6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Help with Rattle

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2006, 02:07 PM

Help with Rattle

Ok so I've heard about some people havin rattles comin from the engine bay. Well I have that problem too and yes I did get my heat shield replaced as it was a recall issue. The dealer even changed the header and Y-pipe but the damn rattle is still there at around 1700 RPM and 2700 RPM, whether the car is hot or cold. the fixes didnt change it one bit.

So my question is, do you guys know what it might be? the rattle sounds like its comin from under the engine bay sorta and its somewhat louder than the engine when it hits.

Your help is greatly appreciated.
Old 05-09-2006, 02:23 PM
dla
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by SmokeNismo
and yes I did get my heat shield replaced as it was a recall issue.
RECALL, what heat shield recall?

Have you checked the catalyst support bracket? Could be cracked.

Maybe an engine mount?
Old 05-09-2006, 02:26 PM

I havent checked that but I bet that my dealer did because they did so much stuff under there.

and about that recall its on www.nissnanews.org i think
Old 05-09-2006, 03:21 PM
dla

I havent checked that but I bet that my dealer did because they did so much stuff under there.

and about that recall its on www.nissnanews.org i think

No that link does not work but www.nissannews.com does, but I found no mention of this recall. And www.nissanusa.com also has no mention of this recall. And www.nissanhelp.com also has no mention of this recall.

Are you sure this was a recall or did the dealership just perform a tsb?

Does it do it all the time? Like in the garage with the hood open and car in P or N while at 1700-2700 RPM? Maybe belt tension or a belt itself?
Old 05-09-2006, 03:34 PM

I dont think it does it when in P or N though im not sure. only time ive noticed it is when driving. And about that heat shield issue, I'm sorry its not a recall, but its under "bulletins" on nissanhelp.com. heres the link:

http://www.nissanhelp.com/Ownership/.../NTB05-095.htm

but yea as i said, that was changed and it obviously wasnt the problem.
Old 05-10-2006, 09:04 AM

Ive had the same problem, only does it at certain sweet spots (certain MPH with a certain RPM) at numerous areas of speed and drive.

I had some people also mention Exhaust Brackets.
Old 05-10-2006, 09:17 AM
dla

I dont think it does it when in P or N though im not sure. only time ive noticed it is when driving. And about that heat shield issue, I'm sorry its not a recall, but its under "bulletins" on nissanhelp.com. heres the link:

http://www.nissanhelp.com/Ownership/.../NTB05-095.htm

but yea as i said, that was changed and it obviously wasnt the problem.

I'm very familiar with the heat shield tsb's. I just wanted to determine if Nissan had upgraded it to a recall. Thought you might have had the inside scoop . If they performed the tsb you listed, they might not have checked catalyst support bracket , which is a different tsb:

http://www.nissanhelp.com/Ownership/.../NTB05-021.htm

Check your paper work to be sure or call the service tech and ask. Or just crawl under and take a look, easy to find, but take a flash light.

Does it happen only during acceleration, or do you get it when you step on the brake pedal too? If you get it both ways then I would look into the motor mounts.
Old 05-12-2006, 09:27 AM

catalyst support bracket huh. I'll check that out. But yea it only does it during accelration. Mostly when the car is about to fullly warm up to operating temp but not quite yet. I dont think i can notice it at highway speeds also, but thats probably due to road noise being louder than it. So anyways I'll consider what you guys suggested and HOPEFULLY that works.

Thanks.
Old 05-12-2006, 12:00 PM

I had the support bracket replaced for the 2nd time today. The dealer said there is a TSB out and a new style bracket that has some reinforcement in it. Mine rattled at 2800 rpm and only when accelerating. Had it done while they were doing the lumbar recall. They still don't have the parts in to replace the sub-frame. They said they had the bushings but if the bracket breaks due to corrosion then I would be in a rental for about 6 weeks and they didn't think Nissan would want to pay for that! So when they get all the parts in then they'll do that recall.
Old 05-13-2006, 06:42 AM

catalyst support bracket huh. I'll check that out. But yea it only does it during accelration. Mostly when the car is about to fullly warm up to operating temp but not quite yet. I dont think i can notice it at highway speeds also, but thats probably due to road noise being louder than it. So anyways I'll consider what you guys suggested and HOPEFULLY that works.

Thanks.
Actually, I had a very similiar rattle - usually happened when it was cooler outside (REALLY bad when it was cold), and would usually go away after about 10-30 minutes of driving (depending on temperature). It turns out that the hood latch was loose, and as the engine compartment heated up (or if it was warm/hot outside) it would stop rattling. I had the service guys adjust my hood latch many times; the last time they said it was as far as it would go and that the hood is a bit harder to release/close, but it stopped the rattle completely.

Another symptom was that it would not rattle at all at highway speeds (maybe above 40 MPH) as I think at that speed the hood was forced down and wasn't allowed to rattle.

See if you can replicate it by going over some bumpy road. You might even be able to see the hood bounce slightly. Also, while parked see if the hood is loose - just try to lift it up slightly while it is still latched and then let it go... see if that reproduces the same sound (or very similiar since you won't be in the cabin at this point...).

Good luck and let us know.
Old 05-13-2006, 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by Monotaur
Actually, I had a very similiar rattle - usually happened when it was cooler outside (REALLY bad when it was cold), and would usually go away after about 10-30 minutes of driving (depending on temperature). It turns out that the hood latch was loose, and as the engine compartment heated up (or if it was warm/hot outside) it would stop rattling. I had the service guys adjust my hood latch many times; the last time they said it was as far as it would go and that the hood is a bit harder to release/close, but it stopped the rattle completely.

Another symptom was that it would not rattle at all at highway speeds (maybe above 40 MPH) as I think at that speed the hood was forced down and wasn't allowed to rattle.

See if you can replicate it by going over some bumpy road. You might even be able to see the hood bounce slightly. Also, while parked see if the hood is loose - just try to lift it up slightly while it is still latched and then let it go... see if that reproduces the same sound (or very similiar since you won't be in the cabin at this point...).

Good luck and let us know.
Well that seems like a valid point, but im pretty sure that the sound is comin from under the car and I've never seen the hood being loose at anytime.

Thanks for bringing that up tho.
Old 05-14-2006, 03:08 PM

Ive detected the slightest bit of rattle when I 1st start the car with the windows down and then fades away as the engine heats up .... sounds like a heat shield expanding to its heated position and then no longer rattles. I have my garbage can enclosure right next to my driveway and I can hear the "tin can rattle" sound bouncing off the enclosure. Ive heard this sound in older vehicles Ive owned and usually is a catalytic heat shield or a fire wall exhaust manifold heat shield. Im going to get it looked at on my 1st dealership oil change. what u guys think?
Old 05-15-2006, 02:07 PM

yea you should get the dealer to check it out since you're on warranty. make sure the dealer has a good service department that helps too.
Old 05-15-2006, 02:25 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Its one of two things

1. Heat shield
2. Exhaust bracket.

You have already done the heat shield so the only thing left is the exhaust bracket. Mine blew off and got lodged just above where its supposed to be at. Which is after the engine bay towards the middle of the car, its a pipe that curves upwards, not sure of the name. stealership replaced it for free. Well they didnt replace it they just got rid of the bracket and decided not to put another one on in fear of it happening again.
Old 05-15-2006, 02:31 PM

Have a look at the bracket which is located above the resonators which is secured to the tranny. Mine was missing the bold and this was driving me nuts.....new bolt = no rattle.

Something else to consider....and it was also in the same rpm range under acceleration.