6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.
View Poll Results: What is the best intake for 6th Gen?
AEM
5.45%
Stillen
11.82%
Injen
30.00%
Fujita
36.36%
K&N
6.36%
Perrin
0%
Other (Post in thread)
10.00%
Voters: 110. You may not vote on this poll

Best Intake for 6th Gen?

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2006, 09:17 AM

Best Intake for 6th Gen?

Hey everyone..

Wanted some opinions on what you think the best intake is for the 6th gen. I'm looking to put one in shortly. I appreciate all opinions thanks. Put up a Poll to go along as well.
Old 08-25-2006, 09:33 AM
Banned

Ok I know you're kinda new but...gotta say it

Old 08-25-2006, 09:39 AM
SHIFT_om nom nom nom

Good question, never been asked before.

10/10

Would read again.

Would recommend to others.

IBTL.
Old 08-25-2006, 09:40 AM
SHIFT_om nom nom nom

My opinion is not to bother with a worthless CAI, to save up and get a real upgrade such as headers.
Old 08-25-2006, 10:16 AM
Newbie just Registered

Stock with panel filter
Old 08-25-2006, 10:42 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

From my experience with cold air intake and JWT cone filter on a 4th gen,
K&N panel filter is the way to go for my 6th gen.
Old 08-25-2006, 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by Metal Maxima
Good question, never been asked before.

10/10

Would read again.

Would recommend to others.

IBTL.

10char
Old 08-25-2006, 11:30 AM

Berk Technology. Didn't feel any real gains, but the sound increase is so yummy...
Old 08-25-2006, 02:00 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Panel Filter??

When you guys say Panel Filter....is that saying a K&N Filter that goes in the stock intake box?? Or just a normal, standard paper filter???
Old 08-25-2006, 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by puroputo
When you guys say Panel Filter....is that saying a K&N Filter that goes in the stock intake box?? Or just a normal, standard paper filter???
ummmmm are you serious? A "paper filter?" And yes, just the K&N filter in the stock air box.
Old 08-25-2006, 03:00 PM

I looked for weeks before getting mine and ended on the Fujita. Don't think I was wrong after I put it in. I know people with the Nismo and Injen RD and much prefer the results with the Fujita.
Old 08-25-2006, 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by Nietzsche
I looked for weeks before getting mine and ended on the Fujita. Don't think I was wrong after I put it in. I know people with the Nismo and Injen RD and much prefer the results with the Fujita.
It's all jsut sound after a week or so though. Unless you get your ecu done by Technosquare, or disconnect the negative from the battery like every week or 2. So $250 I will put towards handling. But as always, just my opinion
Old 08-25-2006, 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by puroputo
When someone is reffering to a panel filter it could be a paper, foam, or the K&N filter which ever one is to be used with the stock air box.
Old 08-25-2006, 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by Albert
From my experience with cold air intake and JWT cone filter on a 4th gen,
K&N panel filter is the way to go for my 6th gen.
whats the part # for the K&N panel filter?
Old 08-25-2006, 04:40 PM

Aem

Originally Posted by !PrjctMax!
It's all jsut sound after a week or so though. Unless you get your ecu done by Technosquare, or disconnect the negative from the battery like every week or 2. So $250 I will put towards handling. But as always, just my opinion

First the AEM CAI that goes all the way down in front of the car gives the most mid range hp and torque (which turns the Max in to a Cruise Missile). Sounds pretty good too! In terms of gain I would say AEM is 1, InJen is 2 tied with Fujita but that is just through personal observation from forum feed back.

Second: You do not have to disconnect the battery to reflash the ECU. It takes about one minute and is totally safe. You can do it as many times as you want: Follow these instructions to flash the ECU: Leave your seat belt un-buckled. Put the KEY in to the ingnition and turn the key all the way to the right as if you were turning on the car but do not turn start the engine: All the lights are on the dash. Count to 3 seconds....one one thousand, two one thousand three one thousand...you will finish the count to three just before the third beep (There are four beeps all together). At the end of the third count or just after the third beep press down on the gas pedal all the way to the end 5 times. Make sure you floor it all the way. Count to five as you're doing this...the cadence should be: one thousand, two thousand, three thousand, four thousand, five thousand. Then count to seven seconds with your foot OFF the gas pedal and then floor the pedal for about 30 seconds until you will see the yellow "Service Engine Soon" light start to blink (slow blink)....release the pedal and then floor the gas pedal for about 10 seconds...the light will start to blink faster then release again. At this point turn off the ignition, wait three seconds and then turn the engine on...Voila, poof, your ECU is flashed. My experience is that it stays flashed for a couple of hundred KM's or about 100 miles. Usually if you try to reflash it, it will not blink or it may blink but not fast: This means that it is still flashed. There you have it. In under two minutes you have MAXimum power!

Now go and get 94 octane and then be carefull when getting on the highway! LOL! If you have a UR UDP and have a Greddy cat back or like me, removed the stock resonator and put on a custom stainless pipe before the mufflers....hehehe...enjoy the sound and the scenerey...just please be careful and please do not street race! Take it to the track or your favorite abandoned air strip etc.

I have just upgraded by brakes: Brembo cross-drilled and venilated over size rotors with Hawk HPS pads. This is cause the Max has to be tamed....it takes about 10 meters or 30 feet longer for the stock Max to stop from 60 - 0 than most other cars in it's class: V6 Accords, Camrys, Mazdaspeed 6's etc.

My next four projects are: Eibach lowering springs, Custom Designed Y-pipe, custom rear y-pipe going to two performance mufflers (I have not made up my mind yet although Greddy and Remus are on this list) and then:
the APEXi NEO. I will need this as the car will be running lean after the y-pipe. I am against installing a HI-FLO Cat as you do need a bit of back-pressure otherwise....

My last mod will be a custom designed ground effects kit similar to one available on the new Lexus IS 350. And maybe the new 07 Max spoiler....I am curious how many here like it better than the 04-05-06 spoiler.

Later if you want you can install a computer: APEXi NEO or similar or reprogram the ECU with TS.

Most importantly: Have fun with your car and don't let it run your life!
Old 08-25-2006, 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by xorbitman
First the AEM CAI that goes all the way down in front of the car gives the most mid range hp and torque (which turns the Max in to a Cruise Missile). Sounds pretty good too! In terms of gain I would say AEM is 1, InJen is 2 tied with Fujita but that is just through personal observation from forum feed back.

Second: You do not have to disconnect the battery to reflash the ECU. It takes about one minute and is totally safe. You can do it as many times as you want: Follow these instructions to flash the ECU: Leave your seat belt un-buckled. Put the KEY in to the ingnition and turn the key all the way to the right as if you were turning on the car but do not turn start the engine: All the lights are on the dash. Count to 3 seconds....one one thousand, two one thousand three one thousand...you will finish the count to three just before the third beep (There are four beeps all together). At the end of the third count or just after the third beep press down on the gas pedal all the way to the end 5 times. Make sure you floor it all the way. Count to five as you're doing this...the cadence should be: one thousand, two thousand, three thousand, four thousand, five thousand. Then count to seven seconds with your foot OFF the gas pedal and then floor the pedal for about 30 seconds until you will see the yellow "Service Engine Soon" light start to blink (slow blink)....release the pedal and then floor the gas pedal for about 10 seconds...the light will start to blink faster then release again. At this point turn off the ignition, wait three seconds and then turn the engine on...Voila, poof, your ECU is flashed. My experience is that it stays flashed for a couple of hundred KM's or about 100 miles. Usually if you try to reflash it, it will not blink or it may blink but not fast: This means that it is still flashed. There you have it. In under two minutes you have MAXimum power!

Now go and get 94 octane and then be carefull when getting on the highway! LOL! If you have a UR UDP and have a Greddy cat back or like me, removed the stock resonator and put on a custom stainless pipe before the mufflers....hehehe...enjoy the sound and the scenerey...just please be careful and please do not street race! Take it to the track or your favorite abandoned air strip etc.

I have just upgraded by brakes: Brembo cross-drilled and venilated over size rotors with Hawk HPS pads. This is cause the Max has to be tamed....it takes about 10 meters or 30 feet longer for the stock Max to stop from 60 - 0 than most other cars in it's class: V6 Accords, Camrys, Mazdaspeed 6's etc.

My next four projects are: Eibach lowering springs, Custom Designed Y-pipe, custom rear y-pipe going to two performance mufflers (I have not made up my mind yet although Greddy and Remus are on this list) and then:
the APEXi NEO. I will need this as the car will be running lean after the y-pipe. I am against installing a HI-FLO Cat as you do need a bit of back-pressure otherwise....

My last mod will be a custom designed ground effects kit similar to one available on the new Lexus IS 350. And maybe the new 07 Max spoiler....I am curious how many here like it better than the 04-05-06 spoiler.

Later if you want you can install a computer: APEXi NEO or similar or reprogram the ECU with TS.

Most importantly: Have fun with your car and don't let it run your life!
ooo only for a 100 miles? damn i was really looking for a permenant flash that didn't require me to ship my ECU away...does anybody kno if i can just buy another ecu and then reflash that one and put it in my car? i mean another 6th gen ECU...??
Old 08-25-2006, 06:23 PM

07 spoiler for me though...
Old 08-25-2006, 07:02 PM

WOW xorbit THANK you so much. Really appreciate it.
Old 08-25-2006, 07:03 PM

I agree w/Mister 07 Spoiler for me too.
Old 08-25-2006, 08:03 PM
Newbie just Registered

Originally Posted by aryathegreat
whats the part # for the K&N panel filter?

33-2031-2.
Old 08-25-2006, 08:08 PM
Newbie just Registered

Originally Posted by MisterSparkle
ooo only for a 100 miles? damn i was really looking for a permenant flash that didn't require me to ship my ECU away...does anybody kno if i can just buy another ecu and then reflash that one and put it in my car? i mean another 6th gen ECU...??
You still need to get the keys programmed. Just rent a car for a couple of days.
Old 08-25-2006, 08:38 PM

Hey xorbitman, I thought Brembo did not make cross-dilled/slotted rotors... That was great info though!
Old 08-26-2006, 05:27 AM

Originally Posted by xorbitman
First the AEM CAI that goes all the way down in front of the car gives the most mid range hp and torque (which turns the Max in to a Cruise Missile). Sounds pretty good too! In terms of gain I would say AEM is 1, InJen is 2 tied with Fujita but that is just through personal observation from forum feed back.....
I know the Nismo goes all the way down into the wheel well and I am pretty sure the Fujita does as well. As far as I know, the only proven CAI numbers were put up by Tek for the Fujita. I believe his dyno was with the Fujita only, no other mods. So I wouldn't rank AEM #1, not saying it's bad or anything like that, I just have to go with the proven numbers to give the #1 ranking.

My experience with the Nismo CAI is this:
1. My take off is not what it used to be with the K&N panel filter/stock setup.
2. My upper midrange 4k rpm+ and top end pull definitely seems stronger. ( 70mph ----->) Great for highway driving.
3. Gas mileage is a better by about 1mpg
4. The Nismo, and probably most intakes are going to sound much better than stock. Maybe some have had a chance to hear some of them side by side in the 6th gen.

My recommendation: Enjoy the sound of your CAI but don't be fooled about real performance gains without the TS ECU flash.
Old 08-27-2006, 05:45 PM
I wanna be at my maximum

Originally Posted by Apollos2
My experience with the Nismo CAI is this:
1. My take off is not what it used to be with the K&N panel filter/stock setup.
2. My upper midrange 4k rpm+ and top end pull definitely seems stronger. ( 70mph ----->) Great for highway driving.
3. Gas mileage is a better by about 1mpg
4. The Nismo, and probably most intakes are going to sound much better than stock. Maybe some have had a chance to hear some of them side by side in the 6th gen.
yes i agree, i've had mine on for about 4 months now and it's dandy, don't have any complaints bout it.
Old 08-28-2006, 11:55 AM
Nations 1st 6th Gen Turbo

I like the Injen, however if I ever went for a swap, it would be a toss up between NISMO or Fujita ...
Old 08-28-2006, 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by chernmax
I like the Injen, however if I ever went for a swap, it would be a toss up between NISMO or Fujita ...
They are basically the same thing so just save your money. This thread is kinda dumb because intakes dont really do much at all. Why start a thread about something thats been beaten to death a million times? Its all subjective to color, sound, and if you want a cold air or warm air intake.
Old 08-30-2006, 10:06 PM

here's a vid i did of before and after installing my berk.

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v4...ent=Before.flv

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v4...rent=After.flv

feels like it pulls harder up top, but then again it could be a mental thing.
Old 08-31-2006, 09:50 AM
Nations 1st 6th Gen Turbo

Originally Posted by Glude
They are basically the same thing so just save your money. This thread is kinda dumb because intakes dont really do much at all. Why start a thread about something thats been beaten to death a million times? Its all subjective to color, sound, and if you want a cold air or warm air intake.
Yes but remember, I do believe a CAI will give performance gains if the car is properly dyno tuned with an APEX or TS flash of the ECU. Just ask my dog...

And I wasn't stating I was going to buy another CAI, I just meant if I had a choice, I may have gone with another brand however when I got my CAI, Injen was the only true CAI available...
Old 09-03-2006, 06:19 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

nice info i was thinking about geting the nismo cai bec. i wasent sure if i went with another brand the dealer would give me $hit for my extended warranty
Old 09-03-2006, 08:25 AM

Just because it's nismo doesn't mean it doesn't void your warranty.
Old 09-03-2006, 08:46 AM

thought nismo parts were the exception to the warantee rule? But it has to be installed by them something like that? not too sure
Old 09-03-2006, 05:25 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

i figured that since i got it from the dealership it wouldent void it but i guess i better ask the service department
Old 09-03-2006, 07:06 PM

How often does 1 have to clean the filter
Old 09-03-2006, 09:09 PM

nismo parts have there own warranty depending on if they are S or R tune. No matter what they void factory warranty. If your service guys are cool they just won't care about it and fix things.
Old 09-10-2006, 04:37 PM

I really can't decide which one to get. I found the Fujita on eBay (link is right here) and I just can't make up my mind..Fujita/Injen/Nismo/Stillen/AEM?? I was going towards Fujita because if you click there's two vids of the Fujita on 04 Max SE, one on Dyno and one inside the car while driving w/intake.

Any ideas? Would any of you take the Fujita? Where do they sell Nismo intakes..haven't seen one on eBay for 04-06 yet. Thanks. Real hard choice though to decide which intake. Do you think Cold Air Intake is the best intake for the Max?
Old 09-10-2006, 04:45 PM

^^^ This has been disputed many times, but I think that most would say that the Fujita is the "best" intake. Fujita was founded by someone that left Injen. Nismo you can pretty much get at any stealership or browsing online.

As for power.........you will loose a little low end but gain more at 4000 and up, but after a few days or so the ECU will re-adapt itself to "stock" settings, this is why you should also get the Techno-Square ecu for optimal performance! http://www.technosquareinc.com/index.html

Good Luck
Dan
Old 09-10-2006, 04:57 PM

Thank you for helping me out Dan. Maybe I should get my car serviced at Nissan before I do any of these and void the warranty..lol..that would be smart. Unfortunately, need new spark plug, need 12V fixed, and TRANNY IS STARTING TO SLIP..i have NO idea why. Like, I'll put it into drive, press gas slowly, it rolls, then theres a huge jerk, then it goes.
Old 09-10-2006, 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by Defiant_Max04
Thank you for helping me out Dan. Maybe I should get my car serviced at Nissan before I do any of these and void the warranty..lol..that would be smart. Unfortunately, need new spark plug, need 12V fixed, and TRANNY IS STARTING TO SLIP..i have NO idea why. Like, I'll put it into drive, press gas slowly, it rolls, then theres a huge jerk, then it goes.
ECU/lenses won't void warranty
and how many miles do you have on the car, and is it auto? thats quite strange if you ask me, but judging from your Shift_Leadfoot..................i wouldnt be surprised! lol There's still something very wrong with that
Old 09-10-2006, 05:06 PM
aka The Doom Ship

I would go with AEM.

1. One piece design
2. My dyno numbers suggest that I'm producing slightly more torque than others, 256.3 at the wheels.
Old 09-10-2006, 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by AllBlackMax
I would go with AEM.

1. One piece design
2. My dyno numbers suggest that I'm producing slightly more torque than others, 256.3 at the wheels.
I'm going to assume that's with more than an intake..... And the newer version of the Fujita is one piece as well http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=476150

Quick Reply: Best Intake for 6th Gen?