6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

How about this for stupid....

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2006, 09:37 AM

How about this for stupid....

Ok,

I purchased a OEM Sirius Receiver, right. I have the Sat button, but my car doesn't have the pre-wire (N-bus) connector. So, I call the Nissan dealers here in Houston to ask if they sold the prewire. These dudes all continued to tell me if your car didn't come with the pre-wire you can't operate the receiver. What? I know this dude! That's why I'm calling to ask you if you had the pre-wire in stock so I could order it.

Well, needless to say, they don't know or act like they don't know that the infiniti and Nissan have the same set up and they start telling me we can't sell those. It has to come from the factory. So I said, "How can Grubbs Infiniti sell the pre-wire and you guys can't." This idiot says, "well they are different cars" and I say "Dude, Nissan is Infiniti! If you pulled the receiver out of an infiniti, it would say Nissan big as heyall on the top of it."

I go back and forth for a minute and realize that this is wasting time. So, I call up Allen at Grubbs and he says that he can send it to me. Problem is, it's $125. I guess now I know why the price went down on the receivers. They don't have to include the pre-wire.

Boy, what a headache! I guess I'll wait and order this wire harness Friday.
Old 07-11-2006, 09:42 AM
SuPeRmOd

never heard of post factory pre-wire installs. that had nothing to do with the price. Nissan always said you must be pre-wired, never that install was an option.
Old 07-11-2006, 09:47 AM

No,
When I got my car in 2003 they didn't pre-wire all the cars until late that summer. I didn't get the sat radio when I first bought it and I finally made up my mind that I was keeping the car for the long haul and wanted to go ahead and get the Sirius since I had the elite with navi. I just found it hard to believe that they couldn't get/have the harness for the car. Yet, Grubbs can have it and will send it to me.

How does that sound? Did I lose you?

BTW, I have the Sat Button on the console.
Old 07-11-2006, 09:57 AM
SuPeRmOd

I understand, I'm just curious about the install. prepare for the install to exceed the price of wires. that's if you even find someone willing to do it.

I'm all for it. I love my integrated oem Sirius. so much so I went lifetime sub.
Old 07-11-2006, 10:05 AM

I'm doing it myself. I already prepped everything. The hardest part is cutting the notch in the trunk drainage lip. Other that, it's simply tape and plugging stuff in. That's if the darn car was already pre-wired. But, it seems pretty easy to do the wiring. I found a thread on Freshalloy that told me where to run it for either elite or non elite.. It's easy and the only extra steps will be removing the glove box and the door trim. The antenna runs along the wind seal down the passenger side and into the trunk. I bought a mini antenna S50.
Old 07-11-2006, 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by MaximumMike
I'm doing it myself. I already prepped everything. The hardest part is cutting the notch in the trunk drainage lip. Other that, it's simply tape and plugging stuff in. That's if the darn car was already pre-wired. But, it seems pretty easy to do the wiring. I found a thread on Freshalloy that told me where to run it for either elite or non elite.. It's easy and the only extra steps will be removing the glove box and the door trim. The antenna runs along the wind seal down the passenger side and into the trunk. I bought a mini antenna S50.
I hope the install goes well for you. I have a 2004 SE and it had the sticker on the door jam that said prewired for SAT. Weird that some cars came prewired and some did not in 04. You would think the SL would if my SE did. I too went to the local Nissan dealer and wanted to buy just specific pieces. They only sold the kit for something like 350 bucks, cable for not prewired cars, antenna, and receiver. Grubbs hooked me up because Nissan would not just sell the receiver I needed. I posted pics on the site about a year ago with step by step stuff for non prewired install. Might still be here if you dig a bit. Thank god I was prewired though and did the install in 5 minutes. You might want to put the antenna on the rear shelf in the back. No problems with reception. Hope the install goes well and let me know if you have any problems with the connections in the trunk. Also, just like Grubbs said, no need to drill the receiver, just use the double stick tape to the left of the trunk light. Works perfect. Their install manual shows a splitter, but the receiver you get has one wire connection so no need for a splitter. I got the mini antenna.
Old 07-11-2006, 07:17 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by carcus
I hope the install goes well for you. I have a 2004 SE and it had the sticker on the door jam that said prewired for SAT. Weird that some cars came prewired and some did not in 04. You would think the SL would if my SE did. I too went to the local Nissan dealer and wanted to buy just specific pieces. They only sold the kit for something like 350 bucks, cable for not prewired cars, antenna, and receiver. Grubbs hooked me up because Nissan would not just sell the receiver I needed. I posted pics on the site about a year ago with step by step stuff for non prewired install. Might still be here if you dig a bit. Thank god I was prewired though and did the install in 5 minutes. You might want to put the antenna on the rear shelf in the back. No problems with reception. Hope the install goes well and let me know if you have any problems with the connections in the trunk. Also, just like Grubbs said, no need to drill the receiver, just use the double stick tape to the left of the trunk light. Works perfect. Their install manual shows a splitter, but the receiver you get has one wire connection so no need for a splitter. I got the mini antenna.

I too just threw mine (XM, although I wish I would have gone with Sirius now...) on the back deck. I didn't attach it at all though. I have the old school original antenna and the little bench matches up with the seat, so that the actual bulk of the antenna sits next to the speaker. It slides around from time to time so I have to adjust it every once in a while.

Seems to work pretty well for me.
Old 07-11-2006, 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by Monotaur
I too just threw mine (XM, although I wish I would have gone with Sirius now...) on the back deck. I didn't attach it at all though. I have the old school original antenna and the little bench matches up with the seat, so that the actual bulk of the antenna sits next to the speaker. It slides around from time to time so I have to adjust it every once in a while.

Seems to work pretty well for me.
That is so funny, you did the same thing as me. My antenna moves a bit, but with velcro it will not move at all on the deck. I just have not had time to put the stuff on the bottom of the antenna. Try the velcro, not the furry side, the hook side. Will stick to the carpet stuff. XM/Sirius......still all good to me. I got everything with XM, never commute long enough to listen to my comedy stuff, but the music stations are pretty much the same on both.

Was it just me or when you got the package with all the tape, screws, junk and 14 page install thing off Grubbs was intimidated? I just pulled the plastic plugs, dropped the tray panel, ripped the prewired tape off, plugged in the ibus plug, threw in the antenna and was done. Real simple and pretty happy.
Old 07-12-2006, 02:50 AM

Carcus, did your purchase come with the Wire harness? I saw that you were prewired. If so, I will buy it from you for a reasonable price including shipping. Hit me with a PM, if so.
Old 07-12-2006, 05:03 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

That is so funny, you did the same thing as me. My antenna moves a bit, but with velcro it will not move at all on the deck. I just have not had time to put the stuff on the bottom of the antenna. Try the velcro, not the furry side, the hook side. Will stick to the carpet stuff. XM/Sirius......still all good to me. I got everything with XM, never commute long enough to listen to my comedy stuff, but the music stations are pretty much the same on both.

Was it just me or when you got the package with all the tape, screws, junk and 14 page install thing off Grubbs was intimidated? I just pulled the plastic plugs, dropped the tray panel, ripped the prewired tape off, plugged in the ibus plug, threw in the antenna and was done. Real simple and pretty happy.
Heh, yeah it was a bit intimidating... unfortunately though, I followed the instructions nearly verbatim and drilled through the rear deck as instructed (now I wish I hadn't).

Also, I ended up wrapping the wires in 1/4" tubing to protect them as they went around the seat area and to the back deck, as I didn't want to run the risk of breaking them while popping the back seat.

Thanks for the tip on the velcro, I'll have to try that one of these days. I still haven't peeled off the sticky part of the antenna, so maybe I can just get a piece of velcro that same size and be done with it.
Old 07-12-2006, 07:45 AM
SuPeRmOd

Carcus, did your purchase come with the Wire harness? I saw that you were prewired. If so, I will buy it from you for a reasonable price including shipping. Hit me with a PM, if so.
I still have no idea why you think the unit has ever been sold with the wiring harness

it has only even been sold on the condition you were pre-wired. you are still the first I have ever heard about attempting to wire it yourself.

even dealers would only install it if you were pre-wired, though their install is quite high and should include that too.
Old 07-13-2006, 07:22 PM

Originally Posted by NismoMax80
I still have no idea why you think the unit has ever been sold with the wiring harness

it has only even been sold on the condition you were pre-wired. you are still the first I have ever heard about attempting to wire it yourself.

even dealers would only install it if you were pre-wired, though their install is quite high and should include that too.
Well, I guess you don't remember that some people did buy the wire harness and install it themselves. I bought the Harness and I will be installing it tomorrow morning. It's quite easy. Also, if the (Sat Receivers) were only sold to people that were pre-wired. Why did they have the harness so readily available at two dealerships (Grubbs Infiniti and Trophy Nissan) that I called in the Dallas area that sold them?

Do a search on here and maybe you can pull up some of the old threads. The only reason I knew it could be done was because of people on here stating that they did it.
Old 07-16-2006, 07:02 PM

**Update**

Installation complete. Hardest part was unplugging the HU connections without pulling the wiring out of the connectors. Everything else was done within 1hr.

FYI: On the passenger side of the door there is a plastic tray for cabling. I assume that this would've been where my wiring harness for the Sat would've been. If you try to install the harness, forget about trying to put your cable in that thing. It's way to much work and you'd do better running it along the floor board. Dropping the glove box is a peice of cake. Don't forget the release pins underneath the box.

Any questions, I'd be glad to assist.
Old 07-16-2006, 10:29 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

**Update**

Installation complete. Hardest part was unplugging the HU connections without pulling the wiring out of the connectors. Everything else was done within 1hr.

FYI: On the passenger side of the door there is a plastic tray for cabling. I assume that this would've been where my wiring harness for the Sat would've been. If you try to install the harness, forget about trying to put your cable in that thing. It's way to much work and you'd do better running it along the floor board. Dropping the glove box is a peice of cake. Don't forget the release pins underneath the box.

Any questions, I'd be glad to assist.

forget questions how about i buy the needed materials and you make 50 bux in a hour and do it for me i live in houston as well....... i-10 and gessner close to memorial city mall
Old 07-18-2006, 01:55 AM

Originally Posted by y0_nate
forget questions how about i buy the needed materials and you make 50 bux in a hour and do it for me i live in houston as well....... i-10 and gessner close to memorial city mall
I'll be willing to show you how. But as far as me getting under the dash, trying to pull those connectors off again. Unnnh UnnnnH!!!

It's too dayum hot for me to be doing that. The most I would be willing to do is route your wire-harness and mount your receiver.
Old 07-20-2006, 03:30 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I'll be willing to show you how. But as far as me getting under the dash, trying to pull those connectors off again. Unnnh UnnnnH!!!

It's too dayum hot for me to be doing that. The most I would be willing to do is route your wire-harness and mount your receiver.

lol cool..... ill send you a PM when im ready to get all the materials...... how much did everything run you ..... and is there a way i can check my VIN to see if it came sat equipped?
Old 07-21-2006, 02:41 AM

If you have the sat button you are pre-wired supposedly. But, if you look inside the driver side doorjam, toward the bottom. There is a sticker there and it should tell you if you are pre-wired. But, if not there, look on the sticker under the armrest compartment.

Go to the sticky that is posted and look at the installation info. They have a PDF file that shows the instructions and pictures of were the cable is located in the trunk. If it ain't there, you're not wired.

Receiver (If bought new) $196.00
Wiring Harness (If not present) $125.00 new
Old 07-21-2006, 05:40 AM

I do not have the sat button. any thoughts on where to get the controls?
Old 07-25-2006, 06:00 AM
I Donate! Why Don't You?

wow I think I want SAT RADIO too, i will check to see if im prewired during lunch