6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Nissan iPod interface now available from Nissan??

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2006, 05:30 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by ecksy
i got quoted at $595 for sat sirius install.. then $235 for only the ipod install.. if I wanted both I would be looking at about $900.
I did the Sirius satellite upgrade last weekend myself. If you own a Dremel, know how to work a screwdriver, and can make measurements, then it is pretty simple. Took about 2 hours with distractions. The instructions in the sticky are for 2004, so I had to get the dealer to give me the 2006 version. Total cost was about $320 for the receiver, bracket and antenna then another $5 or so for a small bottle of touch up primer to protect the small cut that is made to the trunk weatherstrip metal lip.

I still have not decided on what iPod interface to go with. The Nissan one has the advantage of charging the iPod, allowing control from the steering wheel and being compatible with satellite, but does not have a second aux input. The others that I have found either do not support control of the iPod or will not work with satellite. I do not understand yet what the limitation is for doing all.

I did take apart the dash and pull out the entire "stack" to see what was involved since I want to add a video interface for the Nav screen, aux audio input and iPod adapter. It was more work getting it apart and back together than the satellite install.
Old 08-10-2006, 06:30 AM
dla
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by ecksy
yeah i just stopped by the dealer after work today.. i got quoted at $595 for sat sirius install.. then $235 for only the ipod install.. if I wanted both I would be looking at about $900. you can have either sat or ipod as well as just sat or just ipod.. i think im gonna do both.. im going back on saturday to ask about something else but should i try to get part numbers for you guys?

I already have sat radio and bose 6cd, so why would the i-pod only cost $495? Something doesn't sound right!
Old 11-18-2006, 06:42 AM

OK, I just asked my dealership about the compatibility of the OEM unit with 2004's. They said that it works, and that they had even installed one in a 2004 not too long ago and that the only requirement was that it had the Bose 6 disc CD changer. At first, the service manager looked through their service history and said that he thought that they had to change one of the parts, but he later clarified with the person who actually did the work that it was compatible straight out of the box (I think - I never actually talked to the guy who did the work directly).

Anyway, they said that they could install it for $350-$360 total. I said no thanks, since it can be purchased for roughly half that (I don't think installation will be difficult).

I think I'm going to try this after the holidays and see how it goes. When I'm done, I'll definately report back.
Old 11-20-2006, 04:40 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Monotaur:
Glad someone is willing to see if the OEM Ipod interface works for the 04's. Been dying for a final answer on this...good luck!

Ray
Old 11-22-2006, 09:39 AM

I take it this is not compatiable for the 07's... I just search on the Nissan website and found nothing about an Ipod interface...
Old 11-28-2006, 01:54 PM

Alright, I was able to get the installation instructions faxed to me. They aren't the best quality since they are faxes of a printout and so the "WARNING" text areas aren't really readible, but it does provide some information. Also, the document says that it applies to the 2004-2006 model year cars, so I'm definately going to pursue this. I'll probably purchase this tonight. If anyone can recommend a good host for hosting PDFs, I can put the installation instructions up if others want to see them.
Old 11-28-2006, 03:52 PM

where can we purchase the unit from?
Old 11-28-2006, 04:39 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Sweet!! I'm looking at this as a possible Xmas gift to myself. Can you please email those PDF instructions...would like to take a look at those: RAPaloma@hotmail.com

Thanks in Advance!
Old 11-28-2006, 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by 6thGenMax
where can we purchase the unit from?
You can purchase from either of the following places (taken from earlier in the thread; I'm sure that there are others):

http://www.mynismo.com/products/?id=2593

http://mynissanparts.com/pc-855-90-ipod-interface.aspx

I just purchased it from the former as shipping is cheaper by about $20, although their return policy isn't quite as easy.

Originally Posted by RaiderMax
Sweet!! I'm looking at this as a possible Xmas gift to myself. Can you please email those PDF instructions...would like to take a look at those: RAPaloma@hotmail.com

Thanks in Advance!
No problem - I just send it to you, let me know if you don't get it.

I'm still happy to host this somewhere as it would be easier for me if anyone else wants it, if anyone can suggest a good host for this.
Old 11-28-2006, 11:14 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by Monotaur
No problem - I just send it to you, let me know if you don't get it.

I'm still happy to host this somewhere as it would be easier for me if anyone else wants it, if anyone can suggest a good host for this.
Got your email. Your right it is a little on the blurry side, but thanks for the info anyways. Gonna take this to a buddy of mine to get his opinion on the install/compatability.

Ray
Old 11-29-2006, 06:55 AM

ipod interface

now with this install in our 04-06 can we change the songs from the headunit or do you have to still do it with the ipod itself?
Old 11-29-2006, 02:27 PM

question regarding the nissan ipod interface, if this is installed in my bose sat ready 6 disk changer, do I loose the 6 disk changer??? and the info from the ipod can I see it in the screen of the radio??? can I use the sterring wheel controls???
Thanks.
Old 11-29-2006, 03:09 PM

hi, this is exactly what I am looking for, so I can get this straight, I have 2006 with Nav, Bose, 6 disc and Factory Sirius SAT radio all installed. this will connect to my factory setuo (any one know where it attaches to???). It will still allow all my other stuff to work and will be controlled via the factory radio controls on the steering wheel. And it will charge the Ipod too???

If anyone can confirm all of this????
Old 11-29-2006, 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by 6thGenMax
now with this install in our 04-06 can we change the songs from the headunit or do you have to still do it with the ipod itself?
No, I don't think that you can change the songs with the iPod while it is connected. It is also in the glove box, so even if you could it wouldn't be very safe. I'm guess that you'll be able to do this with the steering wheel/radio controls, but I'm not sure.

Originally Posted by jorgep03
question regarding the nissan ipod interface, if this is installed in my bose sat ready 6 disk changer, do I loose the 6 disk changer??? and the info from the ipod can I see it in the screen of the radio??? can I use the sterring wheel controls???
Thanks.
No, using this interface I do not believe that you loose the 6 disk changer. I'm not sure if you can see the song info on the screen, but I'm guessing that you can since it uses the satellite radio interface and the satellite radio can display it (although, you may have to hit the "AUDIO" button once for this to be displayed - at least I do with my XM radio).

Originally Posted by Gadgetemt
hi, this is exactly what I am looking for, so I can get this straight, I have 2006 with Nav, Bose, 6 disc and Factory Sirius SAT radio all installed. this will connect to my factory setuo (any one know where it attaches to???). It will still allow all my other stuff to work and will be controlled via the factory radio controls on the steering wheel. And it will charge the Ipod too???

If anyone can confirm all of this????
Yes, I believe that it will attach to your stock radio as is (I'm not sure on the NAV stuff since I don't have it). I think that one of the harnesses is only needed if you have satellite radio installed (I think is bridges between the satellite radio receiver and the iPod adapter). The iPod sits in the glove box, and will be charged when it is plugged in. And when it is plugged in, the iPod interface has control over the satellite input. When you remove the iPod, it is my understanding that the satellite radio will then work.

I'm not sure how the controls will work with it since I don't have my interface yet (and it will take me a while to install it), but I'd imagine that they will work similarily as your Sirius satellite radio (volume up/down, next/previous song [instead of channel up/down], etc) - but this is just a guess.
Old 11-29-2006, 06:02 PM

thanks for the info, I will do some research and try to find out if the song info gets displayed on the radio screen.
Old 11-29-2006, 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by jorgep03
thanks for the info, I will do some research and try to find out if the song info gets displayed on the radio screen.
Cool, let us know what you find.
Old 12-01-2006, 10:55 AM

Directions-please

ok, I am ready to go with htis, if anyone has the directions that they can foward so I can take a look???
Thanks in advance
Old 12-01-2006, 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by Gadgetemt
ok, I am ready to go with htis, if anyone has the directions that they can foward so I can take a look???
Thanks in advance
Alright, as I've said before these aren't the best quality (some of the text isn't visible and the images are hard to see), so if anyone else can look up the document number and post the original that would be great. Anyway, here is what I have:

http://putstuff.putfile.com/18702/4344354

I'm also thinking about moving the iPod to the center console somewhere instead of the glovebox. However, it doesn't look like anyone sells an iPod extension cable (at least as far as I can tell). So, I've found this site where you can buy the connectors and then roll your own:

http://home.swipnet.se/ridax/connector.htm

Good luck!
Old 01-21-2007, 08:32 AM

How did end up the story with 2004 compatybility. It works ???
Old 01-21-2007, 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by astrofil
How did end up the story with 2004 compatybility. It works ???
I still haven't installed it yet... but my dealership says that they have installed one on an '04 without issue.
Old 01-21-2007, 11:20 AM

OK. just to clarify things. Sorry if i'm distracting from the '04 compatibility discussion (I have an '05 with the PAC unit installed for the IPOD).
From what I read here, as long as i have an '05+ and have the Bose speakers and a 6 disc cd changer, I can go to Nissan and get the unit installed for about $200-300.
With this install, the Ipod will go into the glove compartment and i will be able to control the ipod with the steering wheel and HU controls.
Am I missing something or does this sound right? B/c if this is true, I'm in.
Old 01-21-2007, 11:20 AM

if this is true, anyone want to buy the PAC adapter off me?
Old 01-21-2007, 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by ceehan
OK. just to clarify things. Sorry if i'm distracting from the '04 compatibility discussion (I have an '05 with the PAC unit installed for the IPOD).
From what I read here, as long as i have an '05+ and have the Bose speakers and a 6 disc cd changer, I can go to Nissan and get the unit installed for about $200-300.
With this install, the Ipod will go into the glove compartment and i will be able to control the ipod with the steering wheel and HU controls.
Am I missing something or does this sound right? B/c if this is true, I'm in.
That is correct, as far as I know. The unit will also charge the iPod, and display song/artist info in the same manner that the OEM satellite radio tuner will.
Old 01-23-2007, 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by ceehan
if this is true, anyone want to buy the PAC adapter off me?
We can do a deal call me ?
917-561-1068
Peter
Old 01-23-2007, 05:24 PM

i don't want to beat a dead horse but did anyone ever get the full integration for an 04 maxima with the bose system and no navigation or satellite radio.i can't find an adapter to do a full integration.
Old 07-28-2008, 03:09 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

How do I know if my Maxima stereo is compatible with this ipod hook up? I just bought my 2005 Maxima this weekend and would like to set this up... am uncertain if I have a Bose stereo, it sounds pretty decent. it's definitely not a cd changer it has the standard cd and cassette player and a SAT button. Will this work?
Old 07-28-2008, 05:45 PM

you MUST have the bose system for the factory ipod adapter to work. It sounds like you dont have the bose if you dont have a changer. There is a lot of info if you use the search tool
Old 07-28-2008, 07:14 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I added the nissan ipod interface to mo 07. I have bose and the 6 disc changer, so figuring out compatability wasn't a problem.

When the ipod is selected it shows on the radio as XM. All other radio functions and the cd changer still function.

The unit is fairly small and it fits to a cross member behind the storage compartment under the heater controls. It attaches with double stick tape and zip ties.

There are two wiring harnesses. You have to pull out the head unit and the info screen to get to the connectors. Whatever you do DO NOT DISCONNECT THE AIR BAG SENSOR. I did this and had to take the car in for service to get the airbag light turned off.

There is also a long ground wire which the instructions say needs to be run out the end of the dashboard and attached in the right hand footwell. I didn't do this. I just grounded it to the metalwork that the head unit mounts to.

The ipod connects by a long wire with a din plug on the the end. It is supposed to be ran out into the glove box, but I ran mine out under the console so that the ipod can be kept in the middle storage bin. I think it's easier for the driver to access in there.

Song names, artist, etc can be displayed. The steering wheel controls are a bit of a let down. The up down rocker on the left switches between radio, sat, etc where it would make more sense if it skipped songs.

The user interface and menus also take a bit of getting used to.

The biggest problem I have found is that if you have a playlist selected it remembers which one, and where to restart after turning off the car, but it doesn't remember if you had it set to shuffle the list. So when you start back up it will begin playing where you left off, but will then start going through the playlist by artist and song in alphabetical order.

All in all I like it because it lets me keep the ipod hidden away but like I said it takes getting used to.
Old 07-28-2008, 07:48 PM

how much was it?
Old 07-29-2008, 06:42 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

thanks for the info SteadyC, is there a way for me to confirm if I have a Bose stereo? also, if it is not a Bose, is there a way to do it? there has to be right? Nissan is aware of the mp3 craze, they cant just leave us high and dry with out an mp3 player, I havent used a cd in years until two days ago..

this is what my display and stereo look like

Last edited by pixelsblur; 07-29-2008 at 08:19 AM.
Old 07-29-2008, 09:31 AM

Anyone know if this setup works with the iPhone without it going into airplane mode?
Old 07-29-2008, 10:01 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by povartrader
Anyone know if this setup works with the iPhone without it going into airplane mode?
I read in a different thread that the iPhone is supported
Old 07-29-2008, 11:08 AM

It would have the Bose tag on the tape deck. No Bose tag, you don't have bose then. The red circle indicates where you need to look.

Originally Posted by pixelsblur
thanks for the info SteadyC, is there a way for me to confirm if I have a Bose stereo? also, if it is not a Bose, is there a way to do it? there has to be right? Nissan is aware of the mp3 craze, they cant just leave us high and dry with out an mp3 player, I havent used a cd in years until two days ago..

this is what my display and stereo look like

Last edited by KC2010; 07-29-2008 at 11:11 AM.
Old 08-05-2008, 09:38 PM

I have an '04 Maxima SL Bose w/Navi & my VIN# 854. I just spoke with my Nissan dealership & they quoted me $230 for the iPod OEM Gateway (which they said only works with '07 & up) & a installation fee (labor) of $130. Does that sound like a good price or is there another store or website that sells it cheaper & would this definitely work for my year?