6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

What made you buy a maxima?

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2006, 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by mixshows
im all for the nostalgia, but
thanks for killin the thread.
Most men think that there were no cars made worth considering until they first noticed cars in their youth. This nostalgia shows that there were great cars made in the past -- and in some cases why they were great (the Hudson Hornet) and set the industry standard even thought the company failed.

The additional posts since your post show that the thread was not killed, as you predicted.
Old 12-08-2006, 05:55 AM

Psst, call me a post killer Mix,

I love the Cord and Packards........Retractable headlights and reverse lights.....first of their kind. Packard Brothers were inducted into the Auto Hall of Fame(early 2003?) for their inventions!

I was driving my 3 or 4th minivan in March 04. My hubby and I went on vacation and needed a rental vehicle. Enterprise only had minivans. I seriously detest minivans. They are not for me. When we got there to rent one, the guy told us an Altima had just come in. We jumped on it, ok, I did, my hubby would've rather had the minivan.

It had the 3.5 and all. I told my hubby, I know where I'm headed when this minivan bites the dust. 8 months later it did just that. I went to Nissan, and noticed the Maxima SL was $1500.00 more than the Alti. We bought it!
Old 12-08-2006, 08:00 AM
mixshows

lol its ok

Old 12-08-2006, 08:16 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

the power and the reliablity of the VQ. plus maxima is always a pimpin car, and is priced just right. with heated steering wheel and compass and one touch buttons, i was sold.
Old 12-14-2006, 09:35 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Needed a "family" car but had to have some sportiness... after driving muscle cars for many years. Wife loved the look of it too.
Old 12-14-2006, 10:32 AM

Acura TL was 30% more
Old 12-14-2006, 10:33 AM

oh, also ... I wanted a 4door (2 kids), sporty v6, which was reliable and dependable.
Old 12-14-2006, 10:51 AM

Large car for the family, fast, lots of crap I don't need, cheaper then a compact for me - I pay 227 a month.
Old 12-14-2006, 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by Nietzsche
Large car for the family, fast, lots of crap I don't need, . . .
You will find (once you get used to it) that what you now consider "crap" is something you will definitely want on your next car.

The rest is certainly correct.
Old 12-14-2006, 02:59 PM

You will find (once you get used to it) that what you now consider "crap" is something you will definitely want on your next car.
Like the fact that when the salesguy said it had a heated steering wheel, I laughed to myself. Now, after using it for the past month, I will never buy another car without one. LOL
Old 12-14-2006, 09:07 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I always like Maximas since the fifth gen came out. I saw my max after test driving an 2005 Altima SER manual on 20". Drove it and love it plus the options I was sold after I got the price I wanted. And no regrets yet.
Old 12-15-2006, 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by MPScan
Like the fact that when the salesguy said it had a heated steering wheel, I laughed to myself. Now, after using it for the past month, I will never buy another car without one. LOL
I feel ashamed to say it, but I might be with you on that one.
Old 12-16-2006, 06:08 PM
* THIS SPACE FOR RENT *

I just needed a car and my wife wanted my sentra so i went to the dealer for an altima or a pathfinder and came home with a maxima. its a great car besides the few problems that i had with her but none the less shes been good to me but when its time for a new car i'll be in the market for a truck or something
Old 12-16-2006, 06:16 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I purchased my 2004 SL two weeks ago. My decision to go with a Maxima was based mostly on it's service record. It's also quite easy on the eyes
Old 12-17-2006, 06:57 PM

What made you buy a maxima?

The maxima had all the same options and perfomance measures of the higher end cars. i.e Acura TL, BMW3 etc. Love the car!!
Old 12-18-2006, 07:30 AM
I Donate! Why Don't You?

Originally Posted by Nietzsche
I feel ashamed to say it, but I might be with you on that one.
I am with you on this one guys. When the salesman told me about this option, I told him "You'd have to do better than that"

Heated steering wheel and power folding mirrors are one of the best options out there.
Old 12-21-2006, 12:53 AM

My mom got a B210 Datsun when we moved to the US in 82ish. I was 4 and ever since then we have had a Nissan product in the house. After the B210 she had a white 85ish Maxima, then a Maxima wagon diesel, then we got a 240zx in dark blue which I LOVED. Dad sold it when I was away at college. I came back and bought my high school dream car-- Acura Integra coupe. It was cute until I jacked up the radiator and the superstealership charged me $900 to fix it. Then the Integra grew up to be a 99 SE-L Maxima in bright red. In the meantime, my partner and I had met and he had a Sterling Mist 2000 GLE Maxima. We bought him a 2005 SE Max in Jan of 05 and I now have a week old 07 SL. Maximas have always been unapologetic and badazz. I love the speed and agility that the car has always possessed. I now enjoy the heated everything, back-up radar sensors and the fog lights in the front of the car, which is where God intended them to be. I will prolly buy the 7th, 8th and 9th gen when it comes out... I am only 28 after all. I have many car buying years ahead of me.

I was considering the Acura TL, TSX, Mercedes C class and Dodge Charger. Then I drove my Sonoma Sunset SL and she just purred.... "Welcome home big papa." Cheesy, but true.
Old 12-21-2006, 07:42 AM

When I met my wife, she said she always wanted a Maxima, white with tan leather. Shortly after we got married, I bought her one (1991). I was never a big fan, I just bought it for her....but after driving it a few months I really fell in love with it. I liked that it was a bit exclusive, most people were driving Camry's and Accords, the Max was different and sexah. I always got compliments on that 1991, especially from African Americans, not sure why that is, but they gave me the most compliments.

That 1991 sucked me in, I subsequently bought a 2000 and now a 2006.
Old 12-21-2006, 10:06 AM

Mechanic told my dad to get an altima for me. Finally convinced my dad that altimas and maximas are abouttttt the same. hehe
Old 12-21-2006, 11:10 AM
Big Drew

I love my Max

I always have liked Maximas ever since I was younger. Never really wanted one until around 96 I believe when they started putting 5 star rims on. I believe it was that year. Then every year they seemed to get nicer although I think it might be the 2000 I really don't like, only Max that I don't like. Then in 2004 my boy who seemed to get every nice car out there (Started with Ddoge RT, then Ram 1500) got the brand new 2004 Maxima, same one I got. Liquid Silver SE fully loaded edition. Ever since then I've had my eyes on them. Never had the money to get one until I got my job.

I always have driven standards and hate driving in traffic. Therefore I went with the A/T. I love it, yeah I miss the Manual, but I still feel the power. My girlfriend got the new 06 Lexus GS330 when it came out and I loved it!! When I drove my Max for the first time I couldn't believe how close it was and how much more powerful it is off th line. I love driving my baby because it feels sporty and luxurious, it fits whatever mood I'm in. I still want a truck, but it would take a perfect truck for me to give up my Max.
Old 12-22-2006, 06:32 AM

I bought my 04 SL recently and I'm loving it. I guess I bought the Maxima because of one of its most inherent weaknesses...residual value. I purchased my Maxima at 1/3 the sticker price. Good for me, but bad for Maximas overall.
Old 01-06-2007, 05:31 AM

My friend worked for Nissan and a few years ago I bought an Altima and loved it but always thought the Maximas were so much hotter. A couple weeks ago someone offered to buy my Altima from me so I sold it and bought myself a 2007 Max SL black on black. For the price and what you get Maxima can't be beat. Plus they look so darn cool and the ride is amazing imo.
Old 01-30-2007, 06:47 PM

My Maxima adventure started soon after my wife crashed her Intrepid. We were on the way to get a Ford Fusion and decided to stop at the Nissan dealership and look at some Altimas. We drove the Altima which was a nice car, just seemed a little under powered with the automatic and 2.5L engine. Beside the Altima were a couple of nice used 2004-2006 Maximas. I really liked the body style so we took one for a spin while we were there. I was sold on it before we got out of site of the dealership. Very comfortable car and plenty of power plus you can't beat a 7 year, 100,000 mile drivetrain warranty. I have two Mustangs that I have modded and it didn't take long before I got the bug to mod the Maxima. A billet grill and some eibach springs are on the soon to be list. I just wish my wife was into cars as much as me. Here I offer to fix up her ride and she could care less.
Old 01-30-2007, 06:50 PM
Banned

I think the 0-60, highway pull over 60mph, overall look, and features sold me above all.
Old 01-30-2007, 07:18 PM

They are a lot of fun to drive. I would love to test drive one of the new 275hp Altima 3.5. I bet that would be a blast in a small car like that. I haven't figured out why they rate them at 275hp but the new 07 Maximas are only 255hp now.
Old 01-31-2007, 07:28 PM

I got my max. b/c i was given one when i grad college.. it was fast. big enough for me. I am 6'3. and very very very realible and good one mantience..
so when i decided it was time to get a grown up car.. I knew i was gonna stick to my maxima SE..
LOVE it!!
Old 02-01-2007, 12:21 AM

Originally Posted by iwanaMAx
I wanted to look like a baller
Your post+your sig=
Old 02-01-2007, 07:58 PM

Mainly because my uncle gets a good VPP price on it (about $29,000 down to $23,000-$24000). I don't have it yet...still deciding if I should get this or something else (Altima, Titan, etc.). My parents used to have an '84 Max that lasted almost 20 years. All they've ever bought has been Nissan. They've had an 84 Max, early 280z, early 90's 300z, old Nissan van, the first 240sx, the first Infiniti QX, 04 Quest....Nissan runs in the family, I'm just carrying on tradition.
Old 02-02-2007, 11:39 AM

For me it was either an Acura or a Nissan... between TL or Maxima... i thought TL was more for old people so i just chose to go with the Maxima plus Maxima is a sesxy car~!!!!!!
Old 02-19-2007, 05:20 PM

I wanted an upgrade. So today I traded in my 2000 Maxima SE for a 2004 Maxima SE. I am happy.
Old 02-19-2007, 07:56 PM

I've always liked the Maxima, maybe it's the name? I've had trucks and SUVs the past 10+yrs, but with gas prices, I'd thought I'd get a car. I looked at the Accords, Camrys, & Altimas for their good gas mileage (4 cylinder), but I always came back to the Maxima. I'm 6'3 and have 2 kids in car seats and the Maxima fits me well. I can haul my family around and still look good!
Old 02-19-2007, 09:10 PM

After I got my permit two years ago, my dad and I went around driving different cars. The first Maxima I drove was an 01 Maxima at some random used car dealership. Some people on a BMW forum told me the Maxima would be a great first car to drive around. After that, I went to a Nissan dealer and drove an 02 Maxima, fully loaded with every option. After that I drove a 98 Nissan Maxima. Then finally, just a month ago, for my b-day, my parents bought me a new Maxima.
Old 02-20-2007, 04:08 AM

Initially I was looking at the new Altimas but they didn't have any we liked and had all the options we wanted but they had the Maxima so we looked at her and low and behold she fulfilled everything and more that we could want.

Ohh....and this happened about 5 days earlier...

Old 02-20-2007, 08:03 AM

It all started.....

On vacation in FL with GF. Had a free rental, and was upgraded for free to a 04 Maxima. MAN..... did I fall in love with the DRIVE!! You don't get that "push" like you do in RWD, which I miss, BUT that smooth and quick accel!!

My only prob was the interior!

When deciding on Cars a month later, almost 4got about the Max. Had 06/07 Acura TL, 07 G35 sedan and 07 Toyota Camry on my list.

Drove Camry SE v6 ...... horrible driving experience. Drove 06 G35, just to get a taste.....HATED the space, too cramped. TL.....blah, didin't bother because I came to my senses. Would have waited for 07 G35, but 1) didn't wanna end up not liking it after waiting so long for it, 2) no VPP discount was offered initially on it.

So in short.....
1) Drive! Love it!
2) Size - big enough for it's "class" w/e that really is, lol.
3) VALUE!! Nissan/Infiniti all have great value.

Mainly it.

Only thing I wish I did was test drive a F35, might have gone that route.

4) It's SEXY!!! loved the interior enhancements made in the 07!!
Old 02-20-2007, 08:09 AM

Originally Posted by IDNUKEU
I just wish my wife was into cars as much as me. Here I offer to fix up her ride and she could care less.
WOMEN!!! I feel ur pain! lmao. I try to show my girl plans for my car.....she could care less....she's getting better!

She's looking at the Altima Coupe..... little does she know.... i have plans for it!!!

Muhahahahahahaahahahha!
Old 02-20-2007, 01:37 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by SDMaxima
Initially I was looking at the new Altimas but they didn't have any we liked and had all the options we wanted but they had the Maxima so we looked at her and low and behold she fulfilled everything and more that we could want.

Ohh....and this happened about 5 days earlier...

HEMI POWAH!
Old 02-20-2007, 01:45 PM

I wanted a Maxima ever since that Superbowl commercial with the pigeons trying to defecate on that 4th Gen fresh from the car wash.
Old 02-20-2007, 06:33 PM

I started out, going to purchase an 07 Pathfinder to replace my 04 Xterra. With a 40 mile commute, each way, the 'rough ride' of the Xterra was getting a bit old. Was looking for a bit of a smoother ride.

Test drove a couple of Pathfinders and was not impressed. The engine seemed extremely loud, as well. I did, also, want a slightly more quiet ride as well. Happened that the saleslady was taking me to the test-drive vehicles in a Maxima. I decided to test drive one. Fell in love, on the test drive.

Left the dealership with a Black 07 Maxima SL, DPP at invoice. Still got soaked on the trade-in, though. Was a bit hesitant to go back to a 'car' after enjoying the truck thing for a few years. However, the gas mileage helps. It sure is a nice ride, for the money. I really like the fact that I can't smell other people's exhaust, when I have the air on recirculate too (the Xterra seemed to have holes all over the place, in the doors...).
Old 02-20-2007, 08:38 PM

It was after basic training, I went out and just started test driving cars, I stumbled upon this thing called a maxima. It looked sleek, test drove it and fell in love, looked up service record in consumer reports, it's a no brainer. Then I started working at nissan part time while in the guard and going to school. I then learned that they also came in manuals, about 6 months later the se I have now came in, immediatly I went to the used car manager and said I wanna trade my gxe for that se when it gets traded in. I don't think I'll ever drive anything else now but a maxima unless I hit the lottery, even then I'd still have a max though
Old 02-20-2007, 08:56 PM
M&M

I was looking for a bigger, more comfortable car. But it had to have a manual trans. I always had a thing for maximas but I also had other cars in mind when shopping. I really wanted a TL but they were a bit too expensive. The cheapest TL I could find was still $6000 more expensive then the 04 max I bought.

So basically Maxima had everything I wanted, manual transmission, lots of power, sporty, but still a big, comfortable highway cruiser. All for a great price.

Quick Reply: What made you buy a maxima?