6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Reallyyyyy Confused

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2006, 08:06 PM

Reallyyyyy Confused

Dont want to sound like a Pe*is but.....

I started quite a few new topics about what mods I should put on and how mods work. I got alot of mixed Answers
It seems some people say Intakes are a Waist of Money you loose torque etc.
Then the Y -pipe people say its not worth the money and it doesnt do any good for our car in terms of gains.

The cattman exhaust also no gains.

Its seems from all this the only thing worth moding in the max is the suspension and the Ecu mod which I dont even Know if that works....... I dono I just want to make it faster so I can beat my boys 02 Altima but seems everymod makes it loose some sort of torque,,,,,what to do to make it FASTER lol thanks i dono im mad confused just wanted to express my confusion.
Old 05-16-2006, 08:38 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

i still will never forget motertrends quote of the 02 v6 5 speed altima...."fastest fwd car we've ever tested".

btw does he beat you bad...by how much?
Old 05-16-2006, 08:38 PM
Nations 1st 6th Gen Turbo

OK, bolt on mods can have a positive performance affect on your ride. In particular:

CAI
Pulley
Y-Pipe
Catback

Most of these mods need each other to truly get the performance gains advertised but we have one stumbling block. The ECU. Our ECU is so adaptive the it recalibrates our bolt on's to a point that we can potentialy lose power depending on your configuration. The key is to unlock the ECU to allow the performance bolt ons to perform as designed.

Tek had done and awesome job in working with pro's to fix this. So since I have every one of the above listed mods (plus), my next logical step is the ECU upgrade to release the potential power. I truly believe my bolt on performance mods are effective but only after my ECU is remapped will I achieve the performace goal I have been hoping for...

We are not alone, every new pony car (ricer/domestic) with intelligent ECU's are having the same growing pains...
Old 05-16-2006, 08:44 PM
Newbie just Registered

ECU will enhance other mods you put on the car. Stock ECU makes counter adjustments to mods, that's why most mods shows little or no gain. To beat your boys Altima now, just reset the ECU before you run him. Just don't expect to walk all over him.
Old 05-16-2006, 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by RHMax
ECU will enhance other mods you put on the car. Stock ECU makes counter adjustments to mods, that's why most mods shows little or no gain. To beat your boys Altima now, just reset the ECU before you run him. Just don't expect to walk all over him.
Correct, disconnect the negative battery terminal for about 10 minutes, reconnect and Bam, better performance because the ECU has to relearn and calibrate. IMO not to the peak of the bolt ups but better than a stock cal...
Old 05-16-2006, 08:49 PM
Newbie just Registered

Originally Posted by chernmax
OK, bolt on mods can have a positive performance affect on your ride. In particular:

CAI
Pulley
Y-Pipe
Catback

Most of these mods need each other to truly get the performance gains advertised but we have one stumbling block. The ECU. Our ECU is so adaptive the it recalibrates our bolt on's to a point that we can potentialy lose power depending on your configuration. The key is to unlock the ECU to allow the performance bolt ons to perform as designed.

Tek had done and awesome job in working with pro's to fix this. So since I have every one of the above listed mods (plus), my next logical step is the ECU upgrade to release the potential power. I truly believe my bolt on performance mods are effective but only after my ECU is remapped will I achieve the performace goal I have been hoping for...

We are not alone, every new pony car (ricer/domestic) with intelligent ECU's are having the same growing pains...
On that note, if the weekend battle thread was open, I would have posted about how the IS350 isn't all that.
Old 05-16-2006, 09:01 PM

On that note, if the weekend battle thread was open, I would have posted about how the IS350 isn't all that.
I only know my own capabilities. However IMO an IS350 is no threat to a Max. Nice respectable car, but I feel ZERO intimidation speed wise...

More power with two powertrains

The 2006 sedan is offered with a pair of new engines, the "base" being a peppy, 2.5-liter V-6. As you'd expect, it's a technically slick powertrain, among other things introducing direct-injection to Lexus' U.S. line-up. Pumping 204-horsepower and 185 lb-ft of torque, it's offered in combination with either a new six-speed automatic with paddle-operated manual shift mode, or a six-speed stick. And you can opt for an AWD version that maintains the car's rear-drive bias.

With direct injection, gas is squirted directly into the cylinder, improving the air/fuel mix to deliver better mileage and lower emissions. Lexus promises a "substantial" boost in fuel economy, though it's not yet ready with government-certified numbers.

The high-line IS350 features a new, 3.5-liter V-6. It also uses DI technology, but adds a second set of port injectors for even more control over ignition, an advantage during cold starts. Unfortunately, the larger engine is not available with either a manual transmission or all-wheel-drive, though considering the unexpected success of the AWD option in the recent GS series, Lexus officials broadly hint they may expand the technology's availability. That would prove particularly attractive in northern climes, where sales of Lexus rear-drive sedans crawls to a halt during the winter months.

The bigger engine does come with a driver-friendly performance suspension package, a good way to keep all that power on the road. This package will launch you from 0-60 in an impressive 5.6 seconds, while top speed is governed out at 142 mph.

We were especially pleased with the paddle shifters, which made it uncannily intuitive to shift. The crisp, short-throw manual on the IS 250, meanwhile, was about as good a stick as any in the class, nearly as good as BMW's 3-er.
Old 05-17-2006, 06:45 AM

I can't say exactly from a Maxima-perspective, but coming from somebody that has owned a 3.5 Altima (obviously same motor) that did all the bolt-on performance mods, you will gain power and make the car faster. On something like an exhaust, you will loose tq, but you will gain hp.

So to give you some examples, here's my old Altima's dyno with a catback, cold air intake, race pipes, and a pulley:

We got 227.6whp and 237.7tq. This is a 2003 model, which has 245hp stock...which from what I've seen is about 200whp and 225tq.

Later on I added the Hotshot headers with high flow cats (replacing the race pipes), here's the dyno results on that:

Notice an 11whp gain and about 6tq.

If I remember correctly, after the header install I was running somewhere in the 13's in the 1/4.
Old 05-17-2006, 07:14 AM
.org extraordinaire

Originally Posted by D@ActiveTuning
I can't say exactly from a Maxima-perspective, but coming from somebody that has owned a 3.5 Altima (obviously same motor) that did all the bolt-on performance mods, you will gain power and make the car faster. On something like an exhaust, you will loose tq, but you will gain hp.

So to give you some examples, here's my old Altima's dyno with a catback, cold air intake, race pipes, and a pulley:

We got 227.6whp and 237.7tq. This is a 2003 model, which has 245hp stock...which from what I've seen is about 200whp and 225tq.

Later on I added the Hotshot headers with high flow cats (replacing the race pipes), here's the dyno results on that:

Notice an 11whp gain and about 6tq.

If I remember correctly, after the header install I was running somewhere in the 13's in the 1/4.

NICE!
but when the F**K is your 4.1 grille coming out. I need a new one.

Kam
Old 05-17-2006, 07:18 AM

Originally Posted by kamilkluczewski
NICE!
but when the F**K is your 4.1 grille coming out. I need a new one.

Kam
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=473003
Old 05-17-2006, 09:41 AM

Correct, disconnect the negative battery terminal for about 10 minutes, reconnect and Bam, better performance because the ECU has to relearn and calibrate. IMO not to the peak of the bolt ups but better than a stock cal...
isn't it easier to read the sticky to do the pedal pressing dance instead of waiting 10minutes
Old 05-17-2006, 09:48 AM
Newbie just Registered

Originally Posted by OmarBadu
isn't it easier to read the sticky to do the pedal pressing dance instead of waiting 10minutes
It could take more than 10 minutes to get the pedal pressing the first time.
Old 05-17-2006, 01:11 PM

It could take more than 10 minutes to get the pedal pressing the first time.
huh ?? pedal pressing dance ?? what is that ?? in which stickie is this ??

Luigi
Old 05-17-2006, 01:31 PM
Not for rookies!!

Originally Posted by luigi'smax
huh ?? pedal pressing dance ?? what is that ?? in which stickie is this ??

Luigi
Look here for you answer.
Old 05-17-2006, 05:12 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Hot shot headers?

I tried to go to their web page and got an anoying message that they need to contact their ISP. Anyway anyone know how much Altima SE-R headers cost and can they be found in Scrap yards?

I understand that these SE-R headers are high performance and fit perfectly on our Max 3.5. Problem I hear is that Nissan stealers (dealers) charge too much for this part. I always new that headers + Y pipe and other goodies are good for HP and TQ.
Old 05-17-2006, 07:55 PM

Funny you say that......... My friend just picked up a 2006 Pearl White IS350 ofcourse all of my friends ran him already and this is how we did.

06 350 VS 02 Altima 3.5SE WITH BOLTONS --350 won by 2 cars

06 IS350 VS my 04 max 6spd i lost by 2.5 cars

05 G35 sedan 6spd lost to it by about 1 1.5 cars

so all in all the IS 350 shiited on all of us.......... but for 47K i would of thought of something better

PS here is the link to our videos, is350 vs altima

ps 350 does some nice smoke shows!!! Lol the car only has 900miles on it
Old 05-17-2006, 08:05 PM
Newbie just Registered

The org frown upon race related posts.

Now about the IS350, it's RWD will leave quicker from a stop. I CAUGHT one already rolling.