6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Remote start with a six speed

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2008, 05:10 AM

Remote start with a six speed

I know on the 5th gen there is a way to wire up remote start that would prevent the car from starting if it was in gear. I had my 5th gen set up this way......unfortunately she is long gone and I have replaced her with an 04.

Can a 6th gen be set up the same way?

Admins, please advise if this belongs in the audio/electronics section.
Old 03-19-2008, 07:31 AM

i dont think so. i was trying to get it installed but the guy said it has to be on nutral all the time.
Old 03-19-2008, 09:11 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Yes it can be done. You'd use a kit designed for installation in a manual transmission car. If you're installer is unaware of this sort of thing, you need to find another installer.

CM
Old 03-19-2008, 09:23 AM

i would PM pearl96max as you can probably just tap into the neutral safety switch and that will prevent it from starting in gear.
Old 03-19-2008, 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by burnurass
i would PM pearl96max as you can probably just tap into the neutral safety switch and that will prevent it from starting in gear.
Thats exactly what I was looking for. I believe the kit CanadianMoFo is refering to uses some type of sensor to know that the car is in gear........I think the neutral safety switch reference is what I had on my 5th gen.
Old 03-19-2008, 04:13 PM

Id be interesting in this as well.
Old 03-19-2008, 07:45 PM
I tend to get a bit irritable

Easily done by tapping the NSS wire in the car with the NSS wire from the remote start. I just dont recall at the moment which wire I used in the 6th gens. Ill try to look tomorrow.

So no, no need to invest into modules that are a PITA to deal with...
Old 04-01-2008, 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by Pearl96Max
Easily done by tapping the NSS wire in the car with the NSS wire from the remote start. I just dont recall at the moment which wire I used in the 6th gens. Ill try to look tomorrow.

So no, no need to invest into modules that are a PITA to deal with...
Did you every get a chance to find out where this was?
Old 08-04-2008, 06:35 AM

Bump - wanting to put this in this weekend. Anybody have more info on how to tap into the NSS?

Pearl96max - sent ya an email.

Last edited by Rich96; 08-04-2008 at 06:38 AM.
Old 08-04-2008, 07:51 AM

Manual trans cars have not changed for years why would the remote start suddenly change, all cars have the safety switch not to turn on if left in gear, if you don't know that never install a remote start, the problem with newer cars and remote starts is they have to deactivate the chip that is in the key so the car will actually start when your away from it, so now you have a car that is chipless
Old 08-04-2008, 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by Rich96
Bump - wanting to put this in this weekend. Anybody have more info on how to tap into the NSS?

Pearl96max - sent ya an email.
Ill check my email shortly.
Old 08-04-2008, 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by STARR
Manual trans cars have not changed for years why would the remote start suddenly change, all cars have the safety switch not to turn on if left in gear, if you don't know that never install a remote start, the problem with newer cars and remote starts is they have to deactivate the chip that is in the key so the car will actually start when your away from it, so now you have a car that is chipless
I wish you knew how flawed your information actually is.
Old 08-04-2008, 09:01 AM

I wish you knew how flawed your information actually is.
i wish you knew your statement means nothing
Old 08-04-2008, 09:41 AM

^^^^^^^^LOL. Anyway. I do it all the time. I understand your question. As you already know you can easily get R/S on a manual, np. You want to know if you can leave it in gear and the "brain" sense that it is in gear and NOT start. Yes this can also be done. With Clifford, Viper and other Directed based products an additional module is needed but there is a plug in the brain box for it to plug in, np. Just have to get a 3.5 series or higher (clifford). I am positive a few guys touched on the same answer I just thought I would toss in a couple pennies too.

Jesse
Old 08-04-2008, 10:21 AM

i wish you knew your statement means nothing
So why dont you make a honest attempt at showing something Factual to back up your claims?

'Chipless' ? Not if done correctly. Your 'chip' will Always be active, except for when the actualy RS cranks.

All cars have a NSS wire? PLEASE show me this information for ALL manual tranny vehicles.
Old 08-04-2008, 03:27 PM
Banned

own3d by don.
sucks to fail.
specially when you fail hard...
Old 08-04-2008, 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by Levissan
^^^^^^^^LOL. Anyway. I do it all the time. I understand your question. As you already know you can easily get R/S on a manual, np. You want to know if you can leave it in gear and the "brain" sense that it is in gear and NOT start. Yes this can also be done. With Clifford, Viper and other Directed based products an additional module is needed but there is a plug in the brain box for it to plug in, np. Just have to get a 3.5 series or higher (clifford). I am positive a few guys touched on the same answer I just thought I would toss in a couple pennies too.

Jesse
I just looked at the RS that was in my 5th gen...it is an Ungo.....model RK1. I also see a 556U unit and a "Satellite Relay SAA500U" unit as well. Does this tell you enough to detirmine if I can use my old RS in my new car?

Also, my installer was not sure where the NSS was on this vehicle.......that is the main question I am trying to answer. I want to say it was something like "PIN 17" on the 5th gen....do you know where it is on the 6th gen?
Old 08-05-2008, 06:44 AM

Originally Posted by Torgus
own3d by don.
sucks to fail.
specially when you fail hard...
your statement is cute, internet does not conflict with my real life so I think I'll be OK, you have to fail in order to succeed never be afraid especially of the internet
Old 08-05-2008, 06:51 AM

So why dont you make a honest attempt at showing something Factual to back up your claims?

'Chipless' ? Not if done correctly. Your 'chip' will Always be active, except for when the actualy RS cranks.

All cars have a NSS wire? PLEASE show me this information for ALL manual tranny vehicles.
never made an honest attempt at anything in this thread why start now, all I know is I've never seen a modern manual car start in gear, the chips that are in the key is hidden in the car so it will start when your walking towards it, I only know that cause I've started up manual trans cars with the valet key, and 3rd once again modern cars, if you want to tell me a 1990 honda civic whatever your gonna lose me
Old 08-05-2008, 06:54 AM

Pearl96Max

15700 post impressive
Old 08-05-2008, 06:56 AM

Originally Posted by Levissan

Jesse
thank you for your humor, you clarified the question
Old 08-06-2008, 07:07 AM
I Donate! Why Don't You?

Somebody on NYCMaximas had it done locally and the shop installed it without asking any questions. CAN BE DONE.
Old 08-06-2008, 08:20 AM

Originally Posted by xoomer.com
Somebody on NYCMaximas had it done locally and the shop installed it without asking any questions. CAN BE DONE.
Yep, thats what I'm gathering.

Just need to know where the NSS is to tap into it - does anybody know?
Old 08-06-2008, 08:26 AM

The wire should be Red/Black at the fuse panel.
Old 08-06-2008, 08:31 AM

never made an honest attempt at anything in this thread why start now, all I know is I've never seen a modern manual car start in gear, the chips that are in the key is hidden in the car so it will start when your walking towards it, I only know that cause I've started up manual trans cars with the valet key, and 3rd once again modern cars, if you want to tell me a 1990 honda civic whatever your gonna lose me

There is no chip in the car, only a transponder reader. When installed properly the chip from the key whether it be the actual key itself left in the car for bypass purposes or a learning unit ONLY when remote start is activated. As for manual vehicles if it is not done properly (ie NSS wire or a module of some sort) the vehicle WILL start when left in gear.

Bring me ANY 'modern manual car and I will show you that it will start in gear. So again your logic is flawed.

Pearl96Max

15700 post impressive
Good for you. I see your trying for the same since multi quote is beyond your abilities.
Old 08-06-2008, 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by Rich96
I just looked at the RS that was in my 5th gen...it is an Ungo.....model RK1. I also see a 556U unit and a "Satellite Relay SAA500U" unit as well. Does this tell you enough to detirmine if I can use my old RS in my new car?

Also, my installer was not sure where the NSS was on this vehicle.......that is the main question I am trying to answer. I want to say it was something like "PIN 17" on the 5th gen....do you know where it is on the 6th gen?
Nothing personal toward your installer but finding the nss should not be all that difficult. If worse comes to worse you can always tap into the neutral wire where the shifter is. If you want I can get you the info want or if you have time go to 12volt.com and track it down yourself.
As for your pin out you will need to pull the diagram on your car (also can be found at 12volt) and the manual for your r/s and see what the pin out is for that. Ungo is not my first choice for a R/S nor even for security, but never the less it is a pretty good Clarion product and it gets the job done.
Okay lets break down these numbers here. That 556U thing is just a passkey. Many newer cars require the key be in the ignition (or neer it) to start, or even to continue running. There are a few ways around this issue your 556 is just one of them. I wouldn't be suprised if your installer wanted a copy of your key to either program it or to keep in a box by the steering column. Nissan isn't as bad as the new Honda or Bimmers (damn nightmare).
Okay that SAA yada yada thing is just (like you said) your sat relay. If I remember it is a 8 larger guage wire relay system. Bottom line is your installer need to figure out the following:
Can an additional module be added to the current "brain" to dis allow starting while the car is in gear. He can call the manufacturer or if he is really good he can take a series of relays and make one himself from the nutral wire in the shift sensor or from any of the other wires from other gears.
Next can it be programmed to sense this other module or relays before activating the starting process. It basically need to re-route the digits. Un like old school systems nothing really runs on hot/not on/off signals anymore. Everything is pretty much a digital signal sent to your components now. Your ignition system is a good example.
Personally I would go with a Directed product only because they are sooooo user friendly and easy to install. (seriously you could probably do it yourself).

Jesse