6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Power steering failure

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2006, 11:36 AM

Power steering failure

Has anybody had their power steering system fail? Either the pump, steering rack or hose?

I dropped it off at the dealer yesterday. I think the pump is what failed from where the fluid was dripping. The car is a 2005 SE with DPP and just over 33K miles. Should be covered under warrantly. Just one of those things where I noticed a spot in my driveway on Thanksgiving and then the next day it dumped all the fluid while I was turning into a parking lot.
Old 11-26-2006, 02:23 PM

Holy smokes James! I haven't heard of that yet.....well, not until today. I am sorry to hear that, especially on Turkey Day. Hopefully your baby will be in and out of the Dr.s office. Let s know what caused it!

By the way, Happy Belated Thanksgiving

Swee
Old 11-27-2006, 10:54 PM

Well it turn out my power steering rack had an end seal that came loose. I searched couldn't find any other incidents of power steering system failures. I had the car towed to Connell Nissan on Saturday and the shop was closed for the holiday weekend. So today was their first day working on it and I got it back tonight.

While it was the the dealership they also did some other warranty work that I requested. Here is what I asked them to look at:

1) Power steering system failure (fixed)
2) Lumbar support (recall, fixed)
3) Child safety seat hold-downs (recall, fixed)
4) Electric motor noise when turning the car on/off (rear engine mount; known issue, part on order)
5) Cabin trunk release broken (oops, passenger accidently pressed lockout in glovebox, my bad)
6) Faded chrome roof trim (known issue, replaced)
7) Cracked exhaust bracket (known issue, replaced)

I was surprised that they got it back to me today. They did have to order the engine mount so I will have to go back later this week for them to replace it. But it is nice to have the car back and so quickly. Since the car only has 33K miles it was all done under warranty and at no cost to me.
Old 11-28-2006, 10:10 AM

Awesome, glad you didnt have to spring for your power steering pump issue. Usually, my dealership's great at claiming 'wear and tear.'
Also good to hear your trim was done under warranty. Mine went dull and the dealerships both claimed they hadn't heard of any known issue with them. I did get a broken windshield and the replacement company bent mine, so they were replaced anyway!
Old 11-28-2006, 04:40 PM

Yeah Connell Nissan didn't charge me for anything or try and upsell/push anything more than what I asked them to fix. I was just impressed that they did all the work in a 1-day turn-around.

As far as being mod friendly they have stillen parts and AEM intakes on the wall for display. Of course Stillen is just a couple miles around so they may be pretty familiar with the mod world and not afraid of it.
Old 11-29-2006, 12:27 AM

Excellent service trip, James. I am impressed. As much as I love my dealer and his service department, I don't think I could have gotten that much done in less than two or three trips.

I have tried to see every problem area on this board for the last three and a half years, and I don't remember a single instance of anyone having the problem you did with the power steering.

Thankfully, you got all this done under warranty.
Old 11-29-2006, 09:51 AM

Can someone elaborate on this:

4) Electric motor noise when turning the car on/off (rear engine mount; known issue, part on order)
Old 11-29-2006, 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by -Sin-
Can someone elaborate on this:

Here are the links to the issue:

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=495619
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=493832

It is a rear engine mount (11320-8Y00A part number I think) that makes some noise. I assume it is some active damping mount to help tame vibration and shock from the engine/transmission to the chassis.

Yeah I was surprised they got all that work done with no prior appointment or notice. I was figuring it would take them a couple days to get parts in and installed. Never did I think it would be just one day, otherwise I wouldn't have waited so long to do it. But yep, everything was done under warranty for free and without trying to weasel out of it and try to get some money from me.
Old 11-29-2006, 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by James_05SE
Here are the links to the issue:

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=495619
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=493832

It is a rear engine mount (11320-8Y00A part number I think) that makes some noise. I assume it is some active damping mount to help tame vibration and shock from the engine/transmission to the chassis.

Yeah I was surprised they got all that work done with no prior appointment or notice. I was figuring it would take them a couple days to get parts in and installed. Never did I think it would be just one day, otherwise I wouldn't have waited so long to do it. But yep, everything was done under warranty for free and without trying to weasel out of it and try to get some money from me.
Funny, always had that noise since day one. Always thought it was normal...
Old 11-30-2006, 06:43 PM

Connell Nissan in Costa Mesa is the most professional dealer I have dealt with. I bought and had the car fixed multiple times (warranty services). But now my Max is way out of warranty, I won't be seeing them anymore. I have seen them enough. I normally -after paying for the new car- head to the Parts dept. to buy some oil-filters and never wish to see the dealer again. The Max made me come back too many times.