6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

I have '07 Maxima brochure

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2006, 10:33 PM

I feel the reality is that the Maxima is being moved steadily further upscale, intended to compete with such cars as the Avalon, while the Altima is being moved upscale to replace the Maxima. The Sentra has steadily gotten larger and stronger, and is now bigger and better than early Altimas, whose slot it now will fill. Nissan is replacing the Sentra's slot with a new small entry level sedan that is getting good reviews.

It appears that Nissan plans the Maxima to be more 'flagship luxury' than 'sport', but yet retain a sporty feel, and sell between 75,000 and 100,000 per year, while the Altima will be a volume leader, selling between 150,000 and 250,000 per year.

As with most manufacturers, Nissan will offer more choices on the volume leader. I see a manual tranny Altima being available for many years to come, but will be surprised if the Maxima is ever available with manual again.

The cold truth is that, despite vehement denials by many hardcore Maxima fans, the time is coming when the CVT will give better fuel mileage and accelleration than either the manual or the 5 speed automatic. Based on early testing by ORG members, that may already be the case.
Old 06-27-2006, 12:24 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by lightonthehill
I feel the reality is that the Maxima is being moved steadily further upscale, intended to compete with such cars as the Avalon, while the Altima is being moved upscale to replace the Maxima. The Sentra has steadily gotten larger and stronger, and is now bigger and better than early Altimas, whose slot it now will fill. Nissan is replacing the Sentra's slot with a new small entry level sedan that is getting good reviews.

It appears that Nissan plans the Maxima to be more 'flagship luxury' than 'sport', but yet retain a sporty feel, and sell between 75,000 and 100,000 per year, while the Altima will be a volume leader, selling between 150,000 and 250,000 per year.

As with most manufacturers, Nissan will offer more choices on the volume leader. I see a manual tranny Altima being available for many years to come, but will be surprised if the Maxima is ever available with manual again.

The cold truth is that, despite vehement denials by many hardcore Maxima fans, the time is coming when the CVT will give better fuel mileage and accelleration than either the manual or the 5 speed automatic. Based on early testing by ORG members, that may already be the case.
True but I will always prefer the manual and I will look elsewhere if a manual isn't offered in a car I am looking at. I am leaning toward Subaru when its time to replace the max
Old 06-27-2006, 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by boondoxmax
True but I will always prefer the manual and I will look elsewhere if a manual isn't offered in a car I am looking at. I am leaning toward Subaru when its time to replace the max
Boondox, I think light has it pretty well lined out where Nissan will be taking the Maxima. You and I don't like the loss of the 6-speed in the Max. But I'm not certain that a Subaru is the way to go when it comes time to replace the current Max. Nissan (and Honda and a few others) have engines that use the most recent engine technology. Subaru does not yet use that technology. I think we can get an Altima or (if necessary) an Accord with a 6-speed and the best in engine technology. Hopefully, Nissan will recoginze their mistake and reinstate the 6-speed into future Maximas -- but don't hold your breath.
Old 06-27-2006, 01:34 PM

oK People, lets look at the positives here, new altima came out a year earlier than the new max, with the new D platform, (improved rigidity, better suspension, no torque steer, or so they say), also look at all those features the alti has now, multiply that times two with more HP, and you get the new generation maxima,(lets hope) so that gives us a year to see what this new platform can really do and see if it delivers. of course thats asuming that we get a new gen for 2008, and that they use the same platform like they are doing now. So for me is one more year of waiting, and watching really closely this new altima, and any major issues, with it. Lets give nissan another chance, and hopefully we dont have to get rid of this smilie

PD. im selling my 04 elite package, silver with 20s,
im going to start saving for next year
Old 06-27-2006, 09:29 PM

MAX2DAMAX - I agree with you that we still have possibilities of good things with the Maxima. The revisions in the '07 were enough to assure that the 2008 Maxima will be virtually unchanged from the 2007, so we have two years to anticipate the 7th gen.

I am glad to note that drivers who have tested the '07 report virtually no torque steer. Most report very brisk pickup, with excellent flexibility by the new CVT. But only time will tell.

In order for current Maxima fans to continue buying Maximas, these drivers will have to make the mental shift necessary to accept the CVT tranny. Some will be able to understand the eventual edge of the CVT in accelleration and fuel economy, while others will feel the CVT either does not offer the complete control they wish, or feel the CVT is not yet proven technology on a vehicle in the Maxima's class. I understand both views.

The completely redesigned 7th generation Maxima will almost surely arrive in spring of 2008 as a 2009 model, and I would guess with CVT as the only tranny option.

I am guessing, but would anticipate the 7th gen Maxima will be slightly larger than the 6th gen, have at least 300 HP, Stability Control standard, range in price from $29,900 to $38,900, and be classified by most folks as a luxury car. It will truly be a flagship vehicle for the Nissan line, and one rather far removed from the Maximas we grew up loving.

Very sad in one sense, but understandable in another. As a very old person, I long ago learned never to count on anything staying the same. Most of my favorite brands of any product you can name have long since disappeared from store shelves. I simply adapt and move on. As I will with my Sterling Silver (new color) 2009 Maxima SLA (the 'A' stands for All Wheel Drive) with Driver Preferred package, power sunroof, and full size spare with alloy wheel.

Yes, I'm too old to argue with Nissan, and too old to change makes. I will be very happy with my 2009 Maxima. And my wife doesn't mind me keeping Old Blue (my 2000 SE) in the corner of the garage for the frequent times when I feel I need to revisit the driving experiences of my 'younger' days.