back and said the ring that is around that pipe had rusted up pretty bad and some how broke and got lodged between two exhaust pipes. He said he hasn't seen any other problems like that but said he wouldn't replace the ring because he fears it will happen again, and said there should be no problem with out it. Is that right ? well anyways the car seems to be doing just fine now and if the rest of you guys have this problem then Nissan should do a recall, because this things rusts up and breaks.
Old 04-27-2006, 12:10 PM

Rattling sound during acceleration - any thoughts??

My Max is making a rattling sound - sounds like sheet metal rattling.

-Occurs more frequently when the car has been sitting for awhile (like 3-4 hours or more) and when the A/C is on.

-Only happens when im in Drive and during acceleration, but not all the time. Most frequently occurs between 20-40 MPH @ 1500-2000 RPM. And when im going over 80MPH and i accelerate.

Brought the Max in for Oil and lube and ask them to investigate noise, of course they couldnt duplicate it.
Will bring back for 15K service, and maybe theyll put more effort into it since they have to inspect other areas as well.

Others have said a Loose Heat Shield. But i was wondering if there was any other direction I should point the Mechanic to.
Old 04-27-2006, 04:19 PM

i really cant think of anything else other then heat sheild...those damn things always do that lol.
Old 04-27-2006, 04:23 PM

I just one click at acceleration... not sure why but looks like it can be similar issue.
Old 04-27-2006, 05:17 PM

it's your exhaust brackets. cost to replace them is like 15$.
Old 04-27-2006, 05:18 PM

your somewhat close, if you drive down here i' can fix it for you if your mechanicly declined.
Old 04-27-2006, 06:23 PM
SuPeRmOd

how do we know if it's the heat shield or brackets? I know it has been either-or with many people. I had a hint of rattle, but caught it while accelerating from a light just tonight inbetween songs. Nice persistent "tinging". Thanks to the org I just laughed and figured "heat shield to add to the dealer list along with recalls"
Old 04-27-2006, 07:06 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Exhaust Bracket Almost sure....had it replaced (TWICE)
Old 04-27-2006, 07:08 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I got a rattle on my '04 as well, only seems to happen during the first few minutes after starting the car. Doesn't bother me enough to worry about it.
Old 04-27-2006, 07:09 PM

well either way they are both easy fixes.
Old 04-28-2006, 07:12 AM

How? I have a rattle as well.
Old 04-28-2006, 07:21 AM

Cool, good to hear that it seems like a minor issue.

Its just annoying/frustrating to hear this from a car thats only about 6 months old.

This should be covered by the Warranty correct?
Old 04-28-2006, 08:30 AM

Don't forget to look at the bracket located above the two resonators (or flex pipe) which is secured to the tranny. I had the same problem and when I crawled under the car I noticed the missing bolt. Put in a new one and problem solved.....sound drove me nuts with the windows down.
Old 04-28-2006, 10:03 AM
SuPeRmOd

Originally Posted by silvermouse5150
Thanks so much, I could totally see this as something that would never be located.

Thank goodness its nothing major.
just curious as to why you made a new thread about something you already knew about?
Old 04-28-2006, 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by NismoMax80
just curious as to why you made a new thread about something you already knew about?
I created a new thread, because i wanted to see if there were any other areas that may be causing the noise and have the mechanic look at that also.

In case it isnt the Heat shield, i could totally see the dealership only checking the heat shield, and then doing maybe a light general look around and if all was okay they would just shrug their shoulders and say they couldnt locate it. So, I was trying to get other areas for the mechanic to look at.
Old 04-28-2006, 09:40 PM

yes it is the exhaust bracket, i didnt even bother to get mine replaced because its going to happen again. Any thoughts on why i should keep the bracket on???

Quick Reply: Rattling sound during acceleration - any thoughts??