6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

04 5 speed Auto slipping

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2006, 12:59 PM

04 5 speed Auto slipping

I have an 04 with the 5 speed auto and durring what I think is the 2- 3 shift although could be the 3- 4 shift on light to moderate steady acceleration I get a slipping that feels almost as if you drove over a patch of ice. Only happens a few times a week and it's getting worse. Dealer wont do anything for me as they cant get it to happen for them (and they wont go on much of a drive with it as "they dont get paid to diagnose cars" according to the dealer) Just wondering if anyone else has had any trouble that I could point the dealer to to help things along the way. I've got 58k on it so it's just about out of warranty.
Old 11-21-2006, 01:17 PM

My '04 at about 20,000 miles was slipping from 1st to 2nd. It was a very hard slip and I had to go back to the dealer a few times too and drove with the tech to identify the problem. Mine was slipping going down a hill, well to fix the problem it took em awhile and they had to reprogram something in the tranny to get it to shift correctly. The fluid was fine, I'd say be very persisent and if someone tells you they dont get paid for something, I'd take that as a slap in the face and an insult, and ask to speak with his manager. Im lucky enough I guess to have a tech that knows me when I call, knows my car and its problems, and he even said to me over the phone, we will get it right and dont worry about keep bringing the car in over and over again. Its their job and your investment!!
Old 11-21-2006, 01:26 PM

ya I took it the same way, I just wish I had the energy to fight with them about it.
Old 11-21-2006, 03:00 PM

1. ask to speak to the service manager
2. try taking it to a different nissan dealership
3. call the warranty service office. it should be in your nissan maxima handbook. It says for any reason if there is a unresolved issue with warranty or service, to give them a call... i dont have the number on me. but if you cant find it, i will look for you.
Old 11-21-2006, 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by digitalfish
I have an 04 with the 5 speed auto and durring what I think is the 2- 3 shift although could be the 3- 4 shift on light to moderate steady acceleration I get a slipping that feels almost as if you drove over a patch of ice. Only happens a few times a week and it's getting worse. Dealer wont do anything for me as they cant get it to happen for them (and they wont go on much of a drive with it as "they dont get paid to diagnose cars" according to the dealer) Just wondering if anyone else has had any trouble that I could point the dealer to to help things along the way. I've got 58k on it so it's just about out of warranty.

i am having the same thing happening...at 55, 000 km
i have to take it in to check it out...
Old 11-21-2006, 04:06 PM
aka The Doom Ship

No slipping problems for me yet thank God. I'm at about 50k miles. I would say take it to another dealership.

It took me about 2 or 3 tries before I found a good compitent mechanic and service advisor.
Old 11-21-2006, 07:52 PM

They told me the next step was to have the service manager drive the car to and from work every day and I had an appointment to bring it back in but after the work they had done on it (they changed the trainy fluid as a try this) and left footprints on my floor mats grease on my door sill, they did the seat wiring recall and scratched my center console and left oil drops all over my engine compartment and I jsut didn't feel like bringing it back, anyone got a good nissan dealer in CT? other than decormier that is
Old 11-24-2006, 01:15 AM

I think I read somewhere that a dirty MAF can affect the way the trannys shift
Old 11-24-2006, 05:31 AM

thats interesting, is it something that can be cleaned with air intake cleaner?
Old 11-24-2006, 09:20 AM
I Donate! Why Don't You?

I thought I was crazy but I have a bad feeling my tranny is doing something similar. Funny thing is that I noticed it after I had the dealer flush the tranny at 30 something K. If my tranny goes, I am F-cked
Old 11-24-2006, 09:46 AM
Im izz sexay

Originally Posted by digitalfish
They told me the next step was to have the service manager drive the car to and from work every day and I had an appointment to bring it back in but after the work they had done on it (they changed the trainy fluid as a try this) and left footprints on my floor mats grease on my door sill, they did the seat wiring recall and scratched my center console and left oil drops all over my engine compartment and I jsut didn't feel like bringing it back, anyone got a good nissan dealer in CT? other than decormier that is

You got george harte Nissan on rt 34 in New Haven/West haven townline or Executive Jeep Nissan (where my mother got her 03 Altima from) in North Haven right near North Haven Showcase Cinemas off exit 9 on I91. They are pretty good with customer service whenever I had to take my moms car in for service at both of the stealerships.
Old 11-24-2006, 12:34 PM

ok I've heard of harte nissan I think, bit of a drive for me but if it means the car gets fixed it's worth it.

thanks
Old 11-24-2006, 04:29 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

What is a symptom of transmission slippage?
Old 11-28-2006, 12:52 PM

TCM reprogram first, and if persists, replace tranny.

have seen it a few times.

also check fluid condition ???
Old 11-28-2006, 02:22 PM

I did have them flush the tranny fluid while there, and while that did make the tranny feel better it didn't change the problem, if anything it just made it more harsh when it happens but the frequency of it happening hasn't changed

thanks for the info
Old 11-28-2006, 02:36 PM

I'm having the same problem, I just hit 70K.

Had the engine flushed, transmission flushed, oil changed and ECU reflashed, but still the problem existed.

Taking it back to the dealer on Tuesday, hopefully take the TECH out with me and I'll drive it to make sure he sees what the hell is going on. 5,000 more miles until my warranty is over, crossing my fingers for a new tranny or atleast fix this problem!!

With all of you that have this problem, do me a favor and try this out for me and let me know if you get a hard jump, try it at your own risk.

Leave the car in park, move it to drive, move it back to reverse then back to drive -- for my car, when moving it from drive to reverse and reverse to drive, I get huge thuds when trying to switch the gear. It is very hard to come by, this same thud happens whenever I am turning a corner. When I re-accel after im arround the corner the car jumps back into gear as if the tranny / engine is about to fall out of place. Also when braking, I can feel some type of jumping going on also.
Old 12-05-2006, 07:01 PM

wow...i have the same problem the dealer sucks so im either gonna try to get it rebuilt or find a used tranny!!
Old 12-05-2006, 08:54 PM

wow, now i am worried. Is this common? Mileage for all your cars are pretty low. Maybe an extended warrenty would not be such a bad idea....
Old 12-05-2006, 10:26 PM

Originally Posted by -Sin-
wow, now i am worried. Is this common? Mileage for all your cars are pretty low. Maybe an extended warrenty would not be such a bad idea....
dont beat on it too much and ALWAYS warm up the car before running, especially with the freezing weather we're experiencing in chicago now! also check your trans fluid, just to be safe