6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Change rotors

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2006, 02:00 PM

Change rotors

How hard is it to change the front rotors? I should just be remove the brake caliper and replace the rotors, then install new pads when I reinstall the calipers. Am I right?

Mike
Old 09-24-2006, 03:06 PM

Fo sho!

2 bolts holding caliper on
Take off and secure it some where (do not let it hand off the brake lines)
One screw holding rotor on-take off
And I would believe you just smack it off now

Dan
Old 09-24-2006, 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by !PrjctMax!
Fo sho!

2 bolts holding caliper on
Take off and secure it some where (do not let it hand off the brake lines)
One screw holding rotor on-take off
And I would believe you just smack it off now

Dan
I dont think there are any screws holding the rotor on?? the rotor is held in place by the pads, calipers, and of course... the wheel.
Old 09-24-2006, 04:35 PM

There is one BIG screw holding it on
Old 09-24-2006, 04:40 PM
.org extraordinaire

Originally Posted by !PrjctMax!
There is one BIG screw holding it on
Sorry bro, but your talking about the rear. The front has nothing holding it inplace.

The easiest way is to remove the entire caliper bracket 2x19mm screws. This way you dont have to disasemble the caliper and the pads etc.....

Kamski
Old 09-25-2006, 04:41 AM
Banned

Id like new pads and rotors up front, but know the dealer is going to rape me, id liek to do it myself but im kind of afraid ill get it all taken apart and run into an issue like not being able to get the pads in or something. What is it abbout $200 for OEM rotors and pads?
Old 09-25-2006, 06:36 AM

Originally Posted by kamilkluczewski
Sorry bro, but your talking about the rear. The front has nothing holding it inplace.

The easiest way is to remove the entire caliper bracket 2x19mm screws. This way you dont have to disasemble the caliper and the pads etc.....

Kamski
Even in the rear, still nothing holding the rotor on? I watched my buddy pull my rotors off. There is that rubber insert that goes into the rear rotor thats about the size of a nickel or a quarter, it also has a flat head screwdriver slot on it. But I was told that was just the cover for the ebrake adjustment?? Once the caliper is removed, the rotor should come right off, with a smack or six to break the "rust seal".
Old 09-25-2006, 07:22 AM

Thanks for the advice fellas. I will attempt the rotor change this weekend.

Mike

Old 09-25-2006, 10:41 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I did all 4 in the spring. Standard brake job. No bolts holding rotors but you need imagination to get a couple of the caliper bolts off (can't remember if its front or back). Push the pads in before removing each caliper. Much easier when reassembing caliper with the new pads. Read manual about burnishing the pads (break-in).

WD40 is your best friend
Old 09-25-2006, 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by kamilkluczewski

Kamski
I guess that's what I was thinking about then. On my sister's civic she had the screws holding on her front rotors too, so that's why I kind of figured that it was like that on my car as well. Since I remembered seeing them somewhere, just didn't remember if it was in front or rear. But it's resolved now!
Old 09-25-2006, 01:32 PM
my rear view mirrors flap like a f-ing bird

not sure what info was given here, but....

there are 4 bolts in total, 2 holding the caliper braket to the hub, and 2 hold the caliper to the braket.

you can do this 2 ways:

#1. take the big bolts off the braket only and the whole thing will come off after you seperate the pads alittle with a screw driver. you can now get to the rotor and pads at once. it may be harder to get new pads on this way since you have to squeeze the cylinder in to get the new pads on.

#2. take off all 4 bolts, so the caliper is off the braket. this way will be easier to replace the pads.

now, either way you have to take the braket off for sure, you can't get to the rotor without taking it off.

the con is: the braket bolts are way harder to take off than the caliper ones.
Old 09-25-2006, 02:05 PM
my rear view mirrors flap like a f-ing bird

Old 09-25-2006, 02:53 PM
.org extraordinaire

Originally Posted by NVRSATISFYD
Even in the rear, still nothing holding the rotor on? I watched my buddy pull my rotors off. There is that rubber insert that goes into the rear rotor thats about the size of a nickel or a quarter, it also has a flat head screwdriver slot on it. But I was told that was just the cover for the ebrake adjustment?? Once the caliper is removed, the rotor should come right off, with a smack or six to break the "rust seal".
Yes I'm sorry it is a rubber gromet, go figure I just did my front and rear pads on Sunday but didnt even bother removing the rotor since I installed the rear ones long time ago. Anywhoo, the rubber gromet is used to pop open the rear access to the ebrak adjustment gear.

Kamski
Old 09-25-2006, 02:57 PM
.org extraordinaire

Originally Posted by Tek-Niq
Harder to remove but, so much easier to just put back on instead of having everything fall apart.

Kamski