6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

chewing through rear brakes? LOWERED? YEAH

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2006, 09:50 AM
.org extraordinaire

chewing through rear brakes? LOWERED? YEAH

So I just read in the brakes section that since our cars are lowered the EBD control module will send more braking power to the rear brakes, this is kind of pissing me off cause I'm replacing my rear pads every 10K-15K.

Anyone else have this issue? Anyone (ehm nissan techs) know how to disable the EBD module on lowered cars or adjust them for compensation on lowered vehicles?

Thanks Fellas,

Kamski
Old 10-30-2006, 10:04 AM

If we're just lowered with stock brake set-up should we worry about this issue as well?

dan
Old 10-30-2006, 11:53 AM
I Donate! Why Don't You?

wierd, I gotta check my rear pads.
Old 10-30-2006, 01:37 PM

Since we're on this subject. Would getting front 4POT Wilwoods and rear 2POT Wilwoods also effect the bias like you're saying?
Old 10-30-2006, 05:05 PM
I Donate! Why Don't You?

Where did you see 2 pot wilwoods for the rear? Does Brian offer those?
Old 10-30-2006, 05:48 PM

sheet, I guess he doesn't then. lol I just assumed that he might. So would 4 pot in front and rear just mess everything up?
Old 10-30-2006, 09:41 PM
.org extraordinaire

Originally Posted by !PrjctMax!
sheet, I guess he doesn't then. lol I just assumed that he might. So would 4 pot in front and rear just mess everything up?

WHOOOOA NELLY, he does have them for the 350Z and G35 and since I have seen an ALTIMA 3.5SE with the BREMBO kit from the 350Z its pretty safe to assume the rear Willwood kit from him will fit our cars as well.

He hasnt released anything yet officially because there is no market for it, but ask him about the G35/350Z kit and you should be set. The rears use Dynalite Single Dual side caliper (Tough name for a 2 pot caliper ).

Anywhoo, even before I got my BBK I was chewing through rear pads pretty fast. Now that I have more stopping power I'm eating them up even faster.

I have a feeling that if i put on the stock rear springs all will be good again, yet I dont want to ruin the way my ride is now and the Cattman springs provide me with just enough (FUN FACTOR). So I'm looking into an alternative to fix my rear bias issue. Maybe a bias adapter from willwood or something....

Kam
Old 11-01-2006, 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by kamilkluczewski
WHOOOOA NELLY, he does have them for the 350Z and G35 and since I have seen an ALTIMA 3.5SE with the BREMBO kit from the 350Z its pretty safe to assume the rear Willwood kit from him will fit our cars as well.
Kam, are you saying that the stock gold brembos from 350z could actually be installed in the Altima w/o significant modification?

Where did you see this?
Old 11-10-2006, 10:32 AM
.org extraordinaire

Originally Posted by ardika
Kam, are you saying that the stock gold brembos from 350z could actually be installed in the Altima w/o significant modification?

Where did you see this?
At Nissanclub.com/forums

Some dude installed them on his black Altima, since the same part fit our car........... god speed!

Kam
Old 11-10-2006, 05:53 PM
aka The Doom Ship

I don't think being lowered is your problem. I've been lowered for about a year now and have no rear brake problems. It's my front brakes that are toast. My Brembo rotors just came in today and my Hawk HPS pads should be here by Monday.

My front passenger side brakes are making an awful clunking/grinding noise when I drive now. Hope the caliper ain't damaged.
Old 11-11-2006, 02:57 PM

it might be cause your running on slotted rotors...i've read that slotted rotor, while giving better stopping power chew through brake pads lik a ham slicer...lolxz
Old 11-11-2006, 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by MisterSparkle
it might be cause your running on slotted rotors...i've read that slotted rotor, while giving better stopping power chew through brake pads lik a ham slicer...lolxz
NOTHING gives you better stopping power other than blanks. Slotted/drilled only provide better stopping power while under hard braking constantly. Just think about it, blank=most surface area, slotted=best ventilation and drilled=worse surface area but decent ventilation but more prone to cracking.

Dan
Old 11-11-2006, 03:34 PM
I Donate! Why Don't You?

NOTHING gives you better stopping power other than blanks. Slotted/drilled only provide better stopping power while under hard braking constantly. Just think about it, blank=most surface area, slotted=best ventilation and drilled=worse surface area but decent ventilation but more prone to cracking.

Dan
Sounds right!. Under normal driving condition blanks will give you most traction area, thus providing better stopping power. For track use, the vents will be more usefull as they will not only vent (cool) your brake system faster but also let the pad gasses escape through these slots/holes. Please note however that with modern brake pads, the gas problem has been nearly eliminated.

Just my $0.02

BTW. I don't know if its me but every time I see a MB AMG with these huge calipers and drilled rotors the wear on the rotors is extremely uneven making the surface look like

(
)
(
)

Well thats the best way I can quickly show it.
Old 11-12-2006, 05:50 AM

Originally Posted by xoomer.com
the vents will be more usefull as they will not only vent (cool) your brake system faster but also let the pad gasses escape through these slots/holes.
those 2 things happen at once! jk

BTW. I don't know if its me but every time I see a MB AMG with these huge calipers and drilled rotors the wear on the rotors is extremely uneven making the surface look like
I've never noticed this myself, but I have seen many AMG's that have the huge 6POT BBK's and it makes me

dan
Old 11-12-2006, 06:14 PM
I Donate! Why Don't You?

those 2 things happen at once! jk
Duh,

Thanks for letting me know Dan. All I was saying is that the gasses are no longer a problem with the modern pads. Its the proper cooling that is always a problem and thats what these holes are for.
Old 11-12-2006, 07:00 PM

Duh,

Thanks for letting me know Dan. All I was saying is that the gasses are no longer a problem with the modern pads. Its the proper cooling that is always a problem and thats what these holes are for.