6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Nissan iPod interface now available from Nissan??

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2006, 07:38 PM

Nissan iPod interface now available from Nissan??

I know that the iPod connectivity has been beaten to hell for the past couple years, but I was browsing on nissans website and I was looking at the accessories available for the maxima. When I did this, I saw a link for audio and I saw that there is now a Nissan iPod interface that they offer and install at the dealer that will connect our iPods to our Bose factory stereos and will be fully integrated with them in terms of control of the iPod. Does anyone know anything else about this or does anyone have this specific unit? Also when you go to nissans website and check out the accessories for the maxima, it says that it will connect to Bose factory radios, but there is also a PDF file that you can open up that shows more details about this iPod interface, and the confusing thing to me is that it does not show that the maxima is one of the vehicles that can use this interface. However, it also says on the website that it connects to the Bose radios on the maximas, so what is right and what is wrong? Anyone with more info on this, please respond. Thanks in advance
Old 07-26-2006, 07:52 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I think it may just be for the 2007 Maximas, unfortunately.
Old 07-26-2006, 08:03 PM
NINE-time Maxima Owner

I believe it will work with any 05-07 with either a SAT button or a RADIO button that will sequence through a SAT position. Uses the SAT input on the radio.

There are two versions for the Max... one is for radio with no SAT actually installed, the other is for use with units that have a SAT receiver connected. Retail is about $200-$225.
Old 07-27-2006, 04:35 AM

Originally Posted by jcalabria
I believe it will work with any 05-07 with either a SAT button or a RADIO button that will sequence through a SAT position. Uses the SAT input on the radio.

There are two versions for the Max... one is for radio with no SAT actually installed, the other is for use with units that have a SAT receiver connected. Retail is about $200-$225.
Oh yeah? Will it work with the 2004 or just the 2005 and above? And with the version that works with a SAT radio isntalled, do you know what the behavior is? Is there a switch that allows you to switch between the two sources?

Thanks!
Old 07-27-2006, 08:51 AM
NINE-time Maxima Owner

Originally Posted by Monotaur
Oh yeah? Will it work with the 2004 or just the 2005 and above? And with the version that works with a SAT radio isntalled, do you know what the behavior is? Is there a switch that allows you to switch between the two sources?

Thanks!
I was wrong about the with/without sat (for the Max, anyway), but it seems that the 05+ criteria is listed everywhere I look. I don't know enough about the differences between the '04s & '05 to either dispute or confirm.

Here's some links:

http://www.mynismo.com/products/?id=2593

http://mynissanparts.com/pc-855-90-ipod-interface.aspx

Its not clear if mynismo.com is packaging the harnesses and the adptor (or just omitting them from the listing), but mynissan.com lists all the harnesses needed.

Best thing would be to call and ask questions.
Old 07-27-2006, 01:37 PM

I am going to the dealer to verify this. If so I am going to buy it. I do have the BOSE 6CD and SAT radio.
Old 07-28-2006, 01:55 PM

Just got back fromt he dealer and it is true.
Old 07-28-2006, 09:00 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

does anybody know what the difference in radios are between the 05 and 04?
Old 07-29-2006, 08:56 AM

I wish there was a way I could get this to work for my 2006 SE without navi/dvd version.

I have an ipod and badly want to integrate it into my current setup. Like I have the monster cable wireless radio transmitter for my ipod, but thats just so ghetto.
Old 07-29-2006, 09:21 AM
NINE-time Maxima Owner

Nav not required... Bose probably is.
Old 07-29-2006, 09:34 AM

Nav not required... Bose probably is.

Opps. Sorry. That is what I meant. I meant Bose 6CD combo. I'm still getting used to all the options and the distinctions. I'm noob Maxima owner. But so far, I love it.
Old 07-29-2006, 10:49 AM
*moderator*

Originally Posted by SilverMaxima06
I wish there was a way I could get this to work for my 2006 SE without navi/dvd version.

I have an ipod and badly want to integrate it into my current setup. Like I have the monster cable wireless radio transmitter for my ipod, but thats just so ghetto.

Just buy the PAC AAI-NIS adaptor, it hooks right up to the SAT input and your good to go. Look in the stickies for this info guys!!

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=326195

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=340324
Old 07-29-2006, 10:50 AM
*moderator*

Originally Posted by dropspace
does anybody know what the difference in radios are between the 05 and 04?

As far as I know they are the same, what specifically are you looking for to be different or the same?
Old 07-29-2006, 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by jsmithsole
Just buy the PAC AAI-NIS adaptor, it hooks right up to the SAT input and your good to go. Look in the stickies for this info guys!!

I was hoping that there would be a way with this adapter to use both the SAT and iPOD (obviously not at the same time, but with a switch or something). The way the earlier replies read I thought that would be the case.
Old 07-29-2006, 02:02 PM

But the issue I have, which I didn't clarify correctly intially was that I don't have the SAT button with the 6CD changer (i.e. the upgraded sound system).

I was just hoping there was a way I could still use this, but looks like I can't since my car needs the SAT button.
Old 07-29-2006, 03:15 PM
*moderator*

I was hoping that there would be a way with this adapter to use both the SAT and iPOD (obviously not at the same time, but with a switch or something). The way the earlier replies read I thought that would be the case.

Oh Ok then, not sure which route to take there except the way i went...all aftermarket.
Old 07-29-2006, 03:16 PM
*moderator*

But the issue I have, which I didn't clarify correctly intially was that I don't have the SAT button with the 6CD changer (i.e. the upgraded sound system).

I was just hoping there was a way I could still use this, but looks like I can't since my car needs the SAT button.

Ahhh yes a minor detail!! If you don't have the 65 CD changer there might be a line out for that. The PAC can use either or if I remember correctly. You'd have to ask an installer and have them check it out.
Sorry and good luck guys!!
Old 07-29-2006, 03:22 PM

Ahhh yes a minor detail!! If you don't have the 65 CD changer there might be a line out for that. The PAC can use either or if I remember correctly. You'd have to ask an installer and have them check it out.
Sorry and good luck guys!!

This sucks. There must be someone out there that doesnt have the SAT button like me and would know if my HU has this line out that the PAC could possibly connect to. Bummer.
Old 07-29-2006, 03:33 PM
*moderator*

This sucks. There must be someone out there that doesnt have the SAT button like me and would know if my HU has this line out that the PAC could possibly connect to. Bummer.
Like I said just go ask an installer they can check it out and let you know...it's never over, don't give up!!!!
Old 07-29-2006, 03:52 PM

For assumptions sake, let us say that the cd player does have a line out. How do you think I would control my ipod through the main unit? Like changing song, viewing song title in the display screen, volume, etc?

And thanks for the help.
Old 07-29-2006, 04:42 PM
*moderator*

For assumptions sake, let us say that the cd player does have a line out. How do you think I would control my ipod through the main unit? Like changing song, viewing song title in the display screen, volume, etc?

And thanks for the help.

It works like the CD changer would. As far as viewing, I don't think you'd get that but limited controls for sure like volume and song up/down.
I haven't seen it first hand, but I'm sure someone around here has done it...
Old 07-30-2006, 07:01 AM

I remember reading about an iPod adapter that connects to Nissan radios through the CD interface (through an NBUS connector or something???). I'm not sure if it requires the 6 CD changer or not, but I'd definately look into that if I were you.
Old 07-30-2006, 03:22 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I just picked up an 07 SE, i have the bose and nav so this might not apply to everyones car, but i have an aux input in the lower part of the center dash for the ipod. it is an input for a headphone jack. i believe thats how the ipod would hook up. There is also an aux button on the radio for that. so you can plug any type of sound device in to listen to. Im not sure if there is another interface kit to actually control it through the radio. Hope that helps!!
Old 07-30-2006, 04:31 PM
NINE-time Maxima Owner

Yes, there is an ipod interface available from Nissan (and others) that utilizes the SAT input and gets you radio/steering wheel control of the ipod. That's in addition to the AUX in. The AUX in is new to the '07s, but the Nissan oem ipod interface is listed as being compatible with '05+ Bose radios. Aftermarket units may have a wider application base.

BTW... welcome & good luck with the ride!
Old 07-31-2006, 04:37 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I have a 2004 SE with the Bose 6 CD changer and I don't have SAT installed. Will the PA11-NIS adapter work for me? Or should I wait to see if Nissan is going to come out with an interface for the '04?
Old 07-31-2006, 08:31 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Thanks, I was not aware of the ipod adapter, i am going to have to get that now!!!

I am going to start the mods next week starting with, 20% tinted windows, debadged, smoked tails, smoked reflectors on headlight and adding 2 12" subs and amp.

Will post pics as soon as its finished
Old 07-31-2006, 10:35 AM
Cool Member

There is a new version called PAC AAI-NIS2. It supports both SAT and IPOD.
Old 07-31-2006, 11:16 AM

So I'm assuming no luck for us without the bose and 6cd changer?

Argh.
Old 08-02-2006, 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by MIKEDINERO2000
Just got back fromt he dealer and it is true.

what is true?
Old 08-03-2006, 11:57 AM

I was wrong about the with/without sat (for the Max, anyway), but it seems that the 05+ criteria is listed everywhere I look. I don't know enough about the differences between the '04s & '05 to either dispute or confirm.

Here's some links:

http://www.mynismo.com/products/?id=2593

http://mynissanparts.com/pc-855-90-ipod-interface.aspx

Its not clear if mynismo.com is packaging the harnesses and the adptor (or just omitting them from the listing), but mynissan.com lists all the harnesses needed.

Best thing would be to call and ask questions.

I just called both places. The guy (I think his name was James) at MyNismo.com was very friendly. He said that their package actually comes in 3 boxes (the interface, and 2 harnesses) and is actually everything you need to install it.

You don't lose Sat abilities, however the SAT input essentially becomes an iPod input when the iPod is plugged in.

I asked him about 2004 compatibilitiy, and he said that they hadn't tried to install it on a 2004 yet but that it might work. I said that I was pretty sure the radios between the 2004, 2005, and 2006 were identical (and he agreed). He said that if I did end up buying one to call him and he'd be willing to fax the detailed instructions to me that they use for installation. Very nice.

I then called the people at MyNissanParts.com. I asked about the 2004 compatibility and they said that no, it says it is not compatible with the 2004 Maxima. I asked if the radios were the same and he said that they were not, that he thought something with the connectors was different.

Does anyone know if this is true? I wonder if we can compare part numbers or something to determine if they are the same?

EDIT: After some checking, I found this:

http://www.trademotion.com/partlocat...04&catalogid=2

From this, it looks like there is no difference at all.
Old 08-03-2006, 12:07 PM
NINE-time Maxima Owner

I just called both places. The guy (I think his name was James) at MyNismo.com was very friendly. He said that their package actually comes in 3 boxes (the interface, and 2 harnesses) and is actually everything you need to install it.

You don't lose Sat abilities, however the SAT input essentially becomes an iPod input when the iPod is plugged in.

I asked him about 2004 compatibilitiy, and he said that they hadn't tried to install it on a 2004 yet but that it might work. I said that I was pretty sure the radios between the 2004, 2005, and 2006 were identical (and he agreed). He said that if I did end up buying one to call him and he'd be willing to fax the detailed instructions to me that they use for installation. Very nice.

I then called the people at MyNissanParts.com. I asked about the 2004 compatibility and they said that no, it says it is not compatible with the 2004 Maxima. I asked if the radios were the same and he said that they were not, that he thought something with the connectors was different.

Does anyone know if this is true? I wonder if we can compare part numbers or something to determine if they are the same?
I really don't know if they are same or different and, if different, how. It might be easier to determine (since they have been around for a while) whether the SAT radios from Nissan are the same or different for the 04 vs 05+. If there are different SAT radios then I would suspect that you would need different ipod adaptors, or at least different harnesses.
Old 08-03-2006, 12:54 PM

I really don't know if they are same or different and, if different, how. It might be easier to determine (since they have been around for a while) whether the SAT radios from Nissan are the same or different for the 04 vs 05+. If there are different SAT radios then I would suspect that you would need different ipod adaptors, or at least different harnesses.
I'm sure that the satellite radios are the same... hmm.
Old 08-04-2006, 07:08 AM

How / Where do these wires plug in? I have a GPS/ MP3 player and wonder if there is a way to hook it up.
Old 08-04-2006, 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by RichA
How / Where do these wires plug in? I have a GPS/ MP3 player and wonder if there is a way to hook it up.
I don't think that the Nissan interface would help in this case... you'd probably want to go with the PAC SAT->AUX device (they are cheaper too).
Old 08-06-2006, 03:26 PM

bump. still looking to see if there is anyone out there to help me out. thanks
Old 08-08-2006, 05:15 PM

Geez, all I want to do is play my damn iPod through my factory stereo with controls lol Why did nissan have to make this such a pain in the a$$
Old 08-08-2006, 05:24 PM

does someone have the oem part numbers for nissan?
Old 08-08-2006, 06:22 PM
NINE-time Maxima Owner

Originally Posted by Killah Kane
Geez, all I want to do is play my damn iPod through my factory stereo with controls lol Why did nissan have to make this such a pain in the a$$
Think you can do that with the PAC or USA Spec adaptors... Jury still out on OEM Nissan unit in the '04.
Old 08-09-2006, 02:41 PM
dla

Car was in for routine service this weekend and I checked into the i-pod interface. For my '05 with sat and Bose 6cd the cables (he said three of them) installed would run $495 (plus tax)! It took three techs to lift me off the floor! Obviously, I didn't do it. Maybe when I have “extra” $$$ just lying around.
Old 08-09-2006, 02:56 PM
I piss on Civics.

price quote

yeah i just stopped by the dealer after work today.. i got quoted at $595 for sat sirius install.. then $235 for only the ipod install.. if I wanted both I would be looking at about $900. you can have either sat or ipod as well as just sat or just ipod.. i think im gonna do both.. im going back on saturday to ask about something else but should i try to get part numbers for you guys?

Quick Reply: Nissan iPod interface now available from Nissan??