6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Thinking of trading in

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2006, 11:04 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Thinking of trading in

I kinda have been getting that nasty bug thats been going around, you know the 300 hp G35 bug. Its been eating at me lately and well i think I'm ready. Lets lay it out, but i need you guys on this one. I love my max but i want a few things that i would have to mod for and i really hate voiding the damn warranty. I have an 05 SE DPP with sunroof has 18k on it now and its black on black. I think i didn't break the car in so well and kinda paying for it now with a ****ty sounding engine keep in mind i have only 18k on the car. I really want to go sporty and the G35 tune is music to my ears. I have been eying one since i purchased my car but the insurance costs were killing me so i opted to go max. Well i dropped a few tickets and I'm about 23 now. I have a more stable job and paying about $325 a month on the max. I put about 10K down and i have 750+ credit. I owe about $14K on the max now and i hope to get about $22.5K on the trade, i know it going to be like pulling teeth but ill get it, I HOPE! anyways i think this time ill lease because it seems better for me i dont mod and i dont want to drop another load on a down payment. I will probably opt for a 15k a year in miles to be safe i typically get about 13k a year. I tend to get new cars every couple of years so i think it makes sense. Well i plan on dropping by a stealership tomorrow and was wondering if any one in Northern VA knew a good spot for Infiniti, and better yet a contact. Also this will be my first lease and was wondering what to look for? Do you think i can get around the same payment on a 06 coupe new leased? also should i do it?
Thanks guys
Belal
Old 11-16-2006, 12:26 PM

I doubt if you can find an '06 G for around that price unless you opt for the base model. Regardless the "stealership" is gonna low ball you on the trade especially since they are Infiniti and are probably accustomed to selling nice vehicles, and the Max is the "poor" man's Infiniti to sales people. Hell if you get $22.5k congrats!!
Old 11-16-2006, 01:23 PM

you are right about the g, but if possible try to get the 07..the new ones look amazing. I love that car...you are making the right trade if you can afford it....i love the max, but the g is a whole diff breed.
Old 11-16-2006, 01:25 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

try to sell it to a private party.. youll get more for it.. im trying to sell mine now but nobody seems to like the maxima... i feel you on getting something better... well good luck
Old 11-16-2006, 02:37 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I am considering the same move. I got my early termination quote from Nissan today on my 05 SL of $5800! WTF!

I guess I'll be waiting for that G for a couple of more years!
Old 11-16-2006, 07:23 PM

ok guys well looks like its a done deal. I went to Passport Infiniti in Alexandria today and well they wouldnt let me leave without a car. I was there for about 8 hours but hey it worked. I ended up with a Great deal. I got a msrp of about $40,000 on a 06 G35 Graphite with black interior. The options are the premium package with sportsuspension and upgraded 19'' wheels, pretty much everything they have to offer but nav. I managed to beat them down on the msrp to about $36k which was about invoice so i was told, and $4000 sounds about right. The next step was trade in, wow low balled all day. but i ended up with the knock out punch. I got $23,700, which allowed me to put $5000 out the door downpayment and $3000 cash back in my pocket. So i walked out from the dealership with a new G35 and $3000 in my pocket not bad huh! I owed $14700 on the max which got payed off allowing 8k for equity. I used 5k towards downpayment and taxes and the remaining 3k i took cause i need to payoff a few creditcards. Oh and i leased the car for 39 months with 15k a year in milage for about $460 or something. In the end i was happy i was able to recoupe most of downpayment i made and finally get into the car i always wanted. But do you guys think i could have gotten a better deal?
Old 11-17-2006, 03:44 PM

Coupe or sedan? I am planning on doing the same thing but I want the coupe with the 306 hp which I hear may not be out until 08.....

I have my 06 Max with 13k on it for sale and no bites...took it to Carmax/Drivers World and the most I was offered was $20k...
Old 11-17-2006, 07:12 PM

Almost seems too good to be true! I hope it's all you wanted/expected!
Old 11-17-2006, 11:26 PM

Originally Posted by belal242
ok guys well looks like its a done deal. I went to Passport Infiniti in Alexandria today and well they wouldnt let me leave without a car. I was there for about 8 hours but hey it worked. I ended up with a Great deal. I got a msrp of about $40,000 on a 06 G35 Graphite with black interior. The options are the premium package with sportsuspension and upgraded 19'' wheels, pretty much everything they have to offer but nav. I managed to beat them down on the msrp to about $36k which was about invoice so i was told, and $4000 sounds about right. The next step was trade in, wow low balled all day. but i ended up with the knock out punch. I got $23,700, which allowed me to put $5000 out the door downpayment and $3000 cash back in my pocket. So i walked out from the dealership with a new G35 and $3000 in my pocket not bad huh! I owed $14700 on the max which got payed off allowing 8k for equity. I used 5k towards downpayment and taxes and the remaining 3k i took cause i need to payoff a few creditcards. Oh and i leased the car for 39 months with 15k a year in milage for about $460 or something. In the end i was happy i was able to recoupe most of downpayment i made and finally get into the car i always wanted. But do you guys think i could have gotten a better deal?
You paid $36,000 for an '06 G35? Should have got an 07 for the same price.
Old 11-18-2006, 10:24 AM

Enjoy the new ride - I personally would have gotten the 07 sedan - that thing is soooo tight.

I traded in my max for an FX45 and am really happy with it.

Glad you stayed with the Infiniti / Nissan Family
Old 11-18-2006, 10:52 AM

THEY wouldn't let you leave without a car? Or YOU wouldnt let yourself leave without a car? but anyhow, congratulations on a new-er vehicle! Im glad you are happy with your deal. I bet the dealership is too. Drive safely!
Old 11-18-2006, 09:32 PM

Originally Posted by 4MySwee
Almost seems too good to be true! I hope it's all you wanted/expected!
I got a 06g35 coupe 80 miles on the thing, silver graphite with black inside sticker $40,800

well it was too good to be true, i kinda of got royaly u know what. I took all the paper work home and after reading it i didnt get what i thought. They really gave me $20,500 for the trade, and to be honest thats tops for trade in on KBB, but still. I dont think i was dooped, i was just too excited. So instead of putting 5000k down. I really put 2850 down towards tax title and down payment. So in reality it was more like 1200 down and the rest for tax. I kinda figured that was too good to be true. But i still got $3000 back in cash for the deal. I still feel kinda very wierd kinda of like buyers remourse about the whole thing and at this point im not sure what to do? do i have a grace period to turn in the car? sundays they are closed and i signed on friday. Is monday my last day? Im pretty much 50/50 right now i feel more screwed than upset. I love the car but i really do miss the max from the inside. I already miss my heated steering wheels. Im just really worried right now and not sure what to do. I feel like i would be plucking over the dealer. can you guys help.PLEASEEEEEEEEEEEEEE i need advise.
Old 11-18-2006, 10:08 PM

Ok, this is totally legal. What you need to do is 2 things.. try to say that you lied on your finance loan and get denied. that way they can find a way out but say you don;t want any of their offer and just return the car. Or you can say that you never gotten insurance on the car and your parents won't insure you. that way the have no choice but to give you back the car. The finance problem is your best bet out of the deal. Because if the banks denies what you deal before then you can say in 10 mins if you cant get my old deal back then i am walking out of here with my old car. Anyway.. good luck. HOpe that helps
Old 11-19-2006, 07:52 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I got a 06g35 coupe 80 miles on the thing, silver graphite with black inside sticker $40,800

well it was too good to be true, i kinda of got royaly u know what. I took all the paper work home and after reading it i didnt get what i thought. They really gave me $20,500 for the trade, and to be honest thats tops for trade in on KBB, but still. I dont think i was dooped, i was just too excited. So instead of putting 5000k down. I really put 2850 down towards tax title and down payment. So in reality it was more like 1200 down and the rest for tax. I kinda figured that was too good to be true. But i still got $3000 back in cash for the deal. I still feel kinda very wierd kinda of like buyers remourse about the whole thing and at this point im not sure what to do? do i have a grace period to turn in the car? sundays they are closed and i signed on friday. Is monday my last day? Im pretty much 50/50 right now i feel more screwed than upset. I love the car but i really do miss the max from the inside. I already miss my heated steering wheels. Im just really worried right now and not sure what to do. I feel like i would be plucking over the dealer. can you guys help.PLEASEEEEEEEEEEEEEE i need advise.
I'm not sure if this applies in your state (or you may have something similiar), but in Missouri I've been told that you have 72 hours from the time of sale to return the car. If I were you I'd search the web for this kind of law in your state and then make some quick calls Monday morning to verify... and then if you still want to trade it back get over to the dealer ASAP Monday.
Old 11-19-2006, 02:43 PM

You signed all that paper work without reading it? Not too bright.
Old 11-19-2006, 03:12 PM
aka The Doom Ship

Yeah, you kinda did them a favor by taking a '06 instead of an '07. I'm sure they were glad to get rid of their '06 stock. And Navigation should have been included.

In this case you SHOULD have buyers remorse. I would say take it back and either get your car back OR redo the deal for a '07 G35.

I just went to the Infiniti site and built one with navigation and it came up to 37,500.

You might want to do a search on your state laws about returning a car.
Old 11-19-2006, 03:17 PM

yeah im 100% now that i want to return the car so im going monday morning ASAP. I wont call because i dont want them to prepare for them to kill me.
Old 11-19-2006, 04:05 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

yeah im 100% now that i want to return the car so im going monday morning ASAP. I wont call because i dont want them to prepare for them to kill me.
Cool. Let us know what happens.
Old 11-19-2006, 04:07 PM
aka The Doom Ship

An Infiniti dealership SHOULD be a pretty stand-up dealership, unlike a Nissan dealership so I would say they will take the car back. Be prepared though, for them to want you to pay a penalty($1500 or so) to redo the deal.
Old 11-19-2006, 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by AllBlackMax
An Infiniti dealership SHOULD be a pretty stand-up dealership, unlike a Nissan dealership so I would say they will take the car back. Be prepared though, for them to want you to pay a penalty($1500 or so) to redo the deal.

WOW! u think i may have to pay them money? And do you guys think i will get my trade back?
Old 11-19-2006, 04:42 PM
Banned

Hmmm...sticker $40,000....a 335i coupe is only $7000 more
Old 11-19-2006, 05:22 PM
aka The Doom Ship

WOW! u think i may have to pay them money? And do you guys think i will get my trade back?
Like I said. If you're feeling a little insecure you might want to bring someone along. Sometimes you have to shame dealerships into doing the right thing by having a witness. Like I said though, this is an Infiniti dealership not a Nissan dealership so you shouldn't have too much problem.
Old 11-20-2006, 12:37 PM

NEVER go alone!!!.. I always go with at least 4 people. This way they can all back up what you say, and make sure they are always with you that way they know everything. This way if they are trying to come up with a scheme you friend my pick it out before you.
Old 11-20-2006, 03:57 PM

Thanks guys for everything, but Passport Infiniti in Alexandria VA SUCKSSSSSSSSSSSS, they wouldn't move from their position and did not want to cancel the deal. This is probably one of the worst feelings i have had in a long time. I had almost no control, and as smart as i thought i was, throw that idea out the window. I def agree someone going along is a must on a purchase. I took my brother to help, but nothing. The first GSM was a complete a** hole and didn't want to help. I spoke to the owner and he transfered me to the GM, he kinda help sort out all my problems and made me feel better about the thing but still no canceling. He pretty much said the deal is legally binding and even if he wanted to terminate the deal he couldn't at this point. The GM was willing to put me in a lesser car for less payment but not close the deal and let me walk away with my old car. I pretty much just gave up and took the car i got a lease on. I'm still bitter but whatever I'm 23 and you live and learn. I love the G35 i got and i guess thats all that matters. Thanks again and enjoy your max's cause i sure did.
Old 11-20-2006, 05:09 PM
aka The Doom Ship

Thanks guys for everything, but Passport Infiniti in Alexandria VA SUCKSSSSSSSSSSSS, they wouldn't move from their position and did not want to cancel the deal. This is probably one of the worst feelings i have had in a long time. I had almost no control, and as smart as i thought i was, throw that idea out the window. I def agree someone going along is a must on a purchase. I took my brother to help, but nothing. The first GSM was a complete a** hole and didn't want to help..
BELIEVE ME! I know exactly how you feel. That happened to me in '02 when I signed some paper work and next thing you know I own a '02 Altima. Anyway, I ended up bringing my boss of all people, an older gentleman, to the dealership. They ended up taking the car back but I had to pay about a grand and I got a '02 Max instead.

I can tell you, they're liars, they can take the car back. There is no worse feeling than being stuck with a car you don't want. I would say, take the car back. Times like these, pre-pay legal comes in handy.
Old 11-20-2006, 05:12 PM
aka The Doom Ship

The GM was willing to put me in a lesser car for less payment but not close the deal and let me walk away with my old car.
They couldn't put you in a '07?
Old 11-20-2006, 06:14 PM

I dont see why you would leave a dealership not sure about the deal u just made on a 40k vehicle.
Old 11-20-2006, 06:35 PM

BELIEVE ME! I know exactly how you feel. That happened to me in '02 when I signed some paper work and next thing you know I own a '02 Altima. Anyway, I ended up bringing my boss of all people, an older gentleman, to the dealership. They ended up taking the car back but I had to pay about a grand and I got a '02 Max instead.

I can tell you, they're liars, they can take the car back. There is no worse feeling than being stuck with a car you don't want. I would say, take the car back. Times like these, pre-pay legal comes in handy.

Thanks for the support, but this feeling really does suck. I know they can take the deal back but the tards arnt budging the only thing they will offer is to put me in another car. But i dont want another car i want my old max with my old payment and old insurance.

I went with my brother and it really didnt help other than the moral support. My mom and dad are willing to go, but i think its becoming old news to them and to be frank i dont think its going to help any at this point. I went as high as the owner of the company and he transferd me to the GM. I might have my father call the owner or my mother and maybe i might get a inch of sympathy.

Overall VA needs to get more legal rights for new car buyers. Leaving someone in the dust after a few days really is not fair. Bottom line i feel horrible because i let myself down, i pretty much left my self to dry.
Old 11-20-2006, 07:53 PM

Thanks for the support, but this feeling really does suck. I know they can take the deal back but the tards arnt budging the only thing they will offer is to put me in another car. But i dont want another car i want my old max with my old payment and old insurance.

I went with my brother and it really didnt help other than the moral support. My mom and dad are willing to go, but i think its becoming old news to them and to be frank i dont think its going to help any at this point. I went as high as the owner of the company and he transferd me to the GM. I might have my father call the owner or my mother and maybe i might get a inch of sympathy.

Overall VA needs to get more legal rights for new car buyers. Leaving someone in the dust after a few days really is not fair. Bottom line i feel horrible because i let myself down, i pretty much left my self to dry.
I feel for you. They saw a kid (alone) with a car that was worth <$15,000 to the bank and he wants to trade up 3 times the value to a $40,000 car. That makes you a sucker/target. Who spends 8 hours at a car dealership? Never, EVER, buy a car the same day you walk in. Tell them you'd like your dad/mom to see it and think it over, sleep on the deal. How the heck did the bank give you credit to buy a $40,000 car. Do you still live at home? No overhead? The devil is in the details and the details of a lease are tough to follow, you need to follow it closely on how they move the money around to lose you and you don't ask questions b/c you don't want to seem stupid, you played right into their hands.

At your origional deal of $40,000 sticker, you got them down to 36K and put 5K as a down payment and a monthly payment of $460 (and probably plus tax). So if you are leasing the G at $31000 for a lease for 39 months, you could have FINANCED the $31,000+ tax for 72 months for $464/month (Not including finance rate) to BUY the G. That should have been a clue that your lease deal wasn't too good. What is the RENTAL CHARGE they have you down for on this lease? That is finance charge you are paying, money lost to them.

Basically, they won't redo the deal, its a binding contract and they have no legal obligation to do so, as far as I can tell. Just don't take it back to them for service b/c it will make you relive the terrible ordeal all over again. A life lesson learned. I am truly sorry that this happened to you. You will always be on your guard in all business/financial deals for the rest of your life so you will probably recoup the money lost in this deal over the next several large purchases; homes, cars, wedding rings, etc. Sorry bro, enjoy the ride for the next 39 months and get a new 2010 Max when this lease is up. Peace.
Old 11-21-2006, 06:09 AM
aka The Doom Ship

Originally Posted by BadBlackMaxSL
Just don't take it back to them for service b/c it will make you relive the terrible ordeal all over again.
Yup! That's the very reason I don't go to the dealership that sold me my current Maxima.
Old 11-21-2006, 08:45 PM

Originally Posted by BadBlackMaxSL
I feel for you. They saw a kid (alone) with a car that was worth <$15,000 to the bank and he wants to trade up 3 times the value to a $40,000 car. That makes you a sucker/target. Who spends 8 hours at a car dealership? Never, EVER, buy a car the same day you walk in. Tell them you'd like your dad/mom to see it and think it over, sleep on the deal. How the heck did the bank give you credit to buy a $40,000 car. Do you still live at home? No overhead? The devil is in the details and the details of a lease are tough to follow, you need to follow it closely on how they move the money around to lose you and you don't ask questions b/c you don't want to seem stupid, you played right into their hands.

At your origional deal of $40,000 sticker, you got them down to 36K and put 5K as a down payment and a monthly payment of $460 (and probably plus tax). So if you are leasing the G at $31000 for a lease for 39 months, you could have FINANCED the $31,000+ tax for 72 months for $464/month (Not including finance rate) to BUY the G. That should have been a clue that your lease deal wasn't too good. What is the RENTAL CHARGE they have you down for on this lease? That is finance charge you are paying, money lost to them.

Basically, they won't redo the deal, its a binding contract and they have no legal obligation to do so, as far as I can tell. Just don't take it back to them for service b/c it will make you relive the terrible ordeal all over again. A life lesson learned. I am truly sorry that this happened to you. You will always be on your guard in all business/financial deals for the rest of your life so you will probably recoup the money lost in this deal over the next several large purchases; homes, cars, wedding rings, etc. Sorry bro, enjoy the ride for the next 39 months and get a new 2010 Max when this lease is up. Peace.

Trust me it was one of the worst things ive ever been through. But to clear the facts i put $2850 down towards tax and title and downpayment. Just around $1200 down i think is what it came out to be. I pocketed $3200 and went on a 39 month lease with 12k a year i got the car for $36500 msrp was $40*** something and i got $20,700 on the trade in. The rental is about $4k << yea i think that sucks bad. At this point i have beat myself up about the thing enough i even took my mom today to get some pitty but none. Im pretty much getting over this miserable feeling ive been having for the past few days and im please to have you guys support me on this. When you feel like this every helpful comment helps. LIke i said i love the car and as i drive it more and more i have grown to like it even more. I just hate the deal i went through. And in terms of leasing i like the fact that i lease because i tend to trade up every 2-3 years. I dont have to put money down or very little and have small payments. Kinda works for me. I did the purchase thing with the max and 10k down hurt more, and pretty much losing it all in the first 2 years and bs. Cars suck but i cant stop loving them they are the worst financial descion to make but we all still do it. Ill enjoy this thing for the new 24 months then trade in to the 09's, keep in mind the g35 keeps its value like a ****.
Old 11-22-2006, 02:18 PM

Reading though this thread is making me sick! I went to two Infiniti dealers in the area and the most they will give me for my Max is $16500. I drive an SE will all the sensory and drivers package, which means I don't have nav or the rear bucket seats. $16,500!!! Does this seem right, has anyone else experienced this? I too am looking at a 07 G35x for $35,500... I so want the car, but I'm not going to lose money on the deal. I can live with the max, but I'd rather live with the G since it was my first choice.

-Jay
Old 11-22-2006, 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by Maxium
Reading though this thread is making me sick! I went to two Infiniti dealers in the area and the most they will give me for my Max is $16500. I drive an SE will all the sensory and drivers package, which means I don't have nav or the rear bucket seats. $16,500!!! Does this seem right, has anyone else experienced this? I too am looking at a 07 G35x for $35,500... I so want the car, but I'm not going to lose money on the deal. I can live with the max, but I'd rather live with the G since it was my first choice.

-Jay
Trade in price sounds about right, how many miles on it? I also want an 07 G35 but the numbers arent lookin good so I might stick with the max.
Old 11-22-2006, 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by Maxium

-Jay
That trade in price is fair. Check KBB and 16,500 is rated as good. Maxes don't hold their value very well. Sell it privately if you don;t want to go thru the hassle. I know next time around, I am DEFINITELY selling it privately then going in with CASH. That will help you a little bit from getting reamed...

Anyway belal - don't beat yourself up too badly - your driving a G35 coupe man! Seriously one of the best looking sports cars on the road. I still LOVE their look.

ENJOY IT!!!
Old 11-23-2006, 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by JiuJitsuThug
That trade in price is fair. Check KBB and 16,500 is rated as good. Maxes don't hold their value very well. Sell it privately if you don;t want to go thru the hassle. I know next time around, I am DEFINITELY selling it privately then going in with CASH. That will help you a little bit from getting reamed...

Anyway belal - don't beat yourself up too badly - your driving a G35 coupe man! Seriously one of the best looking sports cars on the road. I still LOVE their look.

ENJOY IT!!!
Thanks brotha, its looking better everyday!! and every time i drive WOW!
Old 11-23-2006, 04:58 PM
aka The Doom Ship

Thanks brotha, its looking better everyday!! and every time i drive WOW!
I thought you bought a sedan.

As far as trade in value goes, if you're negotiating a deal with a dealership and use their financing they can move numbers around to make it work.
For example, in '04 I traded my '03 Max for a '04 Max. At the time the car was worth about $17500 but because the dealership and I had a goal they "gave" me $21500 on paper, add my $4000, and there was no negative equity added to my loan for the new car. So basically I financed the new car+taxes.
Old 11-23-2006, 08:07 PM

I thought you bought a sedan.

As far as trade in value goes, if you're negotiating a deal with a dealership and use their financing they can move numbers around to make it work.
For example, in '04 I traded my '03 Max for a '04 Max. At the time the car was worth about $17500 but because the dealership and I had a goal they "gave" me $21500 on paper, add my $4000, and there was no negative equity added to my loan for the new car. So basically I financed the new car+taxes.

SEdan HELL NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO, Only the 07 on that one but they only wanted MSRP at best
Old 11-23-2006, 08:43 PM

hmmmm tomorrow i going to dealer i wana trade mine 2004 se 33 000 miles for 350z since nothing have come out for our maxima TURBO or SC
Old 11-23-2006, 08:43 PM
.org extraordinaire

SEdan HELL NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO, Only the 07 on that one but they only wanted MSRP at best
K, so what did u get on teh G35?

I have a 2005 Maxima

6SP with everything !!! Including TCS, folding mirrors heated mirrors, heated seats and steering wheel, xenon lamps.

Anything similar on teh G35?

How about the power, is the power equivelent? Does it boogy like the maxima or is a dog? How is the rear wheel drive??

*** man, I want the G, you want to trade, I love that G but bloody hell I love my maxima.

If I were to get the G, heated everything, 6sp, same options as max, maybe all wheel ATESA.

Kamski
Old 11-23-2006, 10:49 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by importtuned1
try to sell it to a private party.. youll get more for it.. im trying to sell mine now but nobody seems to like the maxima... i feel you on getting something better... well good luck
Nobody like the maxima? Say it's not so...if anything I thought there are too many of them and buyers have choices.

Quick Reply: Thinking of trading in