6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Shop refused to do header install.

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2006, 05:27 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by DA-MAX
don't really have to...on the 6th gen once the wiper cowl is removed you have plenty access room from the top...the issue is not topside clearence though, its the rear manifold heat sheilds on the bottom side that are wedged in between the firewall/subframe/motor that are a pain...they have to be removed before the precat can be dropped past the subframe. than lining up the EGR pipe is the biggest pain, with minimal room to manuver once again due to the lack of room from underneath.
Gotcha, thanks for clarifying, Addae.
Old 08-09-2006, 05:30 AM
I piss on Civics.

how lame

how lame can that shop be? to not want to install your parts just because of the work involved.. how lazy of them.. you should have made a scene and made up some bs about how you know lots of people in town and that you'll sway business from them or something... lol maybe thats too much
Old 08-09-2006, 05:41 AM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

Originally Posted by ecksy
how lame can that shop be? to not want to install your parts just because of the work involved.. how lazy of them..
in all honesty, having worked for Redline the last 4-5 months and doing installs on many different cars on my own time in the past, its better to refuse a job you are uncomfortable with rather than try to hard and really screw things up(though we have never run into a job we couldn't handle yet). granted they could have just said they were uncomfortable with it, sometimes an installer telling a small "white lie" doesn't hurt just to save face, it is a little inconvinient to the customer though...they did **** up though by quoting him the $250, researching the job beforehand is a must
Old 08-25-2006, 11:59 PM

avg labor for automotive work is about $65-$85 per hour and a job like this would take about 6-8 hours. em say 7 hours labor at $70 per hour = $490 bucks for labor. always remember you get what you pay for...

a good professional mechanic will have over $30,000 invested in his tools

a good shade tree mechanic will have about $15,000 plus invested in his tools

someone that has a less than $1000 in tools DANGEROUS !!!! STAY AWAY !!!!!
Old 08-27-2006, 10:07 AM

dam the labor alone scares me,it's a big job want everything installed correctly, my main concern r the gaskets if they ever leak just to gothru all that headache to change them, but anybody should just try goin to local speed shops since they always know about modifications
Old 08-27-2006, 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by AllBlackMax
But the guy said himself that it would be an all day job, may have to keep it overnight. So I assumed he knew what was involved. I guess when he popped the hood and saw that big a$$ engine he was like, "oh he!! no." Wasted my time though.

LoL .. our units are no lil ricer 4 bangers ... like you said .. they got over their heads and took the easy way out
Old 08-27-2006, 12:45 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I am seriously considering pulling the motor and trans to get to the header. I dont have to pull it out of the car. I think just raising it will be enough to remove the manifolds without having to use funky extensions. Any thoughts?
Old 08-27-2006, 05:49 PM
I wanna be at my maximum

Why would you go to that place,... don't you value your car? Heard that shop isn't the best........................
Old 08-27-2006, 07:51 PM
aka The Doom Ship

Originally Posted by gurlie_J_gurl
Why would you go to that place,... don't you value your car? Heard that shop isn't the best........................
Oh NOW ya'll tell me this!
Anyway, they did a good job on my springs and sway bar so hey, I gave them another shot to treat me right.

Anyway, I'm glad they backed out of the job. I guess it's hard to find a good shop around here.
Old 08-27-2006, 08:56 PM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

Originally Posted by DeusExMaxima
I am seriously considering pulling the motor and trans to get to the header. I dont have to pull it out of the car. I think just raising it will be enough to remove the manifolds without having to use funky extensions. Any thoughts?
I haven't looked close at the 6th gen engine mounting, but you might want to consider maybe undoing the rear mount(and maybe trans mount) and using the cherrypicker to tilt the motor forward pivoting it on the front mount slightly to work on the rear manifold and EGR you are a brave soul if you complete this on your own in your garage
Old 08-27-2006, 09:00 PM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

Originally Posted by stealthmax
someone that has a less than $1000 in tools DANGEROUS !!!! STAY AWAY !!!!!
BAH...long time ago before I worked in a shop or started my auto classes, I had less that $200 in tools and had done 2-3 motor swaps with hand tools.
guys with skills>>>>>>>guys with big Snap-On bills and no clue
Old 08-28-2006, 11:29 AM
Nations 1st 6th Gen Turbo

BAH...long time ago before I worked in a shop or started my auto classes, I had less that $200 in tools and had done 2-3 motor swaps with hand tools.
Get some Ada!!!
Old 08-28-2006, 11:44 AM

For sure. The tools dont make the mechanic, a good mech. can work with what he has.
Old 08-28-2006, 12:03 PM
Nations 1st 6th Gen Turbo

Pretty much everything on the Nissan can be removed with 1 metric socket set (8mm-16mm mostly), screw drivers (Philip's/flathead), a set of Allen's, long nose pliers and a hammer (just in case you want to hit someone)...

Anyway, what Glude said!!!
Old 08-28-2006, 01:04 PM
I wanna be at my maximum

Originally Posted by AllBlackMax
Oh NOW ya'll tell me this!
Anyway, they did a good job on my springs and sway bar so hey, I gave them another shot to treat me right.

Anyway, I'm glad they backed out of the job. I guess it's hard to find a good shop around here.
if your not sure on a place,... consult the dne guys.... people that know where to go and where def. not to go ........ if ya not a member ya need to be
http://www.nissanforums.com/dallas-nissan-enthusiasts/
Old 08-28-2006, 01:14 PM
westler92

Originally Posted by Puppetmaster
Technically, everything he said was true.

The gaskets from Hotshot are known to suck. Ask any one of the 5th Gen guys with Hotshots who've had to replace their gaskets.

And yeah, it is federal law that they can be fined for illegal tampering of emissions equipment and that your car is not street legal with those headers on.

You need to find a shop or hookup willing to take more chances and the effort to install em. Get in touch with some local .Orgers and see if they can help you.
+1 Or find a shop that is in a city where there is no limitations on that stuff. Here in Nevada, all us Modders live in Pahrump technically according to our reg. Keeps insurance low as heck too.......