6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

The best,cheapest,safest way to lower my front end

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2006, 11:03 PM

The best,cheapest,safest way to lower my front end

Anyone?? I need help here. I want to lower my front end to match the back but I don't want my car to ride/handle poorly/unsafely.

Spring kits (Eibach??)...can you just use the front springs?? Do you have to replace any suspension parts (struts)?? Can you just us ethe front springs to lower it and replace nothing else and still have good ride quality and safety?

Are coil-overs the way to go?? And what exactly are coil-overs??????????
I have no idea what a coil-over is or what it does exactly. All I know is my car has an ugly wheel well gap up front and I want it gone. The back is fine in my opinion.

UGLY GAP
Old 06-21-2006, 11:12 PM
*moderator*

there are a lot of suspension threads around, alos look in the stickies.
But IMO Eibachs are probably your best bet, it sounds like. I ran just the fronts for a while, although not recommended I had no problems. The struts should be replaced but when I had mine lowered (along with a bunch of us) nobody made an aftermarket strut. I ran mine for almost 2 years with no problems while other people blew theirs in 3 days. The ride with the Eibachs was great, a bit stiffer but very comfortable.
Coilovers are definitely more advanced, if you are really looking for handling and perfromance this is the way to go. But if comfort is your deal than I'd shy away, plus they aren't cheap. ($700-$900)

Here's a basic definition of a coilover:
"A coilover consists of a shock absorber with a coil spring encircling it. The shock absorber and spring are preassembled as a unit prior to installation. This provides for optimal damping without torsional loads. Some coilovers are adjustable for ride height and hardness as well using a simple threaded spring perch similar to a nut.

Coilovers should not be confused with struts or independently mounted shock absorbers."

Lose the gap, it's fughly!!!
No gap here (coilovers)
Old 06-22-2006, 06:44 PM

Thanks for the help but I have a few more questions if you don't mind........

You say you ran just the fronts for 2 yrs with no problems, yet others have "blown theirs" after 3 days. ...Blown what? Their stock struts?

I am going for comfort and not performance so I will probably go for springs and not coilovers. Are there different Eibach kits? Which one do you recommend and if I want a decent aftermarket front strut, what kind and where to get them? I will more than likely just leave the back alone for now and just use the front springs.

Finally, can a place like Midas/Monroe install this stuff?? (because I can't)

Thanks for your help/advice.
Old 06-22-2006, 06:59 PM

I ran the Eibachs for a couple years and went through a few front struts. I bought kyb gr2 struts for a replacement but never installed them.
Old 06-22-2006, 07:16 PM
gec

your gonna sacrifice ride quality period.. the question is how much do you want to give up...not alot so you go with springs rather than coilovers....I truly never understood the whole just drop the front thingy --- eibachs as wells as progress are even on all 4...they both make the front drop a little more than the rear to purposely even it out....I'm ridin the progress and haven't had a problem...I haven't riddin on em with the oem wheels so I can't give you an accurate ride opinion, but on 20's its ok...but certainly no where near oem setup...

Old 06-22-2006, 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by gec
.I'm ridin the progress and haven't had a problem...I haven't riddin on em with the oem wheels so I can't give you an accurate ride opinion, but on 20's its ok...but certainly no where near oem setup...
I have 20's also. Maybe if I leave the 255/35/20 series tires on the back and put 255/55/20 series just on the front. Maybe that would fill the front wheel well gap, haha, I'm kidding of course.

Seriously though, it sounds like this is a no win situation for me. I could care less about performance, I just want my front end lowered just a little bit, that's all. But I dont want to be busting struts and I don't want the car to ride like total $hit either.

So what do I do?? Maybe putting 255/55's up front IS the only solution (again I'm kidding)
Old 06-22-2006, 10:11 PM
*moderator*

Originally Posted by PENROSE2006
I have 20's also. Maybe if I leave the 255/35/20 series tires on the back and put 255/55/20 series just on the front. Maybe that would fill the front wheel well gap, haha, I'm kidding of course.

Seriously though, it sounds loke this is a no win situation for me. I could care less about performance, I just want my front end lowered just a little bit, that's all. But I dont want to be busting struts and I don't want the car to ride like total $hit either.

So what do I do?? Maybe putting 255/55's up front IS the only solution (again I'm kidding)
Yes, when I said that before I meant struts. You could just try your luck, maybe I was lucky. Or you could play it safe, spend a bit more and get the kyb gr2 struts. As for the ride on eibachs for me at least it was totally bearable. Hope this helps, good luck! J
Old 06-23-2006, 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by jsmithsole
Yes, when I said that before I meant struts. You could just try your luck, maybe I was lucky. Or you could play it safe, spend a bit more and get the kyb gr2 struts. As for the ride on eibachs for me at least it was totally bearable. Hope this helps, good luck! J
What he said, PM me if your interested in a front suspension setup. Ive got some parts for sale so we can prolly work something out.
Old 06-23-2006, 11:36 AM

I purchased a pair of Eibachs last week.
Going to install the fronts only, if the struts go, I'll replace them
with good aftermarket product.

Mark
Old 06-23-2006, 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by marcel
I purchased a pair of Eibachs last week.
Going to install the fronts only, if the struts go, I'll replace them
with good aftermarket product.

Mark
You would be better off replacing the front struts while your at it unless your doing the install yourself and dont mind doing extra labor down the road.
Old 06-23-2006, 11:58 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

hey penrose i have a brand new set of eibach pro kit lowering springs. they are for a 2004 and up maxima. i ordered them for a friend but he sold his car before i could give them to him so im stuck with them. ill sell them to u for 280 shipped to ur door. let me know man
Old 06-23-2006, 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by matty fast
hey penrose i have a brand new set of eibach pro kit lowering springs. they are for a 2004 and up maxima. i ordered them for a friend but he sold his car before i could give them to him so im stuck with them. ill sell them to u for 280 shipped to ur door. let me know man
Thats like 80 bucks more than a brand new set cost. Good luck with that sale...
Old 06-23-2006, 12:02 PM

Do yo have a part # for the Eibach kit?

Where can I get these aftermarket struts?

And will a place like Midas/Monroe install this stuff for me?
Old 06-23-2006, 12:06 PM

Check your PMs.
Old 06-23-2006, 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by matty fast
Matty, you tryin' to rip me off with your first post??? haha....just kidding, man.

I live in the Uniontown/Connellsville area. Give me a "fair" price and you wont have to ship anything. I can pick them up or you could meet me somewhere......whatever. Takes me about 40 min to get to downtown P'burgh. Where are you at in the 'Burgh?
Old 06-23-2006, 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by Glude
You would be better off replacing the front struts while your at it unless your doing the install yourself and dont mind doing extra labor down the road.
Hmmmmm...

I have a 3 year lease, wondering if the springs will void the factory warranty...
Old 06-23-2006, 12:11 PM

I bought mine from tirerack.com (Springs)
What (make) aftermarket strut is recommended?
Is there something adjustable? i.e. firmness setting...
Old 06-23-2006, 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by marcel
Hmmmmm...

I have a 3 year lease, wondering if the springs will void the factory warranty...
It will void the warranty on the suspension, however I had the dealership replace a blown strut while on eibachs. They didnt know till half way in so they just went ahead and replaced it.
Old 06-23-2006, 07:28 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

sorry if that seamed 2 affend people on my price and the only reason y that is my first post is bc i dont have a maxima i just had the springs bc i ordered them for my friend and payed for them myself instead of taking his money and well honestly the only reason y i posted 280 is bc 300 is actualy is what i did pay for them in january. i just left them at my friends shop since my friend got his b4 i was abke 2 give him the set i got him so i got screwed on that deal actually. i havent done ne looking up on how much they cost now since that was like 6 months ago and from what everyone seams 2 b saying 200 is the going price for new so ill go there on them and like i said i can next day them 2 u so u dont have to drive but thats totally up to u. if u drive ill knock 20 off i guess if thats what it take for me to get some money back out of this deal. so let me know im a reasonable person.

thanks for the interest man