6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Hit and run accident today

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2006, 04:27 PM

Hit and run accident today

I was in the stop-and-go traffic on the 405N this morning. A cement-mixing truck just plowed into me rear. I pulled off the road and the guy just kept driving away. There is no license plate in the back. Luckily the traffic was terrible. So I pulled pass him to read the front plate and tried to wave him down. The guy kept going. So I just be cool and follow him to the dusty cement factory and then left for work. I just called the CAHighwayPatrol and will come in to make a report. They 1st wanted to send a car over but then called and re-arrange (too many accidents today). Men, I wish he just stopped and be cool about the wholething. Now it's a mess. I guess I may need a new bumper. The damage is minimal, some scratches which I can buff out. But the whole bumper is shifted down. There is a 1/4" gap with the lamp-housing now. Some how the crooked trunklid now looks even. Any suggestions about this kind of accident ?
Old 09-20-2006, 04:37 PM
Banned

That idiot is probobly going to lose his job for trying to hit and run while on the job.
Old 09-20-2006, 04:48 PM

I don't want the guy to loose his job. Also it's a felony to hit and run. My insurance wants me to file the report. And I'm sure the CHP will ask me if I want to file charge against the guy.
Old 09-20-2006, 04:52 PM
'Trynna' is not a word

Umm, sorry but screw him! He's the one that hit you and then took off!!!
Old 09-20-2006, 05:00 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Don't screw him...What goes around, comes around again.
Let him have carma after him, as far as you know, he probably didn't even notice he hit you since you said it was minimal damage. I am not defending him just providing a possible explanation. Have you ever driven a huge heavy truck like a cement truck? He probably didn't realize the accident. anyways, hope everything works out well.
Old 09-20-2006, 05:03 PM
Nations 1st 6th Gen Turbo

Originally Posted by mtrai760
Umm, sorry but screw him! He's the one that hit you and then took off!!!

What he said...
Old 09-20-2006, 05:08 PM
'Trynna' is not a word

Karma starts with a 'K', and how is this going to come back around to him? Lets see, he hits you, then breaks the law by taking off. Have I ever driven a large truck? Is 35k lbs on the scales enough for you? Ive also driven Army fuel trucks, around 60k+ lbs, but never hit a scale on base, lol. Your not actually screwing anyone by making them follow the law. When I said screw him, I meant it as 'don't worry about him'. He has already chosen his fate by leaving the scene of a crime. Or, you can take the hit on your own insurance record and to your own pocket and pay for the repairs yourself. Meanwhile, Mr. Safe driver goes and creams a family of 4 in his cement truck and then takes off because hey, he's done it before and nothing happened to him. Anyone watch comedy central? Dee dee dee.
Old 09-20-2006, 05:48 PM

Thanks everyone.
I guess I will go forward with the police report but I won't file charges if asked. I'm sure the guy will be in enough trouble with just that.
Old 09-20-2006, 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by chernmax
What he said...

Yep.........
Old 09-20-2006, 06:09 PM

You should have follwed the guy until he got out and then hit him and drive off
Old 09-20-2006, 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by MaxFan
Thanks everyone.
I guess I will go forward with the police report but I won't file charges if asked. I'm sure the guy will be in enough trouble with just that.
Don't worry about the driver, the company has insurance for such accidents
Old 09-20-2006, 07:53 PM

I was in a hit and run accident in october of last year which totalled my altima. We ended up going to court and the only thing the person got was a fine, some points added to his records, and was allowed to take drivers ed class. I thought hit and run accidents were a really big deal but after I went through all of this the punishment is just weak. I guess its only a big deal when there is a fatality involved. good luck to you in resolving this.
Old 09-20-2006, 08:38 PM

It all depends on what state your in. I live in Illinois/Iowa and they don't take kindly to driving infractions.
Old 09-20-2006, 09:03 PM

Talk about Karma!! 4 months ago i was in my Grand Prix heading home. Well, getting off the highway, the ramp has 3 lanes. Left lane goes left, middle goes left or straight and right goes right. I was in the middle lane WITH my turn signal on and there was a new Chevy Silverado in the left lane. Light turned green and instead of the truck staying in his lane, he merged into mine as he made the turn. Well, thats kinda hard to do when im in that lane. Needless to say he pushed me right up against the curb before i could come to a stop. I was pissed!!! All i could think about was what got damaged. I start flashing my high beams and the **shole starts slamming his brakes. >=| Called 911, gave our location of travel and here they came behind me. Make a long story a little shorter, they went through his truck and found an open beer and pot. All he had to do is stop in the first place so i could verify any damage to my car. Funny part, there was none. Karma baby!! New truck towed, night in jail and fines out the butt.
Old 09-20-2006, 09:24 PM

my prediction:
He'll claim he didn't even know he hit you and then insurance companies will just settle it between them .... unless you have a witness

not defending him but ...
funny thing is I used to drive truck for a living and bumping into a car wouldn't feel like anything for the most part .... the things weigh so much (70-80,ooo lbs) that tapping a 3500 lb car would only feel like a minor bump in the road
Old 09-20-2006, 09:38 PM

if i were you, file the report with the CHP even if you do not want to press charges. The asswipe that was driving the truck possess a class A license therefore he is not allowed to have any accidents nor traffic violations or else his class a gets revoked. the police report also goes to your insuranc ecompany who will deem you not at fault and not increase your premium.
Old 09-20-2006, 09:41 PM

I don't want the guy to loose his job. Also it's a felony to hit and run. My insurance wants me to file the report. And I'm sure the CHP will ask me if I want to file charge against the guy.

FYI, hit and run with property damage only = misdemeanor
hit and run with great bodily injury= felony
hit and run with waton disregard or reckless endangerment = felony
Old 09-21-2006, 01:47 PM
KC's FINEST

Pics of said damage?
Old 09-21-2006, 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by KCmaxx
Pics of said damage?
^^^. What he said.
Old 09-21-2006, 02:00 PM

was he loaded, cause if he was, they only have like 30 min, to get to their destination, because if the load gets hard in there is not going to be pretty(didnt sound right dit it? ), and ill be a huge loss for the company including the barrel of the truck no just the cement., so i think his boss told him to do that on minor accidents.
Old 09-21-2006, 03:22 PM

I am pretty sure he did even feel hitting your car. Heard that many times. But, he should not be tailing that close if he can't see. He, not you, made a mistake but I don't think its a hit and run.

Talk to the dispatcher. Tell him you don't want the guy fired but to tell the driver the impact of his distraction/negligence. You are the one loosing all the way. You are lucky he did not plow up to the front bumper.
Old 09-21-2006, 08:38 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by MAX2DAMAX
was he loaded, cause if he was, they only have like 30 min, to get to their destination, because if the load gets hard in there is not going to be pretty(didnt sound right dit it? ), and ill be a huge loss for the company including the barrel of the truck no just the cement., so i think his boss told him to do that on minor accidents.
It hardens even if the barrel is spinning?
Old 09-21-2006, 08:40 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by caldeputy
FYI, hit and run with property damage only = misdemeanor
hit and run with great bodily injury= felony
hit and run with waton disregard or reckless endangerment = felony
Are you a lawyer or just a n00b?
Old 09-21-2006, 08:45 PM

Originally Posted by MAX2DAMAX
He was on the way back to the yard and the barrel wasnot spinning, so I don't think it was loaded. I filed the report today. And since there is no blood spilled, the CHP was cool about it. They will take their time to investigate. Samething with my insurance. I'm left to hold the deductible until the whole thing sorted out. This is the time for a lawyer. If you want to protect your rights to the fullest, you may need a lawyer. My car was total by a reckless kid driving on the shoulder. I saw a letter showing big $$$ on my part. I got a lawyer and got compensated for everything nice and easy.
Old 09-22-2006, 01:06 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

MAXFAN- if you didn’t want him to get in trouble and be all happy joy joy with this fool, I would have just gotten out of the car once he got to the factory and taken my golf clubs and wedged against the side of his head, then I would have drove away and called the cops on hit and run, and never reported the guy.

But for real if you dont report this your doing everyone in the state of California an injustice, by letting an idiot that drives a killing machine around, without anything to fear.
Old 09-22-2006, 05:54 AM

Originally Posted by 04BlackMaxx
Are you a lawyer or just a n00b?
lawyer, no
noob, yes
Old 09-22-2006, 06:48 AM

That sucks...I think hit & run's should be jail time.
Old 09-23-2006, 07:05 AM

So the 1st estimate is $521 + a few days car rental. They will "recycle" the bumper (since there is no crack, they will fix it). Since it only costs $21 to my insurance, I don't think they need to fight hard on my behalf. I'm left to eat most of the $$$ and all the trouble. This is craps... I hope the CHP will find the other party and complete their report. Or my insurance will find and notify the other party so they can come to the table and take their share. I also can find out the company who owns that truck and contact them (why?). But I will give it some time to take shape. If nobody cares much for my rights, I will get a lawyer.
Old 09-25-2006, 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by 04BlackMaxx
It hardens even if the barrel is spinning?
yes it does my friend, for a cement truck driver being stock in traffic its a nightmare.
Old 09-26-2006, 12:17 PM
I Donate! Why Don't You?

not worth claiming it since the deductible is $500. I would try working something with the business....or did I miss something. Get couple of hundreds from the cement place and fix it later on, possibly changing the bumper to 07. Thats just what I would do in NY at least.
Old 09-27-2006, 06:26 PM

My insurance found the other party and sent them a letter. I'm waiting to see what they do. I havenot called the CHP for a final report. When a settlement is done, I will see if the '07 bumper would fit (would it ?). I can have a bodyshop friend buy/paint the piece. He can probably have the whole thing done under $500.
Old 09-27-2006, 07:26 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

So the 1st estimate is $521 + a few days car rental. They will "recycle" the bumper (since there is no crack, they will fix it). Since it only costs $21 to my insurance, I don't think they need to fight hard on my behalf. I'm left to eat most of the $$$ and all the trouble. This is craps... I hope the CHP will find the other party and complete their report. Or my insurance will find and notify the other party so they can come to the table and take their share. I also can find out the company who owns that truck and contact them (why?). But I will give it some time to take shape. If nobody cares much for my rights, I will get a lawyer.

I told you to just run him over
Old 09-28-2006, 07:53 AM

I hate those and dump trucks. Seems they all spew rocks as they drive down the highway and they don't give a $h|+.
Old 09-28-2006, 08:16 AM

Originally Posted by caldeputy
The asswipe that was driving the truck possess a class A license therefore he is not allowed to have any accidents nor traffic violations or else his class a gets revoked.
Not true. My husband is a truck driver with his class A as well. The trucking industry needs drivers so badly that companies will often overlook infractions, just to keep drivers on hand.

The law allows for infractions as well. Just like regular car license carriers. We are allowed to get just so many tickets/accidents, before facing a loss of our license and driving rights.

Just had to set the record straight.

Also, I would have chased down the guy that plugged my car also. Most dump trucks don't have to carry a license on the rear of the truck. Yet they are responsible for a lot of broken windshields. Go figure.!

Good luck with your car. I, too would have pummeled him!
Old 09-28-2006, 09:12 AM

Still no pics??

: